two way radios?

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
How well did they work in the parks? What brand do you recommend? What is the range? How much interference did you have?

We are going this summer and due to the wide range in my children's ages we will definitely want to split up some. We are considering the purchase of radios if others have had good luck.

Two Way Radios are deffinitly a good idea. I would get a Moterolla radio with private channels (sub codes) so you arent trying to talk on one of the public channels. If you buy one of the cheper brands, you will probilbly get caguht on public channels which is nearly imposible to talk back in forth. I might be wrong but they used to rent them out at the parks for a dalily rate.

Dear sk!mom

Two years ago mf wife purchased Motorola two way Radios with 10 channels. All I can say is they were better than nothing. In the MK it was almost impossible to talk as it seamed like everyone else had the same idea. The Men might control the remote but the Women control the Radios and teenage girls like to talk.
Any way I use a Nextel Radio for work so last year My Wife purchased one. In My opinion Nextel’s are the only way to go. The walkie-talkie feature was dynamite. I had programmed My Wife’s Phone with a couple of my business numbers. One morning She had alerted my Partner by mistake and was able to talk to California on the walkie-talkie feature it was Clear as a bell. I understand you can rent them though Nextel and have them delivered to your room. Hope this Helps.
Searl

We had some a few years ago, the Motorola talkabout. I remember talking to DD at WL from MK(Main St.). We also talked to our DDs spread out all over MK. As the kids got older, we all just took our cell phones:rolleyes:

We just bought a pair of the Disney Motorola ones on clearance at Target yesterday!! :bounce: They have the 14 channels, 38 subs and a 2 mile range. You can 'call' as Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Daisy or Donald. :teeth: We had an older set without the subs and even when we were camping, it was really hard not to get interference or someone 'hijacking' your call. :earseek: I can't wait to give them the use in the parks!!:hyper:

We have the Motorola Talkabout T6400 and they worked great in every park!
We also use them at home daily. My DD lives about 5 blocks from us and has one phone line at home. When she's online on the computer, she turns on the walkie talkie, and we can still be in contact if needed.
(Just remember that the advertised 2 mile or 5 mile range does NOT compute in the real world!)

May i ask how much u paid for them??????? i need 4, do you think all targets have the disney ones!!!!! thanks disneykid:wave:

They were $24.99 for the pair of them. I don't know if all Targets have them. Don't see why they wouldn't though! :sunny:

My sister took 2 sets with them on their last trip. She said they had a clear channel the whole time they were there! I hope I luck out that good!!

I bought the ones on Amazon (buzz lightyear and mickey classic) 2 sets and It was much cheaper than Target. Actually our Targert just stoped offering these so Amazon might be your better choice than hunting them down. :0) I cant wait to try them i the park 2 days to go!!!!:Pinkbounc

i agree about the public channels. i had several conversations with other guests who answered each time id call my brother. most of them were amusing, however the only negative disney experience we had revolved around the radios. the last day of our trip while at dtd, my wife and i split up and were talking about lunch plans on the radios. some person with an accent continually harrassed us on the radio making it impossible to talk.the person was rude and rubbed my last nerve raw to the point of arranging a not so disney meeting with the jerk to discuss diplomacy. i highly recommend nextel or private channels.

I had two different kinds of 2 way radios a few years back, and both were a mess. I picked up so many other conversations, and could barely hear my own. Well, this year I'm hoping that Sprints new "R-Link" will work perfectly in the parks. Has anyone used it. (FYI: R-Link is sprints version of the walkie talkie cell phones - like Nextel). I had a Nextel cell years ago, but it doesn't work well in the south, so I'm going to have my fingers cross with Sprints.

It looks like these models take 4 AAA batteries. I wonder how long the battery life is? I know they have rechargable models & wonder if they are woth the extra money. I guess if you could use rechargable AAA batteries that would be great. I use rechargable AA batteries on my Canon A70 digital camera and they last a whole lot longer than regular batteries. Does anyone how many hours the batteries last?

This battery question interests me as well.

And, if I purchase a model with sub-channels, am I pretty much guaranteed a "private channel".......or will there still be a chance of others on the channel? I guess I just don't understand how they work.

:sunny:

My target has tons of these for 20.98. I mean they must have 20-30 of both the princess and the Mickey mouse.

I will be happy to pick up a set for anyone that wants one.

Aryn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter