You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

April 15 - 21, 2024
5K training week 4

In which I have no idea what day it is

1713717490588.png
This week's schedule

Monday
Easy/strides: 6.09 miles (10:07), avg. HR 151, max 173, 90% Z1-2
Lower body strength/HIIT

My Achilles was making me a little nervous, so I started out super duper easy. Fortunately I didn't have any problems with it, so I got back to normal kind of out of habit. Pretty good run overall.

The strength/HIIT was one of those routines I've done many times over the years but not in a while, so it was cool to see gains. I was lifting heavier on the strength sets and feeling less tired on the HIIT. While I wasn't too tired, I was feeling kind of fatigued by the time I finished (don't ask me to explain the difference but there is one). I think it's a combination of still recovering from the long run/race on Saturday and probably not getting enough protein afterwards. Nutrition is too complicated 😩

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 7.29 miles (9:32), avg. HR 155, max 178, 86% Z1-2
Core

It was a fairly pleasant morning and a fairly pleasant run. I do keep having this issue where I start doing strides and my HR goes up and just doesn't go back down again (especially when I'm already running uphill). I have just kind of given up on trying to fix this.

Wednesday
off

I finally hung my medal racks! I am still slightly afraid of the drill. (Am I the only one who looks at power tools and just sees easy ways to maim yourself by accident? 🫣)

IMG_4956.jpg
Two racks with medals hanging from them with bibs from my PR races in between, because by the time I realized the racks were weirdly far apart, I had already made a bunch of holes in the wall

Thursday
Workout: 1.54 mile WU/strides + 4 x 45s @ 1MP/90s RI + 10 min @ LTP + 2 min RI + 4 x 45s @ 1MP/90s RI + 1.75 mile CD
Split paces: 6:13, 6:39, 6:55, 5:57; 7:25; 6:39, 6:11, 5:43, 6:18
GAP splits: 6:07, 6:10, 5:38, 5:59; 7:24; 6:09, 6:02, 5:59, 6:13
Total: 6.97 miles, 1:04:00, avg. HR 159, max 193

Total body strength

1713717956426.png
Workout analysis (GAP) chart

That was hard.

I mostly mean it was hard work, but pacing is also hard. I have to get used to the GAP on the trail again (though Strava's calculations always seem a little questionable to me). Regardless, though, I was probably going too fast on most of the mile pace intervals - paces with a "5" in front are definitely beyond my current fitness 😅 I wasn't too bad on the LT portion of the sandwich, especially for not being used to these paces. It was a struggle to keep that up in the second half of the interval, though. And I was walking the first half of the recovery intervals in the second set 🥵

It did not help that I had technical difficulties with my water bottle which resulted in only having water for the first mile or so. The little plastic piece that keeps the water from spilling out when you're not drinking from it stopped keeping the water from spilling out, and that clearly wasn't working for a speed workout. I tucked it behind a log and picked it up on my way back. Does anyone else have a problem with Nathan water bottles constantly breaking? I've had like six different models since I started running regularly two years ago and they've all died an extremely inconvenient death 😑

Anyway, even though I'm still working on the pacing, I feel like it was a success just to get through that workout without dying, so overall it's a win 🙌

I didn't have time to do my strength workout right when I got back from my run, and by the time I got to it, I was feeling really tired and wasn't sure how it would go. But I actually felt better when I was moving. I definitely didn't get as many rounds in as Nicole, but I was just happy it didn't suck as much as I thought it might. (That seems to be a theme for the day.)

Friday
Easy: 6.3 miles (9:56), avg. HR 151, max 169 (?)
Core

I was feeling tired after Thursday's workout, so I was a bit sluggish starting out. It was cooler than it had been for the past few days, which wasn't the worst thing but I did kind of wish I had long sleeves. After a few stiff, chilly minutes, though, I felt okay for the most part.

I did the core workout as kind of a warmup, and it was...more difficult than I was expecting. My legs kept twitching on the reverse crunches 😬

Saturday
Long: 13.21 miles (9:39), ???
Yoga

I enjoyed some quite pleasant running weather this morning. It was about mid-50s and cloudy when I went out, which is pretty much my ideal. Since my handheld was broken, I took my hydration vest with half a liter of Skratch and half a liter of plain water (and finished about half of the water and most of the Skratch). First time I've used that in a while!

All in all, a pretty good run. I think I was going a teensy bit harder than I maybe should have, but it was hard to tell, at least from my HR, because my watch was cadence-locked for like 8 miles. Le sigh.

In addition to the water and Skratch, I had two GUs and a UCAN gel. Also my abs were sore from Friday 😅

I did the yoga in the afternoon, and mostly I did the easier version of everything because I was tired. BUT I did feel the most balanced I ever have trying Dancer! So that was exciting. Also the dog wanted to help 🤣

yoga friend.jpg
My dog "helping" me with yoga by laying his head in my lap

Sunday
Easy/strides: 6.14 miles (10:20), avg. HR 154, max 167, 98% Z1-2
Upper body strength

Why is it cold again?? It was in the 40s when I got up, and I didn't like it 🥶 I saved my run for the afternoon when it was at least above 50. My legs felt kind of heavy, but otherwise it was okay.

Totals
Running: 7h 28m, 46 miles
Strength/mobility: 2h 16m
Total: 9h 45m

1713742169311.png
Weekly training log

So I successfully kept my long run on Saturday, but then I was really confused about what day it was. Like, yesterday afternoon I was trying to see when people I know finished London, and I was so confused about why the results weren't up yet. And then I realized the race wasn't until the next day 🤣 Moral of the story: you can change when you do your runs, but changing when you think you do your runs takes longer!

Coming up
1713742367166.png
Next week's schedule

Well, I decided it wouldn't hurt to add some speedwork to my long runs, so I'm doing a classic 5K workout with at least 4 extra miles added on 🫠 We'll see how it goes!

I'll also probably keep the schedule shifted back a day, but it's too much work to update the spreadsheet 🙃

I love your two medal racks for DC and Disney!

I have a Nathan speed draw water bottle and the top broke on mine, same issue as you had. Thankfully I found you can buy replacement tops on Amazon!

April 22 - 28, 2024
5K training week 5

In which I crash and burn

1714343502697.png
This week's schedule

Monday
Easy/strides: 6.21 miles (9:35), avg. HR 157, max 173, 77% Z1-2?
Lower body strength

Started out too fast. Mostly because I was cold and I wanted to be warmer. It sort of worked, but then I ended up working harder than I should have in the last couple of miles. I used to be good at keeping my easy runs easy...

Random vignette: While I was running along the Potomac, I looked out and saw a mama duck with a little fleet of ducklings! I really wished I had brought my phone so I could take a picture.

Also my Saucony Endorphin Speed 3s now have 450+ miles on them but still feel the same as the new pair I wore at the Princess Half (because they matched my outfit). I usually get 300-400 miles out of my shoes, so that's pretty impressive.

The strength workout was new to me. It took a second to get the hang of some of the exercises (especially because I was using a dumbbell instead of a kettlebell), but I liked it. However, for some reason as I was finishing the workout/doing my heel drops afterwards, I was STARVING. I ended up stuffing candied pecans in my face while I was stretching 😅

Tuesday
Easy/strides: 6.25 miles (9:57), avg. HR 149?
Core

I was really trying to take it easy, and I did fairly well. I did order a new cap for my handheld thanks to @nancipants, but it hadn't arrived yet, so I decided to run around the Mall because most of the water fountains there actually work. It was mostly fine; I just wish groups would realize that other people are also using public spaces and not take up the entire sidewalk 🙄

My throat started aching at some point on Monday, even though I was JUST sick last month. I woke up with it feeling extra scratchy, but otherwise I was okay, and it wasn't really noticeable while I was running. But no more illnesses!

Wednesday
off (yoga)

Maybe it's just allergies.

Thursday
Workout: 2.5 miles easy/strides + 15 min steady + 6 min @ LTP + 4 min @ CV + 2 min RI + 4 x 30s @ 1MP/1 min RI + 1 mile CD
Total: 7.63 miles, avg. HR 166, max 186 (?)

Total body strength

1714343856511.png
1714343880042.png
Strava workout analysis chart and lap splits

I think it's just allergies. I felt fine during my workout other than all the sniffling. (I mean, it was hard, but it's a workout. It's supposed to be hard.)

I was freezing for whole warmup, but once I started working harder it was fine. Sometimes I sort of envy people who drive to their starting point and can do their warmup and then drop a jacket back at the car. But it's much easier to run from my house, and I can use the mile or two to the trail to warm up without worrying about traffic lights messing up my workout.

My pacing was pretty good for the most part. I didn't look at my watch during the mile-pace intervals, but also Apple and Strava disagree about the paces on those. I think they were too short to get good data. I definitely could have run faster, so I'm not worried about it.

I was pretty tired for the rest of the day, but not too tired to get stuff done so it's fine.

Friday
Easy: 6.15 miles (10:29), avg. HR 150, max 162, 100% Z1-2
Core

My main goal with this run was to take it easy so I could recover between Thursday and Saturday's hard days. It was fairly successful.

Saturday
Long/workout: 4.5 miles easy/strides + 6 4.75 x 800m @ 5KP/1 min RI + 5 miles easy
Interval split paces: 7:01, 7:01, 6:50, 7:03, 7:03 (620m)
GAP: 6:55, 7:10, 6:50, 6:56, 6:58 (620m)
Total: 12.29 miles, 2:03:00

1714344982724.png
Strava pace analysis chart

Well. That did not go as planned.

I was generally fine for the easy portion. Annoyingly I did have to pee about 15 minutes in, but luckily I was still coming up to the real bathrooms on the Mall so I didn't have to use the Gravelly Point port-a-potties, which are gross. There were more people out than I was expecting on a fairly cool and cloudy morning, but I guess everyone is ready for spring. I did a few strides coming up on the workout part, which required some extra strategizing because of all the people on the trail, and then I was ready to go.

Interval #1: Hard but doable. A little fast, especially at the beginning, oops.

Interval #2: Similarly hard but doable and starting too fast. Also I remembered I was supposed to have had a gel at 4 miles and did not. I walked the rest interval so I could belatedly take the gel.

Interval #3: Getting harder. Walked most of the recovery again, this time because I was tired.

Interval #4: Really hard. Breathing is no longer matched with cadence. Walked the rest period again.

Interval #5: Actively in the process of dying. Pace started to drop off and ended the interval around 600m.

Interval #6: Skipped

After partial interval #5, I walked for a couple of minutes before getting back to a jog. The rest of the run was okay except for a mile or so later where I had to walk again, this time because of a side stitch. It went away after a few minutes, though, and then I went back to running.

So that's not exactly what I was aiming for.

I have some takeaways:

1. Probably not running a 7 flat pace in a 5K in the near future (especially if I start out at 6:30-6:40). I was actually supposed to be doing a 7:05 pace, and I don't know if the extra few seconds would have made a difference, but that seems pretty ambitious right now too 🫤

2. Maybe don't have your first real work at race pace be a really hard workout in the middle of a long run. This wouldn't have been an easy workout on its own, but on fairly tired legs and starting 5 miles into a long run was maybe not the wisest plan.

3. Whatever happened to running by feel? I'm actually not terrible at that when I think about it, but I was thinking pace instead and kept starting too aggressively, which certainly didn't help.

Anyway, that was a bit disappointing, but I learned some things 🤷‍♀️

Sunday
Easy: 6.3 miles (10:30), avg. HR 152, max 163, 100% Z1-2
Upper body strength

It was a pleasant morning for an easy run. These days on Sundays I usually run up Massachusetts Ave and back, which makes for lots of hills. This time I paid a quick visit to my grad school alma mater so I could pee and grab a drink of water, and circling back I got to run up a VERY steep hill 😬

Totals
Running: 7h 24m, 44.86 miles
Strength/mobility: 2h 3m
Total: 9h 27m

1714345175971.png
Weekly training log

Um, Strava...what the heck happened with the color scheme?? Ick.

Coming up
1714345299281.png
Next week's schedule

More hills and another long run workout, though hopefully this one will go a little better.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter