The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

I have always used safety pins. For 2022 and the 2023 Princess, I attached my number to my running belt, making loops using some thin velcro strips so that I could easily detach one side and unbuckle the belt.
I had pretty good results with that.

But I was recently at a conference and rather impressed by magnetic name tags, so I ordered these tiny magnets off Amazon and will try them over the weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/FINDMAG-Refr...8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

My family and I did the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party in what I had originally intended on being our 2024 Disneyland 5k costumes. Although the recent costume guidelines language has me thinking I'll need to edit them a bit to get approval. But I spent a lot of time making these (about 5 months and 250 hrs all-in), so it was fun to enjoy them at Disney nonetheless. You can read the links if you want to see more.

Mike and Marty Wazowski Costume Design recap (it's a long read over several months)
2023 Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party Trip Report

1698170676632.png

My family and I did the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party in what I had originally intended on being our 2024 Disneyland 5k costumes. Although the recent costume guidelines language has me thinking I'll need to edit them a bit to get approval. But I spent a lot of time making these (about 5 months and 250 hrs all-in), so it was fun to enjoy them at Disney nonetheless. You can read the links if you want to see more.
They turned out amazing and I especially love how the eyeballs are looking at each other in this shot!

Mike and Marty Wazowski Costume Design recap (it's a long read over several months)
2023 Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party Trip Report

View attachment 804796
Great costumes. Kudos on having a family that will join in the fun.

This whole cricut thing is just a giant money-pit for me. :crazy: Suuuuure. Have an idea, have it not work out, buy more vinyl. Try again. Nope. Buy different vinyl. Repeat.

Anyhow, I went back to the drawing-board for my marathon shirt when my previous cut wasn't even remotely coming out clean (too many tiny details) when I stumbled across holographic dot-mosaic HTV. I ordered some stuff last week and it got delivered today.

First of all, this is what it showed the color I ordered is supposed to look like:
mosaic advertising.png
I thought it was going to be kind of ombre (in Dopey colors even!) with holographic effects, but it's not.

But when I open the package, it's very.....red. And not ombre. Maybe that's because of whatever k-value my kitchen lights are, but I'm not as excited as I was when I was looking at pictures online.

And now I'm trying to decide between a very generic "RUN" for the front of a shirt (making it easy to re-use for local races, etc) or putting a 48.6 on the front (because: Dopey.) And I don't know if I want to change my shirt's base color.
48.6 purple on pink.png48.6 purple on black.png48.6 purple on white.pngbig run.png
I don't know that I'd do the "negative space" version of the 'run' idea just because I don't think I want that much HTV on the front of a marathon shirt.

Also taking suggestions for how to add something birthday-related.

Last edited:
Sometimes the vinyl comes out a totally different color when you apply the heat. Do a little test corner on scrap fabric before you commit to the full design, but I'm betting it's not the color you are seeing now.

I really like that Dopey design, and would try to use it over generic RUN, but that's just me.

Maybe you could add "Birthday Girl" or "Wish me Happy Birthday" across the back of the shirt where a name would be on a jersey?

ADVICE NEEDED!

Because I'm doing three races at WDW and all three at DL in January and am not able to travel home in between, I've settled on three costumes that I will wear more than once: Vintage 50s Pluto (5K both), Daisy (10K DL, Half WDW) and Minnie (10K WDW, Half DL).

Each will consist of a character themed top and "poodle" skirt. I'll buy the tops on Etsy (pics below) and I'm making simple circle skirts to wear over a fluffy crinoline. For the "poodle" on each, I'm using characters, which brings me to my question.

I was going to go with Pluto on all three skirts, but as I got to digging for appliques, I was inspired to get more creative. Tell me what you think about this:

Minnie's "poodle" (on a red skirt): Pluto
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.42.36 AM.png

Pluto's "poodle" (on a yellow skirt): Goofy (To play off the "IS Goofy a dog?" debate)
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.42.23 AM.png

OR Mickey and Minnie?
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.42.46 AM.png

OR keep it simple and just put Pluto on Pluto?

Daisy's "poodle" (on a lavender skirt): Angry Donald
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.42.55 AM.png

OR do I just go with Pluto?

I tend to get a little too clever with my costumes and them I'm annoyed when nobody gets the details, so please call me out if this is getting too in the weeds!

Other bits of the costumes I'm about to order:
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.45.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.45.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-22 at 11.45.38 AM.png

I am obsessed with these visors as I always struggle with glare, and it's a pain to have glasses, ears AND a hat or visor. I may not bother with the Pluto one, since the 5Ks are so early, but I love the little extra bit of costume effect from the design on the visor.

Last edited:
ADVICE NEEDED!

Because I'm doing three races at WDW and all three at DL in January and am not able to travel home in between, I've settled on three costumes that I will wear more than once: Vintage 50s Pluto (5K both), Daisy (10K DL, Half WDW) and Minnie (10K WDW, Half DL).

Each will consist of a character themed top and "poodle" skirt. I'll buy the tops on Etsy (pics below) and I'm making simple circle skirts to wear over a fluffy crinoline. For the "poodle" on each, I'm using characters, which brings me to my question.

I was going to go with Pluto on all three skirts, but as I got to digging for appliques, I was inspired to get more creative. Tell me what you think about this:

Minnie's "poodle" (on a red skirt): Pluto
View attachment 812672

Pluto's "poodle" (on a yellow skirt): Goofy
View attachment 812673

OR Mickey and Minnie?
View attachment 812675

OR keep it simple and just put Pluto on Pluto?

Daisy's "poodle" (on a lavender skirt): Angry Donald
View attachment 812676

OR do I just go with Pluto?

I tend to get a little too clever with my costumes and them I'm annoyed when nobody gets the details, so please call me out if this is getting too in the weeds!

Other bits of the costumes I'm about to order:
View attachment 812678View attachment 812677View attachment 812679

I am obsessed with these visors as I always struggle with glare, and it's a pain to have glasses, ears AND a hat or visor. I may not bother with the Pluto one, since the 5Ks are so early, but I love the little extra bit of costume effect from the design on the visor.
First off obsessed with the visors
As for the skirts I’d go with Pluto on the Pluto one or just a paw print
Mickey in minnie or just a mouse ears
Donald or just a duck outline or a Daisy on Daisy’s

I agree with keeping your costumes with separate themes.

I'm doing Daisy for the half at MW as well (inverse twinning as mine is purple with pink accents!) and I also looked at those visors but I couldn't get over "mouse ears" on a duck hat :upsidedow so I have a big pink bow headband and I'll just squint behind my sunglasses.

I definitely am leaning toward different patches for the different costumes, so thanks for the validation there. I also just found this, which could go on the Pluto skirt if we don't like the current options...

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 12.44.46 PM.png

I definitely am leaning toward different patches for the different costumes, so thanks for the validation there. I also just found this, which could go on the Pluto skirt if we don't like the current options...

View attachment 812693
I worry the pluto might blend in with the yellow skirt. My first thought was chip n dale because I always associate the three of them but I think a standard mickey silhouette would look nice too.

I'm planning on making a pluto costume for my son and I for MW 5k (I know, super creative). Thoughts on which yellow fabric I should order? I was originally leaning more towards the grapefruit, but now that I see them side by side, I'm worried it's too muted?

1700699881273.png1700699898432.png

I'm planning on making a pluto costume for my son and I for MW 5k (I know, super creative). Thoughts on which yellow fabric I should order? I was originally leaning more towards the grapefruit, but now that I see them side by side, I'm worried it's too muted?

View attachment 812767View attachment 812768
I would go with flashy. You are running in the dark and want to be recognized as Pluto.

Went to my PT this morning before work. They lent me red shorts for the session. I am thinking that if I don’t have time to do anything elaborate before Springtime Surprise, this would be a totally cool look for the Lion King 10M (with hints of Mickey Mouse by extension). The T-shirt, purchased at the Broadway show, is cotton but I would survive that distance with it.

1700745630944.jpeg

Ok folks, I'm planning my costumes for Disneyland in January and need advice. My friends and I are doing Avengers themed for one of the races, and I want to do Kate Bishop. Problem is I'm not totally sure how to go about this costume and make it obvious. I don't think I can carry a prop bow and arrow unless it was comically tiny and/or obviously a toy (inflatable). Without the prop, It's basically just a purple shirt and black pants. Any creative thoughts here on the forums?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter