The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Ok folks, I'm planning my costumes for Disneyland in January and need advice. My friends and I are doing Avengers themed for one of the races, and I want to do Kate Bishop. Problem is I'm not totally sure how to go about this costume and make it obvious. I don't think I can carry a prop bow and arrow unless it was comically tiny and/or obviously a toy (inflatable). Without the prop, It's basically just a purple shirt and black pants. Any creative thoughts here on the forums?
IMHO, you'll need to visit a toy store (or aisle) and find a plastic bow and quiver. Carpal tunnel says I can't hold anything while I run, so I would be running with the bow slung cross body. I would like to think that you'll be allowed to wear it if it is obviously a kids toy. Maybe chop the arrows down to be just the aft section to be protruding from the quiver (put a block of florist foam or similar in there to poke the stubs into), lest anyone think you are bringing dangerous weapons.

Other than wearing a giant "Kate" name tag, that's the best I've got. Otherwise you might want to look at a different character.

Ok folks, I'm planning my costumes for Disneyland in January and need advice. My friends and I are doing Avengers themed for one of the races, and I want to do Kate Bishop. Problem is I'm not totally sure how to go about this costume and make it obvious. I don't think I can carry a prop bow and arrow unless it was comically tiny and/or obviously a toy (inflatable). Without the prop, It's basically just a purple shirt and black pants. Any creative thoughts here on the forums?
Props are definitely going to be key. Assuming DL has the same rules as WDW, some sort of quiver, hip pouch of “arrow tips” or a one-eyed golden retriever plush might help a lot.

Get a Pizza Dog plush. <3

Her universe has some specific workout outfits that are super cute. I have been eyeing them. I.linked the shorts. They had really cute workout jacket though is sold out though. https://www.heruniverse.com/product...hawkeye-kate-bishop-bike-shorts/18099925.html

I've run as Merida a few times and found a miniature bow and quiver with arrows on Etsy. I used a carabiner to attach it to my running belt. I think that in addition to the suggestions above would do the trick!

Adding lights to a tutu. I know it's been done. In my head, I'm going to be able to just find some sort of "net" type lights that I can arrange between layers and tack in place (and all of the ones I'm finding so far are like 4 or 5' x 8'.) I'm assuming there's going to be a battery pack (which I'm planning on stashing in shorts pockets, or under the skirt in as spi belt. I don't want to go the fully customized route, so if anyone knows of a pre-made thing (google hasn't helped me so far) that I can add to skirts I already own, I would appreciate a link. :)

Last edited:
Adding lights to a tutu. I know it's been done. In my head, I'm going to be able to just find some sort of "net" type lights that I can arrange between layers and tack in place (and all of the ones I'm finding so far are like 4 or 5' x 8'.) I'm assuming there's going to be a battery pack (which I'm planning on stashing in shorts pockets, or under the skirt in as spi belt. I don't want to go the fully customized route, so if anyone knows of a pre-made thing (google hasn't helped me so far) that I can add to skirts I already own, I would appreciate a link. :)
I think all the pre-lit tutus I’ve seen are just strings of fairy lights inside a ”pocket” of tulle within the tutu; I don’t think there’s a tiny net of fairy lights available. Though that sounds very useful 😁

This is the season to get those fun, battery powered lights! Amazon I'm sure has fun choices too.

Yep, @Naomeri is right - the lit skirts I've purchased are just the little 20-string LED tacked in a few spots in the tulle with a tiny button battery box and switch. It's an easy DIY and the lights usually come in a box with several strings if you want to load up. Some of my skirts have a little liner pocket near a seam or in the waistband for the battery/switch. I've also seen tiny elastic loops to hold them. I find them easier to turn on/off from a seam in the skirt rather than the waistband.

I think all the pre-lit tutus I’ve seen are just strings of fairy lights inside a ”pocket” of tulle within the tutu; I don’t think there’s a tiny net of fairy lights available. Though that sounds very useful 😁

Yeah that's we had for DD for the Princess 5k. We sewed a set of fairy lights to the hem of her dress. (and I write the word sew liberally as both DH and I have absolutely no talent for sewing)

Does anyone have any tips for applying HTV to drifit/heatgear type shirts? I'm trying to get my marathon tank finished up, and the directions say 330deg for 25 sec for my particular HTV, onto polyester. I have a cricut easypress, so I'm not trying to do things with a home iron. I just don't want to melt the shirt.

I've done a couple of searches and seen mentions of like....lower temp for a longer press, teflon sheets (which I don't have), but those pages are also using more commercial-style equipment and just kind of run through everything quickly.

Does anyone have any tips for applying HTV to drifit/heatgear type shirts? I'm trying to get my marathon tank finished up, and the directions say 330deg for 25 sec for my particular HTV, onto polyester. I have a cricut easypress, so I'm not trying to do things with a home iron. I just don't want to melt the shirt.

I've done a couple of searches and seen mentions of like....lower temp for a longer press, teflon sheets (which I don't have), but those pages are also using more commercial-style equipment and just kind of run through everything quickly.
Would parchment paper provide some protection?

I used the press at the library when I put vinyl on the 4way stretch fabric for my costumes. They did have teflon sheets. I could go see later what was the temperature setting. If you can test a little corner, that would be best.

A quick research: At what temperature does polyester melt? approximately 482°F

I was planning on using parchment between the shirt layers, and possible between the iron and the HTV. But heat is heat. 😬
When I've used HTV on faux leather (which can't have direct heat applied to it), I've put a scrap piece of cotton woven between my iron and the HTV. You could try doing that.

Going through some stuff and found my 2009 Marathon shirt. Worn once, if ever, because I don't care for long sleeves unless a tie is also involved, which is seldom any more.
So unlike the half-marathon shirt, which I've worn with raggedly cut off sleeves for 14 years, I decided to properly cut off and hem the sleeves of the marathon shirt.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this moisture wicking material is a PITA to work with! It is a pain to cut smoothly, it is a pain to stitch cleanly. I have no idea how they mass produce shirts that look decent. Mine looks ok, but plenty good enough for runs and casual wearing.
So, here 'tis.

I also have to say that I love how the current shirts and medals are much more colorful and don't resemble each other at a glance.

Attachments

• IMG_9014.jpg
    IMG_9014.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 38
Going through some stuff and found my 2009 Marathon shirt. Worn once, if ever, because I don't care for long sleeves unless a tie is also involved, which is seldom any more.
So unlike the half-marathon shirt, which I've worn with raggedly cut off sleeves for 14 years, I decided to properly cut off and hem the sleeves of the marathon shirt.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this moisture wicking material is a PITA to work with! It is a pain to cut smoothly, it is a pain to stitch cleanly. I have no idea how they mass produce shirts that look decent. Mine looks ok, but plenty good enough for runs and casual wearing.
So, here 'tis.

I also have to say that I love how the current shirts and medals are much more colorful and don't resemble each other at a glance.
My mom has made both of my tshirt quilts. She said she wouldn’t do it again after the first quilt because the tech shirts made it really difficult. Then she offered to make me a second one and I was surprised. After she finished she said it really would be the last one because of the tech shirts 😆

Just have to finish up the visor, take in the elastic on the skirt, and this one is D.O.N.E.

I had to re cut the shirt decal as the original one was too long and would have had most of the .6 tucked into my skirt. I also cut a “rundopey” decal for my visor, but I may go with more of the “diamonds” instead. Or both. I’m not sure yet.

730C41F4-74C7-46B8-8E94-5F2FD7C14272.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter