The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

Guessing liability and injury risk, and they may have gotten some complaints. The first costume I thought of with regard to these rules was the guy running as the Pixar Lamp in April, spending an entire 10 miles with a lamp arm bouncing around as he ran through HS. Fun costume? Absolutely. A problem for other runners? 🤷‍♂️
Specifically mentioning cardboard costumes with hard edges? Hm.

Just dug back to my photos of the ten miler, forgot there was also a guy dressed as The Claw, probably had some people dressed as two person Slinky Dogs too. Really think this event is where they realized they have to rein it in.

Just dug back to my photos of the ten miler, forgot there was also a guy dressed as The Claw, probably had some people dressed as two person Slinky Dogs too. Really think this event is where they realized they have to rein it in.

There were some ladies dressed as the Kumandra dragons during W&D last year. Very pretty costumes, but not the most practical and certainly not the safest. I'm glad they don't allow "multiple participant" costumes anymore tbh

I'm all for creativity, and it's fun to see what people have come up with, but yeah, it felt like there was a subset trying to out-do each other to end up on rD's Instagram.

I STILL am uneasy about my costume that includes a tulle petticoat under a dress. It’s the equivalent of a tutu: just layers of tulle, knee-length, no wires, hoops, or anything rigid, stands out maybe 4-5” from my body… but does the thin dress material over it somehow make it “layered”? Or a “ball gown”?? I mean, I’ll have shorts or leggings underneath, so if necessary, I’m happy to pull it off and they can pat it down and inspect it thoroughly, but again - if tutus are fine, this seem like it should be, too - right???

I STILL am uneasy about my costume that includes a tulle petticoat under a dress. It’s the equivalent of a tutu: just layers of tulle, knee-length, no wires, hoops, or anything rigid, stands out maybe 4-5” from my body… but does the thin dress material over it somehow make it “layered”? Or a “ball gown”?? I mean, I’ll have shorts or leggings underneath, so if necessary, I’m happy to pull it off and they can pat it down and inspect it thoroughly, but again - if tutus are fine, this seem like it should be, too - right???
I wouldn’t worry about that. I really think these rules are aimed at the crazy costumes that get in other peoples’ way on the course.

I wouldn't worry either. If they didn't allow tulle, they'd be banning half the costumes during Princess Weekend. If they allowed this monstrosity, I doubt a layer of tulle would be a problem :)
2022-02-25 - runDisney Walt Disney World - runDisney Finish Line bis.jpeg

To make it simple, I think the framework of the new rules is two-fold:

- Is there a risk that the costume might injure the racer?
- Is there a risk that this costume might injure other racers?

And given the crowding that happens at these races, if there’s a risk that if a racer trips and falls due to their costume, others around them might be at risk too.

Anyway, the skirts are fine IMO. I'm pretty curious about the motivation of the layering rule, it seems to me that someone(s) snuck in something that they shouldn’t have but I’m not sure what. TBH it’s the sort of thing that should be caught by security but they kinda wave people through quickly so maybe they miss stuff.

How do you all like to attach your bib numbers to your costumes? Plain old safety pins or specialty bib magnets (brand?) or ??? Thanks!

How do you all like to attach your bib numbers to your costumes? Plain old safety pins or specialty bib magnets (brand?) or ??? Thanks!
I use safety pins and never have an issue, butI don't re-use costumes so I guess I wouldn't notice if there were holes! Anyway safety pins seem to work fine for me.

I’ve always used safety pins in the past, but at the expo for my most recent race, I got some RaceDots magnets and they worked very nicely.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter