Running on Fumes from Start to Finish

Whew girl! I am so far behind but first thing congrats on finishing your race. If I ever can get into running like I almost did a few years ago, it definitely will be a Disney race and I would be all the way in the back! I will not pretend that I am a fast runner or walker for that matter.
Glad you guys got to eat breakfast. I heard that kouzzina was closing and I am sad that I never got to eat there. Kind of bums me out since I studied aboard in Greece and Cyprus and loved the food.
Good thing you can count Zoe for a early ADR, just like Devyn. Back in 2010, e went to eat alone because the rest of the group was not having it. I haven't tried tusker house yet but it is on my list for next may. I understand how you felt about that bathroom situation . in a completely different but bathroom situation, Dev is still not at the age where I will let him go alone but he notices that he is a boy and wants to go in the boys bathroom, I literally have to drag him in the girls. I love when I can find a family restroom.
I felt so rushed on our last trip to AK and we are not even going in September, I am ready for next may so I can go to tusker house and spend some time there. I know some people say it's only a half day park but we never are able to do everything we want when we go.

I remember restaurantosaurus when it was McDonalds. I think we went in there. Anyway, even of it was only a drink order, I agree that someone should have asked what you needed. :eek: Sure, they were busy but I am sure someone saw you standing there more than once.

Did Kira say if her wait was longer because they were letting so many runners on right away? I love that they let runners do that, but I've always wondered if people get mad because it slows the line down.

That picture of Zoe on the safari is so cute! What a look of wonder!

OKW looks fantastic!!! This is your home resort, right? Gosh, it looks so beautiful and the room looks great! I agree that being able to wash smelly, sweaty race clothes is an awesome convenience. I'm hoping we can sneak in there last minute for October on a point rental!

Whew girl! I am so far behind but first thing congrats on finishing your race. If I ever can get into running like I almost did a few years ago, it definitely will be a Disney race and I would be all the way in the back! I will not pretend that I am a fast runner or walker for that matter.

You totally should! It doesn't matter what your speed. Disney races are really fun for all.

Glad you guys got to eat breakfast. I heard that kouzzina was closing and I am sad that I never got to eat there. Kind of bums me out since I studied aboard in Greece and Cyprus and loved the food.

I am super sad about it. I had plans (as I always do) for it to be a post race breakfast in the fall. Sadly, it will not even have been closed for a week by the time we have our post race breakfast.

Good thing you can count Zoe for a early ADR, just like Devyn. Back in 2010, e went to eat alone because the rest of the group was not having it. I haven't tried tusker house yet but it is on my list for next may. I understand how you felt about that bathroom situation . in a completely different but bathroom situation, Dev is still not at the age where I will let him go alone but he notices that he is a boy and wants to go in the boys bathroom, I literally have to drag him in the girls. I love when I can find a family restroom.

Zoe is great about getting up with me. The guys are just not morning people. :rolleyes:

As for the potty break.. yeah, the age of your ds makes it hard. They definitely want to have some independence, but they are just a wee bit too young for that. Soon enough though he will be old enough...and this time will be but a distant memory. The years go by WAY to fast.

I felt so rushed on our last trip to AK and we are not even going in September, I am ready for next may so I can go to tusker house and spend some time there. I know some people say it's only a half day park but we never are able to do everything we want when we go.

We always go multiple times to AK on a trip. Not sure how you could make it a half day unless all you did was ride EE and Dinosaur and then leave. What about the safari? The animal treks? And if you have a child that stops at the dino dig???? forget it... you will be there all day for sure!!!

I remember restaurantosaurus when it was McDonalds. I think we went in there. Anyway, even of it was only a drink order, I agree that someone should have asked what you needed. :eek: Sure, they were busy but I am sure someone saw you standing there more than once.

Funny how McD's kinda just went away from the parks ever so silently. At least to me it was. I don't remember any big notifications.

As for the drink order... I agree. Someone MUST have seen me so why not ask what I was waiting on. :confused3

Did Kira say if her wait was longer because they were letting so many runners on right away? I love that they let runners do that, but I've always wondered if people get mad because it slows the line down.

Well, Kira got there right at rope drop so there wasn't a lot of people outside of the runners who were there. I do think her wait was slightly longer...but not long in the true sense of how it can be. Just longer than if she were first there at rope drop. Not by much though...just a scootch ;) I think no one was angry because they all were happy to cheer on the runners.

That picture of Zoe on the safari is so cute! What a look of wonder!

Ya know, Zoe is my straggler. We waited and tried (sorry tmi) for a long time to have her. I initially thought that I was unhappy with the 10 year gap between her and Alex. Now though, I feel it worked out perfectly because I still have one smallish one to see wonder and awe through. She is a true blessing in my life. :goodvibes

OKW looks fantastic!!! This is your home resort, right? Gosh, it looks so beautiful and the room looks great! I agree that being able to wash smelly, sweaty race clothes is an awesome convenience. I'm hoping we can sneak in there last minute for October on a point rental!

OKW is our home. I do like it there. I think it is perfect that we have our first contract there and the one with the most points. With race weekends and the 11 month window, I am guaranteed a place to stay that I will be happy at. Problem is... I also want to stay other places AND race weekends fill up fast and by the 7 month window things tend to be full.

So are you hoping to get a studio there during ToT? Sadly, I think the only availability is at SSR. I have been waiting and hoping for a waitlist at BWV to come through for one night... but it has not. If you are curious... I am happy to check for you. I am not 100% sure... but I think that when you rent points through say like Davids... you still are subject to what is available through DVC member services. What makes me not 100% is maybe they book up rooms with the points they have and then THEY have the availability. Since points get put in holding though if a reservation is canceled within the last 4 months of the use year that they are from... I can't see them just holding onto spots. Maybe though.... :confused:

Well, Kira got there right at rope drop so there wasn't a lot of people outside of the runners who were there. I do think her wait was slightly longer...but not long in the true sense of how it can be. Just longer than if she were first there at rope drop. Not by much though...just a scootch ;) I think no one was angry because they all were happy to cheer on the runners.

Ya know, Zoe is my straggler. We waited and tried (sorry tmi) for a long time to have her. I initially thought that I was unhappy with the 10 year gap between her and Alex. Now though, I feel it worked out perfectly because I still have one smallish one to see wonder and awe through. She is a true blessing in my life. :goodvibes

OKW is our home. I do like it there. I think it is perfect that we have our first contract there and the one with the most points. With race weekends and the 11 month window, I am guaranteed a place to stay that I will be happy at. Problem is... I also want to stay other places AND race weekends fill up fast and by the 7 month window things tend to be full.

So are you hoping to get a studio there during ToT? Sadly, I think the only availability is at SSR. I have been waiting and hoping for a waitlist at BWV to come through for one night... but it has not. If you are curious... I am happy to check for you. I am not 100% sure... but I think that when you rent points through say like Davids... you still are subject to what is available through DVC member services. What makes me not 100% is maybe they book up rooms with the points they have and then THEY have the availability. Since points get put in holding though if a reservation is canceled within the last 4 months of the use year that they are from... I can't see them just holding onto spots. Maybe though.... :confused:

I'm glad everyone was good spirited about letting the runners on. :thumbsup2

I think it's so fun you get the chance to try all the 'kid' stuff again! It's nice to get to do the Wilderness Explorer's Adventure, etc. with someone who gets so excited the way younger kids do! She's too cute! :goodvibes

Yeah, that's tough. I hope your BWV wait list comes through!!! As you said, OKW is a beautiful place to fall back on though!

Bummer! I actually tried back when we first registered for the race and couldn't get all our dates so we booked elsewhere. I was hoping we can switch back in last minute thinking that some people would move at the 7 month window. I've heard October is a really popular DVC time, though. Oh well! We just switched our reservation over to Pop so that should be a fun try!

Yeah, that's tough. I hope your BWV wait list comes through!!! As you said, OKW is a beautiful place to fall back on though!

Bummer! I actually tried back when we first registered for the race and couldn't get all our dates so we booked elsewhere. I was hoping we can switch back in last minute thinking that some people would move at the 7 month window. I've heard October is a really popular DVC time, though. Oh well! We just switched our reservation over to Pop so that should be a fun try!

Thanks, I hope it does too. I doubt it will and OKW is just fine to fall back on. What I am not a fan of though is to move for just one night. So we would be in a 2bedroom for 4 nights a studio one and then a 1 bedroom for 3.

I think race weekends in general are popular for DVC. The 7 month windwo for Marathon weekend just opened up and pretty much any studio other than SSR is full.

I really need to get with it and get this TR moving. I think an update every week or two is just not going to get this done!

So last update we had checked into OKW and were about to get ready for our dinner ADR. It was not going to be with Kira and Josh because they had made a special reservation at Narcoossees. I know that went well and they had an absolutely amazing meal.
1545936_10202821806773614_2068290494_n.jpg

We were headed somewhere a little less fancy. DTD was where the marathon weekend "after party" was to be held. So I made a reservation to dine at Paradiso 37. I thought we would just drive since OKW was so close to DTD. This was a horrible mistake.

Traffic was horrid getting into and then out of the parking lots. We spent a good deal of time just in line to get out it was crazy. We finally got out and crossed over the street and parked in a different lot (not technically a DTD lot). By the time we were parked and walked we were an hour and a half late for our reservation. The temperature had seriously dropped as well since the sun had now set.

When we first checked in, I found that our reservation had been counted as a no show and we were to be charged but that we would be able to get seated as a walk up. With little discussion I got the host to mark us NOT as a no show. After all, even though we missed our reservation we were still going to dine there.

It was a bit of a wait and it was cold outside. (which is where we had to wait because it was packed) We did have a bit of a wait, but finally were seated.

Service was amazing as was the food. I would definitely eat here again.

Alex had the jalapeno burger. OMG, just a side note... but I am on a burger ban for the month of June. If you want to know why... I will put it in my PTR. Anyway...this looks amazing to me right now!!! It is a grilled burger with cheddar cheese, guacamole, marinated jalapenos, pico de gallo, borracho beans and serrano slaw on a toasted bun. Spicy..very spicy..but he very much so enjoyed it.

I think Steve had the Surf and Turf... but opted to get fries? And I am not sure where his shrimp are. :confused:

I had the "from the land" platter. I had grilled skirt steak, spicy chorizo skewers, chicken flautas, black beans and cilantro rice. It was all VERY yummy. Spicy though. I think spicy was a good word to describe everything here.

Zoe had nachos.

Then it was time for dessert.

Alex had the mini ice cream cones. If my memory serves... he got to choose the kinds he wanted.

Steve had to get the tres leches. He LOVES tres leches and this did not at all disappoint him.

I had the churros. The dipping sauce as amazing. It came with a chocolate and a caramel. The caramel was to die for!!!

Zoe had the fruit sorbet.

It was a nice meal and there was so many runners. I spoke with several who ran the dopey and several who ran the marathon. All were so incredibly nice to congratulate me too and tell me NOT to say that I "just" ran the half.

After dinner we decided to do some shopping and look for this "after party". I think we went the wrong way for it because we never did see it. I did however end up needing to buy Zoe and I each a sweatshirt because it was so cold.

Since this was our last night on the dp, we needed to use up our last snack credits so before leaving me made a stop at Goofy's candy company to get some candy.

It was just a short drive back to OKW and we were "home" for the night. We unpacked and I decided very quickly that our race gear would spend the night in the washing machine - so into the machine a load of laundry went. Then we went to bed.

Next Up: 1/13 - 3 ADR's in a day and Epcot Part 1

Yep, I can totally understand why they are building a parking garage at DTD. It's just overrun and it causes these horrible traffic jams! I hope the changes they make are going to help! I've never eaten there but it looked good, especially your desserts! Yum!

Yep, I can totally understand why they are building a parking garage at DTD. It's just overrun and it causes these horrible traffic jams! I hope the changes they make are going to help! I've never eaten there but it looked good, especially your desserts! Yum!

Agreed! It is definitely needed!!!

Food was good... especially if you like spicy. The desserts were very very good! :thumbsup2

Dinner looks yummy. I've never even had that place on my radar.

We took the boat two of our three trips to DTD. The one time we took a bus I wanted to shoot myself. The traffice with all of the construction is a total zoo and a mess. I thought we'd never get anywhere. I'm not sure what Mark and I will do in September as I know it won't be any better and am not sure I want to drive there (maybe we will just skip DTD that trip).

Dinner looks yummy. I've never even had that place on my radar.

It was definitely a nice surprise. I love this type of food. Spicy use to be a good thing for me... but not so much now. However I still love those kinds of flavors!!!

We took the boat two of our three trips to DTD. The one time we took a bus I wanted to shoot myself. The traffice with all of the construction is a total zoo and a mess. I thought we'd never get anywhere. I'm not sure what Mark and I will do in September as I know it won't be any better and am not sure I want to drive there (maybe we will just skip DTD that trip).

First, I have to say that I hate hate HATE that we again miss you by this much. Someday!!!

Second, you just made me realize I will have to drive through all that. :crazy2: You think it will be better in October? I have my inlaws that will be going to DTD on their own (no parks for them) I better make sure to emphasis that they should take the boat.

Originally I thought we would do this.

1/12 -
Wake
Drive to AK
Breakfast at Tusker House.
Kilimanjaro Safari
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Snacks In AK
Drive to DTD
Lunch at Earl of Sandwich (using my birthday sandwich )
Drive to Publix to Grocery Shop
Drive to OKW
Check into OKW
Boat to DTD
Dinner at Paradiso 37.
Cool Down Party in DTD
Boat to OKW
Bed

What we did was this
1/12 -
Woke
Zoe and I took bus to AK
Breakfast at Tusker House.
Kilimanjaro Safari
Began Process for Zoe to become a Wilderness Explorer
Pangani Trail
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
Lunch at Restaurantosaurus
Steve and I drove to OKW to check in
Drove to DTD
Dinner at Paradiso 37
Drove to OKW
Bed

So we didn't stray too badly and I think overall the day was even a bit nicer. (other than perhaps driving to DTD rather than taking a boat. Not sure why we didn't take the boat) We also at somewhere that we had no intention of eating at. Kinda worked out well. (other than the wait for my drink :rotfl:)

Your dinner looks super yummy. Those little ice cream cones are too cute! Seriously!

And no burgers? Really? Good luck with that. :rotfl:

Ugh to the driving/parking situation. My friend's daughter was just at DTD 2 nights ago and said the parking garage is almost ready to open. Yay!

You "just" did the half. :faint: You crack me up!

Your dinner looks super yummy. Those little ice cream cones are too cute!
It was a really good meal. Each item was presented so nicely as well.
Seriously! And no burgers? Really? Good luck with that. :rotfl:
Yeah- it isn't going to be easy. Day 13.....

Ugh to the driving/parking situation. My friend's daughter was just at DTD 2 nights ago and said the parking garage is almost ready to open. Yay!

Oh good! That is sure to make a big difference :)

You "just" did the half. :faint: You crack me up!

Well, you gotta think... There was the main event (the full) but also those who ran the goofy or the dopey. I suspect there were even those who did a combo of the half and 5k or 10k. So yeah.. We did "just" the half

The meal looks delicious!! I hear you on the traffic getting into and out of DTD. We've gotten into some horrific traffic jams going there. It's really frustrating.

The meal looks delicious!! I hear you on the traffic getting into and out of DTD. We've gotten into some horrific traffic jams going there. It's really frustrating.

I think Paradiso gets overlooked and it really shouldn't. Great food- great service. All around it was excellent. And given the fact that they were able to accommodate us when we were so late was very nice!

This was our first time driving while in the world. (Well- a friend drive me there last fall, but it was not me driving) I was surprised how bad traffic there could be sometimes and completely fine at others.

Gosh- I didn't realize the Cool Down Parties were so popular. I'm glad they honored your reservation and acknowledged that you showed up. Everything looks great, especially the burger (I LOVE jalapenos) and the churros!

It was a nice meal and there was so many runners. I spoke with several who ran the dopey and several who ran the marathon. All were so incredibly nice to congratulate me too and tell me NOT to say that I "just" ran the half.

Preach! :thumbsup2 I heard some mixed reviews about the way Disney was acknowledging the various distance accomplishments over the course of the weekend. What was your take? I heard from a DISer that at the marathon start line the announcer asked 'who was only doing the marathon?' which I'm sure was not intentional but was definitely crummy. Every runner deserves to be cheered on and congratulated whether they ran 3.1 miles or 48.6 miles.

Gosh- I didn't realize the Cool Down Parties were so popular. I'm glad they honored your reservation and acknowledged that you showed up. Everything looks great, especially the burger (I LOVE jalapenos) and the churros!

I think it was a combination of the parks closing early that night and ALL of the runners. You have to think... each race holds how many? Plus their families?

Preach! :thumbsup2 I heard some mixed reviews about the way Disney was acknowledging the various distance accomplishments over the course of the weekend. What was your take? I heard from a DISer that at the marathon start line the announcer asked 'who was only doing the marathon?' which I'm sure was not intentional but was definitely crummy. Every runner deserves to be cheered on and congratulated whether they ran 3.1 miles or 48.6 miles.

Ya know... I only ever got good feelings. Never bad. Now that you say that at the start though... I wonder if they didn't say that too. I never took it as a jab though. In fact, too me it sounded more like "who here isn't one of the crazy people to run all the races" or "who is one of the crazies" All in fun of course. Never to jab at anyone...just to make it light hearted. :goodvibes

And the runners... WAY more supportive of each other than at the phm. Which I guess both surprises me and doesn't. :rolleyes:

I know I am getting a bit carried away with all my posts, but I am about to get really busy at work. I have nearly a week of this trip to cover still (well, including my very long travel day home) and I really need to have it done in the next couple months.

One of my favorite things about vacation is breakfast. Normally, I am not a big breakfast person. Somehow a big special breakfast though is just - well, special. I think growing up when we went out for breakfast or had a big breakfast it was because of something special. I guess it still feels like a special morning should start with a special breakfast.

So that is what we did.

I grabbed Zoe and Alex and we drove over the Pop. I left Alex with Josh (they had plans of their own involving critters :rolleyes:) Kira hopped into the car and we were off to the GF for breakfast at 1900 PF.

With race weekend officially over, driving was far less complicated and it was simple for us to get to the GF. We drove in and were instructed to park in the lot just outside of the VGF. I must say... I am anxious to stay there someday.

We checked in and soon were able to get our nice picture taken.

There are two items that set this breakfast apart for me. One is the strawberry soup. The other is the lobster eggs benedict. Not sure if other restaurants have the bananas foster sauce but this too is quite yummy.

I do not specifically go to these breakfasts for the characters. We are all kinda beyond a point of signatures and such. However, it is nice to have a hug from Pooh Bear.

And we can not forget how fun Tigger can be.

I can't remember much about Mary. She kinda Popped in and then was gone. ;)

Alice had a long conversation with Zoe about her sister and how Kira had to be part mouse. It was hilarious! In the end, the three just simply had to pose together for a picture.

Who should follow Alice though? Yes, the one character that still has Zoe very uncomfortable. Now, when she was a toddler she cried when she saw all characters. Slowly she found she was thrilled by them. However she almost comes to tears when this one comes around. It is all she can do to keep from crying. I feel so bad for her and for him because he just wants to engage her and she comes across as incredibly rude. I tried to make excuses and rush him along but he was insistent on at least getting a picture. Zoe just tried to ignore him.

Kira on the other hand had no problem with him.

After breakfast, we had to do the tour. Zoe loves to pose (when scary Mad Hatter sorts are not around) So these are a favorite of hers.

Now it was Kira who was nervous though. I had to encourage her. She felt it was not allowed to get into the carriage.

Since we had to walk over to our car that was parked in front of the villas it made sense for us to take a peak inside.

I would have liked to have toured a room. Maybe another time.

Next Up:1/13 - 3 ADR's in a day and Epcot Part 2

And another great update, Ann!

We have never been to 1900PF, but it is lovely to see your photos.

Poor Zoe looks VERY uncomfortable with the Mad Hatter behind her. Poor thing.

It's so nice to see you girls have so much fun together. :goodvibes

And another great update, Ann!

We have never been to 1900PF, but it is lovely to see your photos.

You and your eggs benedict... I would think you would like 1900 PF. Course it is a buffet and I know how you feel about those too.

Poor Zoe looks VERY uncomfortable with the Mad Hatter behind her. Poor thing.

She really was. She managed to smile here or there but definitely did not speak to him even when he would ask her questions. I could tell it was about all she could do to not scream running from the room.

It's so nice to see you girls have so much fun together. :goodvibes

I love to spend time with my kids. My girls are definitely special to me. We can have our mother daughter moments... but at the end of the day, I figure we must have pretty good relationships since they both are willing to spend as much time as I want with them. Kira calls me multiple times a day and I see her often. I see all my kids often and we do lots together. I know I am blessed because I know that for some parents the moment their kids are grown they leave and aren't heard from as often. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter