Running on Fumes from Start to Finish

annmarieda

DIS Veteran
It is hard to believe that the 2014 marathon weekend was almost a month ago and that we have been back for several weeks already. With pictures from Memory Maker downloaded and pictures from most cameras as accounted for and edited -It is now time to start another TR. (even though I am not done with my last one) If you didn't follow along my PTR for this trip, it can be found here.

Who:

Well, I am Ann. I have historically been the travel coordinator/director of our vacations. That seems to be changing though as my family is. No longer to I have young ones all living at home. I have 4 children total. One of whom is married and another who is engaged. Like many on these boards, I love Disney and all that comes with it.

My dh of (this year will be) 25 years, Steve was on this trip. Steve has always humored me with my love of disney trips, but now he has officially succumb to his own. While he may not be a commando parks touring guy. He definitely loves to be there.

My youngest son and daughter were both in our room. Alex is now 18 and our princess Zoe is just about to turn 9. Alex is happy to be included but is also just as happy to stay behind. Zoe is such a joy and still is just young enough to enjoy some of the magic that Disney has to offer.

Our oldest daughter and her husband were also along on this trip. However they stayed in their own room at a different resort. While we spent a lot of time with them on the trip, they also spent a good time by themselves doing their own thing. Kira loves Disney even more than I do. She takes over a good deal of the planning for our trips now. Josh, her dh, is also quite the lover of disney and a joy to have on trips because he is quite the child at heart. He even has been made such a convert that he is considering a DVC purchase in their near future.

Here we all are together on the trip. It was a hard picture to get. In looking back at all of our photos I was shocked by how little we actually all were together at one time.

Sadly, we did not have our oldest son Zach and his fiance on this trip. I am sure there will be other trips that he will be able to make - at least I hope so.

What:

For Steve and I, the reason was to run the Donald half marathon. It was my second half marathon and Steve's very first. :cool1:

For everyone else, it was just time to enjoy some Disney!

Where:

We stayed one night at a Comfort Suite near the airport. Four nights were then at POR in a royal room. Finally, we spent the remaining six nights in a one bedroom at OKW. (Kira and Josh spent that first night at Comfort Suites with us and then their entire Florida stay was at Pop)

When:

We left on 1/7 and arrived back home on 1/19.

I did write a pre trip report, but I am not certain I detailed my plan for right before the trip. Normally, the days leading up to a trip are pretty mundane. You know - the usual excitement and packing and even some last minute shopping or chores may fill the days that lead up to a trip. This time I enjoyed that and then some.

First obviously there was Christmas. I am not sure if this year the season seemed to come and go faster than years before due to the trip, but it certainly was here and then gone. The days off I had in December not only had to be devoted to getting ready for the trip, but as I said... obviously for Christmas.

Then the day after Christmas was my birthday. I think I actually did go to work on that day. I actually still have yet to open all of my presents. There just has not been time. :rolleyes:

I then worked through that weekend up until New Years day. New Years day I kinda had a bit of a breather. Honestly, I should have worked. It may have made it so I had more time to breathe right before the trip.

Finally, I continued to work all the way up until departure day. My job requires me to spend a lot of time on my feet and often I am lifting or moving heavy objects. There is some data entry/reports that I can do while sitting behind my laptop but mostly I even do that while propping my laptop up and standing or even walking through a store. At the end of a hard two week push more than not I am very physically tapped. And this is where I was when our trip began - short on sleep and physically drained.... running on fumes. Luckily, the last week before the trip I began my tapper in my training for the race because I had very little energy even for those runs.

Next UP: 1/7 (last work day/first night away from home)

Subbing! Excited to read this report as I'm headed down in 2 weeks for my first ever runDisney race!! I'm just doing the 10K at the Princess weekend, but am still very excited and nervous :blush:

Looking forward to reading all about it :thumbsup2

Subbing! Excited to read this report as I'm headed down in 2 weeks for my first ever runDisney race!! I'm just doing the 10K at the Princess weekend, but am still very excited and nervous :blush:

Looking forward to reading all about it :thumbsup2

:welcome: How very exciting that you are going down for PHM weekend! Don't say "just the 10k" You should be proud to be able to do 6.2 miles. So many people can't even go a half mile. And as for nerves... I get nervous before each race...even my 5ks. Plus... the princess weekend is so very fun. Don't get me wrong, the Donald was great. But the fact that it was a weekend devoted to a wide array of races and had a lot of men... it just was a different sort of feel.

Following along! :)

:wave: Glad you are here. :goodvibes

Following along! Can't wait to hear about it. Sorry you had to work so much leading up to the trip, especially before a big race. I hope to do a runDisney event some day!

Count me in, Ann! :)

Yay! Glad you are here!

Following along! Can't wait to hear about it. Sorry you had to work so much leading up to the trip, especially before a big race. I hope to do a runDisney event some day!

:welcome: Rundisney races are hands down my favorite races. They are the reason I bust my rear to train.

As for working... I am very blessed to have a job that is flexible. I can take days off where ever I want really. I do not however get vacation time so my work load for each week has to be done... if that means I work 24 straight until it is done and then take the rest of the time off... I can. But in working 24 straight I definitely would find myself tired so the trick is to find a balance... work hard enough to get things done but not so hard that when I am done I can't function. :goodvibes

If I had my way, we would not leave the night before our flight. Steve however is a fan of doing just that. When we fly to FL, it is a long travel day. It often starts very early. Getting from our house to the airport can take an hour. Given that we need to be at the airport 2 hours before our flight that means we have to leave 3 hours before our flight. Given that we had a 7am flight that would mean leaving at 4am and getting up :confused: Ok, so maybe Steve has a point. That extra hour may be worth it.

So there is a hotel we like to stay that has a nice shuttle service to the airport and allows us to park for the duration. It also is cool that they serve something "close" to what could be called dinner and then has a breakfast too.

So when 1/7 came I had to still finish up work. As I mentioned I had been working pretty non stop to get things done. I managed to get everything done in time as well as be packed with the car loaded by the time Zoe arrived home from school.

Once Zoe got home, all of us (except Steve) loaded up into the car and left our house. It was just a matter of a few errands.

First we stopped at the pharmacy. Any of you reading my PTR will know that January we found ourselves with some insurance issues. We had been waiting and waiting to get into the system in order to pick up some prescriptions needed before we left for our trip. Luckily, we have a great pharmacy staff here in town. When we still were not in the system, they fronted us enough medication to get through the trip. The plan then was that once we returned and the script could be ran through our insurance, the prescription would just be shortened by that same amount.

With pharmacy taken care of it was time to head to the licensing agency. With everything going on I had totally forgot that 12/31 was the day my car tabs expired. Well, a week past is one thing. Letting a vehicle sit in a parking lot with expired tabs and then driving nearly 2 weeks later home on them was another thing.

It was now getting later than I would have liked. So I was anxious to get to our next stop. It was to pick up Steve from his office. As we drove my poor ds who should be old enough to know better realized he was needing a bio break. This became urgent for him so rather than pick up Steve first, I dropped Alex off at what would have been the next stop and then went on to get Steve.

Steve was leaving his car at his office for the trip so that we could avoid his travel time back to the house (since in theory we were driving right by his office on the way to the hotel) With him now in the car we had to drive back to get Alex and to accomplish our next task. This was to go to Road Runner Sports. Steve decided he needed new shoes. Well, okay... maybe I thought he needed new shoes. He was complaining about shins and other aches and well, I am kinda weird when it comes to shoes. First sign of these things and I just don't like to mess around. He had his current pair for about 6 months. They looked great though. (unlike mine where I totally wear the black tread down to the white midsole in spots cause I wear unevenly) However they were not feeling as resilient and probably were cause for his pain. Now, normally you don't get a new pair of shoes right before a big race to run in for the FIRST TIME durning that race... but since they were the same kind he had before we both felt it would be fine.

With shoes purchased it was time to hit the bank. It was getting later and later. In some ways, I think a nice relaxed evening would have been better than all of this running around. In retrospect, I should have had Steve do the banking and shopping and even the car tabs the previous weekend or even the day before (since RR is not far from his office) Still, we went to the bank made our deposits and withdrawls and were on our way.

During this time, Kira and Josh were texting that they anticipated arriving to the hotel later than they expected too and would not be there in time for "dinner".

We arrived and checked in. Then we immediately went to the dinning room to grab dinner since it was about to end soon. Dinner that night was not too impressive. Salad, veggie sticks, clam chowder, bread rolls, lemonade and dorritos :confused: Not great but included in the room charge so we figured it would do.

Once dinner was done, Zoe was dying to go swimming. It was then that we realized that Alex had not followed my lists and packed two swim suites. He had not even packed ONE. :eek: Steve had some extra shorts that would work or so we thought. So Steve took Alex and Zoe to the pool while I went and had my epic battle on the dreadmill. First, why do they keep exercise rooms so hot? I thought I was dying of a heat stroke by the end of my run. Second, not running on a treadmill often has left me kinda of "illiterate" when it comes to their use. Push this button to start.. go faster... just how fast is my pace.:confused3 I spent the entire run "tinkering" with the settings. Finally, I was not only at the right setting but had run the few miles I had planned.

The kids had a nice long swim and were done at the same time as me. Since the pool was next to the exercise room (the view on the treadmill is that of the pool) we all headed up to the room together. It was then that I realized that the shorts Steve had given him would NOT work for the trip. Lets just say white shorts when wet are NOT the right thing to wear in public. :rotfl:

So with Zoe and Alex cleaned up, Steve and I decided to make a trip to a walmart that is near by. Oh my goodness this was the wrong choice. First, this walmart is probably the SCARIEST place I have EVER shopped at. Second, they had NO swimming trunks. We did see some flip flops though that would work well for Zoe on the trip. So we grabbed those and some snacks and left.

It was very late at this point. Too late to head to the actual mall (which we should have just done to begin with) and Kira and Josh were about to arrive.

We beat Kira and Josh to the hotel. I showered to get ready for bed since I knew it would be better to take care of that then rather than in the morning. (which would really be more like the middle of the night)

Once Kira and Josh arrived, we all got settled in to go to bed. We had booked a 2 room suite. So there were 2 queens in one room and a king in a separate room. It was far later than I had hoped, but getting to bed at 10pm didn't worry me too much. After all, I figured I could get some sleep that night...followed by some sleep on the plane and finally get caught up the next night or so. Or so I thought...

Next up: 1/8 - Official Arrival Day

Ahhh Annie, I forgot to tell you I'm subscribed! :) I have crazy tax season brain.

Ahhh Annie, I forgot to tell you I'm subscribed! :) I have crazy tax season brain.

:cool1: Glad you are here! I am bound to start a PTR for the fall soon. I promise not to bug you with private messages about that. ;) I understand being busy... just in case you want to though... know I will have the link in my signature. :goodvibes

Ann, thanks for the bat warning.

I'm here, but have to finish some stuff up before we head to Dubuque to see Mark and Alisha tomorrow. I promise to catch up on this and your other two reports as soon as we get back.

Ann, thanks for the bat warning.

I'm here, but have to finish some stuff up before we head to Dubuque to see Mark and Alisha tomorrow. I promise to catch up on this and your other two reports as soon as we get back.

So glad you are here, Kathy! Don't worry bout my reports. They move pretty slow since there isn't a lot of chatter. Just enjoy your time with your kiddos... whom I really hope are hanging in there. Mark healing nicely, I hope?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter