Opening day strategies?

I'm still so curious about the esplanade lines with the same park opening times that I haven't even thought much about ride lines :rotfl2:
That's very true! I'm sure they know people will want to line up early/before opening, so will they just have lines in the esplanade and once those get too long they have the lines at the bag checking points? I hate that I can't prepare but I also trust DL to have a plan in place

That's very true! I'm sure they know people will want to line up early/before opening, so will they just have lines in the esplanade and once those get too long they have the lines at the bag checking points? I hate that I can't prepare but I also trust DL to have a plan in place

I'm just gonna leave this here. This was ToD on a Monday and I'm about what... 20 feet from the monorail tracks? Social distancing does make it look worse, but I wonder if they'll still go this deep into the esplanade with DL opening as well.

If they handle it similar to ToD, they'll have lines held before these lines. I foresee the line extending down the tram route for sure for those coming from the garages. And down Harbor for those walking in from that way.

I'm so nervous, but excited for everyone going opening day and weekend!

EDIT: picture is an hour before the noon opening and half an hour before M&F opened.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna leave this here. This was ToD on a Monday and I'm about what... 20 feet from the monorail tracks? Social distancing does make it look worse, but I wonder if they'll still go this deep into the esplanade with DL opening as well.

View attachment 570319

If they handle it similar to ToD, they'll have lines held before these lines. I foresee the line extending down the tram route for sure for those coming from the garages. And down Harbor for those walking in from that way.

I'm so nervous, but excited for everyone going opening day and weekend!

EDIT: picture is an hour before the noon opening and half an hour before M&F opened.
Oh wow!!! Now I see why people will want to get there super early!

Oh wow!!! Now I see why people will want to get there super early!

Yup! And they did let people in early. I think this day the gates opened around 11:17am? And there's precedent at WDW for the gates opening early. I would not be surprised if we see things open a little early at DLR. Likely not SUPER early, but they know people are going to try to line up so might as well prepare for it.

ToD gave them a ton of info about lines and crowd arrival patterns so I'm hoping that's being put to good use for the parks reopening 😬🤞

Granted it's reopening. Whole different beast than ToD.

Yup! And they did let people in early. I think this day the gates opened around 11:17am? And there's precedent at WDW for the gates opening early. I would not be surprised if we see things open a little early at DLR. Likely not SUPER early, but they know people are going to try to line up so might as well prepare for it.

ToD gave them a ton of info about lines and crowd arrival patterns so I'm hoping that's being put to good use for the parks reopening 😬🤞

Granted it's reopening. Whole different beast than ToD.
At this point I'm more concerned about the lines for rides than the line entering the park. But maybe the morning lines will give us an idea of how the lines inside will be.

At this point I'm more concerned about the lines for rides than the line entering the park. But maybe the morning lines will give us an idea of how the lines inside will be.

Makes logical sense! My hope is lines inside after the initial push to get in will be not so bad. That people should (hopefully) be spread more throughout the parks. And with no FP/MP maybe steady moving lines?

I have concerns for notorious problem children rides that like to break regularly. I'm looking at you, Indy...

Makes logical sense! My hope is lines inside after the initial push to get in will be not so bad. That people should (hopefully) be spread more throughout the parks. And with no FP/MP maybe steady moving lines?

I have concerns for notorious problem children rides that like to break regularly. I'm looking at you, Indy...
I knowwwww I was just thinking that maybe indy should be our first ride since it may have issues, but then I might want it to be splash mountain given the rush on it for people....I hate having to choose!

We are super curious how everything is going to play out. We are just so happy to be back! But can’t help but wonder how the parks are going to handle a lot of things. 🤔 We went to WDW in December and it was really well organized. But it wasn’t opening day! Lol. We fully expect some hiccups and will roll with it all. Super grateful to be going back. It’s starting to feel real now. Getting super excited!!
Yes, we went to WDW right after opening week and it was super organized. I probably live in my own little happy bubble but the crowds seemed to be delighted to be back in the parks and not agro about little blips here and there.

I knowwwww I was just thinking that maybe indy should be our first ride since it may have issues, but then I might want it to be splash mountain given the rush on it for people....I hate having to choose!

We usually head straight to space mountain, but we are thinking of switching it up and heading to splash mountain first on Friday!! We are assuming the line for splash will be long because everyone will want to see it before it changes.

Yes, we went to WDW right after opening week and it was super organized. I probably live in my own little happy bubble but the crowds seemed to be delighted to be back in the parks and not agro about little blips here and there.
That’s great to hear! We are prepping our kids that it may be a long wait to get into the parks but it should be a really fun and neat experience since everyone will be just as excited as us! Some of my best memories are waiting in line for the 50th anniversary and the 60th anniversary for Disneyland. It was so fun!

Splash mountain is going to be a nightmare with the social distancing guidelines.
However, before the closure the line for Splash would usually not start to fill up until 10am.

At a 9am opening on opening weekend...
9am-915am: I would do Snow White first (people will want to see the update changes,
930am: Splash Mountain (people will want to ride but may not ride first because they do not want to get wet as soon as they enter the park).
950am: Mansion. Mansion because people are going to want to see the new update changes.
1030am: Pirates.

Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain wait until later in the day as people will be going there as a first choice. After 3pm it should die down a bit.

With park capacity being low, the lines should not be too bad. Try to stay in that 30min or less wait time.

Last edited:
At a 9am opening on opening weekend...
9am-915am: I would do Snow White first (people will want to see the update changes,
930am: Splash Mountain (people will want to ride but may not ride first because they do not want to get wet as soon as they enter the park).
950am: Mansion. Mansion because people are going to want to see the new update changes.
1030am: Pirates.
This was our agenda too!

Ok, it's official: since I'm starting opening day in DL (and probably won't park hop even though we have one), I will start with snow white, then pirates, then indy, then haunted, then splash and go from there! I'm gonna put it out in the universe that typical waits are about 35 minutes!!!!!🤞

Will somebody going opening day or in the first few days please report back on how photopass is working? Thanks!

I’ll be going to DL on the 30th & DCA on the 1st. I’ll also be making a vlog with any helpful details. And I’ll try to remember to report back here about photopass!

I’ll be going to DL on the 30th & DCA on the 1st. I’ll also be making a vlog with any helpful details. And I’ll try to remember to report back here about photopass!
I'm so glad you will be documenting! I am not good at taking pictures and videos, so I'm glad someone will be able to do so!

Last edited:
For those going opening weekend, the Disney Parks Blog posted some additional information today re lining up and parking. Reads as if the tram route and some DTD areas (later opening on Friday) might be used for social distant lines the first couple of days. Also noted no eating or drinking while in line -

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...hecklist-for-your-visit-to-disneyland-resort/

When You Arrive
  • Park at Mickey & Friends or Pixar Pals parking structures
When you arrive at the toll booths for Mickey & Friends or Pixar Pals parking structures, you will be asked if you have tickets and a theme park reservation. Because you will already have a theme park reservation, there’s no need to rush or get here early. But do allow time for a leisurely stroll along the pedestrian bridge from the parking structures, as the tram will not be operating. For your convenience, stroller, wheelchair and ECV rentals will be available at the parking structures.

To help us with physical distancing requirements, we don’t encourage early arrivals, and line ups will not be allowed prior to 6 a.m. on opening weekend, when the parking structures and security screenings will open. Note that state guidelines prohibit eating or drinking while waiting in line, so please finish your coffee in the car first.

• Visiting Downtown Disney District
Downtown Disney District will be open at 10 a.m. on April 30 and at 9 a.m., May 1 and beyond. The shopping and dining promenade will remain open after the theme parks close, so it’s a great place to explore before, during or after your day at the parks. Downtown Disney District parking is located in the Simba Lot, which will change to payment upon exit beginning April 30, and hourly prices with validation returns. For more parking information and to check hours of operation, . visit Disneyland.com.

For those going opening weekend, the Disney Parks Blog posted some additional information today re lining up and parking. Reads as if the tram route and some DTD areas (later opening on Friday) might be used for social distant lines the first couple of days. Also noted no eating or drinking while in line -

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...hecklist-for-your-visit-to-disneyland-resort/

When You Arrive
  • Park at Mickey & Friends or Pixar Pals parking structures
When you arrive at the toll booths for Mickey & Friends or Pixar Pals parking structures, you will be asked if you have tickets and a theme park reservation. Because you will already have a theme park reservation, there’s no need to rush or get here early. But do allow time for a leisurely stroll along the pedestrian bridge from the parking structures, as the tram will not be operating. For your convenience, stroller, wheelchair and ECV rentals will be available at the parking structures.

To help us with physical distancing requirements, we don’t encourage early arrivals, and line ups will not be allowed prior to 6 a.m. on opening weekend, when the parking structures and security screenings will open. Note that state guidelines prohibit eating or drinking while waiting in line, so please finish your coffee in the car first.

• Visiting Downtown Disney District
Downtown Disney District will be open at 10 a.m. on April 30 and at 9 a.m., May 1 and beyond. The shopping and dining promenade will remain open after the theme parks close, so it’s a great place to explore before, during or after your day at the parks. Downtown Disney District parking is located in the Simba Lot, which will change to payment upon exit beginning April 30, and hourly prices with validation returns. For more parking information and to check hours of operation, . visit Disneyland.com.
Nice catch on the possible use of DTD! I Know they say there's "no rush" but I don't think anyone wants to be in the back of that line! Lol there's this need almost to get there as early as you can to get a decent spot in line.

Let's discuss packing for your upcoming Disneyland trip...

Mobile ordering, and virtual queuing are going to be putting more demands on cell phones, so bringing extra battery power will be a must.

Given the potential for loss/damage of masks on rides, important to bring replacement masks.

Not sure about the water fountain/drinking situation, so I may bring a water bottle. Disney counter service restaurants used to hand out "free" cups of water, wonder how this will work in the new normal?

...anyway, how are you going to change your Disneyland "day pack" for your upcoming trips?

I just chatted with a castmemebr who said the harbor side will be "open" 30 minutes before park opening. So it looks like they won't be opening that side at the same time as the parking structure! So I guess parking structure it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter