Opening day strategies?

Let's discuss packing for your upcoming Disneyland trip...

Mobile ordering, and virtual queuing are going to be putting more demands on cell phones, so bringing extra battery power will be a must.

Given the potential for loss/damage of masks on rides, important to bring replacement masks.

Not sure about the water fountain/drinking situation, so I may bring a water bottle. Disney counter service restaurants used to hand out "free" cups of water, wonder how this will work in the new normal?

...anyway, how are you going to change your Disneyland "day pack" for your upcoming trips?
I always brought my hydro flask, sanitizer, and wipes, so I’m good there. I also always had my charger since mobile ordering, Maxpass, and excessive picture taking (😅)would drain my battery. Lol

I will be bringing extra masks for sure!

I'll pack the way I did for WDW last November.
I had a small package of wipes.
2 portable hand sanitizers for each person
2 to 3 masks per day. If it got really hot, I found I wanted to change out my mask 1/2 way through the day.
I always bring extra portable batteries.

Let's discuss packing for your upcoming Disneyland trip...
how are you going to change your Disneyland "day pack" for your upcoming trips?

I've always carried hand wipes, sanitizer and Clorox wipes, even pre C-19. Adding in a few extra masks this time..definitely a iPhone battery charger...lip balm is always a must for me - with the masks...might bring a small sunscreen tube - as it will be warm and a cooling wrap. Probably a couple small snacks. Keeping it pretty simple.

Weather is showing even hotter than previously forecasted! Real feel of 98?! Crazy hot! I don’t know if I’ve ever been in the park when it’s that hot! We went once in July of 2017 I think and I don’t think it was hotter than 89 but felt like an inferno!
E1E260A4-5433-4CB8-BECC-C0D614289465.png

Weather is showing even hotter than previously forecasted! Real feel of 98?! Crazy hot! I don’t know if I’ve ever been in the park when it’s that hot! We went once in July of 2017 I think and I don’t think it was hotter than 89 but felt like an inferno!
View attachment 570656
I am legitimately stressed about the weather. I may have woken up at 4am in a panic about it and ordered a solar umbrella from Amazon even though I try to avoid Amazon. 😱 Our normal “hot weather” routine was to hit Frozen at the Hyperion, hang out in the Animation building drawing characters and doing Crush, hit Great Moments and the Tiki Room and all that kind of stuff... all closed!

The other problem is that there are also no lockers. So. We get in line at 6am. It will still be chilly. Will need sweatshirts. But then will need to carry them around uselessly all day?

Beating the heat could mean bringing all this: Water bottles with ice, cooling towels, fan sprayers, flip-flops for Splash Mountain, the aforementioned solar umbrella, hats, sunscreen - it’s sooo much gear!

I am legitimately stressed about the weather. I may have woken up at 4am in a panic about it and ordered a solar umbrella from Amazon even though I try to avoid Amazon. 😱 Our normal “hot weather” routine was to hit Frozen at the Hyperion, hang out in the Animation building drawing characters and doing Crush, hit Great Moments and the Tiki Room and all that kind of stuff... all closed!

The other problem is that there are also no lockers. So. We get in line at 6am. It will still be chilly. Will need sweatshirts. But then will need to carry them around uselessly all day?

Beating the heat could mean bringing all this: Water bottles with ice, cooling towels, fan sprayers, flip-flops for Splash Mountain, the aforementioned solar umbrella, hats, sunscreen - it’s sooo much gear!
Are we allowed to bring in water bottles? Like an insulator one or just a clear plastic one? We will definitely be needed it since all we'll be doing is standing around in lines or on a ride briefly.

Are we allowed to bring in water bottles? Like an insulator one or just a clear plastic one? We will definitely be needed it since all we'll be doing is standing around in lines or on a ride briefly.
We have brought reusable water bottles each time we’ve been to DTD or Touch of Disney. I have not seen anything to indicate that we can’t bring them.

Water bottles have always been allowed - just no glass. But... drinking in lines isn't allowed as part of the new covid protocols.

Water bottles have always been allowed - just no glass. But... drinking in lines isn't allowed as part of the new covid protocols.
Oh OK! I don't know why I assumed water bottles were not allowed. I never tried bringing one either, but thankfully we can! Thank you!

A sun umbrella was the big thing I felt I was missing from my day at ToD. I didn't consider bringing it since I haven't needed it since last late spring/early summer standing in lines to get my mom's gardening supplies. They really help take the edge off especially when combined with a cooling towel or a fan mister. Or both!

It will be chilly in the morning but it shouldn’t be too bad. I would say bring a light jacket or spirit jersey that you can tie around your waist or throw in a backpack.

From personal experience: a spirit jersey can fit into a Loungefly mini backpack lol

It will be chilly in the morning but it shouldn’t be too bad. I would say bring a light jacket or spirit jersey that you can tie around your waist or throw in a backpack.

From personal experience: a spirit jersey can fit into a Loungefly mini backpack lol
Yeah... we usually roll with one backpack for the three of us at Disney, which isn’t going to work this time. It’s just unfortunate that the weather looks so extreme for literally that ONE day, and that so many other factors - nothing indoors to “escape” to, no lockers to stash stuff in, etc - mean that we will be hauling a lot of gear around in the heat.

A sun umbrella was the big thing I felt I was missing from my day at ToD. I didn't consider bringing it since I haven't needed it since last late spring/early summer standing in lines to get my mom's gardening supplies. They really help take the edge off especially when combined with a cooling towel or a fan mister. Or both!
We’ve never used one but now I’m wondering if one will be enough!

We’ve never used one but now I’m wondering if one will be enough!

Unless the one you got is like golf umbrella size, I know I wouldn't want to be standing really close to someone to get a little shade if it's really that hot :lmao:

I have one that is super compact so it's easy to tuck away when I don't need it. I share if necessary, of course, but I do prefer having my own. I really love it, though. I'd been looking at them for years and finally got a cheap paper one a few years ago at the state fair when the sun was particularly brutal in Sac Town that day. It helped so much. I got a better quality one (you know, not made of paper :rotfl:) later.

I am legitimately stressed about the weather.

I am too. I am seriously considering canceling the reservation and going another day. I have always avoided super hot days in the park.

Anyone know what happens if you cancel the reservation? Is there a time limit to canceling it?

I am too. I am seriously considering canceling the reservation and going another day. I have always avoided super hot days in the park.

Anyone know what happens if you cancel the reservation? Is there a time limit to canceling it?

I remember reading that have to cancel the day before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter