Opening day strategies?

The wait times today look fantastic! Is there any real reason to be in line before 7:30 am? Aka, those who are onsite or arrived early, would you have missed anything if you slept in a little more?

I don't think so. We arrived at GCH at around 7, were checked in to a room, our bags were brought to us, and then we walked over to the esplanade around 7:50, and saw that the line went "1/3 of a mile back" toward the parking garage and considered going back to the room. I didn't sleep at all last night, and my husband didn't sleep all that much, but I'm glad we didn't go back. The line was actually all the way to the parking structure, but when we got there, it was already moving, and we were actually inside the DL gate by 8:20a.

People were lining up inside DL for the rides (which were not yet open), but like I said elsewhere, for some of those rides, the waits were longer then than they are now! Right now, splash is 35 mins and HM is 30 and it is BOILING HOT outside! So... way way way better than holidays. And I suspect the lines at the entrance gate were nothing to speak of by 9:30.

I don't think so. We arrived at GCH at around 7, were checked in to a room, our bags were brought to us, and then we walked over to the esplanade around 7:50, and saw that the line went "1/3 of a mile back" toward the parking garage and considered going back to the room. I didn't sleep at all last night, and my husband didn't sleep all that much, but I'm glad we didn't go back. The line was actually all the way to the parking structure, but when we got there, it was already moving, and we were actually inside the DL gate by 8:20a.

People were lining up inside DL for the rides (which were not yet open), but like I said elsewhere, for some of those rides, the waits were longer then than they are now! Right now, splash is 35 mins and HM is 30 and it is BOILING HOT outside! So... way way way better than holidays. And I suspect the lines at the entrance gate were nothing to speak of by 9:30.
What time would you say you noticed rides starting to operate? Did it seem like they all started together or was it more staggered?

A CM just told me that today’s total capacity, including both parks, was 14k!

Thanks for that info.

The week of 5/17 - 5/21 just went from no reservations for DLR (hoppers) to availability 4 out of the 5 days. Now it is back down to 2 out of the 5 days. I am curious if they raised the cap for that week.

Does anyone know what percent 14k is? It looked amazing today. Honestly, even with 50% more people, I imagine it would still be wonderful.

Glad everyone who went today had such a great day!

What time would you say you noticed rides starting to operate? Did it seem like they all started together or was it more staggered?
Rides were operating right at 8 when they opened. I mentioned this on another thread, but we went on Snow White, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad’s, and Big Thunder by 8:27. Perhaps there was something not open immediately, but everything we saw was running.

We left GCH and walked right in at 9:30am. Left Disneyland at 7:30pm. Main Street was packed with people eating and in line for the shops, as we left for the evening. No one wanted to leave! Best. Day. Ever. We went on everything we wanted to go on and then some.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Mr. Toad’s, Snow White, Carousel, DumPeter Pan, Train, Space, Rise, Smugglers, It’s a Small World

Did my shopping right when I got into Dland, so glad! If I saw something I liked...I bought it. I didn’t want to backtrack and waste time.

Yes, it was warm..but manageable and there are lots of tables throughout the park available to sit down and take a break. As always the New Orleans/ROA area/tables were at a premium...almost seemed like people were camping out.

Lot’s of tables and umbrellas over at the Small World mall and Tomorrowland Terrace had great seating and shade as well.

Last edited:
What a great day yesterday was! Walking down Main St with all the CMs lining the street is something I'll never forget. Even got to see Josh D'Amaro and Bob Chapek standing at the end of Main St.

We ended up hitting Haunted Mansion first, with very little wait. By the time we got out, there was a pretty healthy line for Pirates.

Longest lines of the day were about 25 min later in the day for Splash, Space Mtn and Snow White.

Biggest tip I can impart. Hit all these rides multiple times before 1pm. The park hoppers coming over from DCA add to the crowd. At 11am, we got on Space Mtn twice as a walk on. At 2:30 it was a 30 min wait and stayed that way. Snow whites line died by about 1130, but zoomed way bay up after 1pm.

We left GCH and walked right in at 9:30am. Left Disneyland at 7:30pm. Main Street was packed with people eating and in line for the shops, as we left for the evening. No one wanted to leave! Best. Day. Ever. We went on everything we wanted to go on and then some.

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Mr. Toad’s, Snow White, Carousel, DumPeter Pan, Train, Space, Rise, Smugglers, It’s a Small World

Did my shopping right when I got into Dland, so glad! If I saw something I liked...I bought it. I didn’t want to backtrack and waste time.

I'm assuming you were staying at GCH? Will the parks send your purchases to the hotel for you so you don't need to carry them around all da

I'm assuming you were staying at GCH? Will the parks send your purchases to the hotel for you so you don't need to carry them around all da
Yes, we were at GCH. Don’t think they are providing that service. Might be worth a call to find out. I didn’t ask as I had a Disneyland reusable bag that I kept adding to as I shopped around the park.

I'll also mention that I was there Sunday and there are no locker services. I guess it was a good thing and saved me money since I didn't want to carry purchases all day!

I'll also mention that I was there Sunday and there are no locker services. I guess it was a good thing and saved me money since I didn't want to carry purchases all day!

The lockers are available in the Esplanade.

Yes, we were at GCH. Don’t think they are providing that service. Might be worth a call to find out. I didn’t ask as I had a Disneyland reusable bag that I kept adding to as I shopped around the park.
They have currently suspended the package delivery option :-(

They have currently suspended the package delivery option :-(
Well that sucks. Hopefully that will change soon, along with direct access to Grand California park and early morning hours. People pay a lot of $$ to stay onsite. They should at least provide some of the perks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter