Opening day strategies?

Ismo

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Who else is going on opening day? Pre-COVID I never worried about getting to the park at opening, but since this is such a monumental moment, I don’t want to miss a thing!

I know people love queuing up super early for Disney, so if the park opens at 9, what time are you all thinking about getting there? I’m going to be walking in from the Harbor side. I’m guessing that I should get there around 7ish? I feel like getting there earlier and just hanging out in line will be less stressful for me than getting there at like 8:30 and seeing crazy lines.

Anyway, what are everyone’s strategies for getting there on opening day? And what do you all plan on doing once in the park (that question is just for fun 😊)? Can’t wait to see you all there!

My husband and I will be there for opening day. It's my birthday so I was super excited to score opening tickets. We are coming from the Harbor side too. My plan is to be there about 7ish. Honestly I hope that it's not too crazy and that they will have this organized. I know they've been closed for a year but ..fingers crossed... I'm also hoping that there's something that they do to make opening day special. I'm actually hoping that maybe the characters come by on the train and we can hear the train whistle and the ticket chirping as their scanned! That would be pretty awesome! LOL!!!

That’s what I’m hoping for too! I’d be surprised if they didn’t make opening day extra special. I know they have cast member preview days going on before the official opening, but I’m still hopeful for those characters on the train!

Sounds like we have similar plans! Since I always go by myself, I’m bribing a book to read so I can get there early, get in line, sit down, and relax.

I hope you have a very magical birthday there!!

We are also going opening day and coming from harbor side. We are thinking of heading over around 7-7:30ish. We are hoping they will allow us to line up at that point! If it’s like anything else I assume people will be attempting to line up super early in the morning. I’m curious to find out more details as time gets closer. I’ve waited in line super early for both the 50th and the 60th but it was just me. This time it will be my DH and DS13 and DS11 with me. So I don’t think they will want to get in line much earlier than 7 😂. I’m half tempted to just get up early and get in line but I’m not sure how difficult it would be to have them join me later. Plus waiting in line with a bunch of people who love Disneyland as much as you is always fun!

We cannot wait! We are so excited and then also curious/worried how entry will go with having to scan tickets and QR codes. I’m guessing it will be a slow process but hoping I am wrong and it will go smoothly! Already prepping the kids that it’s the first day (a new process for everyone, CMs and us) and we will go with the flow. Just happy to be back!

We are also going opening day and coming from harbor side. We are thinking of heading over around 7-7:30ish. We are hoping they will allow us to line up at that point! If it’s like anything else I assume people will be attempting to line up super early in the morning. I’m curious to find out more details as time gets closer. I’ve waited in line super early for both the 50th and the 60th but it was just me. This time it will be my DH and DS13 and DS11 with me. So I don’t think they will want to get in line much earlier than 7 😂. I’m half tempted to just get up early and get in line but I’m not sure how difficult it would be to have them join me later. Plus waiting in line with a bunch of people who love Disneyland as much as you is always fun!

We cannot wait! We are so excited and then also curious/worried how entry will go with having to scan tickets and QR codes. I’m guessing it will be a slow process but hoping I am wrong and it will go smoothly! Already prepping the kids that it’s the first day (a new process for everyone, CMs and us) and we will go with the flow. Just happy to be back!

I’m hoping that with all they’ve learned from WDW being open and the CM preview days prior to the public opening that they’ll be able to work a lot of the kinks out. Only time will tell!

But if I can only get on 2 rides, I’ll be happy! I am regretting getting a park hopper ticket though, I think I’ll end up doing a full day at DL and one full one at DCA. I’m sure some of those lines are still going to be long with the reduced capacity on rides.

I’m hoping that with all they’ve learned from WDW being open and the CM preview days prior to the public opening that they’ll be able to work a lot of the kinks out. Only time will tell!

But if I can only get on 2 rides, I’ll be happy! I am regretting getting a park hopper ticket though, I think I’ll end up doing a full day at DL and one full one at DCA. I’m sure some of those lines are still going to be long with the reduced capacity on rides.
Yes. We went to WDW in December and assume the parks will open earlier than 9. At WDW, the parks open 45 min to an hour earlier than posted opening time. It varies daily. That doesn’t mean that every attraction is open when you go in, sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. But it really helped with not having a huge crowd of people at the gates. It was awesome. We are guessing Disneyland will do something similar.

Yes. We went to WDW in December and assume the parks will open earlier than 9. At WDW, the parks open 45 min to an hour earlier than posted opening time. It varies daily. That doesn’t mean that every attraction is open when you go in, sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. But it really helped with not having a huge crowd of people at the gates. It was awesome. We are guessing Disneyland will do something similar.

I definitely think they’ll be doing that too. Especially since the DLR & DCA lines back onto each other. There’s only so much room to hold people outside the park, especially with social distancing.

Last February I went to DL for ROTR and the lines went all the way back to the DCA, and that was with everyone crammed together.

I’m so excited that I’m going opening day. But also anxious because normally like to read up on how everything is going first!

I definitely think they’ll be doing that too. Especially since the DLR & DCA lines back onto each other. There’s only so much room to hold people outside the park, especially with social distancing.

Last February I went to DL for ROTR and the lines went all the way back to the DCA, and that was with everyone crammed together.

I’m so excited that I’m going opening day. But also anxious because normally like to read up on how everything is going first!
Good point! I’m anxious and excited! I like to read as much beforehand too. Excited to see how it all goes and try to report back here on the dis to help others.

I’ll be there on the 1st too! I’m going by myself so I’m planning to use it as an opportunity to make my first Disney vlog, something I’ve wanted to do forever! So I’m hoping to help provide tips to anyone going later.

I know, it is weird that because we are going opening day we won’t have all the insider knowledge beforehand! Haha!

I’ll be there on the 1st too! I’m going by myself so I’m planning to use it as an opportunity to make my first Disney vlog, something I’ve wanted to do forever! So I’m hoping to help provide tips to anyone going later.
That’s awesome! We are hoping to go live on the 30th if we can. ☺️

I won't be there opening day but if I was I would FOR SURE be there no later than 0700 because I'd want to be right up at the gates, first if possible, to hopefully walk in first. I know it doesn't "really" matter, but those kinds of things really excite me :lovestruc

We'll be there on the 30th, and I've been wondering how the opening will work since I got my reservation. Living such a short distance away, I can't justify the hotel stay, but am coming from the north, and will be looking to park in Mickey&Friends. It'll be interesting to see what time that structure opens, but I'm hoping it opens ~7am just because of the extra time it'll take to walk over to the esplanade.

We'll be there on the 30th, and I've been wondering how the opening will work since I got my reservation. Living such a short distance away, I can't justify the hotel stay, but am coming from the north, and will be looking to park in Mickey&Friends. It'll be interesting to see what time that structure opens, but I'm hoping it opens ~7am just because of the extra time it'll take to walk over to the esplanade.
I read on Instagram (Disney hype beast) that the parking structures will open 30 min before park opening. I’m not sure if that is from Disney though....

According to the DLR app right now, the parking structures will open half hour before park opening:

We’re all about going with the flow that day. It’s just hubby & I, as we have 4 grown kids who don’t have the same obsession we do with Disney 🤣...so no one else to worry about from a schedule standpoint.

We’re staying at the GCH so as it gets closer to the 30th, we anticipate more information to come out and then we’ll decide what our plan of attack will be.

Right now I’m focused on what cocktail I’m going to order from Hearthstone on the 29th. 🤣🥂

We’re all about going with the flow that day. It’s just hubby & I, as we have 4 grown kids who don’t have the same obsession we do with Disney 🤣...so no one else to worry about from a schedule standpoint.

We’re staying at the GCH so as it gets closer to the 30th, we anticipate more information to come out and and then we’ll decide what our plan of attack will be.

Right now I’m focused on what cocktail I’m going to order from Hearthstone on the 29th. 🤣🥂
Oh man! So fun! We love the craftsman bar as well! If CM Courtney is back, she’s the best! Can’t wait until things get back to normal and we can go back to craftsman’s bar. Lol. Enjoy your stay at the grand!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter