June 2018 Car rental thread

Anyone know if you need to pay with the Amex or can you just have the card. I have one but recently closed it ><
Will Alamo ask for proof to use AOPA? We usually do the pre-check, where you skip the counter
AOPA is Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Just like Costco or any other affiliation, if the site will allow you to do "online check in" and then "Skip the Counter" you will be able to go straight to your car and the only person you see is the person at the gate. They don't ask for anything other than Drivers License, Credit Card you made reservation with, and Skip the Counter paperwork. They are not going to tie up the gate waiting for customers to find member cards and such.

I have no idea regarding American Express. I would assume it you went to counter they would want you to use AMEX to pay and if you do it online it may give you a validation error if you don't enter AMEX as form of payment.

Had 9 day mini van with Alamo for 6/6-6/15 for $469, just got it down to $378!! Amex express- 7016136, AD2365FDN AOPA coupon

My budget was $350 so I'm happy

If you click on the terms for the AMEX discount it does say that you have to the AMEX to pay for the rental. However, the terms also state it expires in 2013.... Guessing the code has been around for years and they don't update it

To save 15% off your next rental, rent any size car, minivan, SUV or convertible between May 1, 2013 and June 16, 2013. Reservation must be made 24-hours in advance.

To receive this offer, purchase must be charged in full to your American Express® Card. This offer cannot be combined with another. Rental must be completed by June 16, 2013.

Not sure why I haven't been getting notifications for posts to this thread like I should, but here I am today. I just saw a small price break for my FLL rental through CostcoTravel.com. But another weird thing is that after booking, I went back to CostcoTravel.com to see something, pulled up my exact trip info and the rates were higher. So definitely keep checking there as rates might change randomly.
Thought I would come here and see if there have been any other successes with price drops anywhere else. I used the codes @tam.daelynn used on the alamo.com website. Used Coupon Code AD2365FDN and Contract ID 7016136. I got a better deal directly w/ Alamo, but I know I will not be getting the 2nd driver for free. Which is fine, it's a nice bonus when going through Costco. My DH almost always drives when we are on vacation anyway. I feel like I drive enough at home! So I now have three car reservations, which I'll cancel as I find something better or get closer to my travel date. I decided that I wanted an SUV like I do at home. I booked an intermediate SUV and regular size SUV. It's only a few more $$ to get the regular size, but I don't know if I want that much car. We're driving to the Keys and back, and staying some nights in Miami. The smaller SUV might be better. So I'll think on it, I have the time!
One thing I do remember from last year when we rented through CostcoTravel.com at Alamo. At the end of my rental when we turned the car in, they said my actual cost was less than the amount I booked it for, and it actually cost about $10 less. Which is unheard of! But that was on Maui. So who knows.

Not sure why I haven't been getting notifications for posts to this thread like I should, but here I am today. I just saw a small price break for my FLL rental through CostcoTravel.com. But another weird thing is that after booking, I went back to CostcoTravel.com to see something, pulled up my exact trip info and the rates were higher. So definitely keep checking there as rates might change randomly.
Thought I would come here and see if there have been any other successes with price drops anywhere else. I used the codes @tam.daelynn used on the alamo.com website. Used Coupon Code AD2365FDN and Contract ID 7016136. I got a better deal directly w/ Alamo, but I know I will not be getting the 2nd driver for free. Which is fine, it's a nice bonus when going through Costco. My DH almost always drives when we are on vacation anyway. I feel like I drive enough at home! So I now have three car reservations, which I'll cancel as I find something better or get closer to my travel date. I decided that I wanted an SUV like I do at home. I booked an intermediate SUV and regular size SUV. It's only a few more $$ to get the regular size, but I don't know if I want that much car. We're driving to the Keys and back, and staying some nights in Miami. The smaller SUV might be better. So I'll think on it, I have the time!
One thing I do remember from last year when we rented through CostcoTravel.com at Alamo. At the end of my rental when we turned the car in, they said my actual cost was less than the amount I booked it for, and it actually cost about $10 less. Which is unheard of! But that was on Maui. So who knows.
So using these codes I won’t have to use Amex

My Costco Alamo rental went down another $10. Every little bit helps....
And I got 2200 points back from Southwest on my airfare. Pays to keep checking everyday.

And I got 2200 points back from Southwest on my airfare. Pays to keep checking everyday.

Pembo that's great! Funny, every time I check on my SWA flights, the price is even higher. Oh well.

Pembo that's great! Funny, every time I check on my SWA flights, the price is even higher. Oh well.
I've had a few little price drops since I booked in December. It's never a lot but usually I see increases.

Just booked a midsize SUV with Dollar using CDP# 3060397 for $28 a day ($317 for 11+ days).
It's a "pay later" rate so nothing is charged to you now. In fact, "pay now" rate was actually much higher. Even though I prefer Alamo because I can go straight to the car, I'm probably going with Dollar for the savings. Alamo was $70 bucks more for the same rental. Plus at Dollar if you're an Express Member you can still pick a different car in your class using their "choice service" option.

"Choice Service - Dollar EXPRESS members save even more time. Skip the counter and get your parking space number from our monitors. We’ll place your rental agreement in your vehicle, but if you want a different one, the choice is yours. Just take your hang tag from the rear view mirror with you and select any vehicle within the same car class."

Last edited:
Check those rates. I just saved another $20 today. Alamo thru Costco for 11 days for an SUV for $307.
And I saved 5000 points on Southwest on one of my segments as well.

I wonder how many times I've checked those two sites since December when I booked. I've made alot of adjustments too.

Check those rates. I just saved another $20 today. Alamo thru Costco for 11 days for an SUV for $307.
And I saved 5000 points on Southwest on one of my segments as well.

I wonder how many times I've checked those two sites since December when I booked. I've made alot of adjustments too.

Nice work! I'm still checking daily over here, but not much movement. I did see as SUV for $198 for 7 nights, but I'm not rebooking for 60 cents! No movement for SW for me...bummer.

Nice work! I'm still checking daily over here, but not much movement. I did see as SUV for $198 for 7 nights, but I'm not rebooking for 60 cents! No movement for SW for me...bummer.

HAHA No I wouldn't rebook for $.69. I did rebook for $10 though. :) I was totally surprised to get SW credit 4 weeks out.

I scored the 2200 reduction on SWA flights too for each of our one way fares. We both must have seen the price reduction that happened a couple weeks ago.

Happy mother’s day, everybody!

Quick check on CostCo brought my minivan down to $256! June 6 to 12. Alamo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter