DVC Ticket Offer

Just a little off topic i understand the blue card perk. But beening a DVC member the perks are far and in between
yes i understand the food,clothing and all other perks but the real saving like free dining is never offered to the people that support disney the most . My question is---is it because we get such a good rate on the room that they figure we dont really need anything else or is it that they have our money and know we are going there anyway no need for incentive
Personally I think it is because they already have you. You have dvc points so you are coming regardless. They don’t have to give you anything else to get you on property.

For clarification, which Disney phone line did you call to upgrade your 10 day base ticket (one park per day) to the 10 day hopper? Did they offer you the discount because they could see you had a qualifying DVC stay? When I tried to call Disney's "existing ticket" line, they could see I had a DVC reservation, but were not aware of the DVC promotion & were only able to apply 2 extra park days to cash hotel/theme park ticket packages.

I currently have a 7 day base ticket purchased last year when they were only selling 7 days max, no hoppers allowed. Now I want to upgrade to a 9 day hopper but I'm unsure which line to call because both DVC (called them on 1/5/21 & CM told me only a 4 day ticket could be upgraded to 6 days) & existing ticket CM denied me the DVC offer.
I called DVC Member Services and selected option 1 (which I think is DVC Resorts?). Not sure if that was the correct way, but the CM I spoke with was familiar with the offer and handled the transaction with no issues.

Free dining offers are just a different way of discounting rooms. The purpose is to fill the hotels. The "free" offers are almost always part of a package that includes tickets and a non-discounted room. Guests seem to respond more to "free" than a % off a room, but the value to Disney is probably very similar.

Discounts are not about rewarding loyalty. They are about increasing revenue.

Yes a point of view i never thought of. but still rewarding loyalty isnt a bad thing maybe entice them to go more often and reward us for been loyal. But great point

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a little off topic i understand the blue card perk. But beening a DVC member the perks are far and in between
yes i understand the food,clothing and all other perks but the real saving like free dining is never offered to the people that support disney the most . My question is---is it because we get such a good rate on the room that they figure we dont really need anything else or is it that they have our money and know we are going there anyway no need for incentive
Every promotion Disney runs is designed to generate additional revenue by enticing people to go and spend money they wouldn’t without deal. Free dining is extremely effective at filling hotels and getting people to go to Disney and pay full price for tickets and room.

For dvc the incentive structure is different; blue card perks are not designed for us to go more but to attract people to purchase direct vs resale. Disney doesn’t profit from our dvc room stay so there really isn’t driver or even meat on bone for them to offer something extravagant like free dining. However, we do represent value to Disney by what we spend in parks so they offer spending discounts as benefit to encourage members, who will be in park more often then average person, to spend more not less.
The big thing they use to encourage blue card really is the annual pass discount. Disney could say Dvc members need to use points and members will purchase anyway so no need for discount to entice us to come. However, they do offer this fairly significant benefit that likely nets loss of profit on AP sales from dvc so it’s likely targeted to attract direct sales vs trying to generate revenue on increased volume of AP sales.

The oddity in benefits offered really is the ticket offer. No one is sitting on fence deciding whether to buy direct and get swayed by this deal. I also doubt it’s significant enough to attract trip from dvc members who weren’t already planning to go. Therefore, I think we got this simply to help placate some of the complaints dvc member services have been receiving about not being offered the major perk dvc direct is purchased for.

The oddity in benefits offered really is the ticket offer. No one is sitting on fence deciding whether to buy direct and get swayed by this deal. I also doubt it’s significant enough to attract trip from dvc members who weren’t already planning to go. Therefore, I think we got this simply to help placate some of the complaints dvc member services have been receiving about not being offered the major perk dvc direct is purchased for.

While I agree with most of what you said, I believe that the blue card requirement for the offer is a sign of things to come. Even more interesting is they have to be blue card points. For the group that I am going with in May, this is a savings of ~$700. I’m less and less inclined to purchase resale. Even though I am saving money now, I think I’m going to end up behind in the long run. Especially if I am going to have the contracts for the next 40-50 years.

if you do the math and im just quoting my situation tho 700x37years is 25,900 and i paid 95 pt for 185 pts =17,575
if you buy direct 195per point =36,075 that a difference of 18,500 that 500 a year it sounds good as long as you get that discount or something similar every year for me ill take the for sure discount and not hope on future discount but point well takin
side note the cheapest direct is 165 if you can get it which will save you more again if you can get it

While I agree with most of what you said, I believe that the blue card requirement for the offer is a sign of things to come. Even more interesting is they have to be blue card points. For the group that I am going with in May, this is a savings of ~$700. I’m less and less inclined to purchase resale. Even though I am saving money now, I think I’m going to end up behind in the long run. Especially if I am going to have the contracts for the next 40-50 years.
Thank you for your input. I agree there is value in blue card but the issue I see is there’s no gurantee of benefits. This is specially highlighted now with the annual pass sales suspended. I personally think future dvc blue card benefits will be based on the resale resort restrictions (especially on 2042 when some popular ones expire and could be sold with restrictions).

Regarding this specific deal, I could have saved $120 for my family and another $280 for those staying with us so it is decent benefit for blue card. However, if annual pass do not go on sale we will have to spend another $1800 for tickets for second trip in September so not really feeling like this is a benefit (we actually didn’t even save money since we had already upgraded our 10day to park hopper after originally being told we didn’t qualify).

My stomach and wallet hurts at the thought of having to buy two sets of 7 day tickets for two trips this year. Saving $50 or so per ticket doesn’t really make me feel any better. Still holding out hope for the AP otherwise I might consider banking points for 2022 and skipping a trip.

Yes a point of view i never thought of. but still rewarding loyalty isnt a bad thing maybe entice them to go more often and reward us for been loyal. But great point

Which is why this current offer for points stays..while not necessarily a huge savings.. being allowed. is a nice start

Cash guests are paying full price for the room with the ticket offer. Points stays are not but WDPR allowed us to have the same offer.

I’m hoping that it is a sign we may some additional things moving forward to help DVD with sales of DVC in a depressed market since we current members could reap some extra benefits under that sales strategy.

Based on phone wait times. I’d say it’s going over well. IMO, if some regular ticket discount were to confine I’d always use Disney vs another seller. I’m hoping Disney sees that benefit too!

correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that even white cards got this discount too. I think that some got asked and some did not i'm sure i read that somewhere on the early pages of this thread

I’m hoping that it is a sign we may some additional things moving forward to help DVD with sales of DVC in a depressed market since we current members could reap some extra benefits under that sales strategy.

The parks division has always welcomed DVC owners with ticket and AP specials when they have been in depressed modes. Usually better than this special though but I think they're still doing a balancing act between wanting more visitors but having limited capacity.

correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that even white cards got this discount too. I think that some got asked and some did not i'm sure i read that somewhere on the early pages of this thread

Seems to be reports that a few white card owners got them to get a CM to process,

It has also been reported that a blue card owner was denied because the points used were not the eligible ones,

White card owners are not supposed to be eligible so anyone who did got pixie dust.

if you do the math and im just quoting my situation tho 700x37years is 25,900 and i paid 95 pt for 185 pts =17,575
if you buy direct 195per point =36,075 that a difference of 18,500 that 500 a year it sounds good as long as you get that discount or something similar every year for me ill take the for sure discount and not hope on future discount but point well takin
side note the cheapest direct is 165 if you can get it which will save you more again if you can get it

Sure, but I'm positive that this won't be the only discount. In 2014 (I think), we cruised Disney and there was a 30% discount on cash prices that saved us a few thousand dollars. Not saying that it is going to happen again, but between membership magic, ticket discounts, cruise discounts, being able to stay at future resorts, I see much more value in buying direct than I did 5 years ago.

Sure, but I'm positive that this won't be the only discount. In 2014 (I think), we cruised Disney and there was a 30% discount on cash prices that saved us a few thousand dollars. Not saying that it is going to happen again, but between membership magic, ticket discounts, cruise discounts, being able to stay at future resorts, I see much more value in buying direct than I did 5 years ago.

The analysis is the opposite for me. It gets more and more difficult to justify direct.

Me too, to be honest, I know not best value for points, but I am considering adding more direct points in 2022 to use for the occasional cruise.

But, everyone has different circumstances. I will say I regret saving $4500 this summer buying 100 BLT resale vs, just adding another 100 at RIV.

I'm glad that we have this forum for all of us to express our option for some direct is the way to go and for other resale but eveyone repects each others option. i will tell you i was on the fence to even buy any but then came along my 1st grandson (in advatar -pic) and eveything changed now i can take my whole family for a fraction of the cost and the money i saved from resale will buy him alot of mickey stuff

The analysis is the opposite for me. It gets more and more difficult to justify direct.

I’m curious as to your reasoning. 5 years ago there was almost no reason to buy direct. Higher prices and access to the Disney collection were the only differences. As a resale purchaser there were no restrictions on resorts, discounts, and other benefits. Now, all of those things are being introduced if you are buying resale.

And I recognize that there is an argument to be made that the annual pass discount is currently gone, but you can’t even buy annual passes right now.

I believe that there is more reason to buy direct now than there has ever been. Resale may make the most sense for you. 5 years ago, I would have never suggested buying direct and would never have done so myself. But today...I can’t say that.

I’m curious as to your reasoning. 5 years ago there was almost no reason to buy direct. Higher prices and access to the Disney collection were the only differences. As a resale purchaser there were no restrictions on resorts, discounts, and other benefits. Now, all of those things are being introduced if you are buying resale.

And I recognize that there is an argument to be made that the annual pass discount is currently gone, but you can’t even buy annual passes right now.

I believe that there is more reason to buy direct now than there has ever been. Resale may make the most sense for you. 5 years ago, I would have never suggested buying direct and would never have done so myself. But today...I can’t say that.

Because the number of points to qualify for the discount has gone up too. It depends on the situation and there is never a blanket answer that covers everyone but the cost difference and increased point difference generally mean that it will more likely benefit a larger family vs a couple or single traveler. For the last 2 it's very probable that paying less for resale will work out monetarily.

Personally I give no value to being able to book directly at any new resorts with points because I can make it work otherwise for the odd stay or two. The exception there will be for those who want to always or almost always stay at the new resorts.

This isn’t exactly place for this but since we discussed dvc benefits thought I’d share. I just received email regarding promotion to get free night on 4 night stay at aulani using dvc points. Looks like eligible for travel by end of February so not something I’ll do but thought was applicable to discussion on potential dvc benefits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter