• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you think my daughter looks her age?

I'm really trying to understand the logic. And you're right, it's totally your choice. If you don't want to continue the discussion, that's fine.

But I'm not seeing the difference between a picture in a paper (where the subject, and possibly location is usually identified in the caption) and a picture on an anonymous message board. If anything, the former would give MORE information. But in your mind that is OK?

Would you put a picture of your child with her/his size, height and or weight on this site and ask others their opinions on whether they are normal sized? What exactly are you not understanding? YOU are aware that there are nefarious sites out there clearly for the enjoyment of mocking others, right?

Would you put a picture of your child with her/his size, height and or weight on this site and ask others their opinions on whether they are normal sized? What exactly are you not understanding? YOU are aware that there are nefarious sites out there clearly for the enjoyment of mocking others, right?
I'm not talking about this specific OP. I'm talking posting pictures in general. PP said she doesn't want pictures posted on an anonymous message board, but is ok with the pictures put in the local newspaper (and therefore online). THAT is what I'm not understanding. I'm simply trying to understand the logic. If someone doesn't want to post pictures, that's fine. I don't think they should criticize those that choose to (and yes, saying it's "wrong" is criticism).

Yes, I know there are sites that mock others. Guess what, people mock others all. the. time. The only difference is who hears/knows about it.

Yes, if I had a question about their size, I probably would put up a picture of my child and ask except I already know 2 of my kids are munchkins & one is a giant lol. It's my child and you don't have a clue who I am or who my child is. Even if you did, I wouldn't care. What you aren't understanding is that not everyone is paranoid.

Yes, if I had a question about their size, I probably would put up a picture of my child and ask except I already know 2 of my kids are munchkins & one is a giant lol. It's my child and you don't have a clue who I am or who my child is. Even if you did, I wouldn't care. What you aren't understanding is that not everyone is paranoid.
Yes, and I'm pretty sure @boxwoman knows too, which is what makes the question weird. Does she want everybody to say "oh, what a big, advanced-looking girl" or "well, she looks pretty average to me"?? And why no poll? We all love polls:
  • bigger than an 8 year-old
  • smaller than an 8 year-old
  • just right for an 8 year old
:rolleyes1

Sure, if you want to post a picture of your child here, ask the masses if she's of "normal" size and weight, it's totally you're right to subject the child to the internet and all the nastiness that sometimes goes with weight/height/normal opinions. In fact, the OP seems to be on the DISboards solely to ask questions about her kids height and weight. It's also my right to give my opinion that this child's picture should not be used here in this manner.

I'm not talking about this specific OP. I'm talking posting pictures in general. PP said she doesn't want pictures posted on an anonymous message board, but is ok with the pictures put in the local newspaper (and therefore online). THAT is what I'm not understanding. I'm simply trying to understand the logic. If someone doesn't want to post pictures, that's fine. I don't think they should criticize those that choose to (and yes, saying it's "wrong" is criticism).

Yes, I know there are sites that mock others. Guess what, people mock others all. the. time. The only difference is who hears/knows about it.

People shouldn't be putting up pictures of children to be mocked. My opinion stands. And yes, I'm well aware of sites mocking others as I've been "privileged" to been given the heads up about such sites, Steve.

People shouldn't be putting up pictures of children to be mocked. My opinion stands. And yes, I'm well aware of sites mocking others as I've been "privileged" to been given the heads up about such sites, Steve.
Help me out. I have no idea what you're talking about. You asked if *I* knew that sites were put up to mock someone. I said yes.

If you don't want your (or your child's) picture showing up on one of these "mocking" sites, don't go out in public. Cameras are EVERYWHERE... usually in someone's pocket or purse. If someone wants to mock you (or a child), they don't need you to put up a picture. And you'll never know about it. If you're in a public location, you can not demand someone not take a picture of you or your child. Well, you can demand, but they don't have to agree. You also get no say in what they do with the picture (unless they use it to make money).

So again, I'm just trying to follow the logic... first of people who say pictures of children on the internet are "wrong" (but won't explain what's wrong). And I'm still hoping someone can explain why a picture posted on an anonymous message board (with no name or location) is bad, but a picture posted online by a news organization (which would identify the subject and probably the location) is perfectly acceptable.

Now maybe the answer is just "that's how I feel." I can't deny that. Doesn't mean it's logical though.

Help me out. I have no idea what you're talking about. You asked if *I* knew that sites were put up to mock someone. I said yes.

If you don't want your (or your child's) picture showing up on one of these "mocking" sites, don't go out in public. Cameras are EVERYWHERE... usually in someone's pocket or purse. If someone wants to mock you (or a child), they don't need you to put up a picture. And you'll never know about it. If you're in a public location, you can not demand someone not take a picture of you or your child. Well, you can demand, but they don't have to agree. You also get no say in what they do with the picture (unless they use it to make money).

So again, I'm just trying to follow the logic... first of people who say pictures of children on the internet are "wrong" (but won't explain what's wrong). And I'm still hoping someone can explain why a picture posted on an anonymous message board (with no name or location) is bad, but a picture posted online by a news organization (which would identify the subject and probably the location) is perfectly acceptable.

Now maybe the answer is just "that's how I feel." I can't deny that. Doesn't mean it's logical though.

Maybe you aren't aware that you can search a person's image on google and find them on FB or any other site? Kid's height and weight and normal ness shouldn't be debated here unless it's anonymous. It's potentially setting the child up to be targeted on social media.

Maybe this article can better articulate what I want to say:http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...tos-of-your-child-on-social-media_a_23190070/

Maybe you aren't aware that you can search a person's image on google and find them on FB or any other site? Kid's height and weight and normal ness shouldn't be debated here unless it's anonymous. It's potentially setting the child up to be targeted on social media.

Maybe this article can better articulate what I want to say:http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...tos-of-your-child-on-social-media_a_23190070/
You're apparently not reading what I'm writing, so I'll say goodnight.

If you’re concerned about her height and weight, I’d check in with her doctor. Kids can look older or younger depending on if they are overweight or underweight.

I married into a very tall family. My husband’s brother is obsessed with his height. He’s married and has children, but it seems very socially immature to be so focused on something that is irrelevant in life.

Why? I don't get it. OK, it may not be what you'd do, but what's wrong about it?

Or are we going to hear how someone may see this random picture on a Disney message board and somehow track down the child and contact/kidnap/whatever?

Pedophiles collect photos from public sites of children or whatever they re interested in. I used to post pics I took on Flickr. I had some really great shots, underwater of kids in the pool. Crisp and sharp - like it could be used in an add. I got lots of likes on. I started looking at profiles of people that liked my photos and their collections. I could easily see collections of "innocent" photos that parents post but when you see them in a collection of what that person was into it became clear they were collecting for other reasons. I don;t believe anyone was going to kidnap my child but I don't want my kid's image being something that someone jerks off too.

Pedophiles collect photos from public sites of children or whatever they re interested in. I used to post pics I took on Flickr. I had some really great shots, underwater of kids in the pool. Crisp and sharp - like it could be used in an add. I got lots of likes on. I started looking at profiles of people that liked my photos and their collections. I could easily see collections of "innocent" photos that parents post but when you see them in a collection of what that person was into it became clear they were collecting for other reasons. I don;t believe anyone was going to kidnap my child but I don't want my kid's image being something that someone jerks off too.

I locked down my acct w anything that showed their faces. But other pics w just feet or something showed up in creeps "foot fetish" collections.

I appreciate your concern. But what about the pedophile that's in Wal*Mart? Or the mall? Or the park? I'm not saying they're taking pictures, but memory is almost as good as a picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter