Do you think my daughter looks her age?

The photo is already down, so I cannot comment on that specifically, but whatever it's worth, we all need to learn to love the bodies we are in. DD has always been tall for her age. She is the tallest in her class and she is also the youngest. I believe she is mistaken for being older and therefore judged as being "immature". I cannot control what other people think or assume about my child, but I can influence how DD feels about herself. We have always known she would be tall, so we have always talked about being tall as a wonderful thing. Now, if I had a child who was destined to be short, I would have spent all my time talking about how wonderful it is to be petite.
j

My DGD1 is very athletic, but petite which is good for her sport. She is always guessed younger. I agree you can't control other people's assumptions we do the same thing. Darn you may may be tiny but your talent is huge so embrace it.

My older DD was always tiny for her age--shortest girl in the class, year after year. She's now 22 and at her full height--5'1". She looks about 12. She teaches fourth grade and has students taller than she is. One day, she'll appreciate looking so young, but now is not that day! Last summer, I took her and DD14 (5'6") on a trip, and everyone thought they were twins.

I tell both girls--own what you've got! I think they're both perfect.

I had two nephews who were bigger than their peers throughout their lives. They both (but especially the older brother) were judged pretty harshly for their "behavior" over the years. People were expecting a 3yo to behave like a 6 or 7 yo; or a 6yo to act like a 10 yo. Now that they are teens, most of their peers have caught up. They are still big guys, but they don't stand out as much as they did in gradeschool and preschool.
My daughter will be 21 in a couple months. She is 5'1", lives in leggings and t-shirts, and doesn't wear makeup often. She was offered a kids menu when we went out to dinner over Christmas break. When she went to the public library near her college, she was told she needed her guardian to get a card. Once she pulled out here ID, all was well. She used to be bothered by it, now she just deals with it.

I do think the OP's daughter looks more like a 5th grader, but she's certainly not alone. There will always be people at the far ends of the spectrum.

My awesome 10-year old daughter is 5’9” and wears women’s size 12 shoes. I tried to nudge her into going out for volleyball, but she is almost defiantly against doing sports. Oh well, she loves more academic pursuits, so I’m not complaining.

My 10 year old is 5' tall and 145 lbs. My 12...almost 13 year old...is 4'6", weighs 83 lbs, and looks like he's about 9.

Last edited:
My 10 year old is 5' tall and 145 lbs. My 12...almost 13 year old...is 4'6",weighs 83lbs, and looks like he's about 9.
Has he seen an endocrinologist? Dd16 was tiny until about a year ago, she hit 5’ and 100 pounds, and is now 5’2” and 110 pounds. My nephew is the same size as your son, he was tested, turns out his bone age is 10. His 11 year old brother towers over him.

Has he seen an endocrinologist? Dd16 was tiny until about a year ago, she hit 5’ and 100 pounds, and is now 5’2” and 110 pounds. My nephew is the same size as your son, he was tested, turns out his bone age is 10. His 11 year old brother towers over him.

We have a huge range of heights on our family. My dad was only 5'4" and his brother towered over him at 6'4". My oldest son was always the smallest in his grade every year (including girls) and hilariously looked like a 10 year old in the marching band his freshman year. Band uniforms were numbered by size and the smallest uniform was #100. I was helping out at try-ons and we were talking about how little he was. They assign by grade, starting with the seniors, but when the seamstress heard us she asked me to have my son come in right away. My son got #103. I used to tease him about needing to ride in a booster seat to high school lol. He finally had a couple of pretty good growth spurts and is happy being about 5'7". :)
2476376501_3760b4f303.jpg

My oldest graddaughter is 8 and looks about 10. She is tall and goes from seeming overweight to not at all depending on the growth spurt. She is already going wearing a bra. Well more like a undershirt but still.

Looking at pictures of her mom when she was that age, she was the same way. And then somewhere along the way she stopped growing so much and by the time her and ds married, she was a little pixie looking girl. Beautiful but tiny.

Don’t worry about it. Embrace your dd for whatever age she is and whatever age she looks.

Glad she took it down. A firm rule for us is no pix on Internet that aren't locked down to family & close friends.

Don't ever take your kids out to the park or even a school picnic/concert etc because those pics end up on the internet and you have no control over it.

My 18 year old is 5'0" and 88 pounds- she looks like she is 13 yet she is almost finished with her first year of college.

This thread is odd, I'm not sure why people yelled at the OP for putting a picture of her kid on the internet. It's not like she posted a picture of somebody else's kids without their permission.

As for the age thing - I didn't get to see the pic, but both of my kids have always been mistaken for being older then they really are due to their height. The boy never had any issues with it. A couple of time the height bothered my girl but now in middle school she's happy to be taller.

Don't ever take your kids out to the park or even a school picnic/concert etc because those pics end up on the internet and you have no control over it.

My 18 year old is 5'0" and 88 pounds- she looks like she is 13 yet she is almost finished with her first year of college.

Yeah but that is anonymous & probably background. It’s not here is my child, name, age & identifiers

I think you should take down this picture of your daughter right now. This isn't a proper inquiry to put over the internet.

I commented that I agreed with this comment. It was not so much posting a picture as the inquiry the OP asked. Asking for opinions online about her daughter's looks seems very inappropriate and risky to me.
I also don't think it's respectful to the child. What if she was 18... would she want her parent to post a picture and question like that? Why would an 8 year old want that? An 8 year old should be protected from comments from strangers about her looks and protected from the rare stranger thay might try to figure out who and where she is.

OP, your prior posts here seem to focus a lot on the size of your kids. It sounds like you have tall kids. If you want them to love themselves for who they are, I would stop focusing so much on their physical attributes.

I did see the photo when you posted it. She looks like a happy healthy kid. Why do you care so much how she compares to others?

Yeah but that is anonymous & probably background. It’s not here is my child, name, age & identifiers
I didn't see the OP before it got edited, did she include name and identifiers? Aren't most people here anonymous? I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Did she post "her name is Cindy, she's 8 years old, she goes to Gardenside Elementary, she rides a pink bike to/from school, and she likes to stop at the Shell Gas station on the way home"? THAT I will agree is too much information.

ETA: You mention up thread that your DGD is athletic. What happens if she gets her picture taken by a newspaper photographer? Would you not let them use it? My oldest got her picture in the paper for the start of the rec softball season. It got posted on the paper's website (this was ~10 years ago).

My middle child's picture (from an athletic event) is used in a promotional brochure (also online) sent to assorted households.

I didn't see the OP before it got edited, did she include name and identifiers? Aren't most people here anonymous? I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Did she post "her name is Cindy, she's 8 years old, she goes to Gardenside Elementary, she rides a pink bike to/from school, and she likes to stop at the Shell Gas station on the way home"? THAT I will agree is too much information.

ETA: You mention up thread that your DGD is athletic. What happens if she gets her picture taken by a newspaper photographer? Would you not let them use it? My oldest got her picture in the paper for the start of the rec softball season. It got posted on the paper's website (this was ~10 years ago).

My middle child's picture (from an athletic event) is used in a promotional brochure (also online) sent to assorted households.

No I don’t think she did but all you have to do is a quick search it is amazing the information you can garner.

My DGD has been & will be in papers. She competes at a high level. I consider that different than posting personal pictures ona random Internet forum.

So now this point has been belabored. I don’t some do. My choice.

No I don’t think she did but all you have to do is a quick search it is amazing the information you can garner.

My DGD has been & will be in papers. She competes at a high level. I consider that different than posting personal pictures ona random Internet forum.

So now this point has been belabored. I don’t some do. My choice.
I'm really trying to understand the logic. And you're right, it's totally your choice. If you don't want to continue the discussion, that's fine.

But I'm not seeing the difference between a picture in a paper (where the subject, and possibly location is usually identified in the caption) and a picture on an anonymous message board. If anything, the former would give MORE information. But in your mind that is OK?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter