Do you give to beggars?

I don't give money as a direct handout, never have. Food or whatever help they are asking, yes I might, if it is safe for me. When I was pumping gas last month a teenage boy approached me and asked for a few dollars for gas to get to work. He seemed panicked and distressed. His eyes were red and puffy, like he was crying. I didn't know what to think, but he looked absolutely pitiful and desperate enough. He was wearing a red shirt with a name tag on it so it made me think he really was going to work. I asked him what pump he was at and how much he needed to get to work, then went inside the station and paid for his $10 gas. The look of relief on his face when he thanked me profusely -- at that point I felt relieved myself that I was able to help. To me he seemed authentically in need of help. I just don't get that vibe from the others that approach me (the ones holding homeless signs, etc.).

No, I do not. My time living in D.C. completely jaded me. I have also been physically confronted, and put in a very unsafe and uncomfortable situation, when a woman thought that I did not give her enough money during a time when I was giving more regularly.

I do not give to people begging on the street. I give to organizations in the area that are set up to help the homeless population. If they want help, then they can get it but I refuse to put my money towards anyone's drug or booze habit.

There was a homeless man who lived in Central Park for many years and was supported by donations from his neighbors. He did various ad-hoc jobs: ensuring garbage cans were properly closed so the raccoons didn't enter, informing doormen that the police were doing a car sweep so residents could move their vehicles, occasionally moving cars for individual car owners, bagging groceries and opening doors for the harried or handicapped. He was just a neighborhood fixture and was paid accordingly. On various holidays I hosted either sent a plate down to the doorman station for him or sought him out directly. He needed years to fight his demons but finally overcame them and now lives in his own apartment; warms my heart.

I pay little to no attention to the many shysters who roam the subways; see them wayyyyy too much, LOL.

We used to have a couple different homeless people that stood by the main entrance road to the grocery store. I never gave them cash but I have given them food and drinks.

I do not give to people begging on the street. I give to organizations in the area that are set up to help the homeless population. If they want help, then they can get it but I refuse to put my money towards anyone's drug or booze habit.

I worry about giving to homeless organizations-about how much money is actually going to the homeless, and how much money is going to the CEO to pay for extravagant vacations.

I do. But not all the time. It depends on what my gut is telling me at the time. It also depends on whether or not I have a few extra bucks to spare. When I do give, though, it's often to a homeless woman. A dear friend of mine fell upon hard times over the last few years and ended up a drug and alcohol addict. Lost her job, lost her car, got a DUI, got arrested for driving under the influence with a suspended license. Got kicked out of rehab. For 2 weeks, she was homeless and slept in a park. And then she died. Alone and homeless.

That happened just over a year ago. It was really sad and tragic. I really miss my friend. I miss the person she used to be before she went into the pit of hell known as addiction. I'll never look at a homeless person the same again. Each of them are somebody's brother, sister, mom, dad, friend, son, or daughter. I don't give to anybody who is obviously under the influence of something. But there have been many times when I've had a chance encounter with a homeless person and given them a couple of bucks and the times when I listen to my gut, the amount of love that the person gives back is pretty amazing.

Theirs a woman that regularly comes by my shop asking for something to eat. About a year ago we started giving her a pint of oysters to eat, she said she loves oysters, she comes by probably 3-5 times per week. I've given her granola bars, a juice, whatever I have. I know a little bit about her and she has mental problems along with drug problems but I can't just watch her go hungry. I might not be able to solve the worlds problem but I can help this one person. I won't give her money but I'll feed her.

Like others Im just too jaded and seen too much I never give money. I used to give food but have now stopped that too

I live in a low income suburb with alot of government subsidised housing. I get the bus into the city centre on a regular basis. There are many commuters on the bus routes, beggers who get the bus into the city centre to go to work, ie sit on the street begging all day and then in the evening they get on the bus back to the suburbs to their government subsidised housing.

I used to give food to them. Then one day I passed a woman who instead of asking for money from passers by was asking for food. So I go to the nearest shop, buy a €3 /$3 sandwich and go back to give it to her. She immediately hides it out of sight in her bag and then proceeds to list out groceries and now wants me to go to the big grocery store and buy her weeks shopping for her. Oh hell no, junkie alert, and I get away as fast as I can.

There is a huge homeless crisis in my city and there are genuine homeless people BUT at the same time there are the organised crime gangs and the drunks and junkies and the scammers.

The only people I now support are the charities I actually see on the street at night time who give food and clothes to the homeless. Anyone panhandling, asking for change for the bus, or for money for a hostel or any other sob story I ignore and walk on by.

Theirs a woman that regularly comes by my shop asking for something to eat. About a year ago we started giving her a pint of oysters to eat, she said she loves oysters, she comes by probably 3-5 times per week. I've given her granola bars, a juice, whatever I have. I know a little bit about her and she has mental problems along with drug problems but I can't just watch her go hungry. I might not be able to solve the worlds problem but I can help this one person. I won't give her money but I'll feed her.
:flower3: This is the "starfish" approach; the sentiments are lovely and I admire it. Sometimes I do the same depending on the situation and how I think the Lord is leading in the moment. But by and large it really does nothing to address the extremely complex issues of homelessness.

We give regularly and volunteer with several local agencies. Call me naive, but I was shocked to learn that the vast majority of regular "clients" choose to live on the streets. Deep dysfunction like addiction and mental illness compels them to be unable and unwilling to comply with the very minimal requirements necessary to avail themselves of social assistance. Very, very few are successful at receiving treatment and rebuilding normal lives no matter how many resources are expended.

The people who are just "down on their luck" through financial disaster, job loss or having to flee abuse are generally much more "normally socialized". They are the ones who tend to bounce back and benefit greatly from a hand up. They're also NOT the ones you usually see begging on street corners.

Rarely. My daily commute to work takes me through a part of town where a lot of people stand on street corners with signs asking for food and money. I asked a local homeless group about these people. They informed me that most of the individuals (physically described a number of them for reference) are strictly doing this for drugs. A few have received assisted housing and services and turned around and stripped the places for drug money. It is discouraged to give them anything. Law enforcement is trying to discourage them too.

I'd rather give to a local charity that can provide food for those in need.

I am more likely to buy food for them. Have given warm socks, gloves and blankets in the winter. Rarely money.

There is a known homeless camp close to our local Walmart and so will see several in that area. Yesterday there were like 7 or 8 at the same intersection. I didn't stop.

I have stopped with food and given money if it's a mother and child. There are a few that I see regularly and am more likely to buy them something to eat.

There is an older man that we see all over town. He will be sometimes standing and talking to no one. Sometimes he is standing at an intersection and speaking loudly toward the cars almost like he is preaching. He carries a long stick that he uses like a walking stick or cane. If he is close to McDonalds or somewhere, I have bought him food but usually will ask if someone can go with me to give it to him. The McDoanlds manager is pretty good about going with me. He is a bit frightening. But I feel so bad for him. I have noticed that he will completely disappear for awhile and have been told that the city police will pick him up and take him to the hospital when he is having a particularly bad episode from whatever is wrong with him. He stays awhile gets better and then goes back to the street to start all over.

No. I use to until our local news team did a piece on begging. They followed multiple regular beggars to find they had cars and a place to live. They confronted them and they just ignored their questions.

There’s also a lot of hipsters begging. Completely capable young people with dreadlocks and tattoos who collect your money and then go buy lattes at Starbucks.

Saw a lady begging with a sign one time. Behind her sign I saw her texting on her cell phone.

Count me among the jaded masses.

Not usually......they are on a lot of corners by malls and shopping centers here.
They rotate the same spots.
Holiday time I am more apt to.
I do donate to organized charities regularly.

I work in a lower income area and can get asked for money at least once between my office and my parking spot. Plus there are people with signs at the first 3 set of stop lights. If I gave to everyone daily I would be broke.
And I rarely carry cash anymore so it's odd for me to have much to give if I did want to give.

Instead I do a monthly donation to several charities in the city. The charities do good work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter