Do you give to beggars?

Domo

Wotcha
Do you regularly give to beggars on the street - spare change and all that? Or do you think that if you do that cash will just go towards drugs and booze?

It's been ages since I've been approached. Sometimes I have, sometimes I haven't, and sometimes I've bought or given them food. Considering their circumstances, I wouldn't begrudge them a drink if that's how they choose to spend it.

I was at an intersection early one morning. A car pulled up to the median, a person jumped out and pulled out a sign, "homeless please give" Ever since then and sometimes unfairly I've been leary of people who do than. Instead I give through church or sometimes volunteer at a homeless shelter. Though it's been awhile since I've done that.

Yes, if I have if I do. I try to carry blessing bags with me. That has travel size shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, a little new bible a granola bar and a water bottle and 2 dollars in change and not it getting cold we will starting down gloves and a hat.

That's a lovely idea :)

I don't to individuals, but we've donated items for blessing bags to the church or homeless shelter. When I was a Girl Scout Troop leader our girls voted to donate several sleeping bags to the homeless shelter that they could distribute. I'm just not trusting enough to give money to individuals. I DO care if they spend it on booze, drugs, or cigarettes. I don't want to throw my money away on other people's vices.

No. I do contribute to (and volunteer at) the non-profit that runs a dining hall and provides shelter for the homeless. And I have directed homeless people to those services.
A friend refuses to give the homeless money, but she will buy them food from the nearest fast food place.

I see them all the time at work. I will buy them food but i don’t carry cash at work.

We (my department) adopt a family at Xmas. I believe it comes from our HR department. I don’t know where they get the names. This year it’s a young mom and 5 Kids. All anonymous.

I don’t give to charities. I don’t trust them. I would rather a friend or family member tell me that someone in our old neighborhood is in need. I like to give directly to the source. At times we’ve known that one of our patients is really down and out (single mom with brain Mets having surgery weeks before Xmas) and we will get together and do what we can for them.

I ask because a horrible thing happened recently.

We had a regular beggar (if you'll excuse the term) who sat at the entrance to our work's car park. Karina. She was obviously on drugs. One day she disappeared. About a week later, a small bunch of flowers materialised with a note saying "RIP Mummy". Now a new beggar has moved in.

I regret not having done more. I know that had I given her money, she would have spent it on drugs. But I could have bought her food or hot drinks.

As I said, I regret not having done more.

I ask because a horrible thing happened recently.

We had a regular beggar (if you'll excuse the term) who sat at the entrance to our work's car park. Karina. She was obviously on drugs. One day she disappeared. About a week later, a small bunch of flowers materialised with a note saying "RIP Mummy". Now a new beggar has moved in.

I regret not having done more. I know that had I given her money, she would have spent it on drugs. But I could have bought her food or hot drinks.

As I said, I regret not having done more.

I know you're feeling regret but I think the end would have still been the same. I understand how you're feeling though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter