**Disney After Hours-Hollywood Studios** FAQ & Discussion Thread

Here's my belated report about the 1/19 event. I have a timeline of sorts and some random thoughts (I apologize in advance for my rambling)...

7:30 - 8
I had popped over to Epcot and met my family (DH, DS14, DD12) inside HS a little later than planned. We got our wristbands and just walked around Hollywood Blvd and made our way to Star Tours.

8 - 8:30 (before event started, just to be clear with different start times and such) After Star Tours, we headed over to Sunset Blvd. We tried to get some waters at the kiosk near the Path of the Jedi area (is it still called that?), but it was 8:27pm and covered and the CMs said no water until 8:30 and start of fireworks! We were antsy for TOT and figured we'd pick up water later...My ungrateful children did not want to meet Olaf! :headache:
Star Tours 2x - walk on

8:30-9:30 Walked upstream on Hollywood Blvd. Discovered that RRC was down (about a half hour) and headed to TOT. They did pre-show both times. I asked about it and they said it was up to management! After 2nd ride, went to RRC - shorter line and no pre-show the first time, longer wait and pre-show the 2nd time. We headed to TSL, stopping at the kiosk at the end of Hollywood Blvd for snacks/water. We also stopped for a photopass photo on Hollywood Blvd.
TOT - 2x
RRC - 2x

9:30 - 10:30 I had read that TSMM was mostly a walk on at previous events, but it was more like 20-25 minutes for us, which was a little unexpected. I knew we'd have a wait for SDD at this point, but we hadn't been on it yet and I wanted to make sure we got multiple rides in case it shut down or something. It was listed at 20 minutes and we waited the full 20 minutes.
TSMM 1x
SDD 1x

10:30 - 11:30 We finished strong! Did SDD two more times with slightly shorter lines, then tried AS2 and did TSMM one more time. My husband doesn't like spinny rides and thought he might not like AS2 (we'd never ridden it yet, so weren't sure what it was like). He went on a fruitless quest for water a few minutes after 11, he said he tried 3 different kiosks, some of which were just covered at this point. He rejoined us at TSMM, where my son finally beat my score and was quite pleased with himself - triumph! I blame the de-hydration.
SDD 2x
AS2
TSMM

Snacks - @HatboxHaint, we may be the reason they were opening up boxes of ice cream at the Sunset stand at the end of the night! After my DH tried to get drinks/ice cream at 11:10, we tried on the way out at Animation Courtyard and they were shut down - they said they haven't had water for a while. We stopped at the Sunset kiosk, although at this point, it was officially a few minutes after 11:30. They didn't have anything, but a manager CM apologized, and I politely said we wouldn't have asked post-event, but that we'd been trying to get water for a while and that for a three hour event, we didn't want to spend time walking to the front of the park, especially if they could be out of stuff there too. He agreed and brought us over to the Secret Stash and busted out sodas and boxes of ice cream (no water) - the people coming up Sunset Blvd started to swarm! :mickeybar

Buses - Great! We saw our bus pulling away as we closed in on our stop, so I thought we'd be in for a wait - and at this point, my DD was an exhausted mess! But another bus came along in just a couple of minutes. We were CR and shared with WL.

Wristbands - The CM told us the only place they were available was at the front of the park. I meant to check down by Brown Derby but forgot, so if anyone else knows, please chime in! Don't forget to get your wristband! There were a lot of people floating around between Fantasmic and the fireworks, and there were quite a few that tried to go on rides afterwards not knowing about the event, so the CMs were checking the wristbands (all night, really). Also, we saw two different groups that appeared to have tickets but forgot their wristbands - one group wanted the CMs to scan their Magic Bands to see the tickets but they were sent to the front of the park, which I'm sure was a pain!

Pre-shows - It seemed like in our experience, whether or not there was a pre-show for a ride was based on wait time, so maybe it ebbs and flows?

We had a blast! If I did it again, I might do things a little differently since there wouldn't be the same need to see TSL (not that we wouldn't want to do those rides, but it wouldn't be the "first" time pressure!). I wanted to do the M&Gs too, and do a photo pass picture in TSL as they looked really cute, but my kids were too focused on getting on SDD! Buzz seemed to be walking around for a while, interacting with people, which looked fun. My only other advice would be to keep your eye on the wait times on the app just in case there are closures! Have fun! :tilt:

We are planning for this event on 03/16. I am also considering upgrading to AP once we arrive on 03/14. If I upgraded on 3/14 I would then be able to purchase DAH tickets for 03/16 online at the AP discount correct? Assuming they are not sold out. Trying to gauge how much of a risk it is to wait until two days prior to purchase.

Yes, you'd be able to buy with the AP discount given what you describe. To date, none of these at DHS have sold out yet (for perspective, MK DAH has a history of selling out, but not recent dates). The true test of DHS DAH sell-outs is probably going to be during Spring Break season so I'm curious to see if any do, but really hard to predict with any accuracy.

My personal feeling is that the DHS and DAK DAH events appeal to 'just enough' folks to make it worth it for Disney, but not enough to generate a sell-out level crowd. I suspect the quite limited ride count relative to MK DAH (but same price point) is a big big factor for some.

I hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes.

I'm so torn right now between MK and HS DAH for our upcoming trip end of March beginning of April. It's just me and DH, I am AP and have been to both parks numerous times but like the idea of special events with limited number of people in the park. Was thinking about MK but now that HS is available too (and it is my favorite park) I'm having trouble deciding. I've been reading about "e" ticket rides down and snack kiosks running out during event. Just have to figure out which will fit best into our plans. I appreciate everybody posting about their experiences!

I'm so torn right now between MK and HS DAH for our upcoming trip end of March beginning of April. It's just me and DH, I am AP and have been to both parks numerous times but like the idea of special events with limited number of people in the park. Was thinking about MK but now that HS is available too (and it is my favorite park) I'm having trouble deciding. I've been reading about "e" ticket rides down and snack kiosks running out during event. Just have to figure out which will fit best into our plans. I appreciate everybody posting about their experiences!
What do you like more about hs?

What do you like more about hs?
I really love Star Wars and the fact that HS is smaller and easier for me to get around (walking problems). DH favorite ride is TSMM he doesn't do thrill rides because of back issues (but he never minds waiting for me while I ride). Also the adult beverages are a plus :thumbsup2:drinking1.
I know there are probably more rides and things at MK but HS might be more manageable

What’s making me lean towards HS is that I can get FP’s at the MK much easier than at HS. My grandson loves TSL and last trip we only rode SDD and TSMM once each with FP over 2 days due to the long lines. I’m just hoping they either open EMM or After Hours at HS for May.

I really love Star Wars and the fact that HS is smaller and easier for me to get around (walking problems). DH favorite ride is TSMM he doesn't do thrill rides because of back issues (but he never minds waiting for me while I ride). Also the adult beverages are a plus :thumbsup2:drinking1.
I know there are probably more rides and things at MK but HS might be more manageable
Sounds like you should be doing the hs dah then :scratchin

What’s making me lean towards HS is that I can get FP’s at the MK much easier than at HS. My grandson loves TSL and last trip we only rode SDD and TSMM once each with FP over 2 days due to the long lines. I’m just hoping they either open EMM or After Hours at HS for May.
This is also another valid point. Thank you! :stitch2:

At least I know who I can blame lol!! I'm looking forward to reading about your experience xo
Yeah I’m not a good person to talk to when it comes to adding experiences. We’ve gotten worse the more we go too. Dh doesn’t like dealing with firework crowds at all anymore. I’ll type up a report for all of our dah but it won’t be to the minute like last time. I don’t want to be on my phone the whole time

8:30-9:30 Walked upstream on Hollywood Blvd. Discovered that RRC was down (about a half hour) and headed to TOT. They did pre-show both times. I asked about it and they said it was up to management! After 2nd ride, went to RRC - shorter line and no pre-show the first time, longer wait and pre-show the 2nd time. We headed to TSL, stopping at the kiosk at the end of Hollywood Blvd for snacks/water. We also stopped for a photopass photo on Hollywood Blvd.
TOT - 2x
RRC - 2x

When I attended on January 19, the ToT's preshow was playing on a loop and the exit door was kept open. No one else was present when I walked in. I watched the remainder of the preshow that was playing (since I like it), then headed onto the ride which was a walk-on. Too bad they couldn't split the difference, maybe post a sign that says "Preshow Optional, You May Proceed Directly to Ride," something like that.

When I attended on January 19, the ToT's preshow was playing on a loop and the exit door was kept open. No one else was present when I walked in. I watched the remainder of the preshow that was playing (since I like it), then headed onto the ride which was a walk-on. Too bad they couldn't split the difference, maybe post a sign that says "Preshow Optional, You May Proceed Directly to Ride," something like that.

That's awesome! Did you have your own elevator?! Yes, that would be great if it were optional! What time did you ride? It definitely was not optional for us (I asked multiple CMs both times) and the exit door was closed. It was not a walk on for us either, so maybe that's the difference? We probably had to wait a couple of elevator's worth? But again, RNR was down, so everybody down that way was on TOT, so that probably impacted things!

That's awesome! Did you have your own elevator?! Yes, that would be great if it were optional! What time did you ride? It definitely was not optional for us (I asked multiple CMs both times) and the exit door was closed. It was not a walk on for us either, so maybe that's the difference? We probably had to wait a couple of elevator's worth? But again, RNR was down, so everybody down that way was on TOT, so that probably impacted things!

I cannot recall exactly when I reached ToT. The elevator had a few empty seats, the only time I have ever seen that, but was mostly full. I speculate that the preshow procedure might have been changed after a flood of disappointed RnR fans showed up.

Yes, you'd be able to buy with the AP discount given what you describe. To date, none of these at DHS have sold out yet (for perspective, MK DAH has a history of selling out, but not recent dates). The true test of DHS DAH sell-outs is probably going to be during Spring Break season so I'm curious to see if any do, but really hard to predict with any accuracy.

My personal feeling is that the DHS and DAK DAH events appeal to 'just enough' folks to make it worth it for Disney, but not enough to generate a sell-out level crowd. I suspect the quite limited ride count relative to MK DAH (but same price point) is a big big factor for some.

I hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your response. I am still trying decide what to do but I will definitely report back.

I am guessing the new Incredibles section will probably not be open for the After Hours party correct? On that same note, what time on a normal day does that end? We are looking to try one of the num num cookies and we will only be in HS on the party day. Trying to plan on when to get there if we want one of them and perhaps see the new Incredibles area. (We are AP so we can go in anytime)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter