Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly forgot about that interview but things are always changing. I think post-pandemic the reservation system if it stays will at least evolve. WDW and DL are two different animals.

Assuming we get back to full capacity, I think it’s beneficial for Disney to continue having reservations. It would still be the same 3-4 days a year that are booked up, so the other ~358 days would still be easy to get into any park you want. And even on those sell out days, like New Years or Christmas Day you’re not forced to get there at the crack of dawn to secure a spot in the parks, or risk losing your spot in the park if you decide you want to leave for a few hours in the middle of the day. I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t mind the reservation system ( in practice) at all. I do think APs should be given more days than 3.

Assuming we get back to full capacity, I think it’s beneficial for Disney to continue having reservations. It would still be the same 3-4 days a year that are booked up, so the other ~358 days would still be easy to get into any park you want. And even on those sell out days, like New Years or Christmas Day you’re not forced to get there at the crack of dawn to secure a spot in the parks, or risk losing your spot in the park if you decide you want to leave for a few hours in the middle of the day. I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t mind the reservation system ( in practice) at all. I do think APs should be given more days than 3.
I don’t mind it either but like I said and even as you mention I think it would evolve.

... but would they if they could?

kidding! I think.

They would go to your door and get your max number .... Then they would go to your neighbor and get their max number. Etc, etc - and then how ever meany they want to sell whoever is withing that order of max numbers gets to get one

So if they want to sell 100,000 passes as when they order all of the max numbers you are number 100,001, then too bad

Unfortunately this is the way the economy goes. A house you’d pay 100,000 for in 2001 is now a multi million dollar home. The property size didn’t get bigger. The house itself didn’t get bigger. But the value of the home and the property went up. When a car manufacturer introduces their new line of a specific car every year, the changes are minimal, but the price goes up. 15 years ago I could see a movie in IMAX for $12, now I’m paying $20. The size of the theater didn’t change. The experience didn’t change.

I understand that it sucks when the price of APs or tickets go up for Disney, but that’s just the way the world works. It’s not Disney trying to personally price an individual out.
I think some people get rubbed the wrong way when Disney goes beyond inflation of industry standard. Some of it is Disney trying to find that sweet spot of attendance control and profitability, but I agree it's not with evil malice.

DCL is a prime example. They only (currently) have 4 ships, and every year more and more first time sailors want to return. This drives demand with no increase in availability. Add in one-off itineraries in Europe and Hawaii, and demand warrants way above "standard" fare increases. It will be interesting to see what happens when Wish and her sisters come online.

I honestly forgot about that interview but things are always changing. I think post-pandemic the reservation system if it stays will at least evolve. WDW and DL are two different animals.
I think when things return to normal we will see a phasing out of the park reservation system for day guests and people at Disney resorts. I think they will leave a system in place that sets a limit on how many pass holders can get in a park a day regardless of overall capacity. Wen WDW starts reselling passes/memberships to the general public, I expect them to look significantly different than they do currently.

When we get back to normal it makes no financial sense for Disney to set up a system that doesn’t encourage people to arrive early to start spending money and encourages people to spend money offsite by holding a spot for them after they leave.

Can't wait to show the pics. He also did a super quick handrawn sketch of Ahsoka. I'm so happy.

I was also surprised how busy epcot was. I know it's a Saturday, but with the rain, I figured wouldn't be that much, but the lines for a lot of the food booths were looong

Wait times aren't that busy, so most must be just walking around. Figured it'd be opposite, rides longer WS quiet.

And now I'm back at work 🤣

Can't wait to show the pics. He also did a super quick handrawn sketch of Ahsoka. I'm so happy.

I was also surprised how busy epcot was. I know it's a Saturday, but with the rain, I figured wouldn't be that much, but the lines for a lot of the food booths were looong

Wait times aren't that busy, so most must be just walking around. Figured it'd be opposite, rides longer WS quiet.

And now I'm back at work 🤣
The struggles of being a local ap :D

I think when things return to normal we will see a phasing out of the park reservation system for day guests and people at Disney resorts. I think they will leave a system in place that sets a limit on how many pass holders can get in a park a day regardless of overall capacity. Wen WDW starts reselling passes/memberships to the general public, I expect them to look significantly different than they do currently.
I think the park reservation is here to stay. If they can force people to go to different parks on different days why not? Meaning if I want MK on a Saturday but it’s full, I’ll just rearrange my days. This keeps attendance more balanced across the parks which I’d imagine is what they want.

I think the park reservation is here to stay. If they can force people to go to different parks on different days why not? Meaning if I want MK on a Saturday but it’s full, I’ll just rearrange my days. This keeps attendance more balanced across the parks which I’d imagine is what they want.
The thing is the parks rarely reach capacity during normal times. There is no reason for Disney to put an artificially lower attendance cap at parks for people buying tickets. That costs Disney money. There is no reason for them to keep the reservation system in place for ticket buyers when capacity isn’t an issue.

Disney also has many more better methods in place to "manage" daily capacity without deterring the customer. The amount of info magic bands alone provide is immense. Even more so the cell phone tracking info. via the app.

one example, for people with the disney app (which the majority do), currently they can/could instantly identify how many Disney users are driving down from out of state, or arriving at the airport by tracking cell phone location and determine who many to expect. That is just the tip of the iceberg of the tracking that can be done.

It is the main reason they are moving away from Magic Band to mobile phones. Much more data.

Last edited:
The thing is the parks rarely reach capacity during normal times. There is no reason for Disney to put an artificially lower attendance cap at parks for people buying tickets. That costs Disney money. There is no reason for them to keep the reservation system in place for ticket buyers when capacity isn’t an issue.
A valid point. But if they want to cap and have people spread out they easily can now. They’ll still get their money either way. I’m just saying the system as it’s set up now give them a lot more control.

A valid point. But if they want to cap and have people spread out they easily can now. They’ll still get their money either way.
The thing is they will lose money if they for instance say you can’t buy a ticket to get into Magic Kingdom on NYE because it is filled with reservations. Without reservations for ticket buyers people will keep buying tickets thinking they are going to MK for NYE. If MK would happen to fill up on NYE those people would just have to go to another park, but Disney still has there money which they would have lost under a reservation system.

The thing is they will lose money if they for instance say you can’t buy a ticket to get into Magic Kingdom on NYE because it is filled with reservations. Without reservations for ticket buyers people will keep buying tickets thinking they are going to MK for NYE. If MK would happen to fill up on NYE those people would just have to go to another park, but Disney still has there money which they would have lost under a reservation system.
I see it as if someone is going there for vacation they’re buying tickets regardless. If MK is full they’ll have to adjust and go to another park. I’ve had it happen under the new system where I couldn’t get the exact days I wanted in the parks but it wasn’t a huge deal, we adjusted.

Not saying you’re wrong. I just imagine wdw will use the reservation system to their benefit when they can. And if it behooves them to spread out crowds rather than further staff a park close to capacity, they can now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter