Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article, “The goal: Spread out attendance at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure while satisfying the largest number of people.”.

If the goal is to spread out attendance, the result is going to be limited choice and flexibility.

This is just a way of them saying park reservations are coming, which has been obvious for 7 months

I just love the fact they lump everyone together in the AP's are unprofitable category. we live 90 minutes away and stay in the campground once a month and a deluxe hotel CL at least twice a year for a week. We eat out practically every meal.

Right now because of disney IT, i'm not even able to make a park reservation with my AP unless I have a resort stay. So don't tell me AP's don't make them money because I'm sure there are a lot of us that do. We're the ones with too many magic bands, buying the speciality foods, the popcorn buckets, etc and I'm getting just a bit ticked off with Disney telling me I don't make them money and should be treated like a second class citizen because of it. If I have to start buying day tickets, my money will be going elsewhere. 😥😥😥😥

crazy times we live in when loyal customers are treated like "fill in the blank" and the once and done are royalty. Sad, indeed.

Ok so the first pass I paid myself was in 2001 when I was 18. Premium 2 park pass for $299. In 2007, my renewal price was only $339. Only $40 more in 6 years. Jump to 2019, between a couple of years of Premier passes, I finally was priced out of the signature plus pass at over $1300, and opted for the Flex with Maxpass at $699. It felt like such a bargain! But seriously, I know there have been improvements and such, but nothing to warrant a $1000 price increase for the same pass in a 12 year period. Disney price increases used to be moderate. They are absolutely insane now. Of course, there is a huge market and people willing to pay such prices, but everyone has their breaking point. Anyway, the system needed to be revamped. Too many locals on grandfathered passes that went there everyday and spent little money. However they try and spin it though, they want to get rid of those AP’s and this was the perfect excuse to do so. I imagine most people will not be able to afford whatever they come up especially given the economy and so many people out of work.

Unfortunately this is the way the economy goes. A house you’d pay 100,000 for in 2001 is now a multi million dollar home. The property size didn’t get bigger. The house itself didn’t get bigger. But the value of the home and the property went up. When a car manufacturer introduces their new line of a specific car every year, the changes are minimal, but the price goes up. 15 years ago I could see a movie in IMAX for $12, now I’m paying $20. The size of the theater didn’t change. The experience didn’t change.

I understand that it sucks when the price of APs or tickets go up for Disney, but that’s just the way the world works. It’s not Disney trying to personally price an individual out.

Survey sent regarding Disneyland Membership "passes"

Personally they all seem way cheaper than I was expected (if this is accurate)

https://blogmickey.com/2021/01/disn...pricey-restricted-annual-passport-membership/
Ahh. Sounds like 1450 turned out to be a ceiling back in the pre-COVID times then. DLR only APs used to cost about $420-$1450. Moving the bottom of the range to $800 almost doubles the price of the SoCal Select pass and 25% increase to the FlexPass.

Expected yes, needed yes. But still sad. This will definitely cut back demand.

Right but this seems like it will be longer term/permanent in Anaheim whereas maybe previously many believed it would be temporary.

I thought we were all on the same page that when DAmaro said a few months ago that reservations were here to stay that it was a pretty permanent change going forward? For better or for worse, I think this makes things much easier for Disney to be able to keep track of data and attendance while it’s a minor inconvenience for guests to make a reservation. They’re a pain while capacity is under 100% and demand is still high, but once capacity is at 100%, it’s no different than a normal day. If you can’t get a reservation for a day when capacity is at 100%, you weren’t going to get in pre-pandemic either.

I just love the fact they lump everyone together in the AP's are unprofitable category. we live 90 minutes away and stay in the campground once a month and a deluxe hotel CL at least twice a year for a week. We eat out practically every meal.

Right now because of disney IT, i'm not even able to make a park reservation with my AP unless I have a resort stay. So don't tell me AP's don't make them money because I'm sure there are a lot of us that do. We're the ones with too many magic bands, buying the speciality foods, the popcorn buckets, etc and I'm getting just a bit ticked off with Disney telling me I don't make them money and should be treated like a second class citizen because of it. If I have to start buying day tickets, my money will be going elsewhere. 😥😥😥😥

crazy times we live in when loyal customers are treated like "fill in the blank" and the once and done are royalty. Sad, indeed.

It is definitely painting with a broad brush - obviously there is a variety of behavior among passoholders

I do think if you took the average of what all passholders spend per day vs the average of what all day guests spend per day you would find the day guests spend more

But you also get this baseline/guarantee income from passholders ... so I really don't think they will totally get rid of passholders at all, just going to put more limitations on when they can be used and for the ones with little to no restrictions the price is going to go waaaaaay up

I understand that it sucks when the price of APs or tickets go up for Disney, but that’s just the way the world works. It’s not Disney trying to personally price an individual out.
Econ 101. Supply and Demand. You raise the prices to literally price people out so you can find the perfect spot where the most people will pay the highest price.

The most fascinating part of that survey was the top end of the range basically stayed intact. They found the ceiling...

Econ 101. Supply and Demand. You raise the prices to literally price people out so you can find the perfect spot where the most people will pay the highest price.

The most fascinating part of that survey was the top end of the range basically stayed intact. They found the ceiling...

Yes, price people out. But Disney isn’t pricing individuals out to spite them.

They’re not going to your home, knocking on your door, asking the most you’d be willing to pay for an AP and then tell you their new AP price is a dollar more than the Max you’re willing to spend.

I am still completely baffled by epcot's new parking procedure

They have made it so much more crowded and harder

Reopening DLR is going to be fascinating. If APs aren’t sold yet everyone would have to buy a ticket- they won’t be able to open with half the stuff closed. Yes we want DLR back but when you know you’re paying $100/day even fans will question the value... they’ll end up with a SWGE opening summer on their hands again if they aren’t careful. (It wasn’t pretty. Emptiest summer in years. And people wouldn’t pay the rack rate prices at GCH and DLH so DLR kept upgrading people from PPH so they could sell the PPH room again 🤣). And DLR has to pay for the DLH remodel that they started in Feb 2020 somehow 😬

APs would show up for a half an experience but... imagine if WDW had opened to ticket purchasers only...

They’re not going to your home, knocking on your door, asking the most you’d be willing to pay for an AP and then tell you their new AP price is a dollar more than the Max you’re willing to spend.
OH. Now I get what you were saying. 😂

Reopening DLR is going to be fascinating. If APs aren’t sold yet everyone would have to buy a ticket- they won’t be able to open with half the stuff closed. Yes we want DLR back but when you know you’re paying $100/day even fans will question the value... they’ll end up with a SWGE opening summer on their hands again if they aren’t careful. (It wasn’t pretty. Emptiest summer in years. And people wouldn’t pay the rack rate prices at GCH and DLH so DLR kept upgrading people from PPH so they could sell the PPH room again 🤣). And DLR has to pay for the DLH remodel that they started in Feb 2020 somehow 😬

APs would show up for a half an experience but... imagine if WDW had opened to ticket purchasers only...
Ah I remember when SWGE opened. Everyone was terrified of crowds (including me), and stayed away. Then crowds were so low they had to have passholders bring their friends for $99 to increase the crowds...

I do wonder how regular guests will react to DL opening. Maybe by then people will be more likely to travel, unlike in Summer 2020 when WDW opened? If they have a hard time bringing in tourists they can always offer the Socal tickets...

It is definitely painting with a broad brush - obviously there is a variety of behavior among passoholders

I do think if you took the average of what all passholders spend per day vs the average of what all day guests spend per day you would find the day guests spend more

But you also get this baseline/guarantee income from passholders ... so I really don't think they will totally get rid of passholders at all, just going to put more limitations on when they can be used and for the ones with little to no restrictions the price is going to go waaaaaay up
Definitely just Disney trying to find the balance between APs and day guests. Seems they are trying to eliminate or at least cut down on the hop in for a ride or two everyday then leave AP guest though. Unless they’re willing to pay.

I thought we were all on the same page that when DAmaro said a few months ago that reservations were here to stay that it was a pretty permanent change going forward? For better or for worse, I think this makes things much easier for Disney to be able to keep track of data and attendance while it’s a minor inconvenience for guests to make a reservation. They’re a pain while capacity is under 100% and demand is still high, but once capacity is at 100%, it’s no different than a normal day. If you can’t get a reservation for a day when capacity is at 100%, you weren’t going to get in pre-pandemic either.
I honestly forgot about that interview but things are always changing. I think post-pandemic the reservation system if it stays will at least evolve. WDW and DL are two different animals.

... but would they if they could?

kidding! I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter