Cases rising or dropping by you?

Do you know any lower income families? Of course. By DIS board standards I might be one of them
Do you live in a suburb? Yup. Same house 37 years instead of the average 7 years. Saved tens of thousands in real estate commissions
Have you ever met a poor person? I volunteer at both the homeless shelter and food bank, so yes.
Have you ever met anyone with different life circumstances than you? Of course. And they make different financial choices too

Do you really think people still get pensions today? Some do, but the 401k has mostly replaced that because it gives the owner more freedom on investments.

Not smug at all. Yes, if they U.S. Government collapses, we'll all have problems.
What if a loved one gets cancer and you are on your 5th out-of-pocket experimental treatment?

What if your child is dx'd with anorexia and you are on your 9th in house treatment facility?:

What if your child has had unexplained seizures and you travel far and wide for unconventional treatment?

Sorry, tvguy, You ARE smug.

And lucky. Lucky that you don't know anyone that these things have ever happened to. Lucky that you are naive enough to think that the government collapsing is the only way you will have financial problems.

I am jealous of your ignorance, tvguy.

Last edited:
What if a loved one gets cancer and you are on your 5th out-of-pocket experimental treatment?

What if your child is dx'd with anorexia and you are on your 9th in house treatment facility?:

What if your child has had unexplained seizures and you travel far and wide for unconventional treatment?

And lucky. Lucky that you don't know anyone that these things have ever happened to. Lucky that you are naive enough to think that the government collapsing is the only way you will have financial problems.

Well, duh. It's because "those people" clearly didn't anticipate every possible scenario and have the financial means and foresight to stash away every spare dime and at the same time have the resources and educational background to hire an investment expert who can channel their meager yet somehow substantial income into funds that will guarantee their security despite any once-in-a-century unforeseen crisis. (Retreating to anticipate punishment for sarcasm.)

Sorry not smug. I have spent money on insurance for most of those. Not ignorance, responsible planning. An FYI had a family member under went cancer treatments including experimental treatment in 2019 all covered by the Affordable Healthcare act.

Sorry not smug.
Maybe another word would be more appropriate.

I have spent money on insurance for most of those. Not ignorance, responsible planning. An FYI had a family member under went cancer treatments including experimental treatment in 2019 all covered by the Affordable Healthcare act.
Again, you just don't get it. Many people are very responsible planners. You are not unique. There are just some situations that you can't plan for.

And I promise you, the Affordable Healthcare Act isn't going to fly you to another country, pay for your food and lodging, and pay for your year long experimental treatment. But when it is someone you love and you are desperate, you will spend every penny you have to save that person.

The government collapsing is absolutely not the only way you can go backwards in life.

Maybe another word would be more appropriate.

Again, you just don't get it. Many people are very responsible planners. You are not unique. There are just some situations that you can't plan for.

And I promise you, the Affordable Healthcare Act isn't going to fly you to another country, pay for your food and lodging, and pay for your year long experimental treatment. But when it is someone you love and you are desperate, you will spend every penny you have to save that person.

The government collapsing is absolutely not the only way you can go backwards in life.
I don't disagree it can happen. I just question how likely it is to happen. 2/3 of all bankruptcies are related to medical expenses. 401k and IRA money are protected from creditors in bankruptcy.

Orange County CA, just like everywhere else in the US I imagine...

(graph of hospitalizations)

I think people who say we should stop interstate travel have never lived near a state border. There aren’t just interstates connecting them - there are hundreds of local roads, talk about an expensive endeavor to try and enforce.

Both my husband and I commute to a neighboring state - do we need to go through a checkpoint daily just to go to work (and what exactly would we show as proof that we’re going to work, we don’t have a work visa like you would internationally)? I see as many out of state license plates at our grocery store as I do in-state. It’s a logistical nightmare.
I hear that. So how about limiting the distance instead of the state... that makes sense. (my dh has a work visa as essential worker just in case he's questioned,as he goes between 2 states regularly for work)

I hear that. So how about limiting the distance instead of the state... that makes sense. (my dh has a work visa as essential worker just in case he's questioned,as he goes between 2 states regularly for work)
What would be the distance?

Keep in mind people commute often from rural parts/outskirts of cities into cities.

Back here in Florida: 6,658 new cases reported today.
Positivity is running between 8% and 11%
We have 999,619 cases of Covid-19 in Florida (so more than a million tomorrow).
18,363 Florida residents have died.

And here's what's next:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/pol..._the_middle&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius
We couldn't be in worse hands. South Florida counties want to do something about it & he won't let them. The last I heard my county said they'd continue fining people & collect the money, after the executive order expires. It's too bad they're having to find ways to circumvent him in order to try to slow down the spread.

What would be the distance?

Keep in mind people commute often from rural parts/outskirts of cities into cities.
IDK....I just know in other countries they've utilized this idea,and it's worked to cut numbers. Is it an easy idea? no. but that's not the point.

Are cases actually dropping anywhere? Somebody please give me some good news because it seems like there’s nowhere in North America and Europe with cases steadily declining. Certainly not here, where we’re at an all-time high. :sad2:

Orlando had 44,000 people fly out today, 42k yesterday and another 40k tomorrow.
this. right here. People keep insisting you can't limit travel (for fun) and that it won't work to limit numbers. There is NO WAY all those people can converge on one part of the counrty from all over,and there is no spread from this. It's impossible. What is possible is that we aren't being told the whole story here,or no one is actually tracking the spread. (I'm not talking about some quick tests done in Orlando to get in a park here,I'm talking about actual tracking of peoples movements)

this. right here. People keep insisting you can't limit travel (for fun) and that it won't work to limit numbers. There is NO WAY all those people can converge on one part of the counrty from all over,and there is no spread from this. It's impossible. What is possible is that we aren't being told the whole story here,or no one is actually tracking the spread. (I'm not talking about some quick tests done in Orlando to get in a park here,I'm talking about actual tracking of peoples movements)

So, at some point last week, I think I read right here, that on a Disney Facebook page, a woman had returned from Disney and a few days after her return she become symptomatic for COVID. She tried to contact Disney to inform them and, apparently, they weren't interested in hearing about it. They told her there was no way to know where she got it (could have been the airport, could have been in her own town BEFORE she left the trip, could have been at an offsite store, etc.) and they didn't want her information. Basically Disney is not tracking.

Now, not sure if that's true as I didn't see this story myself, but it doesn't shock me.

Last edited:
IDK....I just know in other countries they've utilized this idea,and it's worked to cut numbers. Is it an easy idea? no. but that's not the point.
Not the poster but my governor specifically advised papers were not needed during the stay at home order to reflect you were an essential. I don't believe the governor next to me nor the metro leaders advised you needed papers either.

I do know about other countries have done that but I struggle with the idea that they are similar enough to us for that to make sense here on a national level. The states here have a lot of individual control by design and we are quite large in size and population spread out. Being easy is one thing but I think the point would be if that would work for the whole nation. I think the closest you'd get to what you're talking about is like NY/NY/CT. They actually, at one point or another (at least according to a thread a poster has started keeping track of NY's state's quarantine lists) should be on their list but because of the normal aspects of travel and border they have chosen to be a bit more united on that front; the virus doesn't respect boundaries we know that but they have had to take other things into consideration. I actually remember during reopening discussions different states talked about "bubbles" for lack of a better work. I think my state was even supposed to hook up with CO as one of the states but that didn't go through. But that's probably the happiest medium I think you'd get TBH IMO.

Thinking about my own metro it's more likely that the main metro leaders would work together. They already have even with the differing rules there's a lot of overlap; they have diverged in some things, worked together in other things. The hospital systems for example. The major one encompasses 4 counties on my side of the state line and 5 counties on the other side plus the largest city by population in our metro and you are not just stopped from being sent over or going to that hospital on the other side of the state line and in fact that's exactly what will happen they all share. Right now our hospital systems are getting patients from hours away from our metro as well.

I was thinking back to distance that that poster mentioned. I live on the western part of my metro, one of the farther east parts of the metro is over 50 miles away from me. Getting a bit more western just up a bit north and that distance is over 55miles away from me. That's just west to east. From north to south just a quick glance and one city still within the metro is over 77miles between that city and a city down south. These were just using google maps quick glance. And yea people commute from all over in between.

People keep insisting you can't limit travel (for fun) and that it won't work to limit numbers.
I'm not sure which posters have and haven't but I haven't kept insisting you can't limit leisure travel. When people discuss travel they almost never specify distance or mode of transportation. It's "we need to limit travel" and usually the method is "we need to stop people from going from state to state" Plane travel is at least somewhat regulated, most people will show IDs (you can travel through TSA in the U.S. technically without one), there's passenger manifests, etc. It would still have issues but is on a different level than cars. It's why in NY they've heavily focused on planes because it's a mode of transportation much more easily tracked.

I don't really have much of a need to go to the coasts right now but I travel to the state next to me way too often. It's my personal experience there that tells me prohibiting travel between my state and the state next to me isn't some light switch and because of the work and distance to necessities there would be too many exemptions. I don't think telling my aunt to go 10 miles the opposite way to go to the grocery store just because it's on this side of the state line makes much sense when the closest one to hers just happens to be on the other side of the state line. And while getting food may not be for fun that wouldn't be entirely different if I wanted to go to the park to go look at Christmas lights in my car at a large display on the other side of the state line from me.

I think people think it's just a "raining on my parade" moment even though it's just people talking thru it and I really can see how that can come across that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter