Cases rising or dropping by you?

What's surprising (to me) is the number of people who ARE here. But at least they're the people who will wear masks.
I'm not surprised by much anymore when it comes to people in general. Look at Thanksgiving. It was advised for people not to travel and look how that turned out.

So you don't think many people just make poor financial choices?

Of course they do....but right now, millions of people are having choices made for them. This isn't exactly a run-of- the- mill crisis. This economy is being propped up by the government...right now mostly by the Fed...the money from Congress for the people who need it is running out. Yes, I know that there is plenty of money left in several programs and "lending windows"....that money has been taken by those who can afford to pay it back. If more stimulus doesn't come soon...we'll dip back into a recession. In fact, that's likely if more stimulus isn't forthcoming. We have almost as many unemployed now as we did at the height of the financial crisis....it's just not the same people. But....without all cylinders firing in this economy of ours, we won't get back to anything close to what we had pre-pandemic.

Ok...my house is doing just fine...thx. My business has taken a substantial hit, but DH is doing just fine. No debt for many, many years, house paid off, substantial funds in assets....etc. But I know enough....care enough?......to know that while what happens in my household on a financial level is important....it's not all that matters, especially at certain crucial times.

This is one of those times.

I dunno I would be wary of people proclaiming they are safe and all is well. That kind of stuff can easily bite ya in the butt.

I don't think my mom thought after giving the company nearly 40 years she'd be tossed to the curb just because she's older than 55 and had been with the company for more than 5 years but there ya go. It reminds me of the stimulus thread when people were all like "I don't need that, I'm salaried, I'm able to work from home, give it to someone who needs it" which is a very very lovely and commendable sentiment. I've often wondered truthfully if anyone who said that (and I wouldn't expect someone to give that personal information out) found themselves over time during this pandemic actually thinking back that they did indeed need it or at the very least that some may not have been as safe as they thought.

I dunno I would be wary of people proclaiming they are safe and all is well. That kind of stuff can easily bite ya in the butt.

I don't think my mom thought after giving the company nearly 40 years she'd be tossed to the curb just because she's older than 55 and had been with the company for more than 5 years but there ya go. It reminds me of the stimulus thread when people were all like "I don't need that, I'm salaried, I'm able to work from home, give it to someone who needs it" which is a very very lovely and commendable sentiment. I've often wondered truthfully if anyone who said that (and I wouldn't expect someone to give that personal information out) found themselves over time during this pandemic actually thinking back that they did indeed need it or at the very least that some may not have been as safe as they thought.
Sure it can bite you in the butt. We got the first round stimulus money. (None of my kids did; they make too much money) We are retired. DH has a pension and we have monthly income from annuities. We absolutely did not need it. I donated it to a couple of food bank charities. I believe strongly that another stimulus round is needed for those who are hit hard by the pandemic crisis. If we get more I will donate it again.

Sure it can bite you in the butt. We got the first round stimulus money. (None of my kids did; they make too much money) We are retired. DH has a pension and we have monthly income from annuities. We absolutely did not need it. I donated it to a couple of food bank charities. I believe strongly that another stimulus round is needed for those who are hit hard by the pandemic crisis. If we get more I will donate it again.
I'm glad to hear it! I think that's a wonderful thing and so kind of y'all :)

I brought that up because I heard it from many others about their perceived safety due to whatever (usually it was they were salaried vs hourly, they were working from home, they were considered high up or they had longevity with the company, they had good performance, etc) and some of them found out they were not safe that this pandemic only seemed to touch certain people and not others. It happened at my mom's company, it happened at my husband's company, it happened to city and county employees (usually one of the safest jobs to work for the government), etc. These were all people in positions so many considered safe and they weren't. So when someone says they built a financial bubble that bubble is only as good unless it pops and sometimes it pops without warning with a blindside.

Fair enough. Some of it is too detailed, IMO. I hope people don’t feel the need to prove something. I guess that is where “keeping up with the Joneses” comes in to the picture here.

If you're referring to me....I was replying to TvGuy....who was laying an argument out like this is a "personal responsibility" deal. Like...everyone would be fine if they just took care of business...worked harder....etc, which I believe is ludicrous in our current situation. I wanted him to know....that even for people who are "ok" financially.....some of us have been affected. My small business has been affected.

But more importantly, this particular crisis is affecting certain sectors and communities in very unique ways. I'm "woke" enough to know people personally who are really and truly struggling financially ...and we help them personally, and for those we don't know...through programs in our community. However, for a certain subset of people....who are WFH, stock portfolio soaring, doing loads of home upgrades etc...it's hard for some of them to understand what is happening. Or they can't see it...or choose not to....whatever. That's what is happening.

During the great recession.....when the stock market plummeted in late 2008 and didn't recover to those levels for 5+ years...and home prices plummeted....and many didn't recover for even longer, trust me...the people who aren't feeling it now.....they felt it then.

If you're referring to me....I was replying to TvGuy....who was laying an argument out like this is a "personal responsibility" deal. Like...everyone would be fine if they just took care of business...worked harder....etc, which I believe is ludicrous in our current situation. I wanted him to know....that even for people who are "ok" financially.....some of us have been affected. My small business has been affected.

But more importantly, this particular crisis is affecting certain sectors and communities in very unique ways. I'm "woke" enough to know people personally who are really and truly struggling financially ...and we help them personally, and for those we don't know...through programs in our community. However, for a certain subset of people....who are WFH, stock portfolio soaring, doing loads of home upgrades etc...it's hard for some of them to understand what is happening. Or they can't see it...or choose not to....whatever. That's what is happening.

During the great recession.....when the stock market plummeted in late 2008 and didn't recover to those levels for 5+ years...and home prices plummeted....and many didn't recover for even longer, trust me...the people who aren't feeling it now.....they felt it then.

Oh no not referring to you. Just a general observation from years of reading posts on here. I also confess that the trip report forum astounds me regularly. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter