• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cases rising or dropping by you?

I'm not sure which posters have and haven't but I haven't kept insisting you can't limit leisure travel. When people discuss travel they almost never specify distance or mode of transportation. It's "we need to limit travel" and usually the method is "we need to stop people from going from state to state" Plane travel is at least somewhat regulated, most people will show IDs (you can travel through TSA in the U.S. technically without one), there's passenger manifests, etc. It would still have issues but is on a different level than cars. It's why in NY they've heavily focused on planes because it's a mode of transportation much more easily tracked.

I don't really have much of a need to go to the coasts right now but I travel to the state next to me way too often. It's my personal experience there that tells me prohibiting travel between my state and the state next to me isn't some light switch and because of the work and distance to necessities there would be too many exemptions. I don't think telling my aunt to go 10 miles the opposite way to go to the grocery store just because it's on this side of the state line makes much sense when the closest one to hers just happens to be on the other side of the state line. And while getting food may not be for fun that wouldn't be entirely different if I wanted to go to the park to go look at Christmas lights in my car at a large display on the other side of the state line from me.

I think people think it's just a "raining on my parade" moment even though it's just people talking thru it and I really can see how that can come across that way.
Well, a state line runs literally down the middle of the metro area. And some people just can't quite grasp that other people have different circumstances from them.

Well, a state line runs literally down the middle of the metro area. And some people just can't quite grasp that other people have different circumstances from them.
Heck, there’s a town in western PA/eastern OH where the state line literally runs down the center line of “State Line Road”. People who live on opposite sides of the street live in 2 different states. Better not cross the street! 😂

Heck, there’s a town in western PA/eastern OH where the state line literally runs down the center line of “State Line Road”. People who live on opposite sides of the street live in 2 different states. Better not cross the street! 😂
Exactly the same thing here. Head south and you’re in one state. Head north and you’re in the other.

It's not uncommon for other things like shopping districts and other such things. Heck we have on our side of the state line it's not legal to purchase hard liquor at the grocery store (you can purchase beer up to 5.9% now used to be 3.2%) but it is legal on the other side of the state line. Hy-Vee has a grocery store on our side of the state line and they have a separate building across the street that sells hard liquor because it's located on the other side of the state line. So you get your groceries drive to the other side of the street and get your wine lol.

this. right here. People keep insisting you can't limit travel (for fun) and that it won't work to limit numbers. There is NO WAY all those people can converge on one part of the counrty from all over,and there is no spread from this. It's impossible. What is possible is that we aren't being told the whole story here,or no one is actually tracking the spread. (I'm not talking about some quick tests done in Orlando to get in a park here,I'm talking about actual tracking of peoples movements)
Its what happens when there is no contact tracing happening anywhere.

Texas has this too. Texarkana has two halves with the state line even splitting the one post office into two halves.

Are cases actually dropping anywhere? Somebody please give me some good news because it seems like there’s nowhere in North America and Europe with cases steadily declining. Certainly not here, where we’re at an all-time high. :sad2:
The only good news is I seen today is majority of Canadians have decided not to have big family gatherings for Christmas. That should help lower the numbers.

I can grasp it quite nicely ....I live in that little tri state area a pp referred to,and yes we're very aware of when we cross state lines,or neighboring ones. My basic point is not the line itself,(say like St Louis) but the distances combined with unnecessary travel (again,unnecessary) combined with the various safety measures state by state with no consistency.....
I'm not claiming to know the answer to all our problems. I'm saying that those three things together combined,and addressed (somehow) in a cohesive way,would be useful to limit the spread.(and thus the rising numbers) Others may feel differently,I get that. But that old glitter example (3 kids making crafts,one using glitter,how many go home covered in glitter) is so clear and logical,and that's what I'm applying to this. I do appreciate the interesting conversations we're able to have here...

I can grasp it quite nicely ....I live in that little tri state area a pp referred to,and yes we're very aware of when we cross state lines,or neighboring ones. My basic point is not the line itself,(say like St Louis) but the distances combined with unnecessary travel (again,unnecessary) combined with the various safety measures state by state with no consistency.....
I'm not claiming to know the answer to all our problems. I'm saying that those three things together combined,and addressed (somehow) in a cohesive way,would be useful to limit the spread.(and thus the rising numbers) Others may feel differently,I get that. But that old glitter example (3 kids making crafts,one using glitter,how many go home covered in glitter) is so clear and logical,and that's what I'm applying to this. I do appreciate the interesting conversations we're able to have here...
I think part of the issue is the size and diversity of the US. We’ve established why saying no interstate travel is an issue in many areas.
We could put a distance limit like i saw a post from another country had. But I remember noting that at the distance they were limited to, I wouldn’t even be able to get to a grocery store. And im not even really rural. Parts of this country, and even my state, could limit distance traveled to a small number and everyone could reach all their essential places. Rural and even some semi-rural areas would need a whole lot more. My parents drive 30 miles just to get to a grocery store or doctors office. I commute 43 miles to work daily. Either way, enforcement on this would be difficult. You’d be pulling over everyone or checking IDs at store entrances.
We could ban pleasure travel, but again, enforcement gets tricky, particularly for those that drive to their destination.

I think part of the issue is the size and diversity of the US. We’ve established why saying no interstate travel is an issue in many areas.
We could put a distance limit like i saw a post from another country had. But I remember noting that at the distance they were limited to, I wouldn’t even be able to get to a grocery store. And im not even really rural. Parts of this country, and even my state, could limit distance traveled to a small number and everyone could reach all their essential places. Rural and even some semi-rural areas would need a whole lot more. My parents drive 30 miles just to get to a grocery store or doctors office. I commute 43 miles to work daily. Either way, enforcement on this would be difficult. You’d be pulling over everyone or checking IDs at store entrances.
We could ban pleasure travel, but again, enforcement gets tricky, particularly for those that drive to their destination.
true. I have a friend who lives in Panama (and up till recently had great results case wise) last spring they not only limited the distance you could travel, but the amount of time you were allowed to be away from your home,also what days you could go anywhere- in addition for a while it was men one day,women another day allowed to go to grocery etc. (I guess each citizen was assigned a number.This sounds really harsh, but for a long while it was working to keep cases down. I'm not saying we need that exactly, but they did it there. And it was enforced. If you tried to shop on a day that your number wasn't allowed, they turned you away. And fined you approx. a days wage.Now they're more relaxed,and their cases rising.

true. I have a friend who lives in Panama (and up till recently had great results case wise) last spring they not only limited the distance you could travel, but the amount of time you were allowed to be away from your home,also what days you could go anywhere- in addition for a while it was men one day,women another day allowed to go to grocery etc. (I guess each citizen was assigned a number.This sounds really harsh, but for a long while it was working to keep cases down. I'm not saying we need that exactly, but they did it there. And it was enforced. If you tried to shop on a day that your number wasn't allowed, they turned you away. And fined you approx. a days wage.Now they're more relaxed,and their cases rising.
Honduras did something similar though they also had armed guards doing checks on vehicles. Ireland has/had a 5km circle you could go out of for leisure/entertainment. Most countries that are able to truly enforce it have size advantage, geographical boundary advantage (as in traversing the country already has boundaries that make it harder to go from place to place), infrastructure differences, political climate differences (which is all I can say without going too far into politics), and more. The discussion isn't usually that some method wouldn't work, it's usually will this be realistic here in the U.S.

if anyone is doing any research/paperwork....mark this day...my wife has potential to be a superspreader ( got caught in the end of thanksgiving airport stew) she is not staying home and her redneck friends will not wear masks. I have been living in the cottage, when in the main kitchen, all windows are open, fans on and I wear mask all the time.....wife....says it is all fake news....hopefully she is not on the news as one of the folks......" it's bad, really bad""

The news said Sunday night when I sat her down to watch what she had just done...that she cannot find out till 8 days out if she has virus. ...."I ain't waiting no 8 days👿👿👿

This is the most dire warning from the Coronavirus Task Force. They're pleading with Public Health Officials to circumvent state and local authorities to directly warn the public. Also state that the Covid risk to Americans is now "historically high". Pleads with Americans over 65 and those with significant pre-existing conditions....not to enter any indoor space with people who are unmasked. This is for the whole country folks. They say that these folks should ideally be doing home delivery for groceries and medications at this point.

Also, they let this population know that if they experience even minor symptoms, that they should be tested immediately, as some of the therapeutics that may save them....must be given very early in the course.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/politics/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-states-report/index.html

This is the most dire warning from the Coronavirus Task Force. They're pleading with Public Health Officials to circumvent state and local authorities to directly warn the public. Also state that the Covid risk to Americans is now "historically high". Pleads with Americans over 65 and those with significant pre-existing conditions....not to enter any indoor space with people who are unmasked. This is for the whole country folks. They say that these folks should ideally be doing home delivery for groceries and medications at this point.

Also, they let this population know that if they experience even minor symptoms, that they should be tested immediately, as some of the therapeutics that may save them....must be given very early in the course.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/politics/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-states-report/index.html

Ohio has done just about everything they can. We have commercials, an almost daily news conference with nurses and doctors talking about the virus and how bad it is. Our Governor has been pleading with Ohio to take this seriously but many are not. Other then completely shutting things down again I am not sure what the state can do to help.

People are just not heading the warning. My step dad being one of them. He was going to fly to the Carolina's for a golfing trio with his friends for this week. My mom tried talking to him about it and he said that he will take the precautions and that because he will wear a mask that he would be fine. My mom pretty much told him that if he went and then got someone sick and they dies that they both would have to deal with this. She also told him that they would have to quarantine separately for 2 weeks because she does not want to get it. So he finally canceled. After letting his friends know they canceled too.

Ohio has done just about everything they can. We have commercials, an almost daily news conference with nurses and doctors talking about the virus and how bad it is. Our Governor has been pleading with Ohio to take this seriously but many are not. Other then completely shutting things down again I am not sure what the state can do to help.

People are just not heading the warning. My step dad being one of them. He was going to fly to the Carolina's for a golfing trio with his friends for this week. My mom tried talking to him about it and he said that he will take the precautions and that because he will wear a mask that he would be fine. My mom pretty much told him that if he went and then got someone sick and they dies that they both would have to deal with this. She also told him that they would have to quarantine separately for 2 weeks because she does not want to get it. So he finally canceled. After letting his friends know they canceled too.
Can he golf at home?

I wouldn't travel to golf anywhere right now but I would (if the weather was nice) golf in my immediate area.

Can he golf at home?

I wouldn't travel to golf anywhere right now but I would (if the weather was nice) golf in my immediate area.

Yes he gulfs every weekend. This is a trip that him and his friends go on every year. Right now he will not be able to gulf for a little bit. We just got 12 inches of snow in the last 24-48 hours. If we have a winter like last year then he will continue to gulf each week.

They did cancel the trip and will look at rescheduling it for the spring if things are better. It just took a lot of convincing for my mom to get him to cancel.

Worsening here with a school now infected... sigh.

But, I was lifted by this so I thought I'd share. The first part while he is driving is a bit informative, the first part of his walk a tad interesting, but I'd skip to Clifton Hill. The Christmas Light Displays once night descends are awesome! The Falls too!! Enjoy..

Last edited:

I think it's just everywhere at this point. Personally, I think it's nuts to travel right now.

The county to the south of us has an outbreak at their hospital with at least 100 employees infected. They are saying that it's from employees getting together outside of work, but I would think some of that transmission is happening in the hospital itself. The hospital itself, where I worked many years ago as an ICU nurse, has 85 Covid patients. I don't know how many are critical, or on vents....but that's over 25% of their capacity overall.

I think it's just everywhere at this point. Personally, I think it's nuts to travel right now.

The county to the south of us has an outbreak at their hospital with at least 100 employees infected. They are saying that it's from employees getting together outside of work, but I would think some of that transmission is happening in the hospital itself. The hospital itself, where I worked many years ago as an ICU nurse, has 85 Covid patients. I don't know how many are critical, or on vents....but that's over 25% of their capacity overall.

I agree about the travel. We have not gone anywhere at all and won't until things are much better. I am glad that my mom was able to get my step dad to cancel.

The girlfriend of a co-worker of mine is an ICU nurse at one of the hospitals around here. There ICU is full and they are changing other areas of the hospital into more ICU space. I am not sure if all are on ventilators or how serious they are.

If one in a household here is exposed, tests Positive, or has Covid they are to quarantine away from the rest of the household. My Db & Dsil had to do a back to back quarartine because of their circumstances. They have 2 bathrms so it was not as difficult. RV sales soared and were parked on homeowners property. RV rentals, and in some cases employer paid occurred too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter