Cases rising or dropping by you?

Like I said we had to do it early on, and no very few (at least here) shutdown for more than a few weeks. I don't know why people wouldn't survive. I can tell you first hand than my unemployment payments for my furlough were more than I would have made working, and I am not a minimum wage earner. Throw in the $1200 stimulus check, my income will be up for the year because of the pandemic assistance. Throw in all the other programs, I think people would have been fine. But those programs have expired. That is why the time has passed. The assistance programs are been used up. 39 weeks of unemployment benefits would have easily covered 6 weeks of unemployment. That is why it is too late, most of the assistance programs have ended. At least here in California you still can't be evicted from a rental propertyv still if the reason for non-payment is related to the pandemic
I'm saying people didn't survive (people's whole businesses lost, people lining up for food banks when they suddenly were out of jobs, health insurance lost, etc) and they were in places where it was shutdown for weeks to months, with unemployment whenever it came. With all due respect I think it's naïve to assume that people would be alright with no work, short-term assistance as if throwing some money at the situation to some people amounts to problem solved. Disrespectful honestly to say people would have been fine. It shows that some people haven't been around those who are struggling through this pandemic.

Not everyone got the stimulus check and $1,200 was NEVER intended to make people survive, in terms of people's obligations like housing, food, transportation, insurance, etc it was just a fluff thrown in, gig jobs were added later to the CARES Act.

As far as evictions yes that's what I mean, people are evicting for non-payment but the landlords aren't getting the rent either. How are those landlords supposed to survive? Just off of government assistance I guess from what you are saying..are they even really getting that?

But I think we've taken up enough of this thread on this particular discussion so I'm moving on :flower3:

I think people who say we should stop interstate travel have never lived near a state border. There aren’t just interstates connecting them - there are hundreds of local roads, talk about an expensive endeavor to try and enforce.

Both my husband and I commute to a neighboring state - do we need to go through a checkpoint daily just to go to work (and what exactly would we show as proof that we’re going to work, we don’t have a work visa like you would internationally)? I see as many out of state license plates at our grocery store as I do in-state. It’s a logistical nightmare.

I think people who say we should stop interstate travel have never lived near a state border. There aren’t just interstates connecting them - there are hundreds of local roads, talk about an expensive endeavor to try and enforce.

Both my husband and I commute to a neighboring state - do we need to go through a checkpoint daily just to go to work (and what exactly would we show as proof that we’re going to work, we don’t have a work visa like you would internationally)? I see as many out of state license plates at our grocery store as I do in-state. It’s a logistical nightmare.
Exactly! We cross state lines all the time here, it's just a fact of daily life.

I'm saying people didn't survive (people's whole businesses lost, people lining up for food banks when they suddenly were out of jobs, health insurance lost, etc) and they were in places where it was shutdown for weeks to months, with unemployment whenever it came. With all due respect I think it's naïve to assume that people would be alright with no work, short-term assistance as if throwing some money at the situation to some people amounts to problem solved. Disrespectful honestly to say people would have been fine. It shows that some people haven't been around those who are struggling through this pandemic.

Not everyone got the stimulus check and $1,200 was NEVER intended to make people survive, in terms of people's obligations like housing, food, transportation, insurance, etc it was just a fluff thrown in, gig jobs were added later to the CARES Act.

As far as evictions yes that's what I mean, people are evicting for non-payment but the landlords aren't getting the rent either. How are those landlords supposed to survive? Just off of government assistance I guess from what you are saying..are they even really getting that?

But I think we've taken up enough of this thread on this particular discussion so I'm moving on :flower3:

The reality is that the US doesn't have the same economic safety nets that other developed countries provide. We made the decision to forfeit these safety nets for lower taxes. I'm not convinced this situation is going to change any time soon. It's a terrible decision to choose between going to work and catching COVID and possibly killing a family member or starving and losing ones home. No idea how we got here. But it's not a good situation. We're at least three to four months out before vaccines become available, and we really don't know the long term side effects.

The best advice now is to move to a country with better economic safety nets. But invest in the US because its policies create good economic growth for a small subset of its population.

people are still waiting on unemployment aid.
I don't want to continue the discussion really but I wanted to say the local news was covering that the state is working on 32,000 unemployment claims which is considered a backlog. These are people who have been waiting and waiting to get their unemployment. The article said 7,000 presently (down from 25,000 claims over the summer) are from normal unemployment benefits but the rest which is 25,000 is for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance which are from people who wouldn't ordinarily qualify for unemployment. Real life or not to some people they aren't getting the aid when they need it and it's not realistic in its present form to expect people to be able to live off on that alone.

It was really early on well before reopening was even heard of so it wouldn't have been going back to Phase 1 (think Feb/March timeframe). It's probably been largely forgotten (for good reason too because it just wouldn't have worked). I don't remember if it was 2 weeks, 6 hours, etc but it was a time frame that if everyone just stood still because the idea was without movement the virus couldn't just jump from people to people. Good in theory really because that's what causes the issues but in practicality impossible.

Dh and I went on a bus tour that had us cross into N. Y. State from Canada in the second week of March. Border officers boarded the bus and inquired if any of us had traveled abroad ie in the last 2 months.

Our bus tour operator told us after we cleared that he was told if even 1 passenger had travelled abroad, we would not had been allowed to enter the USA.

After just a few short weeks, we were in "Non Essential" lockdown from end of March to well after our May 2-4 week end.

Last edited:
The reality is that the US doesn't have the same economic safety nets that other developed countries provide. We made the decision to forfeit these safety nets for lower taxes. I'm not convinced this situation is going to change any time soon. It's a terrible decision to choose between going to work and catching COVID and possibly killing a family member or starving and losing ones home. No idea how we got here. But it's not a good situation. We're at least three to four months out before vaccines become available, and we really don't know the long term side effects.

The best advice now is to move to a country with better economic safety nets. But invest in the US because its policies create good economic growth for a small subset of its population.

If moving isn't an option than demands for safety nets ie to be installed because it is your monies.

I think what many are getting at with interstate travel is doing so for vacation and unnecessary travel. Case in point this week and all the unnecessary travel as was advised by the CDC. People want this to end but don't want to do anything to help

This is flat out wrong. The US has never had these types of "safety nets" so a decision was never made to "forfeit" them for lower taxes. The fact that real taxes have done nothing but go up in the last 90 years has borne that out. How much of the unemployment and economic difficulties were caused by the government? Now it is supposed to be the government taxing those that they allowed to stay open more to pay those people that they shut down? Especially when we see the double dealing and hypocrisy on display by the likes of Govs. Newsome, Cuomo and Whitmer.

1,500 cases reported today in WI. I'm going to guess that is in large part due to the holiday and many counties not reporting numbers to the state. We will see what happens in the next few days and how it averages out.

I think what many are getting at with interstate travel is doing so for vacation and unnecessary travel. Case in point this week and all the unnecessary travel as was advised by the CDC. People want this to end but don't want to do anything to help

I realize that. My point is that there’s no way to enforce a no-pleasure travel rule. You’d have to stop every car crossing state lines (again, no easy feat) to check why they’re on the road.

I realize that. My point is that there’s no way to enforce a no-pleasure travel rule. You’d have to stop every car crossing state lines (again, no easy feat) to check why they’re on the road.
There is no way to enforce it. The worst part is how little the majority care about Covid. Judging by how much unnecessary travel happened this past week says all that needed to be said. I'm expecting Covid to skyrocket even more now.

There is no way to enforce it. The worst part is how little the majority care about Covid. Judging by how much unnecessary travel happened this past week says all that needed to be said. I'm expecting Covid to skyrocket even more now.
We already figured cases would go up after holidays,not sure saying "I told you so" is groundbreaking no offense, we've had Memorial Day,4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween all with at least bumps due to them some bigger than others and IIRC after Canada's Thanksgiving cases rose as well.

We already figured cases would go up after holidays,not sure saying "I told you so" is groundbreaking no offense, we've had Memorial Day,4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween all with at least bumps due to them some bigger than others and IIRC after Canada's Thanksgiving cases rose as well.
I'm not saying I told you so. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm disappointed in people as a whole since this all started. Its not just the US, its here in Canada too. All these asked us to do was a few simple things. Wear a mask, practice social distancing and avoid any unnecessary travel. Yet people can't do it.

I think we if we had shutdown for 6 weeks early on we would be in a better situation. Everyone still had 39 weeks of unemployment benefits avaiable then, and with the stimulus checks and the dozens of other now expired federal pandemic programs, people would have survived financially. But we didn't, we did the minimum

You live so completely in your own safe, comfy financial bubble that it doesn't allow you to even attempt to realize everyone isn't in your well off situation. I see it on the retirement thread also.

You have a good life, I hope you are very thankful. But you are so awesomely out of touch with the average American its mind boggling. As if unemployment just solves it all.

And I'm sure your response to this will prove to be more of the same.

Last edited:
You live so completely in your own safe, comfy financial bubble that it doesn't allow you to even attempt to realize everyone isn't in your well off situation. I see it on the retirement thread also.

You have a good life, I hope you are very thankful. But you are so awesomely out of touch with the average American its mind boggling. As if unemployment just solves it all.

And I'm sure your response to this will prove to be more of the same.
I created my financial bubble. Others can too. What I see is too many people who are better off income wise making poor money decisions. Just ask any credit advisor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter