Bag search /check

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can, avoid bringing a bag to Epcot. That security line is the worst. The other three parks seem to go pretty quick as they have many bag check lines. Epcot's security area is small and they can't fit any more tables in there.

For us, the number of security tables/lines wasn't the issue ... it was how thoroughly they were checking everything! It took them forever. I know it's for our safety, and I appreciate that - but Epcot is the only park where they opened every single zipper on my backpack. I carry a small backpack, and don't keep things in every zippered area. I open the zippers that have things in them, at all the other parks they would just feel the pockets that weren't open, realize there was nothing in there, and move on. But not at Epcot! Every. single. zipper. :confused3

And, the major reason it went slowly, is that folks were not ready and taking ridiculous amounts of stuff in multiple bags with tons of pockets they didn't have open or multiple shopping bags. I was always amazed.

This. It always frustrates me how people can stand for 5 minutes, get up to the front, and not have their bags out of their strollers, or zippers open, or just not be ready at all!! :rolleyes2 If there are longer lines, I always stand back and assess for 30 seconds - and pick the line where people look like they're getting ready properly and will make it through faster. It usually works, and I'm through the line before others who were at the same spot in other lines as me! :cool1:

We have been here since the 15th and most of the time we have waited at least 10 minutes in bag check - even through the international entrance at Epcot. It is more about how thoroughly they have been checking bags, in my opinion. It only bothers me when I show for magic hours early and don't get in the park until 10-15 mins after opening but that is my personal annoyance at having to arrive even earlier more than anything they have done to inconvenience me. My advice, if you choose to bring bags, is to show about 15-20 minutes earlier than you used to for early morning hours (openings or magic hours). Other than that, bag check can take 5 to 10 minutes extra as you enter the parks. We always bring bags as we have kids and I don't like to carry things in my pockets. And, we had a stroller. FYI - they check every pocket of everything including eyeglass cases. In my opinion, Hollywood Studios is regularly the least prepared and longest waits but we only ever entered Epcot through international gateway so the front gate might be bad.

My wife will being a small purse with her and she must go through bag check everytime.
Once we put it in my backpack, and had to take it out and open it up. didn't save anytime, so now she just goes through bag check if she brings it.

A somewhat related question.. how to they handle a bag in a bag? I bought a raincoat that fits in a pouch and will have that in my purse. Will they make me open the raincoat pouch too? If so, I'd like to know ahead of time so I can have it unzipped and ready for searching.

What is the biggest "bag" I can carry to avoid the bag search line?
Anything that they can see which holds items they can't see is a bag. I had a waist phone holder - so literally just fit my phone and I felt the need to open it for them to check. Bag check doesn't take long if people are prepared and are not packing the world in their bags. As I approach i try to make sure each section of my bag/backpack are open so that they can easily look through it. Also make sure you are not packing large amounts into a purse or backpack because they will have you take out everything so they can see to the bottom of the bag.

A somewhat related question.. how to they handle a bag in a bag? I bought a raincoat that fits in a pouch and will have that in my purse. Will they make me open the raincoat pouch too? If so, I'd like to know ahead of time so I can have it unzipped and ready for searching.

If you have a raincoat folded up to be able to fit inside a pouch inside your purse, there's no way you have anything inside of it so 99% chance they'll feel it but not take it out.

They want every bag on the table and if it has pouches/zippers/buttons, they want it all opened to be able to look in

Every zipper should be unzipped. If it has a zipper, open it so they can see inside.

I always carry a bag to the parks and I almost never wait more five minutes. They're pretty efficient as long as you've got your bag open and ready to go when you get up there. The longest I ever waited at bag check was probably 15-20 minutes, and that was at Animal Kingdom the day after the concert hall terror attack in Paris in 2015. They were (for obvious reasons) being extra extra thorough.

Unless u have a small child/baby....I have no idea why anyone would want to carry a bag of any size into a theme park....I've seen some that u would need a Sherpa just to carry! Buy a lanyard....put ur credit cards/id's in that...phone in pocket...and walk! Ur not going camping....IF u need something for an emergency I'm pretty sure Disney sells it....

I always carry a crossbody or a backpack and never waited more than a couple of minutes.

The secret is to be ready for bag check people! Open those pockets! Why yes, there’s nothing inside that ziper but it opening beforehand won’t break your hand. Opening that inside pocket won’t cost you more than a few seconds while you wait. Open them all, open that make up bag inside your backpack as well!

That way the search will be quick, painless and you’ll be out of there in seconds and will make their jobs easier and your day more enjoyable.

Such a simple concept.

Unless u have a small child/baby....I have no idea why anyone would want to carry a bag of any size into a theme park....I've seen some that u would need a Sherpa just to carry! Buy a lanyard....put ur credit cards/id's in that...phone in pocket...and walk! Ur not going camping....IF u need something for an emergency I'm pretty sure Disney sells it....

While I probably could buy anything I need in the park, I have no desire to pay theme park prices for ordinary goods. Extra sunscreen, dollar store ponchos, dollar store glow sticks for fireworks time, reusable water bottles, snacks, and sometimes lunch. A few extra minutes in the bag check line are well worth it to me. Disney is expensive enough without rebuying things i already own. Plus, if I were to buy a bottle of sunscreen or ponchos in the park, I'd still have to carry them around with me, and i much prefer the hands-free convenience of a backpack to the annoyance of a plastic bag.

I would rather wait and have bags and pant pockets checked and be safe than being sorry if sometime bad happens.
It's today's world, not 40 years ago when people can be trusted and honest.

In the bag-less line - I've been stopped because of a camera case just a tad bit thicker than a cell phone ...... Luckily when I opened it - he didn't make me go back to the bag line.

Ummmm...two words: feminine products :lmao:

I wear cargo shorts and everyone has to go through the metal detector at EPCOT every time. The other parks are random. I always walk up carrying my phone and charger(the only metal things on me) and leave my small wallet in my pocket. I must have an honest face because I have never been selected to go through the metal detector at any of the other parks. Maybe they think, "what is this middle aged, over weight, soccer Mom going to do?" LOL Just make sure that you already have your metal stuff out of your pocket and ready to go BEFORE you get to the gate to make it faster for everyone.

I have some medical needs that I have to carry things with me and no Disney does not sell my medical things I can tell you this with 100% certainty and if one of my medical devices falls off it would mean going back to the hotel ( I would have to get there pretty fast so an extra charge for a tixie )or I can just take what I need and know I can change it if when I need too, I also need an EpiPen yes first aid has them but what if I am not close to first aid and need it by the time the CM or someone went to first aid got the epipen and camen back I could be dead ( no joke my dr had one of his patients die at Disney because they forgot their epipen. so some pe have medical devices that Disney does not carry and some people need medical devices/ medication within seconds or they will die

Simple answer - I like having a bag with me. I carry one every other day of the year so it’s not an inconvenience for me to have one on vacation. The only extra item I throw in there is sunscreen so it’s really not a hindrance. Thanks for the advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter