• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD...?

My kids like the bigger ships better, but I prefer the more intimate environment on the smaller ships.

I personally would do the Wonder. I wouldn't base one bad experience in New Orleans on all things New Orleans-ish being bad. I'm from Louisiana and love all things N.O lol That being said....I was on the first sailing after the Wonders reimagining....I loved the atmosphere of Tiana's....I was disappointed with the food. I was in Concierge so the night of AP, we decided to order Tiana's to the room to give it another chance. I ordered what was recommended the night before instead of "just ordering". I was surprised that I liked everything!

Maybe try a non-DCL cruise. You sound like you are burnt out on DCL. If you want to stick with DCL I would do the fantasy since it's your favorite ship. Just go see a movie and maybe a palo brunch on the Star Wars day. I'm very sorry about whatever bad thing happened in New Orleans. I am a New Orleans native and can tell you this is by far the best and most unique city in the world. We have culture, great food, and Mardi Gras! What's not to like. Hope you give us another try sometime. Enjoy your cruise, whichever one you decide.

I'm a big Star Wars fan. I wore a costume on the SWDAS and throughly enjoyed the activities.

That being said, I do not think you would have a problem. The Star Wars stuff pretty much goes on in the Atrium, the D-lounge, a couple of the clubs, during the day, the theatres, and the MDRs for dinner. A few characters and cruisers in costume up on the pool deck from time to time. There maybe 500 people wearing costumes during the day, much fewer wearing them at dinner.

I don't think that you have to sequester yourself on that day. You might see a few people in costume on the other decks, but they won't bother you. They will be too busy trying to get from activity to activity. I think you may be able to do a lot of your normal activities as long as you keep in mind that the SW fans like their stuff as much as you like the stuff that you like.

I hope you enjoy your cruise if you decide to go on the Fantasy.

Not sure if you made a decision already, but I wanted to alert you to the fact that some of the early 2018 cruises on the Magic are now Marvel Day at Sea cruises. I guess your feeling towards those would be similar as your feelings about SWDAS.

Not sure if you made a decision already, but I wanted to alert you to the fact that some of the early 2018 cruises on the Magic are now Marvel Day at Sea cruises. I guess your feeling towards those would be similar as your feelings about SWDAS.

Yeah. I saw that. Looks like it will be the Wonder. :/

I did email DCL about this preponderance of theme cruises and how it is that and not the rates that will probably push me to another line. Not that one person will matter to them, but hey, at least I sent something.

I did email DCL about this preponderance of theme cruises and how it is that and not the rates that will probably push me to another line. Not that one person will matter to them, but hey, at least I sent something.

@Dug720 , I feel the same way. Once you've done one theme cruise, I don't see the value in doing it again, especially when the ports are the same.

In looking at my options for Presidents' Week 2018 to book while on board this year, I have come to one of those "lesser of two evils" kind of choices.

Option 1 - The Fantasy (to this point my favorite ship) is doing a Western itinerary - an itinerary that is new to me and I would love to see. BUT I do not like Star Wars at all and it is a Star Wars cruise - meaning at least one day would be a wash for me as I would likely be in my cabin all day to avoid the (IMHO) insanity.

Option 2 - The Wonder - will experience a Classic for the first time this Pres Week with the Magic, so I don't know how I will feel about them (may make a choice moot) - is doing an Eastern. BUT it is not doing the cool ports like Tortola and St. Thomas - it is doing St. Maarten (fine, but BTDT) and San Juan (I possibly dislike this port more than Nassau - though I am willing to say a lot of that could be due to the horrible guide I had on my rainforest/waterfall excursion). Gross. I'm not sure about Tiana's as due to a horrid personal experience on a trip ANYTHING New Orleans themed is iffy for me, but I know there are options like Cabanas (as long as I don't get a rotation that starts with Tiana's).

So... What would you choose...

A ship you know you love with a new-to-you itinerary but a pretty much in-your-cabin day because of a theme you cannot stand?

Or a ship you haven't been on before but with an itinerary you have and were not thrilled with?

Edit: There *is* a 5-night option on the Magic from Miami that goes to Grand Cayman and Castaway I can consider...but I get less in terms of OBB benefits.
Have not read the entire thread so I am not sure where the discussion went but we also do not like star wars (or marvel for that matter) and definitely avoid those cruises. They are not disney and for us they detract from the disney experience (for which we pay a lot). DCL might as well have a bugs bunny cruise or a teenage mutant ninja turtles cruise. Makes just as much sense.

@Dug720 , I feel the same way. Once you've done one theme cruise, I don't see the value in doing it again, especially when the ports are the same.

I suggested they look into having one or two cruises where the entire week is the theme - that way they might be able to get some of the bigger names people want, and if the themeing is as popular as they think, they could make a lot more money by starting at even higher prices. Of course, with my luck, they would pick one of the only times I can go as a teacher and therefore defeat the whole purpose in my eyes.

Have not read the entire thread so I am not sure where the discussion went but we also do not like star wars (or marvel for that matter) and definitely avoid those cruises. They are not disney and for us they detract from the disney experience (for which we pay a lot). DCL might as well have a bugs bunny cruise or a teenage mutant ninja turtles cruise. Makes just as much sense.

Well, the discussion had me between the Wonder and making the best of it or the 5-night Magic without ALL the perks of onboard booking (smaller OBC, larger deposit).

But DCL just made the decision for me unless I decide to jump ship to another line. The Wonder is the only non-theme cruise that week.

I know, I was thinking the same. I even like Star Wars and Marvel, but I don't want to be on a cruise around that. I don't need all Star Wars films in the Buena Vista Theater, I am not big on wearing costumes and I prefer the cute Fab 5 over Darth Vader...

But the good news is that if you like the Magic, you will also like the Wonder. She is my first DCL ship and I still love her a lot. I love the look of the refurbishment and think she will be a great cruise ship for you! After two cruises on the Fantasy I am now thinking that I belong into the group of those who prefer the classics for the more intimate atmosphere (and I never thought the Fantasy was too crowded or so.).

I suggested they look into having one or two cruises where the entire week is the theme - that way they might be able to get some of the bigger names people want, and if the themeing is as popular as they think, they could make a lot more money by starting at even higher prices. Of course, with my luck, they would pick one of the only times I can go as a teacher and therefore defeat the whole purpose in my eyes.

Surely, you wouldn't be so unlucky:eeyore:

I just think it's sad that they feel the need to theme just about every cruise, outside the lucrative summer season, to attract enough people to pay their prices.

I feel compelled, and will surely regret getting sucked into this tread again, to point out that these are not themed cruises. It's ONE day of the cruise.

And of course they are going to schedule these in the winter to draw more people. It's called business.

I feel compelled, and will surely regret getting sucked into this tread again, to point out that these are not themed cruises. It's ONE day of the cruise.

And of course they are going to schedule these in the winter to draw more people. It's called business.

But, it's not just winter. It's from end of January till the middle of April for SWDAS on virtually every 7 day cruise.

It's Halloween, all of September, October fleetwide.

Then you have Merrytime in November and December, fleetwide.

Now you have Marvel on the Magic for October, November, Jan., Feb., March, April

It might be one day, but there are decorations on the ship, fellow cruisers are talking about it and then one day, you lose out on some areas of the ship if you wish to avoid it.

I feel like it's intrusive and detracts from my enjoyment of my cruise, especially since I've already experienced it.

Just one more example of Disney having no respect or consideration of their repeat cruisers. I dare say, these old repeat cruisers, that they built their successful business on! If they had started out this way, there is no way I would still be cruising with them.

But, it's not just winter. It's from end of January till the middle of April for SWDAS on virtually every 7 day cruise.

Now you have Marvel on the Magic for October, November, Jan., Feb., March, April

It might be one day, but there are decorations on the ship, fellow cruisers are talking about it and then one day, you lose out on some areas of the ship if you wish to avoid it.

I feel like it's intrusive and detracts from my enjoyment of my cruise, especially since I've already experienced it.

Just one more example of Disney having no respect or consideration of their repeat cruisers. I dare say, these old repeat cruisers, that they built their successful business on! If they had started out this way, there is no way I would still be cruising with them.

And I am fairly sure they would still sail full or almost full on Presidents' Week without needing a gimmick. A LOT of schools are out that week - especially in the Northeast, and we WANT to get away from the cold!

I am an old repeat Dcl cruiser and totally enjoy all of this. To each his own. There are a lot of ships out there to choose from.

And I am fairly sure they would still sail full or almost full on Presidents' Week without needing a gimmick. A LOT of schools are out that week - especially in the Northeast, and we WANT to get away from the cold!

And as a very successful business concern, they know their marketing and how to best capitalize on all of their properties.

I am an old repeat Dcl cruiser and totally enjoy all of this. To each his own. There are a lot of ships out there to choose from.

There sure are, thankfully!

I would love to see the number of old cruisers. I think we are in the minority. The threads on this board from first timers and the fact that you see the same repeat cruisers for the majority, answering posts, lead me to believe there aren't that many still around.

And as a very successful business concern, they know their marketing and how to best capitalize on all of their properties.

Not all business is good business. I, for one, no longer recommend DCL to my friends and family.

How many is plenty to you, @allears?

I hazard a guess that you are traveling on unique itineraries or long cruises.

When I attend the Gold/Platinum reception on my cruises, there isn't 50 people there, except for the long itineraries.

Sure, I know there are repeat cruisers. I just think they are in the minority.

To be significant, I would need to see several hundred. The Classic ships can sail with 2700 passengers, the Dream/Fantasy, with 4000. A nightclub full of people isn't a significant number of repeat cruisers. Even if another nightclub full of people failed to show up to the reception, it still wouldn't be significant.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter