WWYD...?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
In looking at my options for Presidents' Week 2018 to book while on board this year, I have come to one of those "lesser of two evils" kind of choices.

Option 1 - The Fantasy (to this point my favorite ship) is doing a Western itinerary - an itinerary that is new to me and I would love to see. BUT I do not like Star Wars at all and it is a Star Wars cruise - meaning at least one day would be a wash for me as I would likely be in my cabin all day to avoid the (IMHO) insanity.

Option 2 - The Wonder - will experience a Classic for the first time this Pres Week with the Magic, so I don't know how I will feel about them (may make a choice moot) - is doing an Eastern. BUT it is not doing the cool ports like Tortola and St. Thomas - it is doing St. Maarten (fine, but BTDT) and San Juan (I possibly dislike this port more than Nassau - though I am willing to say a lot of that could be due to the horrible guide I had on my rainforest/waterfall excursion). Gross. I'm not sure about Tiana's as due to a horrid personal experience on a trip ANYTHING New Orleans themed is iffy for me, but I know there are options like Cabanas (as long as I don't get a rotation that starts with Tiana's).

So... What would you choose...

A ship you know you love with a new-to-you itinerary but a pretty much in-your-cabin day because of a theme you cannot stand?

Or a ship you haven't been on before but with an itinerary you have and were not thrilled with?

Edit: There *is* a 5-night option on the Magic from Miami that goes to Grand Cayman and Castaway I can consider...but I get less in terms of OBB benefits.

I'm sorry I don't get why folks think a Star Wars day would be a deal breaker. Just don't take part in the activities and do the stuff you want. It's not like there is an all day parade around the pools or that you can't enjoy your meals.

Check out a Navigator from a previous sailing. All of the usual activities are available like tastings and I would think the special stuff might pull some folks away from the pools and Aqua duck.

Last edited:
Go with the Fantasy if that is your favorite ship. I would not be too concerned about the Star Wars day. Just do what you normally would do and ignore any SW stuff. I would not stay in my cabin. That seems silly.

Just a note that I just came back from the Wonder on Friday and and loved Tiana's.

MJ

Isn't a lot of the stuff on the pool deck?

I guess part of my fears about it being all over and in your face stems from having to deal with ComiCon in NYC while just trying to live your life. If your life involves being anywhere around Penn Station (at least) you cannot avoid the crazy.

You have an irrational fear of Star Wars and your asking asking rational people if this would be a deal breaker for them? I think most people would just enjoy the day. Do what they want to do, laugh at the fanatics and move on. It seems a little over the top to lock yourself in your room because other people are enjoying something you don't like. I hate Frozen, but I still go to the dumb party because I happen to like watching other people have fun.

You have an irrational fear of Star Wars and your asking asking rational people if this would be a deal breaker for them? I think most people would just enjoy the day. Do what they want to do, laugh at the fanatics and move on. It seems a little over the top to lock yourself in your room because other people are enjoying something you don't like. I hate Frozen, but I still go to the dumb party because I happen to like watching other people have fun.

I don't have a FEAR of Star Wars. My fear is that all the stuff is over the top in your face and there is no way to escape it (especially when you see reports from people who say "there wasn't enough going on and we let them know"). I have a DISLIKE of it. And I don't find it fun to have to be around something I don't like. (I also personally don't consider it Disney. Ditto Marvel.)

If they had a "Star Wars-free" zone where there would be no activities or characters walking through, that would be awesome for those of us who want nothing to do with it.

It sounds like you have far more dislikes about the Wonder than the single day star wars at sea. You don't like the Wonder ports and don't like one of the MDR's, the Fantasy is your favorite ship, does not seem like there is much to decide. For us the Wonder is our favorite ship and would take any opportunity to sail. There is so much going on during the day I would not worry about some Star War characters mulling about.

Isn't a lot of the stuff on the pool deck?

Only the deck party at night. Again, look up a Navigator to see the other stuff going on. If you're not traveling with kids sattite falls will be a great escape.

Or book the ship that isn't doing this and deal with the stuff you don't like there.

In looking at my options for Presidents' Week 2018 to book while on board this year, I have come to one of those "lesser of two evils" kind of choices.

Option 1 - The Fantasy (to this point my favorite ship) is doing a Western itinerary - an itinerary that is new to me and I would love to see. BUT I do not like Star Wars at all and it is a Star Wars cruise - meaning at least one day would be a wash for me as I would likely be in my cabin all day to avoid the (IMHO) insanity.

Option 2 - The Wonder - will experience a Classic for the first time this Pres Week with the Magic, so I don't know how I will feel about them (may make a choice moot) - is doing an Eastern. BUT it is not doing the cool ports like Tortola and St. Thomas - it is doing St. Maarten (fine, but BTDT) and San Juan (I possibly dislike this port more than Nassau - though I am willing to say a lot of that could be due to the horrible guide I had on my rainforest/waterfall excursion). Gross. I'm not sure about Tiana's as due to a horrid personal experience on a trip ANYTHING New Orleans themed is iffy for me, but I know there are options like Cabanas (as long as I don't get a rotation that starts with Tiana's).

So... What would you choose...

A ship you know you love with a new-to-you itinerary but a pretty much in-your-cabin day because of a theme you cannot stand?

Or a ship you haven't been on before but with an itinerary you have and were not thrilled with?

Edit: There *is* a 5-night option on the Magic from Miami that goes to Grand Cayman and Castaway I can consider...but I get less in terms of OBB benefits.
Why would you book a DCL cruise that you are not excited about? How about taking a vacation to an all inclusive resort in Mexico, Jamaica, DR, or something like that.

MUN

I have to agree with the others. I don't see the need to lock yourself in the cabin just because you might do nothing more than glimpse a Piece of brown fabric(Jedi cloak) or white plastic (storm trooper armor). Just don't interact with them and walk on by it I think you'd be fine....but that's just my take. Otherwise get a rainforest pass and sequester yourself in the spa and your room all day

Why would you book a DCL cruise that you are not excited about? How about taking a vacation to an all inclusive resort in Mexico, Jamaica, DR, or something like that.

MUN

Because I have NO desire to do an all-inclusive "resort".

I too strongly dislike anything Star Wars related, and if I had a cruise booked that became a SWDAS Cruise I would be upset. But given your situation, I think I would lean toward the Fantasy. That seems to be the best option for you.

I was in a similar situation as I had planned to do the Coast to Coast Run Disney challenge in 2015, with our DL race being the Tinkerbell 1/2 in Jan as that worked for us...then they moved Tinkerbell to a weekend in May that didn't work for us. :( I was really bummed out but then they added the Star Wars 1/2 in January. As much as I have 0 interest in SW, and it is actually a turn off to me, I did it, because it was a small part of the big picture.

I'm not sure how much you can avoid the SW stuff, but I would think you could somewhat avoid it, so hopefully it wouldn't be too bad. Good luck with your decision.

It's like I don't even know you, Beth. :) I go years agreeing with most of what you say and then this post. ;) What's next? You hate running? Lol.

meaning at least one day would be a wash for me as I would likely be in my cabin all day to avoid the (IMHO) insanity.

I despise pirate night (aka Criminal Night!) so we avoid the supposed buffet and the fireworks (awful fireworks) and whatever else they do with it. I've been on two dcl Halloween cruises and (even though I don't mind Halloween) have never really caught any of the festivities. There's always plenty of other stuff to do!

BUT it is not doing the cool ports like Tortola and St. Thomas - it is doing St. Maarten (fine, but BTDT) and San Juan (I possibly dislike this port more than Nassau - though I am willing to say a lot of that could be due to the horrible guide I had on my rainforest/waterfall excursion).

Gasp. You don't like SJ??? Sounds like you didn't like one dude. One dude is not all of San Juan. Try something else there. Try a delicious pina colada (virgin or boozy) at Barrachina. Walk the lovely streets. Learn about the history of OSJ. Who needs a rainforest? You could visit the Olympics for that next time you're in WA. (Different sort of rainforest but still the other US rainforest)

I didn't like our Bernard's tour in Sint Maarten but I still like Sint Maarten. The guide can't ruin a whole place for us. :)

Though the Laughing Buddha in st Thomas (at havensight alas) was neat and hippie and Delish. And they do have a good chocolate place.

all the stuff is over the top in your face and there is no way to escape it (especially when you see reports from people who say "there wasn't enough going on and we let them know").

That usually means that they didn't want to do all the other stuff and felt there could have been more SW. Doesn't mean it's all SW. (Means the opposite yes?)

Wanna come up to WA and watch the SW movies with my kid? He might make a fan out of you. He even appreciates the ghastly JarJar Binks. :)

(Currently soaking my feet after the challenge at the Light Side races at Disneyland so I can't imagine hating SW that much even though I hate jarjar and anakin and Padme is a weenie and George Lucas is a lucky lucky man since he's such an awful writer and director!)

I guess part of my fears about it being all over and in your face stems from having to deal with ComiCon in NYC while just trying to live your life. If your life involves being anywhere around Penn Station (at least) you cannot avoid the crazy.

People who like things are crazy. :) Some like Mickey Mouse too much. Some like Cinderella in overwhelming ways. Some like plush dolls to a disturbing degree. I hated Harry Potter before reading it because of the crazed people buying the books from Amazon and screaming at me about their book being 2.5 minutes late. I was only hurting myself.

It's like I don't even know you, Beth. :) I go years agreeing with most of what you say and then this post. ;) What's next? You hate running? Lol.

I despise pirate night (aka Criminal Night!) so we avoid the supposed buffet and the fireworks (awful fireworks) and whatever else they do with it. I've been on two dcl Halloween cruises and (even though I don't mind Halloween) have never really caught any of the festivities. There's always plenty of other stuff to do!

Gasp. You don't like SJ??? Sounds like you didn't like one dude. One dude is not all of San Juan. Try something else there. Try a delicious pina colada (virgin or boozy) at Barrachina. Walk the lovely streets. Learn about the history of OSJ. Who needs a rainforest? You could visit the Olympics for that next time you're in WA. (Different sort of rainforest but still the other US rainforest)

I didn't like our Bernard's tour in Sint Maarten but I still like Sint Maarten. The guide can't ruin a whole place for us. :)

Though the Laughing Buddha in st Thomas (at havensight alas) was neat and hippie and Delish. And they do have a good chocolate place.

That usually means that they didn't want to do all the other stuff and felt there could have been more SW. Doesn't mean it's all SW. (Means the opposite yes?)

Wanna come up to WA and watch the SW movies with my kid? He might make a fan out of you. He even appreciates the ghastly JarJar Binks. :)

(Currently soaking my feet after the challenge at the Light Side races at Disneyland so I can't imagine hating SW that much even though I hate jarjar and anakin and Padme is a weenie and George Lucas is a lucky lucky man since he's such an awful writer and director!)

Well...I am more into Taekwondo now and pretty much only run when they make us run around the mats... Lol. I tried it almost on a dare and discovered that "it changed my life" feeing so many talk about regarding finish lines of races that I never got? I get it with each new skill I learn and belt I get in TKD.

You bring up some good points. I may do a Plan A but be ready for a Plan B depending on what I think about the Classic ships when I'm on the Magic.

If the Wonder was going to Tortolla and St. Thomas it would be a no-brainer.

I did like St. Maarten - I would have to look at port times and see if they would work with Soualiga Destinations again as that was a lot of fun.

And good point. There are other excursions in San Juan...

So it may come down to if I'm bowled over with the Magic. Lol. No pressure there Miss Magic.

People who like things are crazy. :) Some like Mickey Mouse too much. Some like Cinderella in overwhelming ways. Some like plush dolls to a disturbing degree. I hated Harry Potter before reading it because of the crazed people buying the books from Amazon and screaming at me about their book being 2.5 minutes late. I was only hurting myself.

Oh I did see the original three - my dad took me when I was little. I just don't get the rabid devotion people have for it. (Again, I guess like the finish line never gave me the "changed my life" feeing so many others get but Taekwondo does.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter