WWYD...?

I'd do the Fantasy for sure, just spend the Star Wars day at Satellite Falls, the gym and other non Star Wars related places.

Or..............hollow out a couple cinnamon rolls, throw them on your ears, don a white dress and let your strong and powerful Princess Leia shine through. She's a bada$$

I don't have a FEAR of Star Wars. My fear is that all the stuff is over the top in your face and there is no way to escape it (especially when you see reports from people who say "there wasn't enough going on and we let them know"). I have a DISLIKE of it. And I don't find it fun to have to be around something I don't like. (I also personally don't consider it Disney. Ditto Marvel.)

If they had a "Star Wars-free" zone where there would be no activities or characters walking through, that would be awesome for those of us who want nothing to do with it.
Ok so your afraid of in your face over the top stuff? I would think that would exclude anything Disney. You can't have fun around things you don't like? How sad. Really sad. You obviously don't have kids, Anyone that has kids knows how to have fun doing things they don't like. It's all about attitude.

Ok so your afraid of in your face over the top stuff? I would think that would exclude anything Disney. You can't have fun around things you don't like? How sad. Really sad. You obviously don't have kids, Anyone that has kids knows how to have fun doing things they don't like. It's all about attitude.

Thanks for your judgment and lack of reading comprehension.

I have plenty of fun. I just personally do not consider Star Wars a) fun or b) Disney.

Thanks for your judgment and lack of reading comprehension.

I have plenty of fun. I just personally do not consider Star Wars a) fun or b) Disney.
Then don't go on the Fantasy if you can't have fun around people that like Star Wars. Seems like the easiest solution. I'm not sure what you expect people to say. For most people it would be a non issue. If your looking for affirmation I hope you find it.

Go on the Magic and see how you like it before you make a decision. I love the Fantasy and thought I would enjoy the Magic as well due to how many here rave about the classic ships. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it will be a long time before I am back on the Magic. It was just too small for me and there were a lot of maintenance issues all over the ship. The adult pool area wasn't nearly as nice as the Fantasy. My MIL is a smoker (and with me on that cruise) so I get that there need to be smoking areas, but the one on the Magic was right next to the adult pool. Even when I went on the other side of the ship the smoke drifted over. I thought the adult bar areas on the Fantasy were nicer too. I hardly drink alcohol, but I'm looking forward to actually spending time there at night now that my DD can go to Edge (she hated the club/lab). Not sure if you like Castaway Cay or not, but it was much less crowded with the smaller ship.

I'm not a super huge Star Wars fan. I like the movies, but I'm not into dressing up and would lose at any trivia game LOL!!! I had our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy booked before it turned into a SWDAS cruise. It's annoying that DCL seems to feel many of their cruises need a theme now (SWDAS, Marvel, Halloween, Christmas....), but it is what it is.

Go on the Magic and see how you like it before you make a decision. I love the Fantasy and thought I would enjoy the Magic as well due to how many here rave about the classic ships. I wouldn't say I hated it, but it will be a long time before I am back on the Magic. It was just too small for me and there were a lot of maintenance issues all over the ship. The adult pool area wasn't nearly as nice as the Fantasy. My MIL is a smoker (and with me on that cruise) so I get that there need to be smoking areas, but the one on the Magic was right next to the adult pool. Even when I went on the other side of the ship the smoke drifted over. I thought the adult bar areas on the Fantasy were nicer too. I hardly drink alcohol, but I'm looking forward to actually spending time there at night now that my DD can go to Edge (she hated the club/lab). Not sure if you like Castaway Cay or not, but it was much less crowded with the smaller ship.

I'm not a super huge Star Wars fan. I like the movies, but I'm not into dressing up and would lose at any trivia game LOL!!! I had our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy booked before it turned into a SWDAS cruise. It's annoying that DCL seems to feel many of their cruises need a theme now (SWDAS, Marvel, Halloween, Christmas....), but it is what it is.

Thank you! I think I may indeed go in with a "Plan A" but be ready for "Plan B" or "Plan C" depending on how I like it.

How does one go on a ship, like the Magic before making a decision. Wothdn't going on the Magic be the decision?

And seriously Christmas and Halloween themed cruises? They aren't themes they are full blown holidays that many venues do things for. And the cruises aren't themed as Star Wars or Marvel, it's one day.

The fact is that a Disney Cruise already has an overriding theme/story. Adding special days is just adding fun for those who enjoy them. There are plenty of options on board if you don't.

How does one go on a ship, like the Magic before making a decision. Wothdn't going on the Magic be the decision?
No, the choice was between the Fantasy and the Wonder. OP says she's not been on either of the classics, but has a Magic cruise coming up. Maybe going to "test the waters" (referring to the classic ships) before making the call on whether to go on the Wonder.

No, the choice was between the Fantasy and the Wonder. OP says she's not been on either of the classics, but has a Magic cruise coming up. Maybe going to "test the waters" (referring to the classic ships) before making the call on whether to go on the Wonder.

Yes. I'm taking my parents on the Magic this Presidents' Week. My plan is to book for next year while on board - so I can see how I like the Classic ship size and ethos.

Yes. I'm taking my parents on the Magic this Presidents' Week. My plan is to book for next year while on board - so I can see how I like the Classic ship size and ethos.

Ah, missed that. It's very subjective but I have sailed the Magic a bunch of times and though I completely enjoy the Fantasy the Magic is still my favorite. The last time I sailed her was two years ago and she is every bit as beautiful as when I first sailed her in 2002.

Sail on the Fantasy and make SW day your spa / Disney on-demand in the stateroom / laundry/ Palo brunch / Remy dinner day. Honestly, I would never forgo a ship & itinerary I wanted in order to avoid one day of theming I didn't like. Just schedule your trip so that it is your not-in-common-areas day. Do laundry, eat at upcharge restaurants & room service instead of MDR/pool deck, get a spa treatment/veg in the Rainforest Room, chill in your stateroom & enjoy a few hours of downtime.

Sail on the Fantasy and make SW day your spa / Disney on-demand in the stateroom / laundry/ Palo brunch / Remy dinner day. Honestly, I would never forgo a ship & itinerary I wanted in order to avoid one day of theming I didn't like. Just schedule your trip so that it is your not-in-common-areas day. Do laundry, eat at upcharge restaurants & room service instead of MDR/pool deck, get a spa treatment/veg in the Rainforest Room, chill in your stateroom & enjoy a few hours of downtime.

This THis THIS!

I don't know you personally, Beth, but I do think you have an opportunity here. A whole lot of people are going to be doing the Star Wars activities. Going to the movies, the Star War events. The rest of the ship will be MUCH emptier! A perfect chance to do all those things that Shanti mentioned that might be more crowded on other days. Or even chilling in your room, reading sounds like a great day to me. Maybe you need to spring for a Veranda on this cruise! It's a good excuse, right?

One other thing, I know some Star Wars Fanatics that go to conventions, etc., and I don't think they'd be too enticed by a cruise like this. Most of the people who go on this kind of cruise are the same kind that go on most Disney cruises. Parents of young kids who want them to live the dream. I don't think they will be too "in your face," well, OK, no more than any other 7-year-old. :)

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise. I'll be back on land, jealous either way!

Personally I would stick with the Fantasy given the options. I *really* love the Wonder personally, even though she was the last one we sailed but I haven't been on since her reimagining and won't get to see it until this October. I like Disney-fied New Orleans stuff though.... Blue Bayou and Disneylands New Orleans Square are some of my favorite spots.

I just can't see tossing aside a ship you love with an interesting itinerary for one day that is a wash. Seems like a better bang for your buck to have 5 lovely days than a week of a meh vacation. Since the Western Fantasy only has two sea days you may actually end up really appreciating the laid back day in the cabin - they feel soooo good when we have lots of busy port days personally. I'm not sure how over the top the theming is in places like the adult exclusive places as others have mentioned.

I think you have gotten some very good feed back (and some not so nice feed back) :( but I will say that I prefer the Fantasy and if my cruise happened to be SWDAS (which I have NEVER seen a SW movie, nor do I care too), I would simply go people watch in the atrium, spend the day in the spa, hang out by Satellite Falls, whatever...it wouldn't impact my enjoyment of the Fantasy, and I know it won't for you either. For me, Pirate night is the same as you feel towards SW and I just spend it watching all the people in costumes (we had one guy on our last cruise that dressed like Captain Hook from Once Upon A Time and I seriously thought it was the actor that plays him!). I guarantee there will be plenty of good costumes on a SWDAS. I have only sailed the Wonder one time (our first DCL cruise) and have not made it back to the classics. I would hesitate to sail either of the classics now just because I love the Fantasy and would feel they are too small and too old--even with the retrofits. JMHO

Just got back from sw cruise. I'd say 95% of those dressed up just wore a sw t-shirt. Easy to walk past character greetings without seeing characters because so many others blocking them from view. No one was in your face with all the sw stuff, I also don't care for sw and was able to easily avoid it.

Given your scenario I would lean toward Fantasy. I don't think SWDAS would be a big deal if you aren't into it. If a stormtrooper walks by just ignore him. I've no experience with a SWDAS cruise but I would be willing to bet that you probably wouldn't see any of that stuff on the adult portion of the deck, which on the Fantasy is a pretty big area.

Thanks everyone! Leaning towards the Fantasy. We shall see what the rates look like in a few weeks.

I just got off the SW cruise from the week of Jan 7 and I can say for sure, yes, it is definitely an all day thing and definitely on the pool decks. They blow the horn with the Star Wars theme a few times, have storm troopers come out, etc. The movies in the theater and on funnel vision are all Star Wars. You cannot avoid it. Maybe going to the spa?? They had quite a few characters just roaming throughout the ship all day long. People were dressed up all over the pool deck. Avoiding it is not an option because you will run into it. My opinion would be to prepare for it or choose a different ship. I am not a Star Wars fan, but I did have a good time.
Good luck and what ever you decide, hope you have a great time :)

Given your scenario I would lean toward Fantasy. I don't think SWDAS would be a big deal if you aren't into it. If a stormtrooper walks by just ignore him. I've no experience with a SWDAS cruise but I would be willing to bet that you probably wouldn't see any of that stuff on the adult portion of the deck, which on the Fantasy is a pretty big area.
I wish my life was so easy I had time to stress out about running into storm troopers and people in costume. The things people stress about on these boards is laughable at times. I'm sailing on the Fantasy in September and it would take the boat sinking for me not to have a good time. Even a sinking ship might be better then being at work.

Another cruise line, maybe?

For that kind of prices you can get in many luxurious cruise lines.

And/or save hundreds/thousands (more than any 10% + OBC you would get with DCL).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter