WWYD...?

Another cruise line, maybe?

For that kind of prices you can get in many luxurious cruise lines.

And/or save hundreds/thousands (more than any 10% + OBC you would get with DCL).

Not interested in another cruise line.

First world problem. I'll stop there. Your dollar - your choice of what you view to be the lesser of two evils. In my world.....it would be a miracle to have such a choice. How blessed to be able to make the choice.

I am sure the adult deck would provide much sanctuary.

In looking at my options for Presidents' Week 2018 to book while on board this year, I have come to one of those "lesser of two evils" kind of choices.

Option 1 - The Fantasy (to this point my favorite ship) is doing a Western itinerary - an itinerary that is new to me and I would love to see. BUT I do not like Star Wars at all and it is a Star Wars cruise - meaning at least one day would be a wash for me as I would likely be in my cabin all day to avoid the (IMHO) insanity.

Option 2 - The Wonder - will experience a Classic for the first time this Pres Week with the Magic, so I don't know how I will feel about them (may make a choice moot) - is doing an Eastern. BUT it is not doing the cool ports like Tortola and St. Thomas - it is doing St. Maarten (fine, but BTDT) and San Juan (I possibly dislike this port more than Nassau - though I am willing to say a lot of that could be due to the horrible guide I had on my rainforest/waterfall excursion). Gross. I'm not sure about Tiana's as due to a horrid personal experience on a trip ANYTHING New Orleans themed is iffy for me, but I know there are options like Cabanas (as long as I don't get a rotation that starts with Tiana's).

So... What would you choose...

A ship you know you love with a new-to-you itinerary but a pretty much in-your-cabin day because of a theme you cannot stand?

Or a ship you haven't been on before but with an itinerary you have and were not thrilled with?

Edit: There *is* a 5-night option on the Magic from Miami that goes to Grand Cayman and Castaway I can consider...but I get less in terms of OBB benefits.

I've been on the ship during the Christmas "insanity" with kids trying to see the characters and Santa in the atrium and we worked around it -- without having to lock ourselves in the cabin. I think if you find out the Star Wars schedule of activity and locations, you can plan on being somewhere else on the ship during those times -- maybe try some taste testings or Palo Brunch. I personally would choose the ship you love with the itinerary you haven't done. I've done all four ships and love the classics, but am tired of St. Maartin and St. Thomas! The 5-night option also sounds nice since it includes Grand Cayman.

I guess part of my fears about it being all over and in your face stems from having to deal with ComiCon in NYC while just trying to live your life. If your life involves being anywhere around Penn Station (at least) you cannot avoid the crazy.

HA HA -- my daughter and husband did that for six years and they had some great stories about the totally involved people they saw.

I don't have a FEAR of Star Wars. My fear is that all the stuff is over the top in your face and there is no way to escape it (especially when you see reports from people who say "there wasn't enough going on and we let them know"). I have a DISLIKE of it. And I don't find it fun to have to be around something I don't like. (I also personally don't consider it Disney. Ditto Marvel.)

If they had a "Star Wars-free" zone where there would be no activities or characters walking through, that would be awesome for those of us who want nothing to do with it.
No personal experience with the star wars day sailings, but I would think that except for the occasional roaming character and of course Skyline, the adult-only areas would be devoid of star wars. Anyone with personal experience?

HA HA -- my daughter and husband did that for six years and they had some great stories about the totally involved people they saw.

Oh the subways are FUN during that time.

At least most of them are not drunk like we get in December (SantaCon).

Ok. Quick question... If I decide to do the 5-night... I would still get the 10% off and $100 OBC, but my deposit would be the standard 20%, right?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Star Wars Day at Sea will overtake the entire ship. We have been on a Very Merrytime cruise and also Halloween on the High Seas and we barely noticed the difference from a "regular" sailing. I took my kid to the events he wanted to go to, but my husband for example avoided the crowds and he has not seen anything Halloween on the ship other than some decorated stateroom doors, food signs and decorations here and there. I would imagine that the adults area on deck will be fairly quiet even on Star Wars day. Hang out there, go to the Cove Café and maybe go to the Spa? You could easily spend a few hours in the rainforest room there.
I would definitely choose the cruise based on itinerary... and by the way I so wish the Fantasy went to St. Maarten! I'm bummed that it doesn't anymore.
I for one could care less to do another Western itinerary so if it came down to it, I would choose Eastern over ship or any theme.
Good luck with your decision!

I would stick with the fantasy cruise and take a serious look at the navigator for the SWDAS. I'm sure there are plenty of things going on that day that you would enjoy or places you could go on the ship to enjoy. Or just hang out in your cabin and order room service. You could always go to the adult pool area.

Not even a luxurious one like Regent?

:eek:

I just checked Regent out because I don't think I had ever seen one of their ships, and it was a pleasant surprise to see their ships actually look like ships. Don't know how they are on the inside but these days with all these floating lego block ships, it's nice to see a ship look like a ship.

Fine, but if you aren't excited about a DCL cruise at that time, perhaps you should try something else. Hey! I have an idea! How about a non all inclusive resort?

I agree. Why spend the money on a DCL cruise, when all you see are negative aspects of each itinerary? Find another cruise line that doesn't have any of the features you dislike.

I just checked Regent out because I don't think I had ever seen one of their ships, and it was a pleasant surprise to see their ships actually look like ships. Don't know how they are on the inside but these days with all these floating lego block ships, it's nice to see a ship look like a ship.

They look good (if you enjoy the classic look)... Lots of wood and varnish and ... How do you call those huge lamps made of crystals? (In french they are called "lustre")

I think I've about decided that unless I really don't like the Classic ships (I'm kind of doubting I'll dislike them because I loved fathom and it's even smaller) I'll probably do the Wonder and just open myself up to the experience. I didn't dislike St. Maarten, and some of you made a good point that it was one guide who made the San Juan excursion unpleasant (and I let that color San Juan).

Looking at budget and so forth, that seems to be the best option for me. (Plus hey...if I can change my mind and actually book a Little Mermaid room - and be excited about it - for my August WDW trip... :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter