Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's some real irony at work here ... so, because of the DDP, Disney is awash in yucky food ... and folks are complaining because they can't get ADRs so that they can partake of the yucky food...

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Some folks just love to find something to complain about. I just prefer to find something to praise.

We'll continue to use the DDP as long as it works to our benefit, financially and otherwise.

We're using our DVC points this Thanksgiving to go to Hilton Head (outside the BOX!) before returning to WDW for a May 08 trip. This is going to be our "everthing but Disney" trip ... we'll do the Luau (DD has never seen it), but the REST of the time, we're going to Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens. So ADRs, DDP, etc., will be irrelevant ... we'll stay on property, but Disney will just have to manage without us.

Just doing a quick (ha!) skim of all the anti DDP threads, I am so honestly bewildered. If you like it, use it; if you don't, then don't. What I find to be such an absolute hoot is the frenzy generated by rumor, albeit rumors from sources that might just know what they're talking about. I'll base future decisions on All Things Disney when it is announced officially, and plan accordingly.

At Disney, one size does NOT fit all. I'm not gonna devalue others just because their dreams are not the same as mine. It is all an "eye of the beholder" issue.

Diverse group, we Disney lovers.

There you go. Was that DDPish enough? :woohoo:

Now, back to cajun and creole cooking...or whatever.

My "low country boil" was a hit, btw. Cooked all that stuff together in a huge pot, drained it, and poured it all out on our patio table onto newspaper. Melted some butter and put it in bowls for dipping. It was DW, DD, DD's newish boyfriend - I'm trying to decide if I like him (they came up tonight just to eat, about a 90 minute drive from college), and me. I've eaten myself into a stupor, and it was great. Had some coleslaw with homemade dressing, some corn muffins, and some pecan pie. And a couple of gallons of sweet tea. Jealous? :cloud9:

To stay with the DDPish thing. Can't eat that much food, so we don't use it. Prefer the DDE, saves money on liquor! We do like our wine with dinner, and it's not Boone's Farm! Oh, that might be considered fine dining. ;)

Dreamfinder, with that dinner your Southern is definitely showing!!!!

Shovan, you're one smart "yat"; you've determined what works for y'all and are sticking with it.

Man ALIVE, some solutions are just so easy to come by.

I'm getting a real whiff of "entitlement" from a lot of posters regarding the DDP, as if they're the only guests who ever have, or ever will, visit Disney.

We've used the DDP on every trip since its inception, but it never was our intent to ruin anyone else's life by doing so. I apologize for all my shortcomings.

Oh, yeah ... as a Southerner, I'm automatically a dirt-eating, toothless, inbred redneck. As I said somewhere else, I love Jiko and California Grill, but some days, nothing but Waffle House will do.

To stay with the DDPish thing. Can't eat that much food, so we don't use it. Prefer the DDE, saves money on liquor! We do like our wine with dinner, and it's not Boone's Farm! Oh, that might be considered fine dining. ;)
We tried the DDP on our trip in May, but like you, we don't like to eat that much food. My husband and I usually will split our meals at WDW so we can experience great food without getting so full we are miserable. Another thing that didn't sit right with me....it felt like our whole trip revolved around food. Hey, as many other New Orleanians, I'm afraid we do live to eat instead of eating to live. We enjoy good food, and on our visits to WDW, food is an important element. I just don't want it being the main element. Which is how I felt on this last trip. I wish you could pick how many of your days you wanted to purchase the DDP instead of being forced into puchasing it for every day of your stay. Since this isn't so, we'll be skipping the dining plan on our trip in December. We're staying 15 nights and that is just WAY too much food!:eek:

Shovan, you're one smart "yat"; you've determined what works for y'all and are sticking with it.

Man ALIVE, some solutions are just so easy to come by.

I'm getting a real whiff of "entitlement" from a lot of posters regarding the DDP, as if they're the only guests who ever have, or ever will, visit Disney.

We've used the DDP on every trip since its inception, but it never was our intent to ruin anyone else's life by doing so. I apologize for all my shortcomings.

Oh, yeah ... as a Southerner, I'm automatically a dirt-eating, toothless, inbred redneck. As I said somewhere else, I love Jiko and California Grill, but some days, nothing but Waffle House will do.

You got dat right!! We haven't used a plan since about '92. On that trip we had my brother along & he really got his use out of it! In fact, I think they rehauled the deal we had, solely due to my brother!!!:lmao: As you are so well aware, most southern boys really do like to eat, ya know!

Jiko is one of our favs! We are gonna hit Artist Point & Cali Grill on our next F&W trip, haven't tried those yet. But you know what, you can't get sweet tea at any of those!!!

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing.:rotfl:

I can't boil seafood or even cook a pot of redbeans without the Zatarain's!

We tried the DDP on our trip in May, but like you, we don't like to eat that much food. My husband and I usually will split our meals at WDW so we can experience great food without getting so full we are miserable. Another thing that didn't sit right with me....it felt like our whole trip revolved around food. Hey, as many other New Orleanians, I'm afraid we do live to eat instead of eating to live. We enjoy good food, and on our visits to WDW, food is an important element. I just don't want it being the main element. Which is how I felt on this last trip. I wish you could pick how many of your days you wanted to purchase the DDP instead of being forced into puchasing it for every day of your stay. Since this isn't so, we'll be skipping the dining plan on our trip in December. We're staying 15 nights and that is just WAY too much food!:eek:

Hey CC! If you're an AP holder, the DDE is a great deal! 20% of all food & beverages at almost every table service rest. Swan/Dolphin rests. are excluded. As I said it's been years since we've used any ddp type plan, back then it was actually coupons that you gave to the server. I think using it now would require a bit more planning than I care to do, keeping track of the credits, etc. Also we would use the TS service credits so quickly & would either force ourselves to use CS credits or just waste them. Food is a big part of our vacations, no matter where we go, WDW included.

I did not mean to sound "hostile" about the folks on the DDP and I am sorry if my post made it seem so! Holding or not holding up the line was not really my focus and it was more of an aside to the greater problems ie. no reservations available, no cancellation of reservations, rise in price of out of pocket meals. I am thrilled when I read a post where everyone has their ressies in place months ahead of time....I would just like a little consideration if I don't desire to plan so extensively for my own vacation. There should be room at the "table" for all of us!

I toyed with the idea of the Dining plan, but my family's idea of a good "sit down" dinner is a night out at Denny's. :rotfl:

Seriously, though...our culinary tastes are not sophisticated enough to make the dining plan worthwhile. Give me a cheeseburger or sub sandwhich, and I'm a happy camper. :)

Sorry Stinky but am going off topic for a minute as reading dreamfinders post reminded me of a t-shirt I seen the other night.....dreamfinder said "in the eye of the beholder" the t-shirt I seen said 'beauty is in the eye of the beer holder" sorry thought that was hilarious had to share. Also dreamfinder, I know the feeling about liking the newish boyfriend, only mine would be the girlfriend (not so newish).

"HEY HOW BOUT THAT DDP"!!!!!!!!:banana:

I have a semi-solution for you.....I too feel the same way about having to have it your whole trip why can't you just pick the amount of days you want after all it is "Magic YOUR my". Anyway we dont eat that much food and it is way more money than we would spend on food so I split my reservation. I am staying for 14 nights but am on the dining plan for 6 nights, still staying in the same resort (with the unlikely chance of being moved from my room). I know you have to do it 6 nights in a row but I REALLY wanted to try it!!!

Reagarding Zatarain's - love their stuff. We use a lot of their creole seasoning. And sometimes, in a pinch, I'll take their frozen entrees to work for lunch.

But at the risk of total heresy ... I prefer the Old Bay to Zatarain's Crab Boil. You don't have to like my choice there, but you do have to love me. :love:

With Jiko, CG, and Artist Point, you've got the trifecta of Disney Dining, for me. For anyone who is trying to manage their DDP credits, and you have an even number in your party, it's a good strategy to split the difference, with half of you using credits and the other half paying OOP. Based on sheer number crunching, it seems that you really have to work hard to make any 2 credit TS restaurant cost effective.

Or don't use the stupid plan at all, if that suits you. Poor ol' Disney folks ... here they are, trying to give us choices and please everyone, and look what happens. :rolleyes1

My annoying editorial thought: Those three restaurants I mentioned represent the best of Disney dining, and more than hold their own against those perceived "good old days" of service and quality. I guess we could debate that, but I'm going to ignore you. :rolleyes:

There's some real irony at work here ... so, because of the DDP, Disney is awash in yucky food ... and folks are complaining because they can't get ADRs so that they can partake of the yucky food...

Am I missing something fundamental here?

FINALLY!!!! Someone else who asks this question!! I don't get it either :confused3

Reagarding Zatarain's - love their stuff. We use a lot of their creole seasoning. And sometimes, in a pinch, I'll take their frozen entrees to work for lunch.

But at the risk of total heresy ... I prefer the Old Bay to Zatarain's Crab Boil. You don't have to like my choice there, but you do have to love me. :love:

With Jiko, CG, and Artist Point, you've got the trifecta of Disney Dining, for me. For anyone who is trying to manage their DDP credits, and you have an even number in your party, it's a good strategy to split the difference, with half of you using credits and the other half paying OOP. Based on sheer number crunching, it seems that you really have to work hard to make any 2 credit TS restaurant cost effective.

Or don't use the stupid plan at all, if that suits you. Poor ol' Disney folks ... here they are, trying to give us choices and please everyone, and look what happens. :rolleyes1

My annoying editorial thought: Those three restaurants I mentioned represent the best of Disney dining, and more than hold their own against those perceived "good old days" of service and quality. I guess we could debate that, but I'm going to ignore you. :rolleyes:

I agree on the number crunching in regards to 2 TS credit restaurants. DH & I have "put the pencil to the paper" on it several times & just couldn't see where it would work for us.

I'm happy to hear that your trifecta of restaurants is holding up to your fine dining standards!! ;) It is taking a lot of effort to not just head back to Jiko on our next trip. But we are determined to get to all of the WDW places that the majority seems to consider as the Best of the Best! V&A is also on the agenda, but we'll save that for a non F&W Fest trip!

Now, You do know this N'awlins girl is going to have to disagree with ya on the Old Bay vs Zatarains! :eek: That would be clearly be considered heresy over here, there might even be some law against it!

But heck, spread out some newspaper & I'll give it a try! With the coleslaw, cornbread & sweet tea on the side, it will certainly fill the void in my belly!:laughing:

We haven't done V&A's, simply because DW is so infernally picky (or, as she says, "I have discriminating tastes.") She simply doesn't like seafood in any form, and to her credit she's tried to develop a taste, since she's the lone holdout in our family. I'd hate for her to think we'd blown an evening and that admittedly high tariff on something she didn't enjoy. I've heard that you can get items pretty much catered to your tastes at the Chef's Table, but, well, we'll see. V&A's may end up being a daddy/daughter date for her 21st birthday or something, because she's pretty adventurous when it comes to trying things.

This is an area where the DDE card would serve our purposes much more than the DDP would. It sure is nice to have some choices.

That DDP can be manipulated ... for a party of four at CG, say, we'd use two of our 2TS credits, pay for two, and then we'd still have four 1TS credits left for another meal.

Here's a little info that Disney probably wouldn't want us to talk about too much ... the potential maximum cost per restaurant for an adult app, entree, dessert, and drink (and these are rounded and sorta approximated, but you get the idea):

1 credit

$69 - Wolfgang Puck Cafe
$63 - Spoodles
$61 - Le Cellier
$60 - Teppanyaki
$58 - Les Chefs de France
$58 - Coral Reef
$57 - Maya Grill
$56 - Mama Melrose
$54 - Nine Dragons
$54 - Concourse Steakhouse
$54 - Shutters
$53 - L'Originale Alfredo di Roma
$53 - Raglan Road
$52 - Cap'n Jacks
$52 - Kona Cafe
$51 - Big River Grille
$51 - Tony's Town Square
$50 - Restaurant Marrakesh

2 credits

$113 - Yachtsman Steakhouse
$107 - Narcoossee's
$84 - California Grill
$82 - Flying Fish

Of course, it doesn't matter what it costs if it's not somewhere you'd like to eat. But it sure does make Spoodles an attractive 1 credit TS spot for us.

Shovan, we lived in Metro Atlanta before heading for Mississippi ... if you ask for a Pepsi in that town, you'd be drawn and quartered. Fortunately, we're Cokeaholics ... same Old Bay vs. Zatarain's thing, I'm sure.

Perhaps you should read my entire quote...Rude doesn't get many questions answered.
I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to well known restaurants around the world. Some of my favorite have been hidden gems that are not on the world supermap of locations. I also have spent many week-ends at CIA (they have great weekend courses on many subjects...sauces, Asian etc). My last cooking adventure was in Italy almost a year ago for 10 days. Dining/cooking is a hobby as I think it is for many of us on this site.

Now taking courses at the CIA may make you are of cooking techniques, but it is does not make you or anyone else for that matter an expert on all types of fine dining. My father was the Executive Chef at the University Club of Hartford. He was a member of the CT Chefs Association and hosted their meetings many times. Executive Chefs from all over the state praised my father's cooking, his technique and his passion for food and fine dining. My Dad was a well respected member and one of the finest chefs in CT. He was invited to teach when the CIA opened, he was that good.

Now those are his credentials. He NEVER disparaged regional cuisine, he embraced it. He was always strengthening his base of knowledge because he knew that every culture has a core of cooking technique that enriches those who experience it. He used as much as he could to enhance the dishes that he created. I'm sorry that you look down upon regional cooking because you are afraid that it will not make your palate dance. You are missing out on a wealth of knowledge by confining yourself to what you perceive to be fine dining. That type of insular behavior does not distinguish you are a connoisseur of fine food, it diminishes your credibility.

I wonder if you would have looked down on him and the food that he served to family and friends if you were fortunate enough to meat him today. You see, he was not classically trained, his art was a gift and an intrinsic ability to take a humble piece of protein, such as catfish, and turn it into a culinary masterpiece. He used everything and it flew out of his kitchen. His clientèle were people who had their own personal chefs at home, but they knew that when Chef Joe was cooking. it was going to be a treat. He was a wizard in his kitchen because he knew the value of studying regional cuisine and then serving it.

I don't think that he would be whining that the quality of food had declined because of the DDP and the ignorant people who use it and did not know good food from a can of tuna fish, he would be enjoying the chefs ability to work within the parameter that was set. He would have no problem shaking the hand of the chef at CG , or Boma or V&A or 50's PTC. He would know what to expect prior to entering and would appreciate that venue for what it was.

Now taking courses at the CIA may make you are of cooking techniques, but it is does not make you or anyone else for that matter an expert on all types of fine dining. My father was the Executive Chef at the University Club of Hartford. He was a member of the CT Chefs Association and hosted their meetings many times. Executive Chefs from all over the state praised my father's cooking, his technique and his passion for food and fine dining. My Dad was a well respected member and one of the finest chefs in CT. He was invited to teach when the CIA opened, he was that good.

Now those are his credentials. He NEVER disparaged regional cuisine, he embraced it. He was always strengthening his base of knowledge because he knew that every culture has a core of cooking technique that enriches those who experience it. He used as much as he could to enhance the dishes that he created. I'm sorry that you look down upon regional cooking because you are afraid that it will not make your palate dance. You are missing out on a wealth of knowledge by confining yourself to what you perceive to be fine dining. That type of insular behavior does not distinguish you are a connoisseur of fine food, it diminishes your credibility.

I wonder if you would have looked down on him and the food that he served to family and friends if you were fortunate enough to meat him today. You see, he was not classically trained, his art was a gift and an intrinsic ability to take a humble piece of protein, such as catfish, and turn it into a culinary masterpiece. He used everything and it flew out of his kitchen. His clientèle were people who had their own personal chefs at home, but they knew that when Chef Joe was cooking. it was going to be a treat. He was a wizard in his kitchen because he knew the value of studying regional cuisine and then serving it.

I don't think that he would be whining that the quality of food had declined because of the DDP and the ignorant people who use it and did not know good food from a can of tuna fish, he would be enjoying the chefs ability to work within the parameter that was set. He would have no problem shaking the hand of the chef at CG , or Boma or V&A or 50's PTC. He would know what to expect prior to entering and would appreciate that venue for what it was.

:thumbsup2

Very well thought out post!

WOW NancyG, that was a wonderful and eloquent response. It is impressive. Thank you for sharing your Dad's perspective and philosophy on regional cuisine. I'm sure your he would be so proud of this.

Nancy I hope you know that you now will have a bunch of dissers wanting to crash dinner the next time your Dad cooks for the family ;)

Thank you. My Dad loved good food, his specialty was sauces. He would work with food all evening long and then he would come home and have an egg sandwich. He was a quiet man but bring up anything to do with cooking and he was off to the races. He got people to share how they made their meals and how they prepared certain cuts of meat and used their experience. In all honesty, we liked my Mom's cooking way better for a long time. It took a while for us to appreciate his craft, but he was the wise man. My Mom was Canadian French, and while he taught her some, he confiscated some of her techniques :rotfl:.

Only a insecure personality would refuse to appreciate the roots of fine dishes around this great nation. It is never necessary to like everything, but to refuse to consider the merit of something because of a preconceived notion is not only insulting and offensive, it is beyond ignorant. One only needs to research French and Mediterranean cooking to discover that several of their signature dishes were humble stews created to use up leftovers and seafood that did not sell at the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter