Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line (IMHO) is that the "chefs" are no LONGER allowed to show their ability due to dining plan restrictions. If I was able to meet not "meat" your father (as you stated) I'm sure we would have had a very delicious conversation. It is just lovely that you have such fine thoughts of your Dad...where that fits with the DDP discussion I'm not sure.
We could agree and/or disagee on any dining.....you have your point and I have mine and to be frank this entire thread has gone in a complete circle.

It is really sad to see someone bring up a spelling error when someone else is detailing memories of a late parent. That is really crossing the line.

Maybe you has excellent taste in dining, I don't know, but I can assure you have very poor manners and seeing that you have the audacity to state others are being rude only assures what kind of a person I think you are.

You have insulted pretty much everyone who does not agree with you. What a shame. :sad2:

I hope you find happier times soon as I can only guess by your postings you are probably a pretty lonely and miserable person. I sincerely hope things get better for you. :sad2:

Why even bother to respond to Neverenough WDW. She consistently insults and degrades anyone who doesn't agree with her. Check out the threads where she disrespected anyone who stays in the values. She has more than once stated that they are basically trash and ruin Disney. Check out her other posts on the how many times she has bragged about staying concierge level and she doesn't have to find her own tables. Check out how many times she brags about staying at Disney and how many $400 dinners she and her husband eat. For heavens sakes, she has posted almost 3000 posts since January, many of which were clearly to brag about how much she has and how much disdain she has for the rest of the lower classes. Sad really!

Funny thing ... back when Port Orleans was Port Orleans and Dixie Landings (I've never understood if combining the two was a PC move or what ... it'll always be Dixie Landings to me), Port Orleans had a TS restaurant called Bonfamille's. They actually had some cajun-y items on the menu, perhaps jambalya or gumbo or "safe" things like that, as I recall.

Merely adequate.

Tell ya something else, tho ... when Emeril's Orlando is on its game, you can have some fine Creole-inspired groceries.

We have had some excellent Jambalaya and Gumbo at the HOB, we make sure to eat there every trip....living in NY, close to Manhattan, we have even made the 3 hour drive to go the the HOB in Atlantic City, so my question for you Dreamfinder2...have you ever had these items at HOB and if so how did they measure up?

I've eaten at the HOB in DD, and at the "mother ship" in New Orleans. Given that both spots are faced with the daunting job of feeding the masses, and given that they are "themed" restaurants, and that can be a bit iffy ... I'll give HOB an unqualified thumb's up. Their gumbo is VERY rich, and has enough seafood to know you're actually eating gumbo. I think perhaps there was turkey in their gumbo, too ... the nature of gumbo is such that you throw in whatever you have on hand.

I think HOB management - besides needing to make a generous profit - has a respect for themselves and what they're doing. Kudos to them. There is better cajun and creole available regionally, of course, but I think they've pulled off a difficult job with grace and taste. I've had their catfish topped with shrimp creole in New Orleans, and found it really tasty. I haven't tried their jambalya, though - I make a pretty mean jambalya myself (all false modesty aside.)

It may all be peasant food, appealing to the unwashed masses, but I'll eat it happily.

Camping Cat, regarding using DDP, DDE, etc.

It looks like y'all are in the same place as we are. We are DVC members, and bought a little camper last Thanksgiving primarily for "local," weekend trips, just for a change of venue. Our last few trips to WDW we've taken guests, often first-timers, and have correspondingly eaten out every meal and taken the commando approach to touring. It's our attempt to give them that "once in a lifetime" experience, and the DDP serves us well in that context.

But we've got those great kitchen facilities with DVC, and decent enough facilities in the camper. So the next trip when it's just family, we'll probably abandon the DDP and eat in our villa/camper more. It'll make our other park or resort experiences a little more special. That DDE card is a good deal, once you get past breaking even. (We didn't renew this year, because we're going to Hilton Head on points this Thanksgiving, and doing "everything but Disney" next spring - Universal, Sea World, etc., while staying on Disney property. I know, shame on us.)

Good luck with your planning! Again, I just appreciate so much having choices.

My Dad would not walk into another kitchen and disparage the chef. He was the first to stand and give kudos to another chef and home cook as well. I'm sure that you gravitated to your mentor because he, like you respected differences in style, preferences and budgetary considerations.

Great chefs will give respect to anyone who is willing to spend time in the kitchen (professional or home). One thing that bothers me, and always will, is when people come to me and expect me to comment on the food at church dinners. For some reason they feel like they have to live up to some high standard just because I am an Executive Chef. I stress to all of them one simple fact: I can be just as happy with a great bowl of pinto beans and fried taters as I am with Chateaubriand and Pommes Dauphinoise. Respect should be meted out to people no matter their level of kitchen skills and wisdom should be used by realizing all foods have value in the culinary world even if we do not personally enjoy it. Heck, I would have a hard time eating grubs, but many cultures find them to be a delicacy (mmmmmm delicious).

:thumbsup2

Thank you for sharing your story. My father has been gone a long time. There have been some demonstrations of ignorance in this discussion, but those remarks have given me the opportunity to share my Dad's philosophy with other people and to discover while his training was not at the great culinary schools, his philosophy and regard for food and it preparation was on the same level as the masters. I thank you all for that.

No we thank you, Nancy. Grace outweighs rudeness on any thread.

Why even bother to respond to Neverenough WDW. She consistently insults and degrades anyone who doesn't agree with her. Check out the threads where she disrespected anyone who stays in the values. She has more than once stated that they are basically trash and ruin Disney. Check out her other posts on the how many times she has bragged about staying concierge level and she doesn't have to find her own tables. Check out how many times she brags about staying at Disney and how many $400 dinners she and her husband eat. For heavens sakes, she has posted almost 3000 posts since January, many of which were clearly to brag about how much she has and how much disdain she has for the rest of the lower classes. Sad really!

You'd think I'd know how to do this, but I've never had the desire to, until now. The search function shows no matches.:confused3

You'd think I'd know how to do this, but I've never had the desire to, until now. The search function shows no matches.:confused3

Everytime I search for threads that someone has posted in, it doesn't work. I am only able to see threads that they started...kinda sad...it would be nice if it was working

If you have the time and/or energy to read my posts Tess'smom why would I not answer threads that I can share some of our experiences? Is that not the point of being here? If you read things entirely & in context you wouldn't have stated the above. Boasting about trips no, sharing the experiences of my family & friends 100% yes. You twisting my words is not appreciated.
As for the 3,000 posts many are games and that is something I have no issue with my kids playing....girls names, ABC's of Disney, etc. In the cyber world IMO opinion this is generally a nice site and if my kids want to
play answer games on here so be it.
As for the lowwer class or what you believe I perceive to be the lowwer class, you would be amazed at the business I own and what I do with my spare time. Perhaps you are rude as well for thinking you know my type and having a picture in your head of my family and our values. Written words on a computer portray very little about someone.....well after that there is a piece of chocolate with my name on it.

There is a difference between not liking the cuisine served and treating the chef with disrespect because that cuisine does not meet your approval.

I think the truly sad part of the DDP is that, and this is from the mouths of the various chefs & restaurant managers we've spoken to, it limits the quality and the diversity of the foods to which these various chefs have access.

I can appreciate a dive that serves amazing oysters like Lee & Rick's Oyster Bar in Orlando, just as I can appreciate a world class dining experience like Victoria & Albert's or Per Se in New York. What I cannot appreciate is watching a big corporation tie its chefs' hands behind their backs and then expect them to still produce a quality experience. It's degrading to the chef, and it's degrading to me as a diner. Which is why there are now very, very few WDW restaurants at which I eat.

Cheers!
Heather W

I thought I'd mention that for anyone who is staying at a disney villa (ie saratoga springs, etc) w/a frig and stove, a low cost alternative is to have groceries delivered to your room. we have 2 kids(9 + 2 ) and didn't want to deal w/long sitdown dinners every night. we went online to gardengrocer.com and preordered the food and set a delivery date when we booked our room. they arrived early when I called and requested an earlier delivery and were very reasonably priced. we had 2 pasta type dinners and lunches in our room which let us take a break as well. when we did eat at the park, it was at our convenience and choosing and quite often at a quick service place so our food bill was not terribly expensive. our splurge was at the akerhaus? in Epcot - Norway for the princess breakfast and it was fantastic! well worth the money!

As for the lowwer class or what you believe I perceive to be the lowwer class, you would be amazed at the business I own and what I do with my spare time.

Enlighten us.......show us that the words you write do not accurately portray the person whom they seem represent. You seem to imply your business practices and spare time exploits would impact how we see you as a person; I'm all ears! :listen:

Perhaps you are rude as well for thinking you know my type and having a picture in your head of my family and our values. Written words on a computer portray very little about someone.....well after that there is a piece of chocolate with my name on it.

Personality and attitudes are often portrayed through ones writings. On a discussion board I always make my notions and intentions clear when I post. If my thoughts are ever misunderstood or not as well worded as I had hoped, I try to clearify for better understanding. Sometimes I owe apologies for my words and I give them when it is appropriate. If I show someone respect when they are on different sides of a discussion they will return the respect. Rudeness will also be returned in like fashion by the average poster. We get back what we give to others. Anyone is welcome to look back over my posts in this thread (and any other where I have posted) and see that I always do two things in most of my discussions: 1.) I produce well thought out posts and extend respect to everyone who shows the same ; 2.) I will always come to the defense of someone who is being picked on or disrespected by another person on any thread! My impression of you on this thread may be wrong........but it is based on the image you have built for yourself; the words you have posted are the bricks and the tone in those words are the mortar. Help us to truly understand you if we are wrong. Teach us to appreciate you!

Enlighten us.......show us that the words you write do not accurately portray the person whom they seem represent. You seem to imply your business practices and spare time exploits would impact how we see you as a person; I'm all ears! :listen:

Personality and attitudes are often portrayed through ones writings. On a discussion board I always make my notions and intentions clear when I post. If my thoughts are ever misunderstood or not as well worded as I had hoped, I try to clearify for better understanding. Sometimes I owe apologies for my words and I give them when it is appropriate. If I show someone respect when they are on different sides of a discussion they will return the respect. Rudeness will also be returned in like fashion by the average poster. We get back what we give to others. Anyone is welcome to look back over my posts in this thread (and any other where I have posted) and see that I always do two things in most of my discussions: 1.) I produce well thought out posts and extend respect to everyone who shows the same ; 2.) I will always come to the defense of someone who is being picked on or disrespected by another person on any thread! My impression of you on this thread may be wrong........but it is based on the image you have built for yourself; the words you have posted are the bricks and the tone in those words are the mortar. Help us to truly understand you if we are wrong. Teach us to appreciate you!

I will bite at this because you have a very passive aggresive trait...if I don't answer you will responsed that "we are waiting" and if I do answer I open myself to more flames. I will preface this by stating I am very blessed in my life so for all the flames that I must be a miserable person you are incorrect.
I am a M.S.W and work at a shelter for abused woman & their children, these women are at such high risk that they are not even allowed to give family their address....they come to us when they have been beaten hard enough they end up in the E.R. or the restraining orders haven't worked and they must flee....most of the time they also come with very frightened tear stained children. When they say to me you are an angel they have it wrong they have been the angels and inspiration in my life and sometimes they are so touched that people care I actually come home with a smile headache after seeing the changes that their lives are beginning to take.

My spare time is working at V.A. hospitals because my husband was an army brat and also served in the military. Right now our project is planting veggies in inner city community gardens. June 23rd I will be at a children's camp for a week for kids that are latch key & have never been in the "country".
My vices are clearly good food, Disney & travel as much as possible, enjoying a great bottle of wine and yes they come in the $10.00 category +. Maybe my passion is so strong about Disney and the changes because it was a place I used as a refuge when I disabled with severe illness as a child. WDW was a place where I was like all the other kids....they didn't know how sick I was or how many bottles of medicine were in my room. I think the food is part of the passion and the reason I would be willing to pay whatever the price for a dish to recall those sweet days..........Thinking of the Empress Room is still bittersweet but I would really love my family to experience that room.

It is nice that you do such good work. It should make you appreciate the DDP and that it helps give people who might not otherwise be able to afford to the oppotunity to try many diferent places.

I will bite at this because you have a very passive aggresive trait...if I don't answer you will responsed that "we are waiting" and if I do answer I open myself to more flames. I will preface this by stating I am very blessed in my life so for all the flames that I must be a miserable person you are incorrect.
I am a M.S.W and work at a shelter for abused woman & their children, these women are at such high risk that they are not even allowed to give family their address....they come to us when they have been beaten hard enough they end up in the E.R. or the restraining orders haven't worked and they must flee....most of the time they also come with very frightened tear stained children. When they say to me you are an angel they have it wrong they have been the angels and inspiration in my life and sometimes they are so touched that people care I actually come home with a smile headache after seeing the changes that their lives are beginning to take.

My spare time is working at V.A. hospitals because my husband was an army brat and also served in the military. Right now our project is planting veggies in inner city community gardens. June 23rd I will be at a children's camp for a week for kids that are latch key & have never been in the "country".
My vices are clearly good food, Disney & travel as much as possible, enjoying a great bottle of wine and yes they come in the $10.00 category +. Maybe my passion is so strong about Disney and the changes because it was a place I used as a refuge when I disabled with severe illness as a child. WDW was a place where I was like all the other kids....they didn't know how sick I was or how many bottles of medicine were in my room. I think the food is part of the passion and the reason I would be willing to pay whatever the price for a dish to recall those sweet days..........Thinking of the Empress Room is still bittersweet but I would really love my family to experience that room.

I know this is completely off topic, but thank you for the response.....you seem to have a great deal of compassion when it comes to women and children. I seem to have a little in common with you in that respect; I am leaving tomorrow to begin a stint running a kitchen to feed 250 kids a week for three weeks at a church camp. I have spent the last two weeks working on menus & budget ($14/child for the whole week) and cleaning the kitchen at the camp (was left in shambles after last year's camp ended). I do it for the kids...if I can have a positive impact on just one it will be worth it.

As for the VA hospital work, I thank you.....my Dad is a 20 year Navy man and he depends on the VA for a lot of his medical care. The system needs more people who can help those who fought for this country!

I do have to ask one thing about your reply though......why did it have to start with a slight towards my character? Not being passive aggressive, just can't figure out why I deserved that.

It is nice that you do such good work. It should make you appreciate the DDP and that it helps give people who might not otherwise be able to afford to the oppotunity to try many diferent places.

Good point photo_chick! I won't correct your spelling right now......:lmao: :hug:

You might want to check out a thread entitled DDP Causing Some Issues 2-11-2007, 4:05 p.m by NEVERENOUGHDISNEY. It's quite interesting.

There are certainly a few people who "hate" the DDP and almost by proxy "hate" the users of it...You can typically see a pattern with these people. It usually starts out stirring the pot a little bit and ends up calling anyone who uses the DDP "unsophisticated hillbillies".

I have been an operations manager now for many years and have interviewed a lot of people. Most managers who have interviewed enough people tend to hear the same stuff over and over again..people telling you what they think you want to hear. That is human nature.

Great interviewers ask a lot of open-ended and follow-up questions to try to get to the "real" person underneath. They also try to make the person getting interviewed feel as comfortable as possible, like they were talking to a friend, not a potential employer. You would be surprised at what comes out of people's mouthes when you dig that deep.

I am not saying that there is any "alterior" motive with all of the people who dislike the DDP, but there is certainly the few that obviously have another agenda.

I know this is completely off topic, but thank you for the response.....you seem to have a great deal of compassion when it comes to women and children. I seem to have a little in common with you in that respect; I am leaving tomorrow to begin a stint running a kitchen to feed 250 kids a week for three weeks at a church camp. I have spent the last two weeks working on menus & budget ($14/child for the whole week) and cleaning the kitchen at the camp (was left in shambles after last year's camp ended). I do it for the kids...if I can have a positive impact on just one it will be worth it.

As for the VA hospital work, I thank you.....my Dad is a 20 year Navy man and he depends on the VA for a lot of his medical care. The system needs more people who can help those who fought for this country!

I do have to ask one thing about your reply though......why did it have to start with a slight towards my character? Not being passive aggressive, just can't figure out why I deserved that.

Have you ever tried to receive grant money for your camp? I was out of work for a very long time (for surgeries) so I am not 100% up on all grants that are being offered but Merrill Lynch only grants money for woman's financial education and children's programs. It is not an option this year but it might be worth a shot for next year. The woman who did this job prior to me also said that the Dr. Phil Foundation & the Faith Hill Foundation are almost entirely funding kid's programs but you need to get applications in very soon for next summer.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter