Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Ok Cadaverous Pallor, I got plenty of pix for you. The rest of you probably won't be interested in this so take a powder, grab a cold one, or watch something on the DVR while I take care of this.

First, CP, there is probably not as much cover as I initially thought. But there is still plenty - let's do this. As you stand in the street looking at the site, I'm going to roll some pix starting down the right hand side, around the back, then up the left side where the cabin is.

Starting on this side:

Let's start down the side beginning at the road and walking down the sidewalk:

Now let's start on the back corner against the sidewalk and go across to the cabin back corner.

Moving to the inside of the site to show the buffer next to the cabin.

Standing on the golf cart path down to the marina cart parking, it's a partially blocked view.

Here is the amount of space behind the site to the nearest public waypoint which is the new walking path next to the golf cart path.

Hope these answer your questions. It's a great site that has been growing on me.

Bama Ed

PS - one nice thing about this end of loop 100 (if I haven't already said this) is that the Men's and Women's restrooms down at the Settlement Trading Post are closer than the 100/200 Comfort Station - especially if I walk right off the back of the site between the trees and palmetto bushes.

Last edited:
Ed - Thanks for all the pics. Enjoyed the boat ride photos and all the views from your site. So much detail, I can almost smell that clean Fort air. We are planning more down time than park time. I think we will take some time to seek out the ED at FW. Feel free to send me a riddle or clue ;)

Amcc - great share on the canoe trip. We really enjoyed that our last trip. I think for the $13 for the hour and half rental is about as good of a deal your going to get a the big D. In fact, canoe rental here in the Great Midwest is $15 an hour. I took my Girl Scout troop early this spring and was sticker shocked! Love to have a cast member hum some tunes. So sorry about your accident. Hubby and DD did the same exact thing this summer. He had just got a new bike (second time out) when he crashed into DD. She got a little bruised up, and his bike rim got crushed.

Kris - rockstars look happy! Nice to hear you all are getting around to visit. Sure going to miss crossing paths. I believe two years ago, we just missed by a day.

Denise - nice fish Frank caught. How long will you both be there?

I am late at posting this, but we made it in on Tuesday. We drove from outside of Milwaukee to the Fort straight through, with a 2 hour stop at a rest area during a rain storm. That nap saw us the rest of the way through!! We stopped in Ocala and grocery shopped and got ice. We arrived to the Fort around 2ish. We had a preferred site and were given site 316. Nothing available in the 100/200 loops, we asked because we didn't bring our dog so no need for a pet site. Anyhow, it backs up to a comfort station so that's pretty convenient. Not to mention the trash/recycle bins are at the end of our site. That's REALLY convenient (we have an almost 2 year old in diapers!).

The first night we were here we had to make a trip to the Celebration hospital. Long story but it involves a toddler, a toothpick, and an impaled shin! She's fine! But if you ever need care, they are great!

The second day we went to the magic kingdom to get our annual passes validated, went through the gates and paid for an overpriced hotdog at Caseys. Then we headed to the expo (which was a ZOO) and met up with our old neighbors from Virginia. Went to Disney Sorings for dinner to Blaze (love their pizza!)

Yesterday, I started the day with a run, which was wonderful to run outside in the peace and quiet (I'm not a snow runner). Then we headed over to the Magic Kingdom and met up with our friends. It was a complete madhouse there. Had a dole whip to make things better :) We rode a couple of things but mainly just tried to survive the chaos. We called it a day around 5pm and headed "home". It was cool enough last night to break out the fire pit, so we out her to bed at 7:30 and sat outside by the fire drinking a well deserved beer.

Today, my little girl is running the 100m dash over at the sports center. Then, we are going to skip WDW and head to Univerdal Studios with our friends. We have annual passes there too, so if it's crowded there too nothing really lost. Fingers crossed!

Hope everybody has a great day!

It was another lovely morning here at Fort Wilderness.

A few wispy clouds at 8am when I rolled out. Lows in the 50s so you could see your breath lightly for a while but once the sun got up high enough over the tree line, it warmed up quickly.

The Trails End area background music has converted back to the usual loop (no more Christmas tunes as they were playing when we checked in).

The sky is a brilliant clear blue here as I get ready for the DIS Meet. Here is the view overhead from my picnic table.

Bama Ed

bama_ed,

Being an OCD planner, I can't thank you enough for those pics... super helpful! Thanks for taking the time to do that, I'm going to bookmark this page!

I know some of you are here for the races tomorrow, so I thought I would share that I just read that all Saturday races have been cancelled due to weather. Disney will be compensating the runners with a few options.

Looks some some nasty weather heading to central FL (moving from the West )Stay safe. Hopefully most of the bad stuff will stay north.
image.jpg

Stay dry everyone. The radar still looks bad, but the worst of it appears to be sliding just north of the Fort.

j

Thanks Terri. I was just coming to post my disappointment, have been reading the run Disney forum. It feels silly sitting in my RV to say, "I sure hope there really is bad weather and it was worth canceling". I know better to be safe than sorry.

All you fort people, more than likely I will be running 12 miles after the rain at the fort. If you see me feel free to offer me some Powerade :)

For those that aren't reading the other thread, I still have a full marathon feb 5, so I have to do my miles regardless.

Well we enjoyed sleeping again today and then I headed out for a restocking run to Winn Dixie. That should take us through the end of our trip. Then we took off for the Meet & Greet which was great (it has its own thread so I won't rehash here).

After that wonderful lunch, we rested at our site then I went over to Wide World of Sports to pick up my bib number. The highlight was meeting the creator of the run-walk half/whole marathon method, Jeff Galloway, and getting my picture made with him.

For supper tonight we microwave heated the burgers I had grilled last night with the steaks and got some takeout french fries from the TE takeout which were delicious - hot, crisp, and salty. However the service was EXTREMELY slow and while waiting we witnessed the frozen pizza disks being put into the oven. I'm assuming the take out pizza is the same as the buffet pizza but really?

Before heading to the campfire/sing-along, we buttoned up the hatches so to speak at our campsite for the impending rain. The heavy part seems to be passing north of us at the moment but we should still get some. Plus the Half as been cancelled for tomorrow morning due to the possibility of lightning.

But I did guy line the EZ ups and install the side panels:

Later tonight we did install the three clear side panels I have on the sides shown open above and rolled the golf cart into the far end. Hope it works.

I also have been using my RV glow plug I made in the evenings to light up the camper running lights at the site. It's a nice look.

The green Mickey globe lamp is working fine.

After that was the campfire singalong. We didn't stay for the movie. Cowboy Anthony did a fine job and the crowd was medium sized although I did see two other "young at heart" DISsers there roasting marshmallows.

It's gonna still be warm tonight in the 60s I believe. Let's see what tomorrow really delivers.

Bama Ed

Sorry about the run Ed & Kris.

Keep on trucking along for the next one.

Isn't Barb & Bill suppose to be down there by now? Anyone seen them?

We are here having the time of our lives, again. We are side by side with our daughter, husband and kids. Linking has worked very well for us. Yesterday was a planned MK day, and our daughter surprised us with purchasing a Cabana. Although the price is high, she received a GC from her work, which paid for it, so she decided, why not. It was great for leisure, resting, getting away from crowds, all the fruit and refreshment provided and replenished, with several unexpect d surprises and fp tickets. Bill would rest while we went through the parks. They would get your lunch for you, wherever you wanted within the park. It also provided beautiful uncrowded seating for the fireworks, as well as seating for the parade. 8:00 - 11:00 was a long day for us! A splurge, that was a gift. We are in site 1327, and I think this is our favorite site yet. We have seen Denise and Frank, as well as Kris and Bert. This week will be at a more leisurely pace. Watching the Packer game outside is in tomorrow's menu. Melissa, we have not yet extended our trip yet, but may. Have to check with the boys at the farm! Sort of!!!!! We have driven by Bama Ed's site a couple times, but he is MIA. Have not seen TRS, but would love to meet this "famous" person. I will post some pictures in the next few days. Safe travels for your trip. I am excited for your adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter