Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

What a beautiful day Monday has started out to be.

Got up this morning and returned the Kenny Kart off-property. No issues there.

Next was a relaxing hour or so of finishing the puzzle we've been working on. I say "we" because DS joined in with DD to keep it going while I was busy in the race yesterday. It looks good, no?

After that I sauntered over to Trails End and asked about a recipe. See Samroc's thread.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/bread-pudding-recipe-from-trails-end.3569968/#post-56945260

Then DS and I walked down the Exercise Trail toward Wilderness Lodge. I love the view of the trail just past the service road that comes down from loop 2000 and Creekside Meadow.

My destination was the two small rail cars at the construction entrance on the Fort end of the new WL DVC cabins. They are just off the road next to the bus road between the Fort and WL at the construction entrance. Let's set the stage.

The gate guard gave me what she was told was the story behind them. Back when the Fort was originally built, it had only 6 loops. This area, down the way from the Fort, was used as the "primitive camping" area. A road led down here and these two small rail cars served as the entrance to it. They aren't far from the shoreline so it makes sense that the area was themed/related to the Fort with the 2 rail cars and camping on the shore of Bay Lake with a campfire and the fishing possilbilities probably was a pretty neat experience with the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary off in the distance.

The cars have standard gauge 36 inch wheels (measured them with a tape measure) so they could not have ever been a part of the FWRR since it ran on 30 inch gauge wheels. A rusted patch on the side shows where an old logo was and it is the shape of the old Union Pacific shield but that's just a guess.

Time now to take care of things before we leave tomorrow morning.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Today was sleep in, then
102_0412.JPG 102_0414.JPG

Note that the Christmas tree was still up. We then went to World of Disney. They have some nice t=shirts,
102_0415.JPG 102_0416.JPG 102_0417.JPG 102_0418.JPG 102_0419.JPG 102_0421.JPG
Then it was off to the outlet mall. Actually didn't buy too much today. Tiggerdad would be proud! We came back and looped over to Ed's to say goodbye, no one home. So we sat outside for a bit. Then we got a Giddyap and Go from TE. The total was $24.92, we have $.08 left on that gift card. :)

Thank all of you for allowing us to feel as though we were at the Fort. Safe travels & hope to lots of you in May! Glo (Friendofeeyore)

Today was our day at Animal Kingdom. Crowds were not too bad. Arrived at 9:00, walked on Safari, Expedition Everest, walked the Exploration Trail, watched as grandkids handled snake, listened to very informative speakers, watched a live surgery of a Tiger, (endoscopy), saw the shows Lion King, and Finding Nemo, and ended up on Dinosaur. Not my favorite, but we had three grandkids who loved it! We then had an early dinner at Yak and Yeti. It was very good. Walked back on EE, and ended our day on a 5:55 Safari ride. Amazing the animals that come out to feeds and the Lions are just waking up for the day. Sunset tonight was gorgeous. Pink/orange. No flash photography on sunset/night safari ride. Three lions posed for us just like the Lion King. As we were beginning our walk out of the park, found a good spot to watch the Tree of Life awakening. The laser show is wonderful, and a nice addition to AK. Tired weary feet brought us back to the Fort around 8:30. Today is an early breakfast at Chip and Dale at Epcot, and Grammy finally gets to ride Soarin on this trip. Yeah. The noticeable difference in the crowds from last week to this week is noticeable. Note to self.

Yeah Denise, we left out of here about 1230pm to head down to Tampa. I joked on here a year ago or so that the College Football National Championship 2017 would be played in Tampa just down the road from the Fort the day after the Marathon and wouldn't it be cool if Bama were in that game?

Bama was in that game.

We were at that game.

We left early to pick up the tickets and get in our parking spot. It did feel like the Super Bowl.

Of course the game was a rematch of last year's same game in Arizona. Clemson was the matchup I feared the most (over Ohio State).

The great throwing quarterback who can run is the type that give Bama's defense a run for its money. Deshaun Watson is that kind of QB.

And the kickoff.

Bama lost 35-31 with Clemson scoring the winning TD with 1 second to play in the game. I will say that if I have to lose a "nattie" (national championship) to anybody, I don't mind it being Clemson who is coached by a former Alabama player, Dabo Sweeney (now one of the very few men to win a national title both as a player on Bama's 1992 team and as a head coach now at Clemson).

Got back to the Fort at 215am and now packing up and going home. I will be out of pocket for a day or two while I drive, unload, and catch up at home. I loved meeting all the fellow DISsers I did get to meet and I hope ya'll keep the friendly attitude going here whenever you can.

Great trip over all.

Bama Ed

Ed,

Sorry about the Tide, but it looks like a great way to wrap up a trip.

Thanks for posting and letting us follow along. It certainly helps get through the long winter months.

Frank and Denise,

That last one looks like a keeper!

j

Good morning to all Friends of the Fort ! ....
Just wanted to pop in and say what a good time we've had at the Fort.
For me the highlight was getting to meet a few Friends of the Fort that I've known for years but finally got to meet on this Fort trip. We had a greet and eat gathering, it was very good.
Had a good site, very pleased with. Caught a couple dozen swimmers, always pleased with fishing.
Did a lot of looping. Ate out a couple times . Had a little cold weather "time out" while here,, I think I'm going to bill Disney for the cold days. Saw a lot of wildlife. Got to see Christmas décor before it was all gone.
Want to give a special thanks for the gift we received from a Fort friend, it was really very cool of you and I'm going to put it in a prominent spot among my Disney collection.(you know who you are).

And I want to thank my wonderful wife for our vacation and all she does to make our life possible.
She really does have to put up with a lot, (me).

I wish everybody a very happy 2017!

OMG. That is NOT POSSIBLE. It is HUGE!

I don't know how Frank does it. I imagine that he went to the pond between the Meadow Trading Post and the Bike Barn, got down on his hands and knees, and leaned his face down close to the water (no alligator jokes).

Just like Babe The Pig in the movie, "Babe" (who learns the magic password phrase to be able to talk to the sheep), Frank probably whispers into the water and commands the big catfish to jump up on the bank for him. They both pose for their triumphant picture and then Frank slips the big cat back into the shallows and probably says in a low voice, "see you next year same place same time", as the cat swims off with a strong kick of his tail.

I am in awe. :worship: Frank/Born 2 Fish is the Fish Whisperer!

Bama ED

• We went to say goodbye to Frank and Denise late this afternoon. They told us about their huge catches today. Although our time was too short, I know they are wonderful people with so much kindness and respect. GodSpeed you both, as you travel back to your beautiful state of Tennessee. We are also heading home on Friday, depending on nasty weather. But have just booked for two weeks next Christmas, and very few parks, and more r & r for us. We had a great memory making trip with our daughter , son in law, and their three precious kids. Someday when I am gone, I hope they remember that their "grandma at the farm" was adventurous, silly, goofy, with just a bit of magic thrown in. Sharing with your family where you started your married life and how it continues to make with a little love and kindness, all will be better. - the wonders of Disney pixie dust. Expecially during this challenging election, we have learned to use our phrase, even though we all don't think alike, we can all love alike. Have a magical spring, summer, and fall everyone. We hope that is bestowed upon us. Blessings.

All good things must come to an end. :( Sad to leave but happy to be going home to family and friends. The forecast here is low 80's for a while, the next flow of people in are gonna have great weather. :sunny: We are gonna pack up and then "on the road again".

We spent the last few days working. It's been a lot busier this week then last.

Tuesday we decided to see the new Star Wars fireworks at DHS. First I have to mention we saw the first one symphony in the sky and loved it. It was before all the projection shows. I heard such great things about the new show and I loved the other one so was excited. Well, I was disappointed. I guess am not a huge fan of projection shows. Plus DHS is not a great place to watch fireworks from.

Yesterday we spent some time outside then my in laws came for dinner. We went to Capa at the 4 seasons. It was wonderful and we caught all 3 fireworks shows from the balcony.

Mallory update. I sent pics of her wound to the vet. I have to go to publix today to pick up a script for her.

IMG_2313.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG

Sorry to hear about Mallory's wound, but I am glad that she and Yeti have you trained well. :D
WATCH IT PAUL It just so happens I resemble that remark. WookieBear flips her head and I come and hug her, Katie lays on the floor and cries and I pay attention to her, Sky starts to play paw and I let her outside, Chubbs jumps ont the arm of my chair and scratch her fat derriere Is is just me or is anyone else seeing a pattern here

Denise and Frank,

I hope you had a safe trip home today. It was a pleasure to finally meet you both and thanks again for hosting Friday's lunch. I hope to run across you again and I might try to talk Frank into helping to improve my fishing skills. Denise, you make a great sheriff in this here town.

Ed

Denise and Frank, it wAs nice to see you again Wednesday afternoon. We hope your trip home is safe and quick. We are leaving tomorrow, however, this middle of the country ice storm is kind of blocking our way to Wisconsin. What to do. Another weekend at Disney? We will make decisions tomorrow morning. Blessings until next year. Barb and Bill.

We stopped overnight in the Forsyth Ga KOA. We will leave about 9am so as to hit Atlanta after the morning rush hour. This usually works for us and we sail on through. Hopefully there will be lots of Dis meets for the camping board members. Where ever they happen to be.
Barb, whatever you decide to do, safe travels to all of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter