Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

I'll put up some pix from the campfire singalong last night.

Not a big crowd last night, sorta medium sized. I noticed Cowboy Anthony started about 705pm and wrapped at 735pm because Chip & Dale made it through the crowds with relative ease. Both campfires were working:

Here was the pre-show scene:

The refreshment wagon was selling a lot of sticks:

Chip & Dale met the family of the day before they made their entrance:

Cowboy Anthony has a well-oiled, very tight show:

Last night's highlight was the mighty "Hokey Pokey" (c'mon, I know some of you know the dance ... I'm not going to name names ...):

We didn't stay for the movie but came back to the campsite to stash stuff under the EZ ups. The rain was pretty hard from about 1030pm to midnight. After that is has come in waves/bands with periods of lighter rain and then a break (then wash, rinse, repeat). We made a lunch ADR for today and the kids want to resort hop so that's what's on tap for today. We'll see how cold it's supposed to get after this rain stops.

Bama Ed

PS - the MK train and boat whistles sound strong this morning

Last edited:

I wonder what RunDisney will do for the Full Marathon scheduled for Sunday morning (tomorrow)?

Bama Ed

Man, that's rough. "Wind chills in the upper 20s". The actual air temp here this morning is 8.

:-)

j

Ed, you will still be running, they only cancel for lightening. That being said be careful at the water stops it can get icy. I ran for Disney on ice in 2010. If the ground looks wet try to avoid it.

For those keeping track Bert, myself, and probably another 100 people ran an unofficial half at the fort today. I will say had it been official I would have a new PR. Still not as fast as I was hoping but got my official distance in. Bert and I will stop by the expo today to pick up our medals and wear them proudly, we still covered the distance.

Ed, you will still be running, they only cancel for lightening.

That's wonderful news, Kris. Thanks for sharing.

And good tip about the water stops. And great on your run this morning. There were lots of people out running all over.

We did a little monorail touring. Boated to MK, rode the monorail around to Epcot then over to the Grand Floridian for lunch. Before we ate, though, I had to find a place over there to print something very important for Monday which was successful. Then we had a few minutes to share so we sat in the Grand Lobby. They have several board games and game items on their tables and we picked up the Jumbo Playing Cards for a game of Family Crazy 8s.

When I say these cards are big, I mean they're BIG:

What an awful hand for Crazy 8s right? Who dealt me this pile of junk? Sorry to say I did. And thus I lost this hand.

Lunch was really good at the Grand Floridian Prices. They have a number of breakfast items on their lunch menu, prices are lunch-able, and it was a new venue for us.

After lunch we hopped the mono to the Poly to roam it and get a Dole Whip for dessert. I got mine in the souvenir Tiki bowl for an extra $5 - my souvenir for this trip.

Every time I eat my morning Cheerios out of this bowl at home I will remember this trip.

Had to run some errands this afternoon and on the way stopped by to visit our DIS poster bjschil and her DH. She was very nice and as she said her family is right next to them. It's impossible to miss them with their Green Bay Packers EZ Up and their cheese head cows up front. Hoping to catch up with John VN later today.

Temp is dropping so it should be cold and fun in the morning.

That's all for now.

Bama Ed

I still feel like I earned this

IMG_2293.JPG

Can't wait for dinner. Going to Ravello. For some reason I want pasta.

Ed, good luck tomorrow that wind will be stiff. I suggest trash bags or throw away poncho. First it will stop the wind and you can run in it till you warm up. Plus it's easy and cheap to ditch. If you need a poncho let me know. For Disney on ice I wore one both days for almost the entire race.

Thanks for the hint, Kris. I think I will do that - I've seen it done but didn't think of it.

I finally caught up with the man, the myth, our poster John VN or as he calls himself, McFlurry John. (of course there is a story behind it). He and his wife chatted with me and it was nice to pick his brain. Of course, i had to contact his people to mediate the meeting. Between him and garneska, I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be.

Later.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Ed best of luck tomorrow You might want to consider doing a Joe Namath and wear some panty hose to protect your legs from cold as well

Bama_Ed it was nice to put a face to your name. Glad you stopped by. Good luck on your run today. Garneska, we saw you on the end of your run. Job well done. Chilly tonight for Florida, but we will " grin and bear it"! Back home is -2, so it could be worse. Everyone stay warm tonight. Lots of propane going on for heat tonight.

Thanks barb. It was GREAT to see you. A friendly face and I was ready to be done! Thankfully I finished before the next hard rain started.

Barb - I have been wondering if you had made it down yet. Glad to hear you made it down safely with the family. The cabana sounds fantastic!

Mallory You shameless HUSSY You should be ashamed of yourself. Here we are worrying about you and all the while you are , using you ailment and pretending to be a DAMSEL in distress to attract and turn a young boys head. Willing to bet on top of it all you are a COUGAR

Well I made it. My strategy worked.

I got an official time, an official medal, and now about to start my family's official party. (Dinner at Raglan Road).

Bama Ed

Congrats Ed on the race and it looks like its going to be a good after party!!!! Really enjoying the pics.......especially the panoramics :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Denise are my eyes playing tricks on me or does the Wagon you posted above look like its had some sprucing up done to it I don't remember it being so well painted or shiny when we saw it back in 2014

Back from dinner.

A couple notes from the run today.

First, 3am comes pretty early for a wakeup. But I did sleep the night before which doesn't always happen the night before the race.

Second, I prepped properly in layers and sheddables to withstand the long wait and initial miles of the race. By mile 7 I was wearing what I finished with.

Then, I was in corral L (12th letter) so I saw Mickey count down and the fireworks go off 12 times every 2-4 minutes. My group started about 620am.

Next, I kept my initial pace going till mile 8 and ran the Galloway method (alternating run/walk) until about mile 13. Then I walked it in from there to the finish line.

One lady face planted in front of me on mile 11. Didn't see what caused it but she didn't bend at the waist at all-she went down like a board with legs extended. Then she rolled over and tried to sit up and ended up having to drop out because she hurt her knee.

My DW and kids saw me in front of the Grand Floridian at mile 7 and my parents saw me in the AK parking lot at mile 14 so that coordination worked.

Lots of characters along the route. Also one of the old 20th Leagues submarine on a flat bed truck. I didn't run with my phone and I wouldn't have stopped for pix anyway because of the lines and I didn't want to spare the time standing and waiting. Also many DJ's with loud music sprinkled throughout which helped.

Best signs along the route: The guy in the TTC parking lot with the sign "I Like Fast Women" and at Wide World of Sports: "This is the Worst Parade Ever".

I missed the chocolate candy bar (mini) handout at mile 23 behind Tower of Terror and was getting light-headed after leaving DHS and walking along the canal toward the Swan/Dolphin. I asked at the next medical tent if they had anything to eat and of course they didn't. But a nice lady runner dressed up as Snow White heard my question and gave me some gummy bears and the sugar got me focused back pretty quickly. So thank you whoever you are.

One runner had a pretty good costume of the running Forrest Gump. He had the Bubba Gump ball cap, the high white tube socks, the long brown hair and beard, and an Alabama football jersey. He got lots of good comments from spectators.

Coming in on the last mile by Mexico, I found myself behind a guy walking in an Elvis/Vegas costume who was getting the love from the crowd as he went by and giving it back too. He'd point the finger, give a wink or a shimmy, and I could feel the love behind him.

Gonna go to bed soon and catch up on some sleep I lost last night. Tomorrow will be a long day. Then we go home on Tuesday.

Bama Ed

PS - Steve, I still am reminded of you when I flip the setting to panorama on my phone...

We are celebrating the Packer win. For those of you who might have driven by, yes, we were too tight to go and buy canvas to close in our easy up. It is adorned with several color sheets, and a blanket. Made for watching the outdoor tv feel just like we were at Lambeau. For the Fort Wilderness patrol, it will come down tomorrow, but we do look a little "red neck"! Our time ends here in Friday, and memories are being made, for Bill and I, our wish is to come back here in October to celebrate our 45th. It is where we spent our honeymoons as young 19 year olds. Here is hoping for a warmer day tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter