Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

Yesterday I did something I have wanted to do for a while but always ran out of time.

IMG_2319.JPG

Yep we did the horseback riding. I thought it was fun. I am an animal lover but I have only ever ridden 3 times. Am sure if you are into horseback riding this might not be for you, but for a beginner it was perfect.

After that we headed to abracadabra bar and saw our favorite bartender. Then went to flying fish for dinner.

Am contemplating a run right now but had one too many adult beverages, so am still in bed.

Plan is to hit Epcot for the new festival today.

WATCH IT PAUL It just so happens I resemble that remark. WookieBear flips her head and I come and hug her, Katie lays on the floor and cries and I pay attention to her, Sky starts to play paw and I let her outside, Chubbs jumps ont the arm of my chair and scratch her fat derriere Is is just me or is anyone else seeing a pattern here

No worries Mike... I TOO resemble that remark

Our animals have the run of the house. They sleep wherever they want.

My Lap
20150311_215715.jpg

On my Laptop/Backpack bag for Work
20150522_152020.jpg

In my bed (with MY pillow)
20150628_120504.jpg

They have us trained. The looks are demanding their "Wet Food" for which they enjoy at the dinner table.
20160129_054243.jpg

And don't even think about taking the pillow off the couch. 20160227_215328.jpg

Denise and Frank, it wAs nice to see you again Wednesday afternoon. We hope your trip home is safe and quick. We are leaving tomorrow, however, this middle of the country ice storm is kind of blocking our way to Wisconsin. What to do. Another weekend at Disney? We will make decisions tomorrow morning. Blessings until next year. Barb and Bill.
Barb oh the horrr forced by unforeseen circumstances to spend more time at The Fort. It happened to us 2 years ago Near Hurricane conditions would have greeted us in Georgia all the way home to Delaware Called and extended for 3 days and made it home fine but had to endure 3 extra days at WDW it was HORRIBLE I'll always do it again

Last edited:
Good news,,,, we got to stop traveling at 1pm. Bad news,,,, it was because the truck stopped on I-24. So here we sit in the garage parking lot in the camper for the night. Parts will be in noonish, then the repair and we'll be on our way home. Only about 90 miles to go. Glad we had some food in the frig.

Good news,,,, we got to stop traveling at 1pm. Bad news,,,, it was because the truck stopped on I-24. So here we sit in the garage parking lot in the camper for the night. Parts will be in noonish, then the repair and we'll be on our way home. Only about 90 miles to go. Glad we had some food in the frig.

Darn. It's always something, isn't it?

Bama Ed

Denise big bummer.

Had a decent day today. I did manage to get up and run 4 miles. After some brief work we went to Epcot and the festival of the arts. We enjoyed it. The food kiosks while expensive were bigger portions than food and wine and a bit fancier. It was the first day so am sure they will get a rythem but it was a little slow in making the food. However some things were stellar. Our favorites were the venison and shrimp ceviche.

IMG_2323.JPG

Followed by the salmon tartare and mushroom risotto.

IMG_2324.JPG

My next favorite was the pop art cookie which was like a pop tart. I was definitely glad for some gift cards we had. It did rain on and off all day, but the heavy rain waited for when we were back at the fort and trying to cook dinner.

The plan was to hangout tonight since it is the last night to do it but rain said no. We still walked dogs in the rain. Mallory really wanted out.

Now we sit inside since the weather sucks. Tomorrow we run and then have BF at trails end, then pack up, dinner at artist point and finally bed to start the drive Sunday.

IMG_2326.JPG

No idea why he went there after the wet walk.

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

She was so happy for me to be in the couch next to her.

Kris and Burt, you rock! These are great pictures. Glad your last full day was a fun one.

Denise and Frank, we feel your pain. How romantic, inside your tt inside a garage. You were lucky you had food leftover. Contemplating whether to leave, or ask to extend our stay somewhere, we left. About an hour out of Disney, the fiver tire blew. Safe pullover, but spent some time taking off spare, hydraulic jacks down, and spare tire on. Then we went in search at GCR in Ocala for a spare to have, just in case. They changed out the spare for the new, and after a 3 hour delay, back on road. We struggled to make it close to Birmingham, then decided to stay in hotel, and watch the weather reports for Illinois. Not looking good for arrival home tomorrow evening. May just have to unwinterize and look at a campground in Nashville!

So close, yet...

At least you had the camper. Not sure how far you live up I-24, but the weather at the west end isn't great right now.

j

Looking for any input, Teambur, in I24, up to 57, to Champaign. Not looking very good tonight from our comfy hotel bed.

To all that remain, enjoy your time. It truly has wonderful memories for our family. Barb & Bill

Last edited:
@Kris & Bert, to think I knew you before you were famous.:)

@Barb & Bill, Sorry for your delay, heck we might bump into each other on our drives home.

Looking for any input, Teambur, in I24, up to 57, to Champaign. Not looking very good tonight from our comfy hotel bed.
Barb,

Our STL tv range doesn't extend as Far East as I-57. It looks there has been a narrow band of ice between I-64 and I-70, but the temps are also right at freezing through most of the area where it is trying to rain. Forecast is for the temps to be above freezing most of today and tomorrow until you get north of the precip, with it only going below freezing over night.

The highways around StL have also been salted well enough to keep the roads from glazing over. I live about 30 miles north east of StL, in Illinois and even the roads out by me have been in good shape. The only places reported to be trouble are south and west of StL.

Keep an eye on the radar, but I would think you have a window during the day to make it to WI and get clear of this.

j

Barb,

Just checked radar again this morning. With the warmer temps today, it looks like the freezing line has shifted north to right at the edge of the precip. I'm guessing you are taking I-74 over to I-55/I-39. Radar right now looks like it is very scattered freezing rain around Champaign to Bloomington. Once you are north of Bloomington, it drys out.

I still think it is ok to head home. The freezing band is pretty narrow and scattered and they would have been out salting the interstates for awhile. Otherwise, it is supposed to be in the 50s here on Monday, but I suspect 2 more days in a hotel doesn't sound fun.

j

They got any fishing holes there? If so, Frank is probably loving it. If not, well, Frank, think funny thoughts. Remember the picture of that Christmas monkey?

Well, probably not...It's been a few years.

Think back to the canal and that big cat you caught! Yeah, that aughta do it.

You guys can add it as yet another "wasn't funny at the time" moments in life.

Barb,

Just checked radar again this morning. With the warmer temps today, it looks like the freezing line has shifted north to right at the edge of the precip. I'm guessing you are taking I-74 over to I-55/I-39. Radar right now looks like it is very scattered freezing rain around Champaign to Bloomington. Once you are north of Bloomington, it drys out.

I still think it is ok to head home. The freezing band is pretty narrow and scattered and they would have been out salting the interstates for awhile. Otherwise, it is supposed to be in the 50s here on Monday, but I suspect 2 more days in a hotel doesn't sound fun.

We are taking i24 from Nashville to Paducah, and up to 57 to champaign, then over to Bloomington, and up 39 to Rockford. So we are just going forward to see how it goes. Thanks for your help. Barb

j

Travel safely, Barb. I enjoyed meeting you and DH. Best of luck back home with the dairy.

Bama Ed

Safe journeys to all. Sadly, you can't fight the weather. 2goofycampers and bjschil sorry to hear of your troubles, but sounds like you made the best of a bad situation.
We went to Animal Kingdom this morning and will go to Magic Kingdom this evening. Weather has been a little wet, but at least it is warm.

Thanks so much everyone for your pictures & your reports! I have to say, that this RIGHT HERE is the reason my fingers couldn't go fast enough to book a last minute trip! I truely appreciate everyone's input. We are all blessed to have a forum like this to share in :)

I'm so sad that I didn't get a chance to meet you @bama_ed! I'm bummed that our paths could not cross again, Kris, Bert, Barb, Bill, Densie & Frank!

Ed - glad you had a great trip with your kids. The puzzle sure is nice. I hope to take some slow time this trip and possibly explore the hidden Ed. Your pics of the trail to WL looks peaceful. Might have to try that too.

Love your input on AK at night, Barb. Looking forward to that for sure. I'm sure the grands love their Disney gram to the moon and back!

Good for you Kris, on trail riding. That sounds fun. When we get all settled in to the new farm homestead, the first critter on the list is a pony for Grace!

Thanks for sharing the fishing pics, Denise & Frank. We have yet to catch anything. The one pic with Frank holding the "big one", I can't help but picture him as a boy! He must have went fishing a lot as a child.

Safe travels everyone!

Hugs to you all!

Melissa

Well it's the weekend and we've been unpacking, doing laundry, drying out, and putting away a little each night.

Looking back on it, I loved my site and doing the Marathon but I was trapped between my two girls. DW wanted to go slow, take it easy, hang out at the Fort/site, and take naps. My DD wanted to go places, see things, do stuff, stay out late, be there and do that. I slant more toward DW's position and given that's where my future lies on more Fort visits, I'll go with that.

Leaving on Tuesday morning meant packing up the EZ up tents and the canvas tent the kids slept in with morning dew still on them although I put them in the morning sun while we were loading up. So Tuesday night I drove home, Wednesday night I hung the EZ up tents and panels in the garage to dry out, Thursday night I unloaded the back of the Suburban (crammed to the gills), and today (Saturday) I folded up all the EZ up tents and panels and suspended the canvas tent to air out for a day or two. I'm just about caught up on my sleep.

Looking at my (popup) signature, I've been streaky at the Fort. As in, I had a streak of Premium stays in 900 loop (got put in 1000 once despite requesting 900), a streak of 1500 loop for Tent site stays, and a streak of Preferred stays lately (one time in 400 but Preferreds were full so got put in Premium 400). I have thrown out there a future reservation for Halloween week (in a Preferred) and Christmas week (in a Premium) but I don't know if we'll actually use them. If I can travel off-season in the future I'll be headed back to the Tent sites with my A-liner popup.

I'd like to secure some non-Fort Florida campsites in the future.

Next up camping-wise is a weekend stay at Gulf Shores at the end of this month for a Half Marathon and then a return to Gulf State Park in May for the Beach DIS Meet II (I will have a new puzzle). It was nice to meet so many DISsers this trip. Ya'll so cool.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
"garneska" loved your pics! Anyone else go to the Festival of the Arts?? We get to the Fort on Jan 29th and want to check out the Festival on the 30th

I'd like to secure some non-Fort Florida campsites in the future.

We need to get our popup open tomorrow and clean it out and get all the stuff out, clean, and put back in there. Our next trip is in early March to Highland Hammock State Park. It will be our first time there so will do a little trip report when I get back. I still recommend the Keys or, if you don't want to go so far, Blue Spring State Park north of Orlando. That spring in the summer is heaven.

Congrats to those who ran and those who had intention to run! The trip reports have been great and it's nice to meet people in real life or electronically. Those pictures of paintings ar awesome. We will be back at the Fort for Spring Break - fun because we go with friends but by far the most crowded time there. The pool is people soup by 11 every morning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter