Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

Got two days of work coming up (this Thursday and Friday) and then the vacation can officially crank up. We leave Sunday morning and right now the weather forecast here at home is for rain on Saturday and Sunday (several hours each day). I'd like to NOT drive in the rain so I may change my direction of travel to South East on Sunday morning if that will avoid the rain. If not, I will continue with my plan to head to Atlanta on I20 then south down I75.

Back to the grind for a little while longer.

Learned something new today. Since we have stayed at the Fort in Oct., Nov., and Dec., we noticed that a few sites in our loop, 1700, have had the same people in it since October. Husband stopped and talked to one and found out they are cast members (she worked at animal kingdom) and they live at the Fort full time. CMs (full or part time ) get 40% off full hook ups and 50% of premium sites. She said there are a few couples that stay full time that are non CMs and just keep re booking and stay in the same site. Sounds like a good reason to get a part time job after we retire

I sorta have heard that through my DD18 who is considering the Disney College Program for next fall. Among the perks she listed was 40% discounts for resorts (if the CM was NOT staying at the room) and 50% if the CM WAS staying with the party. So CM discounts are in that range. The biggest discount I've heard offered to the public was 30%.

If she got accepted to the DCP I would HAVE to come visit her and be a supportive father (#hangheadmodestly) several times but at those discount levels I might consider Wilderness Lodge or Port Orleans Riverside. It would feel like cheating on FW but hey if it's July or August, I'd do it.

Bama Ed

Hung out at the pool yesterday, went around 11:30 and it wasn't too busy. Pool water was very warm and the hot tub was, well HOT!. Weather was so nice yesterday. Didn't do much else till later in the afternoon. Headed over to DS to see Rogue One, have dinner and see the Drone show. Amazes me how busy DS was on a Wednesday before dark. I know it's Christmas, but wow. Had plans to eat at Blaze Pizza or the new Burger place, but the lines wrapped around the buildings, and this was at 5:50. Decided on the food trucks since it was next to the area the recommend to view the drone show. Not the best dinner, but food was ok, just not for the price, but that's Disney. Drone show was short, but was neat, well, actually amazing when you think about it. 300 individual drones working together.
image.jpg image.jpg

To all those who made it down or are enroute, enjoy. I trip got cut short on day one when At Carolina Cross Roads CG in Roanoke Rapids NC I plugged in the shore line and found we had no Power. Checked everything I could think of CG sent guy over and confirmed power was going to outlet. They gave me # for local repair guy and we found some Camping World on the way and called them the next day. All said they could fix the problem and to come in Jan 8th 9th or 10th With just battery and generator power we decided to cut trip way too short and came home

@FtW Mike are you going to miss the 10k? I thought you were running on the weekend. Am so sorry if you had to bail. That stinks.

We are packing up and planning on the first leg of the journey tomorrow. We have a ressie at eagles roost.

Ed, will let you know how the construction is.

Thanks Kris! I hope you and Bert have an uneventful drive down.

John VN, try to stay in one piece till next week. I'm still hoping for a McFlurry with you even if I have to drive us over there to get one.

Since I am running early Sunday morning, I have had my eye on the Saturday night forecasted low temperature. Right now it is showing 46F which is nice. The Sunday high is showing 64F so I hope I can get more miles in before it gets too hot. Right now the highs next week are 81-83F Monday to Saturday and lows 58-66F during the week until the aforementioned Saturday night. It needs to be cool on Saturday night (40s would be good) and cloudy/cool/slow to warm up on Sunday morning. I'll be out on the course till 1pm or so (late corral, slow, poor training, etc.) and I wish it would stay in the 50s all the way.

When you're moving out on the course, you are plenty warm! :banana:

Fortwildernesscamper, garneska, and John VN, I will catch up with you after I check in on Monday (or after you arrive).

Bama Ed

PS - thanks MM

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Yesterday we went and played putt putt golf, really cute course. Last night we ventured off property and had dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and then to Bass Pro Shops, traffic was a nightmare, there is no way I could live and work in that mess. Dinner was fantastic. Today was our last full day, we head home tomorrow. It was cold for this Florida girl, lol. We hung out at camp until after noon then resort hopped and then dinner at the Poly. Back at camp now waiting to head to the beach party at 9. Going to triple layer the clothes and may have to sample some moonshine to warm me from the inside.

As I pack and prep this morning, I went through my tailgate box to inventory what I've got, what I need, etc. Much of my gear does double duty as the camping "stuff" and also the tailgate "stuff" as a 20-year tailgater to the Bama home games. One thing I learned is that I need to stop instinctively buying duct tape for a while to use up the rolls I've already got. But I don't have a single plain silver roll....

I am what I am.

Got all the big stuff loaded in the car. Now to go out and get the few items I lack and then prep the food/cooler. Then I'll settle in to watch bowl games. The family is asking me what time we leave in the morning. I'm countering with "how early can you get up and get going"? Still rain in the forecast today and tomorrow in Alabama and Georgia. Radar looks blah.

Bama Ed

Happy new year everyone. We made it to Eagle's Roost. Drive was very uneventful. Ed, I would take the 20 to 285 to 75. I am thinking you will hit it in the morning so you should be fine. All construction is to the side. The worst of it is just south of Atlanta, exit 228 to 212. After that we did not expience any construction. It did seem like all the rest areas were packed though. We stopped in Byron to get gas. Around Lake Park it looks like unleaded is about 2.17, diesel was cheaper up in Byron. We will get gas again in Florida at 341, because we always do.

Had dinner at the local Farmhouse. Very similar to Cracker Barrel. We were supporting the local economy and bought some mango butter. After that hit Winn Dixie. Concerned that grocery store won't be open tomorrow.

Plan for tomorrow is to start adjusting to the super early wake up time. This helps us go to sleep earlier, so that we are well rested for the half next week. That means 6:30, for me not a big deal bert on the other hand. I will get an easy 6 mile run in, if the weather corporates. Then we will head to Southern Oaks RV park at exit 341. It is near the villages. My in laws are snow birds there till march. I know MIL is following along, hi!!! We are going to try and get there around 1, then FIL will cook dinner. Monday we head to the fort.

Hope everyone has safe travels!

Congrats Ed, I see Alabama won, I guess I know where the party is on Jan 9.

We are packing up to head out tomorrow from the house we are staying in Tennessee. It has been sooo cold for these Floridians but, alas, no snow so major disappointment for everyone. My plan is to Atlanta tomorrow, visit GaTech, have lunch, and I75 to Valdosta. These days are snowbird travel days so I wanted a guaranteed reservation.

On Monday, we will pick up our popup and check in!!!! Need it after a vacation with 11 other members of my family:).

Packing for very cold and then camping has been quite the challenge. Bribing people now to take my winter clothes back in their car so I have room in my car for food.

In general things went according to plan today. I got up early, including Bert, and ran. We had a few issues with our patriot brake fir the tow but we were not in a hurry. Because of that got started a bit late, 10:40 am. Got to the next campground at 1:15 pm.

After a quick setup and walk for the dogs, we loaded everyone in the car and went to visit the in laws in the villages.

We drove around and saw all the new stuff and did a few errands.

When we got back to the in laws yeti had some issues. He fell on the tile floor and was all 4 legs spread out. I helped him up but he was having a very hard time walking. He is doing better but is very weak in his back end. Had a good traditional New Years dinner, pork and sour kraut. Was delicious.

Will head back to the rig soon and then go to bed. It is quite warm right now in FL. Plan is to head out about 9 am. First I have to do a little work. Hoping for a good site and one that is ready when we get there. I will wait in overflow though for a good loop.

Kris, glad you made it in.

I saw Eagles Roost as I drove down I75 today. It looks pretty nice - spanish moss hanging from lots of trees, looks close to the hwy exit, and there were lots of folks there. What does it run per night this time of year?

We drove in off/on mist to Atlanta then down I75. The rain on radar looked worse than what it was - not bad at all and the heaviest rain we got wasn't that heavy and didn't last long. Traffic was light until we got below Lake City and then it was solid. Got into Lake Louisa State Park just after the sun had set. I'm a supporter of state parks and try to use them wherever possible and Florida's system is generally pretty good. Travelling with DS22, DD18, and DW, I know to get a site near a comfort station for my ladies. This picture is just after we backed in while we had some remaining light.

If my stargazer advisor (my father) is correct, that is Mars up to the left of the crescent moon in the twilight:

A few mosquitos are out tonight but not bad at all. Lows tonight will be in the mid 60s and highs were mid 80s driving in today. The rain stopped around Valdosta and the clouds disappeared at the Florida state line (advertising pays I guess).

Check-in tomorrow and breakfast at Trails End. I'm ready!

Bama Ed

Enjoying all the pix on the thread.

Ed - just as more info I've stayed at Eagle's Roost several times and the cost for 30 amp with Good Sam discount was $33 including taxes. Very nice people. Here's a pic of my site there.DSCN0050.JPG

Thanks Disneypeach. That was our first time there. We like to try to get to Ocala, but knew yesterday we were not going that far. It was decent but not much around. Fine for an overnight. Actually the road at front was decent to run on. Not a lot traffic.

We've stayed at Eagle's Roost several times too. Nice place, but I think I may try to get closer to the Fort this next trip.

Great pics everyone.

Ed, I think you are right about that being Mars. Venus is out right now too, but I think is below the moon, closer to the horizon tonight and tomorrow.

Have fun everyone and have a great race for those of you running.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter