• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who will join us Late December - January, Trip Reports

Good for you, Denise.

I cleaned up a few details for my Disney trip coming up in a few weeks.

My travel plans needed cleaning up (had the general structure in place but needed to tighten up the exact dates in/out and cancel alternatives). Also on Disney Dining at Disney Springs, there are a couple restaurants (Boathouse, Morimoto, Raglan Road) that you can book through a website called www.opentable.com and search on lake buena vista as I did which will bring up their participating restaurants in the orlando area. Turns out the Disney Dining website for these has a limited number of reservations available and opentable had additional times available on the dates I was looking for when Disney did not. Plus there is no cancellation/no show fee on opentable like there is on Disney. So I had a Disney Raglan Road ressie but it was not at the best time because nothing was available then so I took a much later one. But opentable had the time I wanted so I booked that and cancelled the Disney reservation.

DD18 is so excited about this Disney trip that it's getting a little annoying in a sweet kind of way. Is now too soon to be looking at the 30-day weather forecasts at Accuweather for Disney? Now showing 70s/50s which is okay but if it was a little cooler at night that would be better.

Tick tock. :hourglass

Bama Ed

I too have been rearranging my plans. I think I am good now with FP and dining still need dinner one night but it is late in the trip so won't be crowded.

Well, unless we have a drastic change in weather in the next week I will have to make adjustments to my packing list....remove jacket/hat/gloves and add bathing suit & sunscreen. Was really hoping to have a cool Christmas, but looks like it will be another warm one.

Well, unless we have a drastic change in weather in the next week I will have to make adjustments to my packing list....remove jacket/hat/gloves and add bathing suit & sunscreen. Was really hoping to have a cool Christmas, but looks like it will be another warm one.
Warm is good!

Tltay from your lips to God's ears on the weather We are about to go through 2days of sub freezing temps and our first 2 days on the road will be in high winds and raind
Warm is good!
Couldn't have said it better myself D

1) Of course, one might chose to retire, like me.
2) Makes my schedule pretty flexible when working only part-time.
I would chose to retire if I could... Believe me. Alas, Family wouldn't be happy right now if I tried. We'd have to cut back a bit on things. (You know, Food, water, Heat, shelter... ) :)

Maybe someday though.

Tltay from your lips to God's ears on the weather We are about to go through 2days of sub freezing temps and our first 2 days on the road will be in high winds and raind

Couldn't have said it better myself D

So sorry about the cold weather and safe travels. Being a native Floridian, I really look forward to a cold snap, especially at Christmas. Just doesn't feel right wearing shorts on Christmas, lol.

I'm a "newbie" to the board!

We are going to be there from 1/4-1/20 :cloud9:
:welcome:

Don't be afraid to ask your questions.... We are (generally) a friendly bunch over here in the Camping boards..

Well..... except that squirrely guy!:squirrel:

(just kidding of course!) :lmao:

Sure sign of an upcoming WDW Fort trip:

Verifying the Florida SunPass is still valid for the Turnpike and Toll Roads around Orlando. We are good to go. :beach:

In fact we recently added funds so now I have nearly $30 for tolls (may not sound like much but it can cover a lot of distance/booths). I might need to plan a future trip WAY down into South Florida to use that toll money up....

Bama Ed

Verifying the Florida SunPass is still valid for the Turnpike and Toll Roads around Orlando. We are good to go. :beach:

In fact we recently added funds so now I have nearly $30 for tolls (may not sound like much but it can cover a lot of distance/booths). I might need to plan a future trip WAY down into South Florida to use that toll money up....

Bama Ed

Thanks for reminding me!! I really wish Fast Pass was universal, it would make things so much easier!

:welcome:

Don't be afraid to ask your questions.... We are (generally) a friendly bunch over here in the Camping boards..

Well..... except that squirrely guy!:squirrel:

(just kidding of course!) :lmao:

Thanks! I do have a question. This early check in process that everyone mentions, how do I do it? When I go to Disney experience it doesn't give me but a few things to do--like magic hands and link our tickets. No request screen for loops, etc. Am I missing something, is there another place to check in?

Thanks! I do have a question. This early check in process that everyone mentions, how do I do it? When I go to Disney experience it doesn't give me but a few things to do--like magic hands and link our tickets. No request screen for loops, etc. Am I missing something, is there another place to check in?

Ozgood, I wrote a thread recently about how the early check-in has changed. The old way was very Fort-specific (loop request, etc.). Now it's so generic I didn't use it this time. When in MDE on your "reservations" tab, at the upper part where your resort reservation is shown, you should have an Early check-in button at something like 60 days before arrival. So there is no other place to do early check in - Disney took away features it had previously given us.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/so...eys-early-check-in-now.3564825/#post-56848141

I plan to check in around 7am of my arrival day. Knowing that it's a busy time at the Fort (right after New Years) and early in the morning, I fully expect to have to wait to get my assigned site. My plan is to go to the Fort lobby, be polite and deferential to the CM's working the morning desk, pay my balance due, and ask about a few of my favorite campsites (if they might be available for check-in later that day) for the level/loop I've reserved and desire. Then I expect to have to go to the over flow parking (the lot farthest from the lobby) to wait for a text from Disney that my assigned site is finally ready. It could be after lunch since people have until 11am to check out then the site has to be cleaned and prepped. I have a Trails End breakfast reservation for that morning and nothing scheduled for the entire day other than checking in and getting set up. I might drop the camper and drive to Disney Springs if it's taking a long time. Or hop a bus to go somewhere. Or go monorail riding. All while waiting for the text that will have the site number that is ready finally for me.

I could get on my soap box but nobody wants to hear it and I agree with them. It is what it is (crappy-the features we had with early check in have been taken away from us).

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Bama Ed

Head to the Keys! Drove down again a week ago and the views and the vibe never gets old.

DS and I will be at the Fort 1/15 - 1/17! Crashing my parents vacation for a few days since we have APs, his school is off for MLK day, and the SWA points were really low for us to pop down! Poor DH can't get away from work, so he gets to stay home with the dog boys. It will be a quick whirlwind trip, but I can't wait!

Good for you, KristinU. Sorry we will be gone when you arrive.

It's a bummer for DH to be stuck at home but I hope you and your son enjoy the visit with your parents/his grandparents at Disney.

I'm a big fan of the multi-generational trip whenever it can be pulled off.

Bama Ed

garneska,

Another question for you....

I'm considering driving to WDW via I20 to Atlanta and going down I75. Despite the longer distance, it's all interstate and compares very favorably to the more direct route down through Dothan I normally take.

The reason I am considering it is because we'll be driving down on a Sunday (January 1) and also on a holiday (light traffice maybe?). Are there any long stretches of construction or narrow lanes down I75 to I10? And Google Maps wants to take me all the way to downtown Atlanta by the State Capitol on I20 then south on I75 by the Ted rather than take I285 down and around by the airport. Towing my popup, which route would you recommend?

Thanks, Bama Ed

Ed,
I'm sure Kris will answer but since I'm just north of Atlanta I can give you a bit of info. There is some work being done for several miles on I75 just south of Atl. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem tho on Jan 1st. I would guess that going I285 vs I20 would be a tossup but I haven't been on I20 in a long time. Personally I prefer 285 as the lanes seem "wider" to me altho I'm sure that's just an optical illusion on my part! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter