What did you call your grandmother?

My maternal grandmother died before I was born. I called my paternal grandmother Grandma. She was profoundly deaf so never heard my voice. I am looking forward to seeing her in Heaven and her being able to hear my voice.

On my mother's side it was Granny and on my Daddy's it was Grandmother. My son had a little girl early in April (well his SO did but you know what I mean). There was debate as to what she would call me. I told him I didn't care, she is going to call me what she calls me. When my son was born my mother said she didn't care what he called her as long as it wasn't one of those silly things like memaw or mawmaw or something like that. Of course, he couldn't say grandma so memaw she became to him and all the grandkids that came after him. I learned from that, I really don't care what she calls me. I'm still not sure what to call her. Her mother calls her by her full name, which is a formal version of my name. My son calls her PP because she was a month pre-mature and the nurses in NICU said she was just a little pocket peanut. She hasn't revealed enough of her personality to me yet for me to know what to call her so she is little one right now.

I called both of mine Grandma LastName (or in one case, kind of a cutsie version of her last name.)

On my side, DS has Grandma FirstName when we refer to my late mom, and Nana for the grandmother he has actually grown up with.

On DH's side, he has Mema. (Oldest niece's name for her just sort of stuck.)

Last edited:
When my son was born, my mom called herself Grammy. But then when my son started talking he looked at her one day and said Nan Nan. So now she's Nan Nan! (And you know there is no monogrammed/card/gift that has Nan Nan on it!!!!!) So it might be whatever the baby says! hahaha And my dad was going to be Grampy and my son was watching out the front door and saw him pull in the driveway and he pointed and said Pop Pop. Never called him that - just what he said! So it stuck! I called my Grandpa - Poppy so I secretly didn't want it to be the same since to me that would be weird since my dad isn't Poppy! Do you know what I mean? So good thing for me he didn't say Poppy! haha My other set were just Grandma and Grandpa since they lived in far away and we on'y saw them twice a year.

Paternal- Grams

Maternal- Nana Prissy. Her name was Priscilla and when my brother was a toddler he called her Prissy and it stuck.

Pretty boring, both grandmas! My maternal grandma wanted to be called nana, but it never stuck

Let your grandchild decide - much more meaningful that way!

For the record, I called my paternal grandma “grandma” and my maternal “Gee” (I named her). My son calls my mom “Nan” (he named her) & his paternal grandma wanted to be called Honey…

I think the reason for sticking with whatever name the child uses is in the grandparent's doting attitude. Particularly when they are just starting to talk. I know my parents (particularly my mom) were thrilled with pretty much everything DD did. If DD had called her some random sounds, my mom would have been thrilled just because it was DD interacting with her.

Speaking of the name "Honey". My mom actually thought that was her name until she went to school. Her family called her that, so her friends called her that. It wasn't until the first roll call when she didn't answer to her name, and there wasn't a Honey on the list.

Grandma

My husband is the same way only we would define it by location. When his grandmother on his mom's side was alive it was "grandma here" and his other grandmother (still alive) is grandma in STL. He call(ed)(s) both grandma though. His mom however will call the one in STL "grandma (last name)" as will his dad (whose mom it is).

Grandma and Grandpa! (Silent D) Simple, sincere and elegant. When my last granddaughter started to speak she called my Gampa. I was sad when she learned how to say it correctly. I loved Gampa!

[wQUOTE="fhtpdw20, post: 63198374, member: 126945"]
I am Lala (my initials). Grandma using first name was not going to work as I and my DIL's mom have both the same first and middle names.
[/QUOTE]

My grandmother name is Lela (real name Lisa) but when my grandson was little he couldn’t say Lela and called me Lala 😊

My mom was Grandmommy and MIL was Mamaw.

Mine were Grandmother and Mamaw.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter