What did you call your grandmother?

My husband's side of the family, the tradition was Granny. On my side, it was Grandma. So, we stuck with those for our kids. I have no idea what I would choose when/if the time comes...maybe Grandmama like in the Addams Family 🤣

I had a Nonie, Grandma *her name*, and was lucky enough to have a great grandma into my 20's and she was also just Grandma *her name*.

My mom was Grandma to my daughter and niece but my nephews called her something else...something one of them made up when they were younger and it just stuck.

Nanny. I only had my mom's mom. My dad's mom passed before I was born.

My daughters call my mom Grammy (or Gram) and their dad's mom is Grandma First Name.

If I ever have grand kids I would gladly be Grandma but that is very unlikely to happen.

Both were Babcia, often Anglicized to Bopchee.

DDs also called my mother Babcia. Their other grandmother is Mom Mom.

If I ever become a grandmother, Grandma is my choice.

We called my mom's mom Grandma and my stepdad's mom Grandma (last name). I actually never knew people called their grandparents anything other than Grandma and Grandpa until I started dating DH. His nephews call their dad's parents Mimi and Papa.

DD calls her dad's parents Gram Cracker (grandma) and Gumpas (grandpa) but she calls my parents Grandma and Grandpa. My sister's kids call our parents Gaga and Papa.

Grandma. I find other names (that aren’t ethnic) to be as irritating as nails on a chalkboard. Especially Mommom and Poppop.

Congratulations on your 1st grandbaby. I've been thinking about that a lot of late and I've decided on Gigi. Technically it stands for Grandma G____ (last name) but I love Gigi. I know lots of coworkers who are Mimi's. It seems just as common.

I grew up calling mine, Grandma last name. My son calls his Grandma first name. He has 4 grandpas and 3 grandmas and the only one that has a special name is my dad who he calls papa.

My grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa Last name. Greats were Great Grandma and Grandpa Last name but just Grandma and Grandpa when speaking to them. Stepmother’s mother was Grandma First Name and Stepfather’s mother we just called by her first name, his father Grandpa Last Name. DH’s family was the same.

We started our kids out the same but it eventually evolved. My stepmother and mom go by Grandma First Name. My niece could not say grandma so started calling my mom “Nana.” They tried to get my kids to call her that but she’d been “Grandma Sherry” for too long. Both my brothers kids call her Nana. DH’s parents remained Grandma/Grandpa w/last name but had nicknames attached. My stepdad is Apo and my dad was Grandpa. For a bit DS called my dad “Papa” because he couldn’t say “Grandpa” but he eventually got it. My DH’s paternal grandma became “Granny” to the great grandkids and my maternal grandma became “Grandma Myra” to the great grandkids. My paternal grandma remained “Grandma Last Name” which is why stepmom eventually ended up “Grandma First Name.”

Long story short- minus one or two just Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandma and Nanny P.

The P was her last initial, not her first. I have no idea why we called her that. And I have no idea why I never wondered until now. I'll have to ask my dad.

Grandma was the one we saw more frequently. Nanny P. lived farther away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter