What did you call your grandmother?

I called my grandmother “granny.”

Just remember your grandchild might end up calling you what they want no matter what you try to get them to use. My mom has always been “grandma” to my kids even though she tried to get them to call her “nana.”

Last edited:
I called my grandmothers "Nannie (Insert last name". I have no idea how that got started, I was well down the line in grandkids.

My mom is MaMaw to her grandkids. My Step MIL is also MaMaw to my daughter, so it's MaMaw Beth and MaMaw Joy - we somehow switched to first names. My husbands mother is Grandma Nancy to my daughter.

Abby. Her name was Arlene, but it wasn't a nickname. We are Puerto Rican (she was Irish American but married a Puerto Rican man). When her first grandchild was born, my cousin couldn't pronounce "abuela" (spanish for grandmother) as a toddler, but she could say "abby." It stuck and we all called her that. My other grandmother died when I was very young and was in a nursing home for many years beforehand so we never knew her.

Mine were both Grandma. (And we used their last names to differentiate when speaking ABOUT them. One of mine died when I was very young so I don't actually remember calling her anything but she was referred to as "your Grandma LastName" when she was spoken about.) It's the same for my kids. We asked my mom and mother-in-law what wanted to be called and they both wanted Grandma, so...

My husband called one of his grandmothers Grandma and one Gram.

Nana (Irish - Mom's side) and Mémé (French Canadian - Dad's side)

My Mom was Grams. She thought "Nana" (what her mom was called) sounded "mean", lol.

My Dad was supposed to be Grampa, but the first grandchild came out with "PaPa" and it stuck. So you never know what you might end up being called.🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter