What did you call your grandmother?

I started calling my maternal grandmother "Bamba" after she sang La Bamba to me when I was young. I'm the 2nd oldest grandchild (out of 19) and I'm proud to say it stuck. She's forever "Bamba" to all of us!

My paternal grandmother was "Mama," but I honestly can't say why. I think an older cousin on that side started it!

Both of my grandmothers were simply Grandma. We called both of them that to their face. And as others have said, if we needed to differentiate between them (talking among my siblings), we added the last name. I also had two Grandpas. (Was fortunate to have all four into adulthood.) So I don’t feel like they HAVE to have distinct names; we had no issues at all, wasn’t a big deal.

DH called the only grandmother he knew Nana, then Nan when he got older (same as when kids transition from Mommy and Daddy to Mom and Dad). So with DS, DH’s mom is Nana/Nan, and my parents were Grandma and Grandpa.

I’m okay with some of the traditional or ethnic variations: Granny, Nanny, Memaw, Oma, etc. However, with no disrespect meant, I honestly don’t understand why people need to make up something completely different or let the child choose what to call them. Because most wouldn’t/don’t do that with parent names. If you refer to yourselves as Mommy and Daddy, when the child starts speaking, then that’s what they’ll call you. And if there are speech/pronunciation/baby talk issues, they usually clear by pre-school age. Sorry, I just don’t get it. I’ve heard some women use the excuse that they’re “too young to be a Grandma.” Please. Own it. In the greeting card section in a store (and I realize cards are falling out of favor), they all say (with rare exceptions), Grandma, Grandmother, or Nana. No Gigi or Bobo. :rolleyes:

Should I be blessed to have grandchildren some day, my preference is Grandma, a name I would happily and proudly cherish.

So my oldest DD is expecting. Yay! I never met any of my grandparents. My mom, who was from Ireland, was Nana to my kids, my MIL was Grandma. Just curious what others have liked, I have 6 months (or more until he/she is talking) to decide.
Congratulations! I had 3 grandmothers: Grandma, Nana, and Grandmama (pronounced Grand…Ma…Ma) paused for effect! :cheer2::tink:

I grew up with Grandma and Granny; my DH has Grandma and Memaw; my kids have Grandma and Gramma Jan (DH Stepmom) and Gramma Sue. DD adopted a kitten and I said I'll be his Gigi :)

I called both of my grandmas "Grammy". When we referenced them, it was Grandma View and Grandma Grove. These were based on where each lived (Grandma View lived in _____view and Grandma Grove lived in ______ Grove). I have relatives that did that too with Grandma Fields and Grandma Dunes.

We called ours "Grammer" but I never realized why until I was older. She was from Rhode Island, as is my mother (and I am but I was a baby when we moved), so she had that accent, you know where the R at the end of a word is missing. So she would say Gram-Ma, but to me me it sounded like every other word with a dropped R - so she might tell us to, "Get in the cah to go to the pahk," but to us, we said the R's so we called her Grammer.

Dad's side was Grandma {Last Name}

Mom's side was Grandma - actually, when I was a kid, we used to call her 'Plain Grandma' - which was short for 'Just Plain Grandma'. In other words, she didn't want us to call her Grandma {Last Name}, but rather, just plain Grandma. ;)

I had a Grandmom and Nana

My mother is Gram and my MIL is Granny.

I have a friend who is going to be a grandmother. She will be called Lolli and her husband Pop. I think that's adorable.

To add to my original post,

While talking to my kids about "nonna" - if I mentioned nonna - DH's side, it would be "nonna Maria", if it was nonna, my mom, it was "nonna Pina".

No biggie or difference to me - it is a good way to differentiate the paternal and maternal grandparents.

Interesting seeing everyone's perspectives. My nieces and nephews who are older than my kids all called my mom Nana when they were into their 40's, I think it held up well. i can't see myself being called Granny, that reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies.

This had me wondering if grandparent nicknames are regional. Both sets of my kid’s grandparents chose Mawmaw and PopPop and were called that by nieces and nephews already before my kids came along.

https://www.coventrydirect.com/blog/popular-grandparent-names/
edit: congrats OP :)
Lots of PopPops around Pittsburgh area! Not as many creative choices for grandfathers, my dad was GrandDad. DH will have to pick his own.

Interesting that Nana is so common. I didn't realize that.

Last edited:
When my girls were little they called my mom Beah (bee-ah) she was Grandma B but they coined the beah thing. As they got older they just called her Grandma. My MIL was a very unconventional person and originally she was Grandma H but that changed to Gram-cracker when the girls got into their teens. (not in a disrespectful way but never said it to her face).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter