Want to earn $70 for 5 hours work every now and then to add to your Disney fund? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoEllen said:
I'm alittle skeptical that a high schooler can handle this type job. I'm also alittle worried about some of the "wierdos" she may encounter in the stores. Have any of you seen teenagers working this job? Any advice or recommendations?
My last job, I was chatting with a teen from another demo company. She was cute, she told me her mom used to drive her, but now she drives and she has to remember to allow herself time to park the car! She had been doing the job for over a year.
I think any time you deal with the public, you can run into weirdos! I remember having trouble as a teen when I worked in a bookstore and a department store. I haven't had any trouble on this job, but I'm a LONG ways away from being a teen now!

I still haven't received my kit for tum's tomorrow :sad2: If I don't receive it today, I don't know what I am going to do. The store is 45 miles away and I really don't want to drive all that way for nothing. After last weeks no sample snack bar event, I really don't want to stand in the aisle with nothing again.

JoEllen said:
Well, my 17 yr old DD found this thread and applied online yesterday. She wants to earn money for her school trip to Europe next Spring and thought this sounded like a flexible way to earn money and not interfere with her high school schedule.
I'm alittle skeptical that a high schooler can handle this type job. I'm also alittle worried about some of the "wierdos" she may encounter in the stores. Have any of you seen teenagers working this job? Any advice or recommendations?
When i was 16 and 17 I was working for these stores that I am visiting now... I really think this job (demoing) is 100% easier as you don't have to put up with the bone-head retail managers arrogant move this schit here and then there attitude. plus you get paid 2x as much! :thumbsup2

drgnfly30 said:
I just realized that the address for MassConnections and the address for SPI are one and the same...

13131 E 166th St
Cerritos CA 90703

You guys with other agencies, is your agencies address the same??

If not, it looks like SPI really is MC & they are 'dumping' all the third party agencies....

Whatcha think???? :confused3
ETA: I think I answered my own question... http://www.touchamerica-instore.com/MC/partners.htm SPI is listed as an MC Partner (along with Carsan which does their shipping) No other 'agency' is... looks like MC is just insourcing more of their event personnel....

The address for TMT is in Minnesota. Sorry if I offended anyone by not keeping up with all the posts. I saw that a few people had events coming up so I thought I would ask. I keep up with the thread as much as I can with my two kids, full-time job, and part-time job. It's hard to even find time to check email these days! This newbie will keep her mouth shut from now on. :)

You guys with all these jobs are making me sad! :sad2: Good for you but bad for me! I just wish someone would tell me what agency I'm assigned to as of 10/30 so I get could busy! VERY frustrating!!!!! :furious:

Housecat, my apologizes for snapping at you. Didn't mean it quite like that. :grouphug:

I think we should all move to FL, since that's where all the work is. lol But we can't cut in on nbodyhome's territory. lol

JoEllen, about your daughter. I've trained lots of people in lots of types of jobs.

For this job, I think as long as your daughter is a problem solver & take control type person, she should do ok. If she's the type you needs to have someone around constantly so she can keep asking the next step, or how can I do this since its different from the written directions; then she might have some trouble.

Not sure if she's had any type of other work experience to draw from either. The actaul work is easy if everything goes according to directions. But it rarely does. Most times, she will not be able to reach an event co-ordinator by phone or she'll have to wait an hour to see if they even call her back while she's waiting at the store.

She should be self-disciplined; since no boss watching over her.

Yes, the pay is great compared to what she'll make at McD's. ;) My first job way back when was McD's (when they actually made people work for their $ - I cringe when in there nowadays). I learned alot of valuable work ethic lessons there. They had good training & room for advancement even while part time due to college. In college, I also worked at a grocery store part time & became somewhat of a shift manager / cash office. I guess what I'm saying is, she won't LEARN alot from this job like I learned from other jobs in turns of management or observing how businesses work or even several other tasks. She'll be all alone & really just handing out samples. No one to learn from & no room for slightest bit of advancement. Also, even though they were part time jobs, they looked good on a resume because it showed I kept learning & advancing. I had drive. She won't find any of that in this job.

I have learned something though in this job. It has greatly improved my sales technique. A part I always hated when working in banking & insurance. There, I preferred to just educate the customer & not "sell" them on something. I "sell" now, but in a light hearted fun kind of way. I don't feel guilty now when convincing someone to buy a can of soup compared to tacking on a high premium to their already high insurance bill. :blush:

Sorry for boring answer. LOL Can you tell I've always done training & management jobs in banking & insurance? :rotfl2: Real boring serious stuff. At least all the training I used to do as a private music lessons teacher, McDs, & grocery was lighter. lol

But the actual work part is fun. :)

So, now you guys can talk & see if its something she wants to do. They seem to hire everyone...but for some strange reason I've got "at least 18 yrs old" stuck in my head for this job. No idea where I got that though.

SplshMtn99 said:
I think we should all move to FL, since that's where all the work is. lol But we can't cut in on nbodyhome's territory. lol

My Supertarget is all MINE! :)

nbodyhome said:
My Supertarget is all MINE! :)

ITs all yours' until we move into town...then we have to share ;)

What happens if I am at Disney world for 2 weeks and I feel like I want to make some money back on the side... I gotta have access to your ST :thumbsup2

brivers222 said:
ITs all yours' until we move into town...then we have to share ;)

What happens if I am at Disney world for 2 weeks and I feel like I want to make some money back on the side... I gotta have access to your ST :thumbsup2

Actually, there are at least 2 SuperTargets closer to Disney - Kissimmee, and Mall of Millenia. Although as long as I get * my * shifts, then I certainly would be happy to host you at another table at my store. :) I'll even let you take a pic of me with my two thumbs up!

I somehow doubt you'll be looking for work on your Disney trip!

OMG...HELP!!!

I washed my apron for tomorrow. Tried to iron it & it MELTED! :scared1:

I've got to get one tonight!!! Somewhere in this thread, that was discussed. Was it Michael's Craft Store or AC Moore? Anywhere else? Are they the same or much different.

Ugh!! Can't believe I did this is. :crazy:

I made the same mistake ironing the apron and had the same result...lovely melted iron pattern right on the top. And I did it the morning of the event-nothing like frantically trying to fit in a stop at Michael's on the way to an event!

I got my replacment apron at Michael's and I believe it was only about $5 and I used the 40% off coupon that had been in the paper that week. If you don't have the coupon if you ask the cashier and tell them you did not get the insert in your paper that week they will often 'find' one for you to use.

The Michael's apron is nice in that it is real fabric-not the pseudo fabric the originals are but the downside is they do not have pockets. Not a big deal but I would sometimes use the pockets to hold coupons.

ZanneMarie said:
The Michael's apron is nice in that it is real fabric-not the pseudo fabric the originals are but the downside is they do not have pockets. Not a big deal but I would sometimes use the pockets to hold coupons.

The one I got at AC Moore has pockets....was about $4

OK, the idiot is back. :blush: I wanted to leave for store ASAP before weather got any worse (high wind warnings, wet leaves on roads & dark).

I went to Michael's because it's closer...but not nice & close. I did get the black fabric one, but no pockets. :guilty: Now I see Drgnfly's post about ACMoore aprons have pockets. Oh well. At least I have one for tomorrow. My DSIL works at ACMoore, so I'll have her get me one with a discount. ;) I like pockets.

Oh...and if anyone ever looses their hat, Michael's sells those for $2.99.

OK, now off to pack for tomorrow & learn my TUMS script.

So, will it be 4 hrs of hearing peoples digestion problem stories. God, I love this job. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I went shopping tonight at one of my Target and met up again with my fellow mc demo peeps. She was saying she's a petsmart and has no problem giving away those darn Proplan coupons.

I think I still have the original 200 :lmao: Does anyone want any they are cheap :teeth: I think I know what my problem is Petco prices are higher than Petsmart. I'm at the wrong store.

She was telling me she did the Tassimo event too and her machine did the malfunction thing. I am so glad my machine behaved.

Thank you for all your responses to my question if teens were capable of doing this job. I had teen dd read your answers too and it gave us some ideas to talk about. She was a lifeguard last summer at a Six Flags park here in Seattle and she laughed at my concern with her dealing with "wierdos". "Mom, I dealt with wierdos every day at the pool last summer!" :rolleyes:

We'll continue to read your thread to learn from your experiences! Now we're waiting to hear if she's been accepted!

Hey, I've got a thought. Imagine that.

I'm sitting here clipping a big stack of Sunday newspaper coupons. And a bunch have been for products we've been demoing or have as upcoming. I'm taking them with me & handing to someone who IS going to buy the product. :goodvibes And alot of them are for a $1 off 1 product.

OK, and now a question.
Has anyone used your 75 cent swipe out on a higher priced product along with a coupon, resulting in 75 cents or less? Example: Product on sale say $1.50. I have a $1 coupon. So its just 50 cents when I swipe out on MC card. That should be allowed, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter