The “wet market”

A deer with CWD is blatantly obvious. Like you stated earlier, a hunter never eats meat from a sick animal. Same goes for fish.

According to several sources I've read, it can sometimes take a couple of months between the time of infection and the beginning of symptoms in deer. It's all too possible to get exposed to CWD in deer if you are counting on always being able to note visible symptoms. Hunters here are encouraged to test ALL taken deer before dressing out the carcass, and to be sure to wear gloves and goggles and to not butcher in the field without running water. Every hunter I know now keeps a couple of large tarps in the truck to wrap the carcass and take it to the testing station before dressing it. Same deal with guarding against Brucellosis from feral hogs (that one isn't as bad for humans because we can be treated, but it's always fatal to dogs.)

Last edited:
Is it time to break out the tin hats?

Zoonotic diseases (diseases that can affect both humans and animals) have been around for as long as people have walked upright.

Sometimes there are obvious signs of illness in the host animal (rabies)... and other times there are no signs (like salmonella in your pet turtle)

Anyone who works closely with animals is at risk for illness. THAT is why you were always told to wash your hands after playing with them or visiting a petting zoo. This is not new... or a conspiracy... it is called life in progress.

Edited to add: Farm Girl... Animal Shelter Worker... Stable Hand...and now a PhD researcher/professor in Molecular and Cellular Biology

Last edited:
2.2 million deaths per year and 2.2 billion illnesses per year (from your chart) from zoonatic diseases and we’re shutting the Global economy over 65 thousand Deaths globally?
Doesn’t take a Ph.D. To figure out how insane that is.

Last edited:
I think many Americans would become vegetarians if they saw the conditions in many meat packing plants.
Not pleasant for sure. But Lord knows, look at all the e-coli issues we have had in recent years with our produce! I'll take my chances with meat thank you. And I love leafy green veggies, but they can kill you!

2.2 million deaths per year and 2.2 billion illnesses per year (from your chart) from zoonatic diseases and we’re shutting the Global economy over 65 thousand Deaths globally?
Doesn’t take a Ph.D. To figure out how insane that is.
I am not an epidemiologist by any means, nor an economist... and I also have the luxury of being able to teach my classes online without disruption (at this time) to my pay, so I am not going to speak to if this is smart from either an infectious disease or economic end. Since I am not out of a job it is easy for me to agree with STAY HOME AND CLOSE EVERYTHING.

But as to the numbers.... there are a lot of diseases lumped into that 2.2 billion... whereas Covid-19 is a single disease capable of causing a lot of deaths in a very short time.

Remember too, some of those we have vaccines that have mitigated how serious they are... the deaths from rabies in the US is a lot different than deaths from rabies in other parts of the world without laws about how every dog MUST have a rabies tag. When we have a vaccine to Covid it will be a lot less serious.

Is it time to break out the tin hats?

Zoonotic diseases (diseases that can affect both humans and animals) have been around for as long as people have walked upright.

Sometimes there are obvious signs of illness in the host animal (rabies)... and other times there are no signs (like salmonella in your pet turtle)

Anyone who works closely with animals is at risk for illness. THAT is why you were always told to wash your hands after playing with them or visiting a petting zoo. This is not new... or a conspiracy... it is called life in progress.

View attachment 485828

Edited to add: Farm Girl... Animal Shelter Worker... Stable Hand...and now a PhD researcher/professor in Molecular and Cellular Biology
:thanks:Thank you - this is extremely interesting and informative and while I totally get that even those with professional credentials are reluctant to speak authoritatively, I respect and appreciate any educated opinion. :flower3:

One thing immediately caught my eye here - maybe you can explain? Lyme disease is transmissible from dogs to humans?!? I know a person who has died from Lyme and another who is living with the life-altering, horrible consequences of the chronic form. It's very "political" in Canada and it's next to impossible to get a firm diagnosis in time for early intervention, especially if you self-report not having been exposed to ticks. The idea that a domestic animal could be a vector is mind-blowing.

TIA

:thanks:Thank you - this is extremely interesting and informative and while I totally get that even those with professional credentials are reluctant to speak authoritatively, I respect and appreciate any educated opinion. :flower3:

One thing immediately caught my eye here - maybe you can explain? Lyme disease is transmissible from dogs to humans?!? I know a person who has died from Lyme and another who is living with the life-altering, horrible consequences of the chronic form. It's very "political" in Canada and it's next to impossible to get a firm diagnosis in time for early intervention, especially if you self-report not having been exposed to ticks. The idea that a domestic animal could be a vector is mind-blowing.

TIA
in some of these diseases other animals are the vector... like a mosquito (West Nile).. or in this case of Lyme, the tick. It is the Lyme that affects both humans and dogs not as much as you catch Lyme from the dog. Someone else stated this earlier, but they are not always equally harmful. Transmission can vary too... contact with feces... salivia like rabies, it depends on what the particular 'icky' is.... as these zoonoitc diseases can be bacterial... viral... fungal... or even things like single cell protozoa which I think is Giardia.

in some of these diseases other animals are the vector... like a mosquito (West Nile).. or in this case of Lyme, the tick. It is the Lyme that affects both humans and dogs not as much as you catch Lyme from the dog. Someone else stated this earlier, but they are not always equally harmful. Transmission can vary too... contact with feces... salivia like rabies, it depends on what the particular 'icky' is.... as these zoonoitc diseases can be bacterial... viral... fungal... or even things like single cell protozoa which I think is Giardia.

If you're talking protozoan parasites, cryptosporidium is particularly nasty. It's pretty easy to filter out or even kill in its regular form, but cysts need to be filtered or take hours to kill with most chemical treatments. Still - they're not quite viruses, where there's a genetic component and where most tend to affect a narrow range of species. They affect almost anything.

If you're talking protozoan parasites, cryptosporidium is particularly nasty. It's pretty easy to filter out or even kill in its regular form, but cysts need to be filtered or take hours to kill with most chemical treatments. Still - they're not quite viruses, where there's a genetic component and where most tend to affect a narrow range of species. They affect almost anything.
Yes, those protozoa are single cell organisms made out of one complete cell (Eukaryotic) with all the cell organelles, a nucleus and chromosomes. often associated with water.. soil... why you are not supposed to drink the nice stream water no mater how hot you are without filtering it LOL

Bacteria are a simpler kind of cell (Prokaryotic), no organelles, but still a complete cell with a chromosome.

Viruses are kind of in a grey area... they are alive, but are not cells. A virus is a tiny bit of genetic material (DNA or RNA) that is surrounded by a coating. They are a parasite that needs a cell to reproduce. They can infect plant cells, bacterial cells, and animal cells like our cells too.

Not pleasant for sure. But Lord knows, look at all the e-coli issues we have had in recent years with our produce! I'll take my chances with meat thank you. And I love leafy green veggies, but they can kill you!
But it’s usually contaminated because of near by animal agriculture run off, it’s coming from animal feces
Yes. Produce eaten raw doesn’t have a kill step.

I think I had e coli from ground beef. It was that small outbreak a year or two ago that barely made the news until after I had it. I know where it came from. But, it didn't make the news fast enough. I don't think the FDA ever even said where it was coming from. But I think I know. I think they didn't want to offend a company by making any blame.

Anyhow, about those wet markets. And about other accusations like it came from here. Well I don't believe one thing I hear from China! Culture or not that doesn't make things all right. In some cultures women are property with no rights. They can be beaten and raped or sold or married off. And even worse! By some culture having slaves was okay. I don't think culture makes things okay. I always hate when somebody says that.

Last edited:
Just to clear up the record as well here, the purveyor of that video iI posted I s in no way a “sex tourist”. He’s a cool guy from upstate New York, (home of some of the nicest people I know (outside the Midwest) who lived and worked in China for ten years, married to a Chinese national with a kid, so that comment was wholly inappropriate. I follow him and he usually posts about motorcycle trips throughout China but became more and more disenchanted with the CCP (I wonder why) over the years and last I checked he’s back in US with his wife and kid.

Yes, those protozoa are single cell organisms made out of one complete cell (Eukaryotic) with all the cell organelles, a nucleus and chromosomes. often associated with water.. soil... why you are not supposed to drink the nice stream water no mater how hot you are without filtering it LOL

Bacteria are a simpler kind of cell (Prokaryotic), no organelles, but still a complete cell with a chromosome.

Viruses are kind of in a grey area... they are alive, but are not cells. A virus is a tiny bit of genetic material (DNA or RNA) that is surrounded by a coating. They are a parasite that needs a cell to reproduce. They can infect plant cells, bacterial cells, and animal cells like our cells too.

Yeah - but viruses tend to specialize in terms of species they infect. But not Covid-19.

I remember back in my backpacking days I got a water filter to filter out various water sources - usually a stream or spring. I never actually used it, but used chemicals that made the water taste funky. If I was using it to cook then I didn't have to worry about it since the heat killed off everything. The water filter was rated for filtering out bacteria, protozoans, and cysts, but not viruses. I remember there was a "purifier" additive to add after the filtration that would kill viruses, and it was simply bleach. But viruses are much smaller and will get through the filters.

Yeah - but viruses tend to specialize in terms of species they infect. But not Covid-19.

I remember back in my backpacking days I got a water filter to filter out various water sources - usually a stream or spring. I never actually used it, but used chemicals that made the water taste funky. If I was using it to cook then I didn't have to worry about it since the heat killed off everything. The water filter was rated for filtering out bacteria, protozoans, and cysts, but not viruses. I remember there was a "purifier" additive to add after the filtration that would kill viruses, and it was simply bleach. But viruses are much smaller and will get through the filters.
Yes, virus are very small, smaller than bacteria. We tend to think of them as all bad, but the reality is you have lots of 'good' viruses that are an important part of you.... part of what we call the microbiome... the bacteria, viruses, yeast and fungi that are beneficial and part of keeping you healthy, especially when it comes to your intestines and digestive system.

Yes, virus are very small, smaller than bacteria. We tend to think of them as all bad, but the reality is you have lots of 'good' viruses that are an important part of you.... part of what we call the microbiome... the bacteria, viruses, yeast and fungi that are beneficial and part of keeping you healthy, especially when it comes to your intestines and digestive system.

Yeah - but when you're out in the middle of the Yosemite backcountry it's probably better not to drink untreated or unfiltered water. For the most part the advice was that filtration was enough because viruses weren't really an issue in the water. But giardiasis happens enough.

I haven't heard of too many cases of cryptosporidiosis in the backcountry. That seems to be more of an issue when there's cattle near any water sources. Some of our nearby reservoirs are close to cattle grazing land, so I hear they get really careful about where cattle are allowed, just in case the runoff goes into the reservoir.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter