Sistah Twistah - A January Dining Review- Updated- 6/25 - COMPLETE!!!

I've never been to a sushi place in Tel Aviv so I wouldn't know but I enjoy the Jerusalem sushi if only because I don't have any other options :D
We used to have Sakura which was most definitely not kosher AT ALL and was very good but they recently closed down :( And now we have the "Sushiya" which is by no means quality sushi but it's ok if you're really craving shrimp maki ;)
Do you live here or were you just visiting??
OMG run to Fu! It's the best in TLV and I am a total sushi snob. In Jerusalem, I used to go to Sushi Rahavea which is so-so (and kosher). I believe I've been to Sushiya too - is that the one that used to be near the old Adom location? Sorry the names are not coming to me lol But I generally steered clear of sushi in Jerusalem as there are much better food choices, IMO.

I lived there for 3 years but have been back in the US for the last 2 so its been a while since I've been to these places

I've read many 'Ohana reviews here on the DIS and it seems hit or miss to most people. But I have different expectations from my meals and so enjoyed it very much (not too long before I post my actual review!)
I think it's definitely worth the experience! :)
Great! I'm looking forward to it!!

OMG run to Fu! It's the best in TLV and I am a total sushi snob. In Jerusalem, I used to go to Sushi Rahavea which is so-so (and kosher). I believe I've been to Sushiya too - is that the one that used to be near the old Adom location? Sorry the names are not coming to me lol But I generally steered clear of sushi in Jerusalem as there are much better food choices, IMO.

I lived there for 3 years but have been back in the US for the last 2 so its been a while since I've been to these places
Next time I'm in TLV I'll make sure to stop at Fu ;)
Sushiya is on Hillel street in the center of town. Tiny place. I'm not sure if they were ever in a different location.
And Sushi Rehavia is now a franchise and they're doing very well. There aren't many places that rival them nowadays. I find them pretty good but they've raised the prices like crazy! :sad2:
Next time you're in Israel we should say hi! :D

Great! I'm looking forward to it!!
Very soon!! :-)

When we were called in, they showed us to our table all the way inside the restaurant, up the stairs and... by the window!!!! With a view of the Magic Kingdom!!!

Lucky you!!!!!!!

To the left of the green tree you will find some polenta with short ribs. Come to momma! This was delicious! Both the polenta and the ribs and the sauce was just yummy!

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBS!!!!!!!!! :love:

Ribs in mango sauce? Why is this not in my pictures?? How could I have not tasted this?? I feel so ashamed! I've let down all the carnivores of the world :sad2:

o_O I have no words.........:sad2:

Our server came to us when we finished and asked us if we met all the characters, I saw that they did that with all tabels and I think that's really nice and thoughtful (considering what Deedee said about them just passing us or not showing at all).

That's really great that they do this. Especially considering I am traveling solo and have some character meals planned.

Love your character pics. Too bad about dessert though. At least you hade those ribs....

Love all the reviews! We may actually be staying in a moderate in February (if I get registered for a race), so I'm looking forward to some make your own pasta!

Love love love that puzzle - how do you frame them? This is something I keep thinking about doing, but I haven't been totally sure how to deal with the puzzle once it's completed.

An Update! YAY!!!!!!!!!!
We both ordered the rack of ribs and onion rings and then one of us got a drink and the other got a lime mousse to split. (This was considered 2 QS meals on the DDP and we once again bumped into a CM that did not know how to exchange the drinks/snacks but did managed to in the end.)

View attachment 160450

Full Slab of St. Louis Ribs - $19.99

"accompanied by our special recipe, Slowly-baked Beans, refreshing Coleslaw, and Jalapeño Cornbread"

Yum! The ribs were much better than the ones we had at Cosmic Ray's. They were possibly fresher since this was very early in the day and Cosmic Ray's was almost at closing time. The seasoning was better and the meat was more moist. (Ok, I just found another page of notes on this meal and apparently the second half of my ribs was pretty dry. Hmph.)
I loved the beans!!!! I would have bought a can of them if they sold them there.. :-) Shira thought they were just ok (maybe too sweet) and ended up giving them to me. (Yes!!!)
She didn't try the cornbread but I did. At first I didn't really like it but it grew on me and though I didn't finish it, I did end up liking it.

As for the onion rings....

View attachment 160448

Onion Ring Basket - $3.99

These were delicious!!!! Totally worth the hype and we were so glad we got to try them! The portion was HUGE and we totally could have split one.
As a side note: I can't believe I keep writing stuff like that. "We could have split one"??? When other DISers write things like that on their reviews I go "Pshaw! The fools! Noobs! I could have finished all of that and gotten another one!" :snooty:
But here I am, writing the same thing :sad2: Unbelievable.
My sincere and humble apologies to all DISers whom I mentally made fun of for not finishing their food or saying the portions were too big.

So the onion ring portions were huge. Yes, we could have split one. Neither of us finished anything on our plates (except the beans which I almost licked clean)
Oh, and I don't remember getting any coleslaw, BTW o_O
Is that a "full slab of ribs?" it looks like 4 ribs total... which would probably be plenty for a meal but maybe not enough to share and certainly not worth $20? Just curious so I know what to expect, it does not look like the picture on the menu!

Love all the reviews! We may actually be staying in a moderate in February (if I get registered for a race), so I'm looking forward to some make your own pasta!
Thanks! I stayed at Coronado two years ago (moderate) and loved it but I can't recall any make your own pasta there. Either way try to find time to hop over to AoA- the resort is gorgeous and the food court is great!

Love love love that puzzle - how do you frame them? This is something I keep thinking about doing, but I haven't been totally sure how to deal with the puzzle once it's completed.
Isn't it pretty?? :love: My apartment is full of framed Disney puzzles! When a puzzle is done I use a special puzzle glue on both sides of it. Sometimes more than one coat. Then I take 'em over to my frame guy and he does the rest.
So far I've got 6 small 500 piece ones hanging + one 1000 piece Beauty and the Beast one which I'm in love with. Then I've got the one in the picture here + another 1000 piece one + 2 small 500 piece ones all waiting to be framed. I'm out of glue so that'll have to wait. AND I'm in the middle of another 1000 piece castle one. :goodvibes Some people like taking them apart to put together again later but I just like to frame them :)

Is that a "full slab of ribs?" it looks like 4 ribs total... which would probably be plenty for a meal but maybe not enough to share and certainly not worth $20? Just curious so I know what to expect, it does not look like the picture on the menu!
Y'know, you're right. That's weird- it really does look small for a $20 meal. Maybe we got the 1/2 slab? But why would we do that? Makes no sense at all! The full slab should also be on the DDP so we would have gotten that.
Sorry I've got nothing. I'm hoping to be there again in a few months so I'll let you know ;)

Y'know, you're right. That's weird- it really does look small for a $20 meal. Maybe we got the 1/2 slab? But why would we do that? Makes no sense at all! The full slab should also be on the DDP so we would have gotten that.
Sorry I've got nothing. I'm hoping to be there again in a few months so I'll let you know ;)
I think you definitely need to investigate!

And now it's (almost) time for...... 50's Prime Time Cafe!!!!!

It's Sunday, January 24th and it's our Hollywood Studios day!
We had a lunch ADR for 12:20 so we roamed the park first. I think my favorite has gotta be The Great Movie Ride. It was Shira's first time- I think she liked it :)
Very close by they had a little cart selling churros. Shira decided to use a snack credit on one but when she approached the cart, the CM's gave it to her FOR FREE for her birthday!!!

16 HS Churro.jpg

Ok, I'm pretty sure this isn't our picture so thank you to whoever provided this.
I think Shira wasn't that impressed with the churro itself but she was overjoyed with the awesome pixie dust!

Now let's head on to the more important stuff. Like lunch!

17 50s Prime time (6).jpg

It's amazing how I never noticed any of the restaurants before actually looking for them!

Of course we arrived early. Because I like getting places early and also because it's food we're talking about. Our ADR was for 12:20 but we showed up at 12:00.
It was packed in there!!! We couldn't even find seats in the "living room" so we stood around waiting. I really enjoyed taking in all the decor and all the details! I would have preferred sitting but all in all I didn't mind waiting around for them to call us.
Here are some pictures so you can see what it looks like inside:

17 50s Prime time (11).jpg

This is where we stood waiting ^^^
The tiny TV on the shelf was playing cartoons and some kids eventually sat down on the floor to watch. It was fun!

This is the bar which is located in the waiting area itself. It didn't look too comfy sitting there with so many people around:

17 50s Prime time (10).jpg

This is right at the border between wait area and tables:

17 50s Prime time (7).JPG

17 50s Prime time (9).JPG

And some pictures of the restaurant tables which I found too cool:

17 50s Prime time (5).jpg

17 50s Prime time (8).JPG

17 50s Prime time (12).jpg

It was cute how they call you "kids" and let you know lunch is ready :-) I also loved the CM's outfits!

Ok, so too many pictures for one post- I'll be right back with the food :cloud9:

And now for the FOOD!

I can't for the life of me remember our server's name. He was cute. Tried to be funny but I personally found him kind of lame. He didn't scold us at all!
He was very talkative and made jokes the whole time. It was us and a few other tables in this one room and he went around talking to everyone together which kind of left us no choice but to engage in conversation with the other tables. Not much but I still would have liked a bit more privacy and less forced chatting. It was different at Biergarten and even at Nine Dragons when we had conversations with our table mates or neighbors. This felt forced- maybe because I didn't really enjoy his sense of humor. Also, it became very noisy after a while with him talking so much and making the other tables laugh o_O
Because of my surgery I find it hard to eat when I can't concentrate on my food. I kind of prefer to be left alone...
And just to be clear, I thought I knew what to expect with the servers scolding and everything but this surprised me. It kind of felt like he was trying too hard.
That being said he was still very friendly and I had no problem with the service itself.

First we ordered drinks. He threw a bunch of straws at us and that surprised me too because I read that's the kind of thing they do at Whispering Canyon, not 50's Prime Time.
Oh well *shrug*

17 50s Prime time (13).jpg

We also HAD to order a milkshake- no, not the PB&J because Shira's not really into that. We got a cookies and cream milkshake and that was fantastic!

17 50s Prime time (14).jpg

Cookies and Cream Milkshake - $6
This wasn't included on the DDP as a drink, by the way, but our server comped it saying something about how it's not usually included but it's ok (or something) and so we didn't pay for it at all!

For her entree, Shira got the sampling:

17 50s Prime time (1).jpg

A Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes - $23
"Golden-fried Chicken, Fork Tender Pot Roast, and Traditional Meatloaf with all the fixings"

She loved it! And it was a LOT of food! I also tried some of her food and it was very good, I was impressed with how soft the meat was!

But, as I'm not a big fan of pot roast or meatloaf, I got me the chicken!!

17 50s Prime time (15).jpg

This was also a lot of food! Shira got most of my corn and some of my chicken. But I'm pretty sure I finished all my mashed potatoes on my own :cheer2:
Wow, yummy. I actually have some chicken in the fridge but I'm too lazy to fry it... :rotfl:

For our desserts (we were so full but there was no way we were passing up on dessert) we got:

17 50s Prime time (2).jpg

Dad's Brownie Sunday - $6.5
"Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream, Hot Fudge, Caramel Sauce, Whipped Cream, and Toppings"

And

17 50s Prime time (3).jpg

Traditional Warm Apple Crisp À la Mode - $8

I chose the sundae because I saw another table get it and it looked AMAZING. I mean, chocolate, fudge, whipped cream... Where can you go wrong??
Shira surprised me and ordered the apple crisp. I'm not normally a big fan of apple desserts (too much fruit :laughing: ) but this was incredible!!!!
We shared both desserts and I have to admit I'm not even 100% sure my brownie sundae won the competition!
The crisp was hot and sweet and crispy and hit the spot. Especially with the ice cream!
The brownie sundae was also incredible! Just maybe a little heavy after such a big meal (including the milkshake!) Still- I'd probably get both again even if I'm dining solo! :goodvibes

Last but not least (almost forgot!) our server came out with the traditional birthday cupcake for Shira:

17 50s Prime time (4).jpg

I think he said it was cupcake day/week/month and also possibly pyro day/week/month :D Note all the candles! (Which were lit when he brought it out of course!)
There was absolutely no need for another cupcake after all that ( :crazy2: ) but it was really sweet of him to bring it out :rolleyes:

All in all- a wonderful meal! This will definitely be on my list for next time!!!!

Next up some Hollywood Studios snacks and then......... (FINALLY) 'Ohana for dinner!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention that our ADR at 50's was for 12:20 and we were seated at 12:25 so not bad!!

Now I'm gonna go ahead and finish up our Hollywood Studios day :-)

Later on while waiting for Beauty and the Beast to start we both figured on some savory snacks to keep us full until our dinner ressie at 'Ohana.

I chose popcorn which was great but nothing too special:

18 HS snacks (2).jpg

(This picture is mostly of me but at least the popcorn is kind of showing if you look really closely)

And Shira got herself a Mickey pretzel. Now when I say "got herself"... what I really mean is.... she got it for free again!!!!
Geez, these Hollywood Studios CM's are really friendly, huh? o_O

18 HS snacks (1).jpg

Lucky girl! This quickly became Shira's favorite park! I wonder why!

Skipping on to later that evening while waiting for Fantasmic to start, Shira decided to give her snack credit one last chance and this time they actually let her use it.
(Maybe because it was dark and they didn't notice her birthday pin!)

19 HS snacks.jpg

She got the nachos and cheese which I enjoyed more than she did, I think.
The cheese was that plastic stuff that I thought I loved but kind of disappointed this trip and the nachos were just regular chips from a bag.
I must admit the cheese was REALLY salty and not that great at all! But I ate most of it waiting for the show to start. We were freezing out there :scared: (And as any food lover knows- eating is a cure for anything, including cold weather.)

That's it for Hollywood Studios! Thanks for joining in and drooling along with me!
Next up really is 'Ohana- I promise! :D

I've never done Prime Time and I wonder why.... I think we thought about it at one point but decided against it because of the scolding? Idk. Food looks good though!

Loving the pixie dust for Shira's birthday!!

Woo-hoo for all of Shira's pixie dust snacks! The birthday/pyro cupcake is hilarious!

Our server at 50'sPT only gave us a little bit of grief (my husband and not eating all of his veggies), but I was ALL about that fried chicken. Delightful!

(Psst - we are leaving for WDW tonight!)

I've never done Prime Time and I wonder why.... I think we thought about it at one point but decided against it because of the scolding? Idk. Food looks good though!

Loving the pixie dust for Shira's birthday!!
I read somewhere that you can tell them you're not interested in playing along (being scolded or whatever) so maybe it's worth a shot. I would think if you have an ADR you should just mention it to the CM's when you check in.
The food was really great and plentiful and if you like home-style food you should definitely give it a shot!

Woo-hoo for all of Shira's pixie dust snacks! The birthday/pyro cupcake is hilarious!

Our server at 50'sPT only gave us a little bit of grief (my husband and not eating all of his veggies), but I was ALL about that fried chicken. Delightful!

(Psst - we are leaving for WDW tonight!)
Yeah, the pyro cupcake was really funny. We weren't the only table who got it- apparently there were quite a few birthdays in our little section and he made the same jokes for each of them :rotfl:
I can't believe you're on your way there!!!!!!!!!!! Can we expect a DR when you get back?? ::yes::
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter