Sistah Twistah - A January Dining Review- Updated- 6/25 - COMPLETE!!!

Thanks for all your reviews. I'm still just getting caught up. Love the food pics! (They look like they were taken with the good camera to me.) :)

Really enjoying your reviews and looking forward to more! We were at Pop at the same time as you and I'm positive I saw you and your sister in the food court. It's a small world after all.

Now you'll probably have that song in your head all day. You're welcome. :duck:

thanks again for your review on Ohana..we went there the first week of May and we were HUNGRY...thank goodness...we had a great wait person Cathy was her name and she kept on bringing the meat and the shrimp...the meat was fork tender..and you are right..just waiting for that DESSERT...omgoodness it was beyond words...just the groan can be heard around the world...thanks again for your reviews
Thanks Pumba- 'Ohana was definitely our best meal of the trip! (And I know I have to finish up- i'ts been over 3 months!! :blush: )

Thanks for all your reviews. I'm still just getting caught up. Love the food pics! (They look like they were taken with the good camera to me.) :)
Thanks, I'm so glad you have the time to catch up! Especially since I haven't been updating lately! :faint: The pictures were just my plain old phone but I tried really hard to get them to look good :D

Really enjoying your reviews and looking forward to more! We were at Pop at the same time as you and I'm positive I saw you and your sister in the food court. It's a small world after all.

Now you'll probably have that song in your head all day. You're welcome. :duck:
Whaaaat you saw us at Pop?? :jumping1: That's too cool!!!!
And yes, thank you so much for getting that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day! :rotfl2:

I just found your reviews and I love them!
You are so much fun! And I love your review style.
Thanks for sharing!

Wow! Loved your story telling and the dining reviews.
I just binge-read it in preparation for my August trip.
I need to try that picnic burger. We're going to Ohana and I can't wait!

Eta to add- you and Shira are so cute!

Wow! Loved your story telling and the dining reviews.
I just binge-read it in preparation for my August trip.
I need to try that picnic burger. We're going to Ohana and I can't wait!

Eta to add- you and Shira are so cute!
So glad to have you here! I haven't updated in nearly a month but you're right on time because I just sat down to (finally!) write another post!!! :D

Hiya everyone!
It seems that life can be overwhelming sometimes and the more time that passes from the trip the harder it is to find the time for new posts...
But I'm glad to say I missed everyone and will enjoy uploading more yummy food pictures!

So today is Monday, January 25th (I had to look that up..) and it's another Magic Kingdom day for us!
Before we head over to our lunch ADR at Tony's, Shira chose her snack for the day:

21 MK Funnel Cake.jpg

A funnel cake! For it to be considered a snack credit, you can only get it with powdered sugar. Anything with toppings would have to be OOP.
She was debating between the funnel cake and a waffle and although she (or rather 'we') enjoyed the funnel cake, she thinks she would have enjoyed the waffle more.
Too much powdered sugar for my taste, by the way. I would have blown everything off before eating.. ;)

And now, to our delicious lunch at Tony's Town Square Restaurant!!!!

I'd been craving Italian since we got to WDW and we hadn't had a TS meal in the park yet so I was pretty excited!

First of all, the interior is beautiful! My first thought when we stepped in was 'wow, it's so well lit!'

22 Tonys (2).jpg

We arrived 2 minutes late to our 1:30 pm ADR. After checking in, we sat down to wait.
5 minutes later we were called and ready to be seated.

22 Tonys (3).jpg

22 Tonys (4).jpg

The second picture is the view from our table. We got to sit in the outer room, overlooking Main Street. I'm glad we were seated there because the inner room seemed really dark compared to the beautiful sunlit room we were in.

I'm sorry to say we once again had a VERY slow server. It took her ages to come by, take our drink order, bring anything to our table.. It also seemed she forgot some of our requests throughout the meal..
Luckily the food made up for it!

To start, we ordered the zucchini fries OOP:

22 Tonys (6).jpg

Zucchini Fries - $11
"Breaded seasoned Zucchini with creamy Sun-dried Tomato Dressing for dipping"

These were obviously made fresh and were delicious. I don't know that I'd order them again simply because they were a bit pricey, but I'm glad we splurged.

We were also brought some bread that was included with the meal:

22 Tonys (5).jpg

I'm not sure what type of bread this was. It was pretty good except for the fact that it had some sort of whole seeds in it that didn't really do it for me. I tried to avoid them and all was well.

(By the way, note the beautiful photos! That's just because there was so much light in the room!)

For our main courses:

22 Tonys (7).jpg

Spaghetti - $21
"served with Meatballs and Marinara Sauce"

Shira took the spaghetti and meatballs.
This was a smaller portion than expected- maybe it's meant as a kid's meal..? There were only two meatballs (big but still..) and the sauce was ok. Pretty standard tomato sauce.
All in all it was good but I personally wouldn't order it. Shira was a bit limited since a lot of the menu is seafood and pork. Our server was also shocked when she refused some Parmesan cheese on top :)

I ordered the shrimp scampi:

22 Tonys (8).jpg

Shrimp Scampi - $24
"Linguini Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Asparagus tossed in a Garlic Sauce"

Oh Lordy, this was soooo good!!!!
There was plenty of shrimp, the flavor was delicious and the portion was very nice.
I would definitely order this again!
Oh, and I certainly agreed to some Parmesan cheese of course :D (Duh!)

Before we get to dessert, I should also mention that Shira requested apple juice as her drink. Our server said something about it not being on the DDP (actually, it was strange, she said something about being able to get one glass but no free refills on the DDP and yet she seemed unsure if we could even get the one glass... :confused3 ) but she did end up bringing one apple juice out. Never heard of a drink being on the DDP but with no refills. I thought it either was included or it wasn't. Anyone ever had that before?

Well, onto dessert:

22 Tonys (9).jpg

Tiramisú - $8
"Kahlúa Espresso-soaked Lady Fingers and Whipped Mascarpone topped with Mocha Cream"

I don't like anything coffee, but I tried some and it was surprisingly good!
Shira very much enjoyed this.

22 Tonys (1).jpg

This was a pistachio crème brûlée but it's no longer coming up on their menu (????)
It was incredible!!! I enjoyed every bite! Except for the one Shira had, but she enjoyed it instead of me.. ::yes::
If it's back on the menu next time I'm there, you can bet I'll choose it again!

Some final words on Tony's-
I've read so many reviews and heard a lot of complaints. People say it's "meh" and compare it to The Olive Garden.
Well, I've never been to The Olive Garden, so maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much :-)
As with all Disney restaurants (and life in general), it's all a matter of expectations. We had a really great time there and enjoyed the food very much. I would definitely recommend Tony's even though I understand it's not a high-end restaurant.
I'll be going back for sure!

Next up- a couple of MK snacks and then our Disney Springs day!

Ok, might as well post another update since I'm still here :D

This one's fairly short.

We finished lunch at Tony's and spent the rest of the day in the park.
Later in the afternoon, I figured we'd mark a couple more OOP items off our "to eat list".

We settled down at the
Friar's Nook.

I was dying to try the pot roast mac and cheese and Shira went off in search of a turkey leg.

23 MK snacks (1).jpg

Pot Roast Macaroni & Cheese - $8.99

Ok. A few things:

• Never again.
  • This was way too big for me. From other DRs that I read it seemed smaller. I should have checked to see if there was a kids' portion.
  • The mac & cheese had a really strong flavor that would have been ok for a small portion, but this was a bit much. (Which unfortunately once again disproves my saying that I LOVE mac & cheese. But I really do!) The pot roast thankfully kind of evened it out a bit.
  • The pot roast itself was a bit bland. I wouldn't enjoy it on its own.
  • This was a bit expensive considering it's mostly standard macaroni and cheese.
  • That being said, I probably should have taken the BBQ chicken version even though it cost a tiny bit more.
  • All in all- a surprising disappointment. :sad2:

Shira eventually found her turkey leg and joined me outside of the Friar's Nook.

23 MK snacks (2).jpg

I had to pose with it :D
It was like being Fred Flintstone :rotfl:

Another surprise!
Shira was the one who put it on her "to eat" list but I enjoyed it more than her! To me the turkey legs always looked kind of dry (silly me) but it was surprisingly moist and delicious!
It was also salty, maybe too salty? And very messy to eat like that in the middle of the park with not enough napkins and people walking by...
I think I'll have to get one of my own next time I'm there!

We were still full in the evening so we skipped dinner ( :confused: )

My next post (hopefully soon) will be at Disney Springs!
Wolfgang Puck Express, T-Rex and a short stop at Ghirardelli! :cheer2:

Glad to see you liked Tony's...we are in the minority here that also like Tony's!!! And the Shrimp Scampi is my favorite there!!!

Oh, and apple juice is covered on the DDP but none of the juices are available with free refills...that is only for soft drinks/tea/coffee kind of things.

I am loving your dining report!

The only things we have consistently enjoyed at Tony's over the years are the zucchini fries and the pistachio crème brulee. Very sad to hear it is no longer on the menu. I love the theming of the restaurant but we have had very mixed leaning towards the negative experiences over the years.

I agree about the pot roast mac & cheese. We tried it once, enjoyed about 1/3 of it and that was enough for us.

Looking forward to more!

I'm not a big fan of pesto but we're on ok terms. (Hi pesto!) :wave2:

I am so glad to have found your reviews!...too adorable! And I was so happy to see that I am not the only ones who thinks the bread at OHANA is not mouth worthy! :sick: (I wish they had the Kona bread next door! ::yes::...THAT is some yummy bread!)

Glad to see you liked Tony's...we are in the minority here that also like Tony's!!! And the Shrimp Scampi is my favorite there!!!

Oh, and apple juice is covered on the DDP but none of the juices are available with free refills...that is only for soft drinks/tea/coffee kind of things.

I am loving your dining report!
Yes! Shrimp Scampi! Yum!!!
And thanks for explaining about the juice. Our server just seemed like we'd asked for the wrong thing... o_O
Glad you're here!! :flower3:

The only things we have consistently enjoyed at Tony's over the years are the zucchini fries and the pistachio crème brulee. Very sad to hear it is no longer on the menu. I love the theming of the restaurant but we have had very mixed leaning towards the negative experiences over the years.

I agree about the pot roast mac & cheese. We tried it once, enjoyed about 1/3 of it and that was enough for us.

Looking forward to more!
I've heard a lot about the zucchini fries- that's probably what got me to splurge on them. And they really were good but it was a fairly small portion for a price tag I wouldn't pay again. (Although, who knows :rolleyes: )
I'm glad you agree about the mac and cheese. It was the great reviews (and my love of all things cheese) that got me to order them so it's good to know I'm not alone...

I am so glad to have found your reviews!...too adorable! And I was so happy to see that I am not the only ones who thinks the bread at OHANA is not mouth worthy! :sick: (I wish they had the Kona bread next door! ::yes::...THAT is some yummy bread!)
:welcome: So glad you're here!
It took me nearly a month to update last time but I'm hoping to be better and get the rest done quickly! :-)

Can't believe I'm actually doing this, but here I am again for my third update today!
It was a holiday here today so I got up late and now I'm not tired enough to go to sleep just yet... (But of course that won't stop me from being tired tomorrow morning!) :crazy2:

Tuesday, January 26th, our Disney Springs day!

Before having any food, we walked around through some stores first. (I mean, we're here to eat, but we're also here to shop!)

We found this hilarious little item at Disney's Days of Christmas (how ironic :laughing: )

1 (2).jpg

I was so tempted to buy this but I knew I'd have no use for them- they'd just sit around, packaged, waiting for me to open them..

Anyway, to more important things. Like food!
After checking out a few menus in our area, we settled on brunch at Wolfgang Puck Express.
I read a lot about how this was a great place to use a QS credit and indeed it was!

Shira had her eye on the waffles but we arrived at 11:10 and they were no longer serving them... :sad2:

So instead, she got the ravioli:

24 WGPE (3).jpg

Ravioli - $15
"Ricotta Cheese, Basil and Tomato Cream Sauce"

There were about 6-7 nice size raviolis in there. They were very good if nothing special.
She also got a coffee and a brownie. I never took a picture of our desserts, but they were packaged snacks and we ate them sometime in the future. I actually took my rice crispies treat (spoiler!) home to Israel and had it in my living room! :-)

Our drinks:

24 WGPE (2).jpg

I got a Cherry Coke.
I gotta say, I wasn't really clear on the drink policy there. The drinks were served to us, as was everything else, so we weren't sure if we could just go refill them ourselves or not. (I think we did! :ssst: )

For my entree I got the BBQ chicken pizza:

24 WGPE (1).jpg

Barbecued Chicken Pizza - $14.5
"Smoked Mozzarella, Cilantro and Carmalized Onions"

Wow!
First of all, this thing was huge! Not the size of a family-size Domino's pizza, but certainly big enough for two people!
And it was excellent!!! Really delicious!! (I took all the cilantro off but that's just because I don't like greens decorating my food..)
The other pizzas they served there also looked excellent but I was really happy with my choice.

Oh, and apropos the mac and cheese from my previous post, the mac and cheese at WGPE looked incredible!!!
Someone at the table next to us ordered it and I was just sitting, staring at it over my pizza! And... they didn't even finish it! They just left it there! On the table! All on its little lonesome!
I was tempted to grab it before any of the servers came by. But I didn't of course. I would never take leftover food from another table. Of course not. Ha ha. :rolleyes1

Anyhoo.....
That was our delicious experience at Wolfgang Puck Express!
It was indeed excellent value and I would recommend it!

Up next, still full but got a lunch ADR at T-Rex!! :D

Mmmmm - that pizza from WPE looks delicious! I've been wanting to try a pizza there but I always order the Mac n cheese which is amazing and MUCH better than Friar's Nook!!

You were on a roll yesterday. weren't you?
Glad to see you had some time to update.

Too much powdered sugar for my taste, by the way. I would have blown everything off before eating.. ;)

I agree, looks like the cake is drowning in all that sugar. I mean, I love my sugar and all but even that is way too much

"Breaded seasoned Zucchini with creamy Sun-dried Tomato Dressing for dipping"

These were obviously made fresh and were delicious.

Hard to resist deep fried veggies. I definitely know how that feels like (but you'll have to wait till I get to that in my DR)!

Our server was also shocked when she refused some Parmesan cheese on top :)

This reminds me of a NY visit a few years ago, several months after I became non-observant. We went to an Italian restaurant in Manhattan for a siblings dinner. Now although they eat in non-kosher restaurants, they do not eat any meat or shellfish. But the pasta with meat sauce was calling my name so I just had to get it (I was a little hesitant but my BIL said to just go for it if that's what I wanted). When the server came with the parmesan of course I said YES! And even asked for extra. The looks of shock from my siblings though.....

23-mk-snacks-1-jpg.175024

Can barely make out the pasta with all that cheese! doesn't look all that appetizing

I had to pose with it :D
It was like being Fred Flintstone :rotfl:

:joker::rotfl:

(I could never understand their appeal, but glad you enjoyed it)

Before having any food, we walked around through some stores first. (I mean, we're here to eat, but we're also here to shop!)

YEP!

1-2-jpg.175101

I was so tempted to buy this but I knew I'd have no use for them- they'd just sit around, packaged, waiting for me to open them..

Cool! I'd be more tempted if they had pics of the actual characters on them.

This is the 2nd report I read this week that mentioned how great the BBQ pizza was. Looks sooo good!

Too much powdered sugar for my taste, by the way.

That's exactly how I feel about powdered sugar on my funnel cakes too! I always ask for just a tiny bit of it and still end up shaking some off before taking a bite.

All in all- a surprising disappointment.

You're not the first bad review of the pot roast mac n cheese I read :sad2:. I had been looking forward to this as a snack during our upcoming trip, btu now I'm not so sure.

It was like being Fred Flintstone

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My next post (hopefully soon) will be at Disney Springs!
Wolfgang Puck Express, T-Rex and a short stop at Ghirardelli!

Oh, yeah! We have an ADR at T-Rex so I can't wait to hear about your experience there.

Mmmmm - that pizza from WPE looks delicious! I've been wanting to try a pizza there but I always order the Mac n cheese which is amazing and MUCH better than Friar's Nook!!
Yeah, the mac and cheese looked more sophisticated at WPE. I'm gonna have to try it next time! (Oh gosh, it seems "next time" will be a culinary trip and I won't have any time for rides or anything except eating! :laughing: )

You were on a roll yesterday. weren't you?
Glad to see you had some time to update.
I was home for the holiday so I made sure to find time! ;)

I agree, looks like the cake is drowning in all that sugar. I mean, I love my sugar and all but even that is way too much
I blow the sugar off my sufganiyot too. Way too much :D

Hard to resist deep fried veggies. I definitely know how that feels like (but you'll have to wait till I get to that in my DR)!
Can't wait :cool1:

This reminds me of a NY visit a few years ago, several months after I became non-observant. We went to an Italian restaurant in Manhattan for a siblings dinner. Now although they eat in non-kosher restaurants, they do not eat any meat or shellfish. But the pasta with meat sauce was calling my name so I just had to get it (I was a little hesitant but my BIL said to just go for it if that's what I wanted). When the server came with the parmesan of course I said YES! And even asked for extra. The looks of shock from my siblings though.....
:rotfl: I'm glad you stayed true to yourself. It's really hard to change something as big as that and even harder to do it in front of other people who you know might not approve..
Oh my gosh, this reminds me- at my 30th birthday party someone mentioned a famous childhood story where I suggested lobster for dinner when we were living in NY. And then my BF, surrounded by my friends and family (and my mom!) asked, "I don't remember, did you end up trying lobster?" Oh. My. God. :faint: My mom knew by then that I wasn't observant but eating shellfish is a big leap from not waiting between meat and milk! I almost died. She tried to make light of it but I was so embarrassed and still mention it to him from time to time. "Hey, remember that time you outed me in front of my my mom and I almost died of embarrassment?" :headache:

Cool! I'd be more tempted if they had pics of the actual characters on them.
Yes, I agree! I think they looked nicer in the packaging..

This is the 2nd report I read this week that mentioned how great the BBQ pizza was. Looks sooo good!
It was excellent!!!! My next time there- another pizza, the mac and cheese, and maybe the bacon wrapped meatloaf cos that looked great too :D

You're not the first bad review of the pot roast mac n cheese I read :sad2:. I had been looking forward to this as a snack during our upcoming trip, btu now I'm not so sure.
I think maybe if you want to share it with a bunch of people it would be good. A few bites weren't bad, but as a meal it was too much. Also, even though I don't remember seeing it on their menu, I'd check if they have a smaller sized portion.

Oh, yeah! We have an ADR at T-Rex so I can't wait to hear about your experience there.
Awesome! Soon I hope. It was great! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter