Rumor: More discounts on the way??

Even though I didn't win anything during my trips, I liked the YOMD. It was nice to see people with their fastpasses.

But I do understand how some with small kids feel. I have teenagers so it didn't bother them. I don't think they even noticed anyone.

Add us to the no winner list too. We never even saw Dream Teams out and about. Obviously, they were because we saw tons of people with Dream Team Fast Passes.

I like the concept of the "Celebration" year, but like PP have stated what is the likelihood of someone going on their actual birthday. It is too bad they didn't offer all types of Celebrations such as honeymoons, anniversaries, graduations. I don't see the harm in them extending park admission for those reasons, being that the parties celebrating could provide the documentation of the celebration. I think people would jump at the chance for something like.

I loved YOAMD but we also won something almost daily on our trip. ;) I think the new promo is great for locals and seems to be geared towards them.

We tried REALLY, REALLY hard not to get our hopes up about getting a YOAMD 'prize', but somehow ended up feeling a little let down about it. Not that we expected it, but just before each trip we thought "I wonder if we will get something - anything". Not once did we win anything, and we usually went for two weeks at a time (in the parks nearly the whole time) -- BUT we still had FANTASTIC trips and wouldn't have changed a thing. I can see how people could feel left out, but for those that won - it must have been so exciting and magical!!

Interestingly enough, we did have surprises sprung on us at Universal, even though we only went a couple days. One time, DS9 said he wanted to go on ET, but the wait was really long so we were going to hold off. A cast member came over and took us to a back passageway (allowing us to get right on the ride). She then gave us some magic fastpasses for the rest of the day. It was soooooo cool, so I know how everyone must have felt!

I loved YOAMD but we also won something almost daily on our trip. ;) I think the new promo is great for locals and seems to be geared towards them.

I am also not a fan of YOAMD, especially when I read posts like this!

I start thinking, we're not cute enough, we're too old, we're too fat, we weren't Obama supporters, we don't have kids with us, maybe we should rent some for the next trip :thumbsup2 :lmao: ;)

I am also not a fan of YOAMD, especially when I read posts like this!

I start thinking, we're not cute enough, we're too old, we're too fat, we weren't Obama supporters, we don't have kids with us, maybe we should rent some for the next trip :thumbsup2 :lmao: ;)

This is a classic example of a FAILED marketing plan. When your appeal ends up alienating the majority of the very customer base you're trying to appeal to, GAME OVER. I'm in marketing for a Fortune 100 company, and there is no way this would have ever gotten out of a brainstorming session here.

You have disappointed kids, people second-guessing WHY their kids (or they themselves) didn't get picked, was it me? Am I not good enough? Then, "who do they think they ARE"? .... it goes downhill from there.

Not a good promo, IMO....oh, wait! I think Disney is still using this approach in their stinkin' PIN CODE department! Grrrrrrr......

This is a classic example of a FAILED marketing plan. When your appeal ends up alienating the majority of the very customer base you're trying to appeal to, GAME OVER. I'm in marketing for a Fortune 100 company, and there is no way this would have ever gotten out of a brainstorming session here.

You have disappointed kids, people second-guessing WHY their kids (or they themselves) didn't get picked, was it me? Am I not good enough? Then, "who do they think they ARE"? .... it goes downhill from there.

Not a good promo, IMO....oh, wait! I think Disney is still using this approach in their stinkin' PIN CODE department! Grrrrrrr......

Don't hold back your feelings about YOAMD, just let it all out! :rotfl2:

PS I agree with your stinkin' pin code assessment!:thumbsup2

I think this "failed marketing plan" speaks more to a fault with people than a fault with Disney. It is pretty sad when a company tries to do something like give away special little (and some not so little) prizes, and instead of people being excited, they get mad because they somehow think they deserve a to win.

You can't tell me that the majority of kids would even know about the YOAMD without their parents input.

I never thought I DESERVED to win, it was just human nature to be upset that I didn't win.

I never thought I DESERVED to win, it was just human nature to be upset that I didn't win.

::yes:: ::yes:: And it's pretty hard for kids not to notice the Dream Team. Matter of fact, I know I didn't mention anything to my kids about it, but they saw kids walking around with those lanyards and they saw the Dream Team at EE in AK.... it's not that anyone deserves to win, but these are kids, and kids get disappointed. Who wants to disappoint their young guests? Just not a good idea for a promotion, imo.

Not to mention the ADVERTISING. :rolleyes2

It would have been difficult for anyone's children to avoid the commercials at home, but then they were bombarded with it once arriving at the World. Children knew.

By the way, we never won anything either. We figured our family is just too large for Disney's model family.

Not to mention the ADVERTISING. :rolleyes2

It would have been difficult for anyone's children to avoid the commercials at home, but then they were bombarded with it once arriving at the World. Children knew.

By the way, we never won anything either. We figured our family is just too large for Disney's model family.

ACTUALLY - there was NO model family.
The two times we won dream fast passes it was just random. Once we happened to be in the pre-show room for test track (Me, dh, SIL, her two kids and 4 of mine), and the other time we were entering the One Man's Dream attraction (me, dh, my mom, and all SEVEN of our children, including the baby.)
If we are able to win, and definately bigger than the typical family, AND including a single senior citizen, than anyone can win.

ETA: So nice to see another big family on here! :)

I think the biggest factors are 1) Attendance (more people decreases your odds of winning, we went in September) and 2) being in the right place at the right time.

Ok, enough about that. Any new rumors about FREE DINING???

Last Feb, My daughter and I won dream fastpasses at slash Mt. We also won the mouse ears at MGM. Just the two of us. Plain ol' ordinairy folk.

So what's the deal with the new marketing plan? "What Will You Celebrate?" Are they only doing the free day on your birthday or will they do other things for other "celebrations". When I booked my package they asked what I will be celebrating and I told them it's my anniversary. I'm not getting my hopes up for anything but it would be kind of nice if they actually did something since they asked me. Just my opinion.

So what's the deal with the new marketing plan? "What Will You Celebrate?" Are they only doing the free day on your birthday or will they do other things for other "celebrations". When I booked my package they asked what I will be celebrating and I told them it's my anniversary. I'm not getting my hopes up for anything but it would be kind of nice if they actually did something since they asked me. Just my opinion.

Do you think they would make a note if I tell them we're celebrating still being employed? :rotfl:
[Here's hoping that will be true!]

We were there during the year of dreams
Sept 2007 and Aug 2008. We won 3 times during our 10 day stay in 2007 and we didn't win at all in 2008 (9 days). In 2008 I don't even think I saw the dream team. In 2007 we saw them everywhere we turned.

I am still a little surprised that Disney has not come up with some sort of
"frequent traveler", "frequent flyer", "past passenger" type of rate that many resorts are doing.

Or atleast some sort of loyalty program.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter