Rivers of Light --- Almost Ready for Prime Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone waiting for ROL for this year can put that on the back burner. If you get a soft opening date, consider yourself lucky, but this won't be an normal operating attraction until 2017:

Rivers of Light – Coming in 2017, this powerful theatrical production takes Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests on a magnificent emotional journey – a visual mix of water, fire, nature and light choreographed to an original musical score. Continuing the park’s transformation from a day-into-nighttime experience, the amazing after-dark show on the banks of Discovery River celebrates the majesty of nature and the connection between animals and humans in the world. With innovative and never-before-seen technology, Rivers of Light will be unlike any other production ever staged at Walt Disney World Resort.

Maybe it's nothing like anything ever seen because it never will be seen? :laughing:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/rivers-of-light-to-open-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-in-2017/

Last edited:
Given that "2017" is only 23 days away, I don't think that would be a stretch to do.

Right, I guess i am thinks Ng if they knew Rivers of Light would open next Month or even in first quarter they would have said that rather than a vague "2017" so in my mind it is way more than a month away so why do full on soft Openings now - especially if all the talk is true that they will update /add to it as not impressive enough

(Fully aware speculation - just feels like announcing a vague "2017" wouldn't make soft openings now seem realistic to me)

I guess I'd look at as, they missed the originally opening date, and loathe to issue any sort commitment to another date. They are trying to open as soon as practical, being diligent about testing etc. They know at this point by their internal timetable, that at this point no 2016 date is likely. So you just say 2017 to at least pacify those asking when it's going to open. Knowing full well you are trying for January, but are allowing for any setback.

Right, I guess i am thinks Ng if they knew Rivers of Light would open next Month or even in first quarter they would have said that rather than a vague "2017" so in my mind it is way more than a month away so why do full on soft Openings now - especially if all the talk is true that they will update /add to it as not impressive enough

(Fully aware speculation - just feels like announcing a vague "2017" wouldn't make soft openings now seem realistic to me)

To be fair, I think this whole debacle taught them that even if they are "sure" a show/ride/whatever is good to go for the next month, they will still be apprehensive about putting ANY kind of date. I wouldn't be surprised if you start to see fewer seasonal dates, and you start to see more yearly dates.

2017 gives them from Jan 1st to Dec 31st to still be correct. Winter 2017 only gives them from Jan to March.

But who knows.

To be fair, I think this whole debacle taught them that even if they are "sure" a show/ride/whatever is good to go for the next month, they will still be apprehensive about putting ANY kind of date. I wouldn't be surprised if you start to see fewer seasonal dates, and you start to see more yearly dates.

2017 gives them from Jan 1st to Dec 31st to still be correct. Winter 2017 only gives them from Jan to March.

But who knows.
I think they will stick with seasonal dates but won't announced an actual date until much much closer than people expect. I wouldn't be surprised to see an opening date announcement to be a week to as close as a day before the opening date.

Is there a right person to ask or a right way to ask if there are soft openings or previews?
We are going Jan 30th and I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

Is there a right person to ask or a right way to ask if there are soft openings or previews?
We are going Jan 30th and I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
Soft openings are usually right plac right time. We don't know if there will be softs in January or not.

But who knows.

Yet in the same announcement they committed to Summer 2017 for Pandora which is even farther from done/practice runs than ROL, they also committed Spring 2017 for the new ride at Typhoon Lagoon which is under construction ....

What you could read from this is that it's being delayed even longer than a winter opening but they don't want to say because folks will be complaining some more. If this is the show done that they previewed, why wait? Fanfare is over. All they need to do is staff it with it's own CMs now. They should be able to fine tune a date no problem. I'm more likely to read they want to do more to it based on the previews and now don't have a date for that. Again, like all others - just my opinion.

Agree they have learned some lessons and we have no idea what they are thinking .... but given the history of this project, the non-WOW reviews and more ... I wouldn't read anything in to this. They made a CYA announcement, no more.

Yet in the same announcement they committed to Summer 2017 for Pandora which is even farther from done/practice runs than ROL, they also committed Spring 2017 for the new ride at Typhoon Lagoon which is under construction ....

What you could read from this is that it's being delayed even longer than a winter opening but they don't want to say because folks will be complaining some more. If this is the show done that they previewed, why wait? Fanfare is over. All they need to do is staff it with it's own CMs now. They should be able to fine tune a date no problem. I'm more likely to read they want to do more to it based on the previews and now don't have a date for that. Again, like all others - just my opinion.

Agree they have learned some lessons and we have no idea what they are thinking .... but given the history of this project, the non-WOW reviews and more ... I wouldn't read anything in to this. They made a CYA announcement, no more.
Because the previews didn't show everything. The first set of previews didn't have the fire affects, the second set of previews did. I have heard there are some other tweaks that also are still being made before this debuts. Iger was supposedly more pleased with the latest previews.

I wonder if there'll be additional cast member previews this coming week? Will be there Monday and our child is starting the college program in February. Thought we could possibly talk our way in.

Wait Pandora isn't until SEPT 2017 now !?!?!? Ugh ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter