!!! PLEASE READ!!! Important News Regarding Swaps & Shares!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strollers - those who fly have problems bringing strollers along. Extra piece of luggage. or buy a cheap one? Naw. My DD needed a stroller, yet she is too big for the "cheap ones". I was going to rent a Disney one each day until I read the stroller swaps. I get in at the beginning of one and yes, I paid $10, but $10 for eight days versus what I would have paid for a Disney stroller? No brainer.

Refrigerators - once again, those who fly can't bring one, or an ice chest. The frig swaps are the only way to go.

I'm sad these are ending but understand. But I think there are enough people who will bring ones they won't ever need again and be willing to share.

I have never had a problem @ an airline. I roll the child up to the door the child exits the stroller, I fold it up the flight attendent takes it and when I exit the plane my stroller is waiting for me. I have my stroller and don't have to worry about what condition the stroller is going to be in. Refridgerators, I just pay for or stay @ a moderate where they are free. Once again no worry about whether it will be there, working and in good condition. Problem solved.

I do have a question about the stroller swaps. Some of you claim that the money goes towards "maintenance" of the stroller. What maintenance? I have strollers for years and never had to pay any kind of money to maintain them. Do they take them to Jiffy Lube?:laughing: Seriously- what are they "maintaining" with the money?

Wow !! I am crushedaboutthe fridgae and photopass shares ! I need a fridge fo sure but can live withot PP 1 actually this could hurt Disney a little too as mstPP sars just wont buy it anyway so Disney loose a few sales !! But the fridge really hurts ! Thank god ness right now I am in some free ones so they will continue but next year! Yikes

Why would you know or care about DVC? There is a difference between a $100 stroller (at best) and buying into DVC
Do you own DVC??? No!
If you did you would have it Proudly displayed in your signature like the owners do. You would also know that we are ALLOWED to do this according to OUR contracts.
We worked hard, saved and invested in a promise that was Disney. You have not. You don't have that sort of investment do you??
There is no need for rule police! As a whole, we DVC owners police ourselves. We know when, where, how to work with our points. This being said...
We also allow Non-owners to rent a nice villa that they would not be able to unless they put down the CASH UP Front to OWN. We pay taxes, and maintenance EVERY YEAR even if we don't go to Disney that year---do you??? I have donated/given my points away for good causes, gifted to friends or family. Can you say you've given away trips to Disney?Made Magic for others??

Just because you can't get your stroller or fridge-cheap you should not comment on what you have NO CLUE about or are not a part of: which is the DVC program.

Sorry guys-this got me steamed!!!! You can't put a LEGAL activity with what has been considered by the DIS as questionable in the same category.

So, you rent out your DVC points to help others? Your motive is not at all a way of offsetting the cost of something YOU chose to purchase? You made the choice to buy and pay taxes and maintenance every year whether you go or not.

No, I am one that can not afford to buy into DVC. I, however, do my best to give my kids(and myself) a nice vacation.

I really don't see any difference between "renting" DVC points and swapping a stroller. Same basic principles. Party A buys and pays for the "product" and then rents out part of the product's use to Party B to help offset the cost of the "product" when they are not personally using it! And the stroller swaps, fridge swaps etc usually become free once the item's cost has been recouped.

You all "police yourselves"? So every DVC owner is upstanding and honest? I find that hard to believe. I would find that hard to believe for any group.

I'm sorry but when you ask if the other poster has given away trips, that was just rude. I can't afford to give away trips to Disney either!! Kudos to you if you can and have done so!! However, there are many other ways to make a little magic for others that don't involve any money at all. I do give out kind words, hold doors for people, donate my unused fastpasses and extra bottles of water when I'm checking out, move back and let others kids sit next to mine so they can see the parade, etc.. I believe all that does make a difference in someone's day. True, most of us can't give away a vacation. But, we can make someone's vacation (or any day) a little better by being kind.

And how would you know if the other poster is or isn't a DVC owner? All DVC owners have to display it in their signature?? Is that some unwritten code?

All they are saying is find someplace else to run your swaps. They no longer wish to allocate the bandwidth or board space to accommodate them here.

That is not what I'm reading in the post it's more about the liability of money being exchanged and then it is a services paid for and who is liable to the then "consumer" whom may be disappointed with the service (swap gone bad). I too don't want to see them go I see it as a personal risk I take to "donate" my $10 in hope of haveing a fridge for a week instead of paying $70 :mad:

Oh man. I just paid for my swap this morning through Paypal!

Its the DISboards right to make rules, but I think it should be fair. If its just the money changing hands, then the renting DVC points should be banned too.

Yes, I have rented points from a DISer. I was more worried about that $1000 than I am about the $15 for my swap! I was willing to sacrifice $15 if things didn't work out.

Maggie

Out of curiosity - seems like it is possible that the swaps will turn into being advertised with a wink and a nod that the proper thing to do is to offer a donation to the organizer.

It seems to me it might be in the DIS best interest to instead create a subforum where the rules are laid out and you clearly make it a buyer beware situation.

If there is pressure from Disney - why not state the rules on the Photopass is that one full price CD must be purchased and then a $20 copy CD must be purchased from Disney Photopass as well. This makes the swaps perfectly legal and seems like a reasonable solution that will keep everyone happy.

1. The original stroller swap (several years ago) was a donated stroller. Over time, swappers mentioned that the stroller needed wipes, or a rain cover or whatever. Someone usually stepped up and offered to bring that item to WDW when they were there and just leave it with the stroller. No money changed hands and no one was required to add anything to the swap in order to participate. I don't see how this would be a "wink and a nod" donation to the swap organizer, who may have already had their trip to WDW and will never get to use the donated item. Maybe I'm missing something here that you're seeing?

2. I don't think that creating a subforum for swaps is going to address the major concern of Pete and the webmasters. The issue is that money was changing hands in order to create and maintain these swaps. It's an activity that has been prohibited on the DIS for quite some time and has become lax in the past couple of years. There was already a "buyer beware" statement in the stickies, so that's sort of reinventing the wheel.

3. There is no pressure from Disney to stop the Photopass Shares, as some may think. Otherwise, there would be other websites that encourage them that would also be stopping them. They're are being stopped because of the money that is being collected by the share organizer. If someone wants to donate their Photopass for others to use, take the time to burn CDs and mail them at their own expense, that would be okay.

I do have a question about the stroller swaps. Some of you claim that the money goes towards "maintenance" of the stroller. What maintenance? I have strollers for years and never had to pay any kind of money to maintain them. Do they take them to Jiffy Lube?:laughing: Seriously- what are they "maintaining" with the money?

The strollers break down over time. the swap i am organizing I had to replace the seat, the front wheel, and the front axle. This costs money as does the shipping. Also for accessories which get lost such as a rain cover, extended shade covering, etc.

I am sorry but I have to address this. There are plenty of places I would like to take my children while they are still young. I am willing to bet that everyone has plenty of destinations that they would like to take their kids. The problem is that if you can't afford to then you can't afford to. My parents would have loved to take me to WDW when I was young. They couldn't. They took me when I was 14. It was very magical. Heck we didn't even stay on property and I thought (and still do think) that it was an amazing trip! My parents had to budget for years for that trip and they managed to do it without swapping anything. If anything I think you are on a high horse so to speak. You want what you want and feel entitled to it. Just because someone saves for years then they are entitled to more than those who can afford to go every week? Really?:confused3

I never ONCE said someone who saves for years are entitled to anything more than someone who can spend a month at WDW. I am not entitled to anything and never claimed to be. Being on a high horse is sitting in judgement of someone you know absolutely nothing about. Being on a high horse is pretending you have the answers to everything. I have neither, I don't pretend to guess peoples ability to pay for their vacations.

Ending swaps will not END anyone's vacation, but the swaps made it easier to have a little extra spending money was my point. I work an extra job to take my children to WDW, I coupon, do sweepstakes and live on a budget. None of our vacations have ever, ever been put on a credit card that I had to pay later. If I cannot pay for it now, it doesn't happen. Do I want to be able to do all this, oh yes. But want and need are 2 different things as another poster suggested.

The difference between renting DVC points and a stroller/fridge swap is we don't need to involve Disney. They don't have to schlep DVC points back and forth to rooms. They don't need to search through bell services and be reamed out if points go missing. They don't take up space in the storage area.

Besides, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I own DVC but don't have it in my signature. I'm sure I will be forgiven about that.

I have never had a problem @ an airline. I roll the child up to the door the child exits the stroller, I fold it up the flight attendent takes it and when I exit the plane my stroller is waiting for me. I have my stroller and don't have to worry about what condition the stroller is going to be in. Refridgerators, I just pay for or stay @ a moderate where they are free. Once again no worry about whether it will be there, working and in good condition. Problem solved.

Sorry if I confused anyone...my post was not regarding checking in a stroller...for us, now, it would be all of the extra baggage fees. I do realize a stroller gate-check is still considered a "perk" for many airlines, however, the extra we would pay in luggage for all of us, coupled with the increased price in airfare is what made our decision to drive.

If you can let me know where I can find those cheap prices, I'd love to see it! Always looking for a deal. When we last went in 2005...we paid 130.00pp RT on SW. No extra fees. When I looked for our family of 5, the cheapest I found was 258.00pp RT, at horrible times, and that didn't include the extra fees. When we did the math, it was waaay more expensive to fly this time around!

Southwest doesn't charge anything "extra". Each ticketed passenger is allowed 2 checked bags free and also 1 carry-on and 1 personal item (computer bag, camera bag, purse, etc.)

It's all timing. I usually fly Spirit out of ACY, but their prices were greater this year than last years. Considering we're in a "recession/depression", I refuse to pay more this year than I did last year. My compromise you ask? I have to suck it up and fly out of PHL for $59 each way for 4 of us.

I am a member of 2 swaps and the woman that runs them both has consistantly had to repurchase items that came with the stroller (Mommy hooks, fan, sunshade, etc, that have been reported back to her via swappers). There is also things that need to be cleaned, tires replaced (those things do alot of traveling - probably more than what was intended) and general upkeep in order for them to be able to stay in use. I know she has also had to replace one or two strollers along the way, and they were not cheap. I would not be able to keep track of it all like she does. :scared1::scared1:

BTW, Mods....one suggestion....since we are banning swaps, and it's freeing up all the Sticky space, can we create a sticky for alternative offsite stroller company recommendations? All the numbers and reviews of the companies on one thread...I think that would be helpful! :goodvibes

We're not banning swaps. We can still have them as long as they are free to all participants. Those swaps will still appear in the sticky threads.

If you would like to have a stroller company thread w/recommendations and reviews, it would be more appropriate to the Disney for Families Forum. You might want to make a suggestion to those moderators, since that could be helpful to other DISers.

The difference between renting DVC points and a stroller/fridge swap is we don't need to involve Disney. They don't have to schlep DVC points back and forth to rooms. They don't need to search through bell services and be reamed out if points go missing. They don't take up space in the storage area.

I own DVC but don't have it in my signature. I'm sure I will be forgiven about that.

Seems to me that Disney would put a stop to storing these things if it bothered them so much. Or they would make the on site stroller rentals more affordable.

Since it's "Earth Week", I thought I'd share my thoughts on stroller swaps. :) I felt that the stroller swaps are a green alternative to buying a throw away stroller at Wal-Mart just for the week. Landfills don't need cheap strollers that were just used for a week at Disney. I'm also in the camp that doesn't really need a stroller at home, but a long day of walking is going to be tough on a 3 year old! So, I'm very unlikely to pay an airline to ship a cheap stroller home that I won't need.

Here's what my sister did with a stroller she didn't want after our trip to WDW trip in August 2005. She left it outside her room with a note that said something like free stroller for whoever wants it. A family did take it and sent my sister a nice postcard from Disney thanking her. (She left the luggage tag on it so they had her address.) The family appreciated the gesture and my sister loved getting the postcard. They did say they were keeping her note and would set the stroller out after their trip. She never received another postcard so we don't know what happened to the stroller.

I know it's unlikely that a fellow Diser will get the stroller if you don't set up a meeting place. But someone can use it and it's a great feeling to create some extra magic. And it keeps the stroller out of landfills.

All I know is that the reason given for stopping the swaps is money changing hands based on a transaction from a post on these boards. If you can refute the fact that money transactions are not happening on the DVC rental boards based on a post on these boards, then I am wrong.

If the rules are that no money changes hands for swaps....then, why does the DVC Points Rental board get a pass on this rule? Why not just say "We are stopping swaps because we want to."

Speed :teleport:

I am a member of 2 swaps and the woman that runs them both has consistantly had to repurchase items that came with the stroller (Mommy hooks, fan, sunshade, etc, that have been reported back to her via swappers). There is also things that need to be cleaned, tires replaced (those things do alot of traveling - probably more than what was intended) and general upkeep in order for them to be able to stay in use. I know she has also had to replace one or two strollers along the way, and they were not cheap. I would not be able to keep track of it all like she does. :scared1::scared1:

So essentially she has a stroller rental business that she is promoting on the DIS which is a clear violating of the DIS guidelines. Seems pretty cut and dry to me as to why they are being discontinued.

I don't think it's very nice that so many people are attacking/being snarky/meanspirited about this. I am sure the mods volunteer a ton of their time to this board and I am sure this decision was not easy. I know it's hard to see all the angles sometimes..but going to Disneyworld is a WANT not a need. So the shares and such are still a want, definitely not a need. We don't need them to survive and we certainly don't "need" them here. I think we are losing perspective just a little bit about what's important.

No joking.
And your analogy doesn't work--If something goes wrong with the car the company is responsible--if something goes wrong with the stroller (fridge,photopass,whatever) people complain to the DIS.

Whatever the DISs reason is for stopping the swaps everyone must be accepting of it.

And judging by most of the swappers responses,also the worst.

The analogy works just fine. It's the same thing. If the DIS wants to stop it because they are getting complaints, then ok. But that has nothing to do with whether doing a swap like that is equivalent to "getting something for nothing." Paying $15 to use a stroller for a week is exactly like paying $200 to use a car for a week.

You're right. The DIS can set whatever policy they want. If people disagree with the policy, they can post their reasons for not being happy with it.

I've read every thread on here and all I saw from the swappers is their opinion about why they don't like the policy and how they think it's unfair vs the DVC forum areas. The only nastiness I saw was the anti swappers who didn't just feel the need to give their opinions about why these threads should be banned, but instead, decided to accuse anyone who participated in swaps of acting illegally, imorally, trying to "scam disney out of money", and trying to "get something for nothing".
Saying something like "if you can't afford to rent a Disney stroller, than maybe you shouldn't be going to WDW" is just plain nasty and uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter