Perplexed about half closed Hollywood Studios disunplugged view.

For me personally, DHS (or whatever we're supposed to cal it these days) lost its charm many many years ago. In the 90's, when I'd go regularly, it was my favorite park to do when I was by myself. And I absolutely LOVED Who Wants to be a Millionaire, being a trivia buff. Once that closed (and a lot of stuff closed/got changed before, and shortly after it - too long to name, but you get the point) it lost most of its appeal for me. I must also add the caveat that I can't do "thrill rides" due to spinal/neck surgery in '98, so TZTOT and RNRC are out, although I do the chicken exits on both. I also made a decision not to do ST, due to roughness, and not being a fan. I also never found TSMM to be "all that", so am totally happy doing it only once a trip, or even not at all.

I will say I LOVE Fantasmic (Sorcerer Mickey and all, so DUH!) :), and would visit the park just for that, if I already had a hopper. I will probably do the Star Wars stuff once (if I can, with my neck) to see it because it's new, and I do like Toy Story, so again - will try it because it's new, and do what I can with my neck. Then I'll decide if it's worth it for me to go back for that, or not.

Other than that, I have had no interest in DHS for a long time, and it may take a very long time to get my interest back - if at all. But this is all IMHO, of course.

Last edited:
This is basic psychology. It's the same reason when a few stores close in a mall people view it as "empty" or that "all the stores are leaving". Or one show getting cancelled and "all the good shows are getting cancelled". Many humans interpret small, often insignificant, changes as large.

Add on top of that, that there are many areas in DHS where there are scrims or pseudo-walls, and it gives many people the impression it is half-closed, even if mathematically it is not.

I agree about the physiology element to it - especially with the construction walls up it can "feel" like half the park is gone. I think the point of the thread (or at least in my comments) is that it isn't factually true but Pete and the team saying 1/2 the park is closed (and in one report Pete said it isn't even half a park it's a quarter of a park) people might think he is reporting that as fact - that literally half the park is closed, which isn't the case

I agree about the physiology element to it - especially with the construction walls up it can "feel" like half the park is gone. I think the point of the thread (or at least in my comments) is that it isn't factually true but Pete and the team saying 1/2 the park is closed (and in one report Pete said it isn't even half a park it's a quarter of a park) people might think he is reporting that as fact - that literally half the park is closed, which isn't the case

Maybe what perplexes me isn't that they see it half closed. They don't have a caveat on that statement saying there might actually be more there now if you only liked the thrill rides. If you've never seen it, there is a lot for a wide range of ages and interests to discover that could take more than 1 day to see it all.

The blanket, it's half closed, disney is trying hard, why is it so crowded thats really confusing with them being so objective about everything else good and bad.

The closure of the Osborne Lights was another unhappy development. While seasonal & after dark, it was a huge draw for me & for many others. Never a fan of park hopper, I used to plan 1 HS day during my November week & a half trip just to catch the Lights. Closing Osborne Lights really nailed the lid on the coffin for me.

I think it also has to do with perspective. Construction walls can make for feeling closed in as well.

Here is my map I have from mid-September 2011;granted I haven't check to see if it changed prior to Disney announcing Star Wars and Toy Story Lands:

upload_2017-1-9_13-20-0.png

Here is Disney's current map pulled up today. I have tried to orient it as much as I could to the above map.

upload_2017-1-9_13-23-34.png

I haven't actually tallied up what is gone between the two maps but just basing off of overall space even available to move around in and to see/explore/eat/shop, etc from a guest perspective. Both maps are using different scales(Edited to correct spelling) and a bit of a different layout for sure but when you look at it it just seems limited or concentrated in a small-ish space/closed in.

Now as a disclaimer I won't be skipping DHS and I still have enough to do there at least me personally. I also have Park Hopper (one of the very few add-ons I'm willing to pay for) so for me I think about it in a slightly different way than someone who is limited to one park per day and the offering at DHS not enough for them.

Last edited:
Now, there is a lot of construction (and construction walls) - so that I get about taking away from the experience. but really, what was a "must do" before that is now no longer there for you?

Thinking about this more, does it really take away? It's still a backstage hollywood theme for the park and construction is part of that. If you know what was there sure it's missing and you can't go there but it's backstage themed to have construction and construction walls up so maybe someone who doens't know the park sees it differently.

sorry someone threw me for a loop about the night safari where they loved driving around the Savannah at night and it really changed how I look at that ride when you can't see anything.

Here is Disney's current map pulled up today. I have tried to orient it as much as I could to the above map.

Below is an image of an in park map found at HS (not sure if it's still up). I think it makes it easier to compare it to 2011 map. It also shows the new general use building (blue next to RnR) which is only accessible with a new court yard opened when the villians show is running. It's also the waiting area for the express pass bus service but you need a pass to wait there.

It's also a nice list of the main 15 attractions that are around to do.

There is 1 error in the yellow section where the streets of america between muppets and scifi dine in is construction walls with the muppets side and empire state building mock ups not being there so you can't walk directly from muppets to scifi or behind muppets.

I was thinking it might actually be the original plan of what a muppets courtyard was going to be and artist indulgence.

HollywoodStudios_InParkMap-1.jpg

Last edited:
Due to all the "Hollywood Studios is a half day park" talk last spring, I had only allocated about 6 hours during our week long stay. (Rope drop for TSM, followed by fast passes for RNR, Startours, and TT, followed by lunch at Prime Tyme and then exit the park for an afternoon of swimming at the resort).

What I failed to take into consideration was that we were traveling with teens who were brand new fans of Star Wars (saw The Force Awakens at Christmas and then borrowed older cousin's DVDs of earlier films). They LOVED all the Stars Wars stuff. They were more than willing to wait in a 60 minute line for Kylo Ren. They spent hours looking at the artifacts. They wanted to ride Star Tours multiple times to experience different sequences. They stood in line to watch the show in front of the theatre. We ended up spending two full days at the "half day park" including watching the fireworks twice. The Star Wars firework show was by far preferred by our entire group over the extremely tired Illuminations and the only slightly less tired Wishes show.

Due to all the "Hollywood Studios is a half day park" talk last spring, I had only allocated about 6 hours during our week long stay. (Rope drop for TSM, followed by fast passes for RNR, Startours, and TT, followed by lunch at Prime Tyme and then exit the park for an afternoon of swimming at the resort).

What I failed to take into consideration was that we were traveling with teens who were brand new fans of Star Wars (saw The Force Awakens at Christmas and then borrowed older cousin's DVDs of earlier films). They LOVED all the Stars Wars stuff. They were more than willing to wait in a 60 minute line for Kylo Ren. They spent hours looking at the artifacts. They wanted to ride Star Tours multiple times to experience different sequences. They stood in line to watch the show in front of the theatre. We ended up spending two full days at the "half day park" including watching the fireworks twice. The Star Wars firework show was by far preferred by our entire group over the extremely tired Illuminations and the only slightly less tired Wishes show.
But I do have to ask here...did you take the time to look at the offerings DHS had? Did you discuss this with your children and see what their likes and interests were? Did you go through the Disney website with them discussing the rides, the attractions, the shows, etc with them?

While you may take consideration in what others say, especially here on the DIS you might take into consideration what the DIS Unplugged Podcast says, at the same time this is your visit not theirs. Just my opinion but what it sounds like to me is that the term "half-day" park stuck with you without taking stock into what your family's interests were and allowing wiggle room.

Being one who always tries to make lemonade with a half-empty glass I will say that in my opinion, HS is the best park to visit on a rainy day. Doing some quick inventory in my head if I'm not mistaken, most if not all attractions offer sheltered lines and the rides/shows themselves are indoors. Also it's small size allows for short walks to the next attraction. We were in AK one day way back by Rafiki when the sky opened up.....not fun. So there's that at least!

Below is an image of an in park map found at HS (not sure if it's still up). I think it makes it easier to compare it to 2011 map. It also shows the new general use building (blue next to RnR) which is only accessible with a new court yard opened when the villians show is running. It's also the waiting area for the express pass bus service but you need a pass to wait there.

It's also a nice list of the main 15 attractions that are around to do.

There is 1 error in the yellow section where the streets of america between muppets and scifi dine in is construction walls with the muppets side and empire state building mock ups not being there so you can't walk directly from muppets to scifi or behind muppets.

I was thinking it might actually be the original plan of what a muppets courtyard was going to be and artist indulgence.

View attachment 214190
Thank you for that picture. I don't like the map they have available online on Disney's website. The format isn't as easy to really look at.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised more stuff isn't closed. Two of my favorite shows at Hollywood Studios, Beauty and the Beast Live and Voyage of the Little Mermaid, both feel very outdated and ripe for updating. I'd be sad if they outright replaced them, but both could be brought into the 2010s (or 2000s, even). I'd love to see Voyage replaced with something like King Triton's Concert from Tokyo Disney, and depending on how it does maybe BatB can be updated with the live action designs and new music, but that's beside the point. I wonder if Disney knows the "Half the Park is Closed" mentality would be pervasive with everything they're doing, despite not actually closing half the park, and will update the rest of the park once Star Wars and Toy Story are done, because there's still some things that need updating.

For me, I have never entirely understoof all the disgruntlement with DHS. My family and I have always enjoyed it since our first visit in 2008.

Last year, our friends (with DD14 and DS 9) went for the first time and one full day was just barely enough to fit in a full tour of the park (even having to skip a couple of attractions). They said DHS was their favourite park.

I brought my childhood best friend for her first trip in September for just 3 days and we actually cut Epcot into a half day and spent a full day at DHS and still had to skip a bunch of stuff (because she spent ages with Star Wars lol). She LOVED DHS. The Star Wars fireworks were amazing - WOW (but only from the right position...doubt it is as impressive from further away).

Maybe many folks here consider many of the attractions a "once and done"? I enjoy the shows and happily re-watch them over and and over again. And of course, RnRC and ToT are awesome.

For me, I have never entirely understoof all the disgruntlement with DHS. My family and I have always enjoyed it since our first visit in 2008.

Last year, our friends (with DD14 and DS 9) went for the first time and one full day was just barely enough to fit in a full tour of the park (even having to skip a couple of attractions). They said DHS was their favourite park.

I brought my childhood best friend for her first trip in September for just 3 days and we actually cut Epcot into a half day and spent a full day at DHS and still had to skip a bunch of stuff (because she spent ages with Star Wars lol). She LOVED DHS. The Star Wars fireworks were amazing - WOW (but only from the right position...doubt it is as impressive from further away).

Maybe many folks here consider many of the attractions a "once and done"? I enjoy the shows and happily re-watch them over and and over again. And of course, RnRC and ToT are awesome.
I hear ya but I also think it's like the rep AK had and probably to at least some extent still does have (except we now have EE and will have Pandora) of being a) a half-day park b) a large zoo

People just have different likes.

As a repeat visitor, there isn't much there for us at the moment. We definitely still go, but we only allocate a few hours. We are ONLY interested in ToT, RnR, TSMM, Star Tours and maybe Muppets (for nostalgia). We can do without seeing the Disney Junior stuff, any Frozen crap, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and Indiana Jones. Any of the other offerings aren't enough to keep us, 2 adults, busy for more than 10 min (all the SW stuff, the march, launch bay). So we go in the am and bang out what we like, leave for the pool midday and if the mood strikes us we MIGHT return for one of the nighttime shows.

I am looking forward to when the walls come down so that the park feels less congested. I am sure the place will be spectaculr when SWLand and TSLand are done, but until then it's a half day at best FOR US.

I don't see it being half-closed. The rides are still open... there's just half as much room to wonder around through.

However, I miss the Writers Stop. :(

I think you are forgetting one big closure at HS that, for me, was the nail in the coffin. High Octane had been my happy place for as long as I can remember and they just out a wall in front with little to no warning.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised more stuff isn't closed. Two of my favorite shows at Hollywood Studios, Beauty and the Beast Live and Voyage of the Little Mermaid, both feel very outdated and ripe for updating. I'd be sad if they outright replaced them, but both could be brought into the 2010s (or 2000s, even). I'd love to see Voyage replaced with something like King Triton's Concert from Tokyo Disney, and depending on how it does maybe BatB can be updated with the live action designs and new music, but that's beside the point. I wonder if Disney knows the "Half the Park is Closed" mentality would be pervasive with everything they're doing, despite not actually closing half the park, and will update the rest of the park once Star Wars and Toy Story are done, because there's still some things that need updating.
I would imagine those shows getting an update after the new lands are open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter