Perplexed about half closed Hollywood Studios disunplugged view.

Accident

DIS Veteran
I've been really perplexed the last couple months with the amount of "hollywood is half closed" comments coming from the disunplugged team and i'm really confused why this is their view. I'm mostly confused as their connection with the travel industry and this seems like a very limited view on what is opened still that they might want clients to know and want to stay another day.

If you have never been to hollywood there is a lot to do and in my opinion it's still the best balanced park with something for different ages, interests. It has a good variety of things for different ages, different interests, some of the better if not best in park dining. I didn't count it but I think it still has more attractions than animal kingdom does and will after pandora opens.

If you are that thrill seeker, the 3 main rides are still there and you probably can add fireworks to the list and probably have an interest in star wars so now there is more to do during the construction than before it.

They used to make comments that they didn't look forward to hollywood studios before the construction started so the only thing I can come up with is if you aren't looking for attractions and just want to wander around and experience the atmosphere is why they see it half closed. Again I think a little narrow view, especially being connected to the travel industry.

This is basically a frequent traveler/locals problem becasue you know you don't want 90% of the place but not that much is really closed unless you loved just walking around and being there.

What am I missing here? 1 show, 1 counter service, 1 childrens themed playground and 1 meet and greet and 1 street performance gone is not half the park.

Are we not happy they are aggressively getting parks with less popularity up to date and taking 5-6 years instead of 10-15 to make it better than it was before they started?

Last edited:
I've been really perplexed the last couple months with the amount of "hollywood is half closed" comments coming from the disunplugged team and i'm really confused why this is their view. I'm mostly confused as their connection with the travel industry and this seems like a very limited view on what is opened still that they might want clients to know and want to stay another day.

If you have never been to hollywood there is a lot to do and in my opinion it's still the best balanced park with something for different ages, interests. It has a good variety of things for different ages, different interests, some of the better if not best in park dining. I didn't count it but I think it still has more attractions than animal kingdom does and will after pandora opens.

If you are that thrill seeker, the 3 main rides are still there and you probably can add fireworks to the list and probably have an interest in star wars so now there is more to do during the construction than before it.

They used to make comments that they didn't look forward to hollywood studios before the construction started so the only thing I can come up with is if you aren't looking for attractions and just want to wander around and experience the atmosphere is why they see it half closed. Again I think a little narrow view, especially being connected to the travel industry.

This is basically a frequent traveler/locals problem becasue you know you don't want 90% of the place but not that much is really closed unless you loved just walking around and being there.

What am I missing here? 1 show, 1 counter service, 1 childrens themed playground and 1 meet and greet and 1 street performance gone is not half the park.

Are we not happy they are aggressively getting parks with less popularity up to date and taking 5-6 years instead of 10-15 to make it better than it was before they started?
I have to disagree.....half the park is literally closed....what upsets me is not that they are making these improvements; its that they still charge you a price for things that simply do not exist...I go there now because my pass allows me to, but i would never advise someone to go there for just a day

I agree! I was all set to skip this park on our next trip, but my DS was disappointed about missing Rock 'n Roller Coaster, so I looked at the actual list, and really didn't think it sounded as bad as I'd heard either. We're going after all (for dinner/evening on our water park day) and I hope the number of folks who are avoiding it works in our favor!

I have to disagree.....half the park is literally closed....what upsets me is not that they are making these improvements; its that they still charge you a price for things that simply do not exist...I go there now because my pass allows me to, but i would never advise someone to go there for just a day

would you mind elaberating on what makes it half the park closed. Attraction wise it's not half of them gone. Land wise, toy story land was backstage area previously so that isn't gone from what was there before and star wars is only 11 acres, the park was bigger than 22 acres of guest accessible area so land wise it's not half the park (ignoring that part of that 11 acres was backstage)

I am of the same view as @Accident. really only the Backlot Tour, Lights Motors, Action, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids closed - the vast majority (way more than 1/2) are still open .... plus they have added the Star Wars Show and Captain Phasma's March and the Star Wars Projection show

Our last trip there we spent a full day and didn't even get to some stuff we wanted to.

Now, there is a lot of construction (and construction walls) - so that I get about taking away from the experience. but really, what was a "must do" before that is now no longer there for you?

I am of the same view as @Accident. really only the Backlot Tour, Lights Motors, Action, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids closed - the vast majority (way more than 1/2) are still open .... plus they have added the Star Wars Show and Captain Phasma's March and the Star Wars Projection show

I forgot about backlot and I guess that animation building changing to the star wars museum and meet and greet we could count as missing now. I'm not sure I would say backlot closed as it closed in 2014 and to be honest, was it really the same after it got shorter? To me it felt like one of those attractions that stayed around a lot longer than it should have just to have more to do in HS.

To throw this out there. If you consider hollywood studios half closed, did you want to go to hollywood studios before the construction. if yes, are the things you wanted gone now?

Last edited:

I agree with accident, they really haven't closed a lot of attractions, just a lot of space that didn't have a lot of attractions in it to start with. Don't get me wrong, I loved wandering around the back part and looking at all the details in the store windows, I could easily spend a hour or two just doing that but most people didn't even go back there unless they were going to Lights, Motor, Action. I also loved the backlot tour but will admit it wasn't as good in the last years and it was originally. We never even went into the animation building after they stopped let you walk through and see the animators actually working. They still have One Man's Dream open, just moved it and even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I do enjoy walking through the museum thingy for that.

They were like this during the Downtown Disney construction as well. So I'm not surprised. If people want to stay away from DHS because it is 'half-closed' oh well, shorter waits for when I'm there. :D

This brings up a good point. Last weeks show pete made a comment that it wasn't the construction of springs that upset he, it was the traffic problems that effected more than just downtown disney that he hated. So in retrospect, he didn't mind the work in springs he hated the traffic nightware created on property.. Fair point to make after enjoying the changes and that problem gone but again was that a limited view on what was going on for springs at the time it was being built.

Is this just a situation where he didn't want to be there before, but now he can't find anything left that he did enjoy now situation?

You forgot a ride as well. 1 ride (backlot tour).

Last edited:
You forgot a ride as well. 1 ride (backlot tour) 1 show (LMA).

LMA is the "1 show" I listed, I just didnt' name it as I think it made a better point to say 1 thing from every category is gone.

backlot was closed over a year before the construction, it's a fine line to me if it should be counted. I can see the view both ways but as I mentioned earlier I think it was a ride that was kept around longer than it should have and was gone long before when they changed it to make it shorter.

I need to get some work done so I'll just point out that I had a lot of trouble finding a reason to want to go into HS before the changes were announced. To me it was a park that after a couple trips the attractions just didn't keep drawing me in..

for me, it was RnR, 50s primetime, brown derby and just lingering around because I just didn't have anything I wanted to do before this all started. My daughter would add ToT and Star Tours to the list and we'd only occasionally do fireworks if they were available and fantansmic as we aren't huge fans of them previously. However I wouldn't tell anyone who hasn't been there before that it wasn't worth going because I did enjoy everything it had to offer but it was a lot of once and done takes an hour attractions. We did enjoy them up front and I think they are mostly still there during construction now.

I'm actually thrilled they bulldozed the place and reconizing that the park was a lot of not lasting attractions that didn't draw you in trip after trip. I think this is a great way to go about a major change in the underlying theme for a park that didn't really work for most guests in the past. Especially with so much of the construction being backstage previously.

LMA is the "1 show" I listed, I just didnt' name it as I think it made a better point to say 1 thing from every category is gone.

backlot was closed over a year before the construction, it's a fine line to me if it should be counted. I can see the view both ways but as I mentioned earlier I think it was a ride that was kept around longer than it should have and was gone long before when they changed it to make it shorter.
Well it did close for the work that is being done and was something that took up multiple acres at DHS.

Well it did close for the work that is being done and was something that took up multiple acres at DHS.

I don't disagree that was disney's reasoning for closing it finally. but with it closing a year early (and many years later than I think it should have closed) I'm mixed on if I want to personally count it. I'm sure everyone that enjoyed it is counting it.

I don't disagree that was disney's reasoning for closing it finally. but with it closing a year early (and many years later than I think it should have closed) I'm mixed on if I want to personally count it. I'm sure everyone that enjoyed it is counting it.
It's a ride and it closed for new things. I'm not sure exactly how you can't count it even if you didn't like it.

It's a ride and it closed for new things. I'm not sure exactly how you can't count it even if you didn't like it.

the best way I can describe it is I was there for the last day when it was suddenly announced, I have visited with it closed before they announced the bigger picture and it feels like it was closed prior to "half the park closed" to me. If I had visited while it was opened and then everything else closed it would probably feel like it was part of the closing. It's just how it personally feels to me. like I said I'm perplexed on their view and to me, that was already closed. It's a great point on why someone else sees more closed than I do. It's not going to change how the park doesn't feel half closed to me though, you don't have to agree.

the best way I can describe it is I was there for the last day when it was suddenly announced, I have visited with it closed before they announced the bigger picture and it feels like it was closed prior to "half the park closed" to me. If I had visited while it was opened and then everything else closed it would probably feel like it was part of the closing. It's just how it personally feels to me. like I said I'm perplexed on their view and to me, that was already closed. It's a great point on why someone else sees more closed than I do. It's not going to change how the park doesn't feel half closed to me though, you don't have to agree.
I'm not talking about how the park feels half closed or whatever I'm talking about you not counting the backlot tour as part of the closures for new things. You have to count it because it's where Star Wars is being built as we speak.

This is basic psychology. It's the same reason when a few stores close in a mall people view it as "empty" or that "all the stores are leaving". Or one show getting cancelled and "all the good shows are getting cancelled". Many humans interpret small, often insignificant, changes as large.

Add on top of that, that there are many areas in DHS where there are scrims or pseudo-walls, and it gives many people the impression it is half-closed, even if mathematically it is not.

I'm not talking about how the park feels half closed or whatever I'm talking about you not counting the backlot tour as part of the closures for new things. You have to count it because it's where Star Wars is being built as we speak.

fair point, I'll add this to the list of why you feel they are viewing it this way. I feel pete has made the point on the podcast in the past that he hasn't enjoyed it since it became shorter so he's grouping more time than what is really closed (until he says differently). So yes, this might be adding to their view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter